[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any real benefit to cardio? Does it make you look any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 1092x614) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 1092x614
Is there any real benefit to cardio? Does it make you look any better by itself?

Also cardio thread what cardio are you doing for your cut?
>>
Of course there is benefit. It makes you burn calories and gives you juicy calves

Don't fall for rippletits and all of the people here that say cardio is a meme

If you can't run you aren't /fit/
>>
Cardio Is great for cutting weight if you dont mind in a deadperiod for muscle gains.

Strength will come, but slower if you run often.

Its great for the heart and melts bf.

Dont over do it or youll end up like a skelly
>>
Makes you happier
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC474733/
Makes you smarter
http://jap.physiology.org/content/101/4/1237
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/JP271552/abstract

It's literally the God-Tier exersize.
The ideal weekly exersize routine in my opinion would be 3-4 days cardio, 1-2 days resistance weight training of some sort for example the gym, calisthenics or sports such as rowing.
>>
File: 1460352473504.png (3 MB, 1440x1918) Image search: [Google]
1460352473504.png
3 MB, 1440x1918
all champions did there road work. Run your miles OP.
>>
It's good for your health, and it will improve your recovery time between heavy sets. You either put the time in on the treadmill, or you put it in between sets.

If you can't run for 30 minutes without stoping, you aren't in good shape.
>>
>>36953307

when you try to get to 10% natty you'll see how important cardio is
>>
Maybe someone has better insight, ive been oscillating between doing endurance training and strength training. I ran a marathon in september and started to bulk back up, but then got in a car accident. Coming back 2 months ago I originally was just going to do another marathon but once I started lifting heavy I remembered how much I love it. Been back on my strength program but really love endurance training too. My plan was to get my numbers reasonable again (squat 315 for reps, etc) and start endurance training again while maintaining the strength. Anyone have experience with this? When I did the marathon in september I basically let me weight plummet and lost all my size which I wont let happen again.
>>
The heart is a pretty important muscle.
>>
File: emma watson 4343.gif (4 MB, 262x438) Image search: [Google]
emma watson 4343.gif
4 MB, 262x438
>>36953843
It's the most important muscle. Like another anon said it will cut down your recovery time. The better you cardio you have the more oxygen you will get to your muscles.
>>
File: 1461446969308.jpg (60 KB, 537x720) Image search: [Google]
1461446969308.jpg
60 KB, 537x720
I don't run very well on a track or sidewalk but put me in the woods with my 15lb hiking backpack and I can run for a very long time, only breaking to drink water. Am I autistic?
>>
I just started jogging for the first time in a while.

I'm doing fasted jogging combined with yohimbine stack in the morning.

My calves burn a lot when I run. It could be due to the fact that I haven't used them enough, dehydration (probably not), lack of nutrients in the morning, not stretching enough, or bad shoes/form.

Anyone have any ideas? I take my dog with me so maybe holding her leash makes me run in a weird way but I doubt that's what it is.
>>
>>36955650
You're autistic for asking that question, but not for the running reason.

Trails are often much easier on your body and running for longer periods could be the result of that.
>>
>>36955696
Your calves aren't developed yet. It'll pass with time, just rub them afterwards to help with the pain.

I used to have the same thing. Over the next few weeks the pain simply went away. Knee joints still slightly hurt, but I think that' may be me striking wrong.
>>
I want to start rollerblading for fun cardio, however I want calf gains as well. Run before roller-blading?

Also my ass is already too big, will roller-blading affect the glutes?
>>
>>36953307
burns calories and enhances your cut. also runner's high. i started running a few weeks ago and it's fucking torture to run any faster than a 10 minute mile. guess i'll keep hating myself and pushing harder until i feel the runner's high.
>>
File: absolutely.jpg (1 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
absolutely.jpg
1 MB, 5000x5000
>is there any real benefit to cardio?

I question the information that comes from people on this board if they are asking retarded ass questions like that.
>>
As a total fucking newbie to fitness just starting out, I've got a lot of interesting stuff to take away from this thread.

I'm gonna join the gym when I finally get money but I'm just gonna start on jogs for now until I buy the gym membership.

Question though for you runners - should I jog on my heels or toes?
And also is it better to take fewer longer strides or more shorter strides? My housemate is fairly fit and he has no idea.
>>
>>36953307
How do I run anything more than 400m without dying? trying to drop down from fatass 300
>>
>>36956091
Don't Rollerblade. It's way to easy. You don't get in shape by making the activity easier. You have to make it harder.

Plus fruitbooting is ultra gay.
>>
>>36957503
Neither?
You should try to land softly on the ball of your foot, then roll up onto your toes to push forward.

Listen to your footfall. If you're thumping you're landing too far back.
>>
>>36957532
Download the app C25K and follow along. Make yourself do it. Go every other day, take a day or two of rest between each run. Believe that you can make it through and push yourself.
I found getting a fitbit really helpful because of the heart rate monitor. I realized I wasn't working nearly as hard as I should be. It really helped me push through my weakling phase.
>>
>>36957584
thanks Im gonna make it
>>
>>36955696
>>36956063
Yeah I just started running seriously for the first time in 4 years. Give them calves a rub down and the pain will go away pretty quickly.
>>
>>36953307
We literally had a thread about CBT and if they do cardio or not. The ones that did cardio are dyels/skinny fats while the ones that did are ripped.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/cardio-kills

OP listen to these idiots at your own peril. Youll def enjoy being a skinny fat like them
>>
>>36956091
>rollerblading
Are you 10 years old or something?
Cringeworthy
>>
I'm about to change my routine to include 2 days of cardio and 2 days of Squats, the last day is Deadlifts just because I love it. Is this a good idea?
>>
>>36957568

Well I know you're supposed to sprint on your toes, but jogging I never thought about
Running on my toes never makes the loud thumps like you say

But I'm going out again in a minute - I'll try what you've said here and see how it goes. Cheers for the advice
>>
>>36953307
It's one of the main ingredients in turning yourself into a fucking beast
>>
>>36957798
yeah a hambeast like you lmao
>>
>>36953307
its only good for endurance. You lose weight but not just fat you will lose muscle weight.
>>
Add running to your routine and eat more to compensate
If you cant run 5k you arnt """fit""" at all
>>
>>36957805
You're a fucking idiot, my man.
I've tried boxing against muscular gymbros and leaner cardiodudes. Guess which one is faster and harder to hit and have more stamina.
>>
Call me a meme loving fuck, but I'm afraid of cardio killing my gains.

I'm skinny and bulking and slowly entering skinnyfat territory again.

Will cardio help me lean out? I'd love to drop a bit of bodyfat, but I understand that for me, putting on mass is THE most important thing. I'm 6'5", 84-ish kg.
>>
>>36957883

>killing my gains
>claiming to be skinny fat

You're a retard m8. Just eat a lot and eat clean, Cardio won't do shit to your gains if you keep your intake high. And if you're just a fatass that can't stand Cardio just do barbell complexes, can't replaced running but it's more fatty friendly.
>>
>>36953307
It trains your heart and makes your body more efficient at getting energy from oxygen. Not everything is about looks you vapid retard.
>>
Hill sprints, my familia.
>>
>>36953307
Guys, do you lose from muscular mass doing cardio? I heard this from a few PTs from my gym. I quite like doing cardio to lose some belly and butt fat, but my PT told me that I will lose weight from everywhere, even from my muacular mass. What do you guys think?
>>
>>36958239
I think that if you run under 10k and no more than 3 times a week you are safe
>>
>>36953307
HIIT on off days and biking on my lifting days.
>>
btw swimming is the goat cardio
>>
>>36958273
>t. dyel
>>
>>36957548
>It's way to easy.
I'm pretty sure you never tried it seriously
>>
>>36957548
>it has to be hard to be effective

oh how I love drones like you
>>
ITT : retards still think cardio is some kind of voodoo vampirism
>>
>>36958313

Tbqh I'm just here to discuss cardio in general because I'm starting out on it
But I can't believe people think it's so bad
Mind you I know fuck all so
>>
Its a must. Being "build" is worthless if you feel weak and has zero endurance. You`ll get addicted to it, just as with lifting as soon you see gains and able to enjoy movement.
>>
>>36955696
Always fucking breakfast before running.
>>
>>36957503
>Question though for you runners - should I jog on my heels or toes?
Walk.
>>
>>36957503
>And also is it better to take fewer longer strides or more shorter strides?
Interval training. Google it. Basically jog relaxingly, then dash, then relax, then speed up for duration etc.

Jogging long just burns calories. If you want running "gains" you have to differenciate the difficulty and push yourself with short-medium sprints etc.
>>
>>36953307
So what happens after c25k? I'm running 30min 3/week now. Is that good, or even enough? Should I be running more, longer, faster, etc?

I used to be full couch so this is a very strange limbo for me to be in.

[spoiler]Running longer will be hardest because running more than 30 min. messes with my ADD. My crappy brain is not supposed to intensively focus on a single task that long. It's shit.[/spoiler]
>>
>>36958216
Suicide runs fampia
>>
>>36957532
Walk. Long and on crossed terain. With constant speed of round 6-6.8m per second - make sure its actually fast/sport walk and not just relaxed stroll - you have to feel pushing yourself. 40 minutes at least. Do short sprints if have willpover, however dont do breaks - if you almost die after sprint, keep walking.

Dont start "running" until feel confident, or better lost lot of weight to not fuck up joints.
>>
>>36958283
> stop running, take a break
> stop swimming , drown and die

Uhhhhhhh
>>
>>36958544
People only think it's awful because it hardly bulks your upper body with ripped muscled. Those kind of people only care about visual gains
>>
If you can't:

Run 5 km comfortably and in under 20 mins
Swim 2.5 km comfortably

You aren't even close to be called 'fit'. This board hates cardio because it's hard. True warriors do 70% cardio and 30% weights.
>>
>>36957650
Its actually quite good training, though requires long distance runs and prefferably uneven terrain. Doing it right, you`ll be more beaten after training session then you could with running.

I bet you think Hockey is sport for pussies too.
>>
>>36958697
Just inflate your float bladder when you're tired tbdesu
>>
>>36958720
....... my float bladder hasn't grown in yet. Nothing is wrong with me as a person though. I'm normal like the rest of yous, I swears it
>>
>>36958685

I can't relax when jogging. I literally am out of breath from 2 minutes of light jogging. I jog with a HB monitor and my shit is at 130 walking, 160 fast walking, 180 lightly jogging, then quickly rises to the 200s after 3 minutes of progressively raising the pace.
>>
>>36958712
5k in 20 min is pretty fast tho for most people, even "athletes"

Before I broke my back tho I had 18 42
>>
>>36958676
>>36958685
(assuming you're the same bloke)

I walk every day to uni, am usually running late in the morning so that's a power-walk and walking home is usually fast too because I hate getting stuck behind cunts.
Bear in mind I'm not actually obese, just overweight. I'm 85 kilos with fairly broad shoulders, decent arms (for somebody who doesn't gym) and I'm starting to get a large gut. I think a lot of my weight is muscle because I worked a really, really labour intensive job last year, came home at 78 kilos and fucking ripped. I have definitely lost some definition though, but probably not a whole lot.
Burning calories is mainly what I want because I'm just trying to lost the gut first.

>>36958709

Yeah but I was always told that cardio will take the fat off your gut so your abs look more defined?
>>
>>36953657

Rowing is GOAT as cardio and essentially calisthenics, join the master race
>>
>>36958742
Your abs don't show when you're in public.
>>
>>36958712
>This board hates cardio because it's hard

This. With all the talk of "be the best version of yourself" and "don't be lazy" this board is clustered with hypocrites who avoid cardio because it's too hard for their permabulk fatbods and they encourage each other in their cardio abstinence with excuses like "cardio kills gains brah".

Cardio doesn't kill gains. Cardio is good for your heart, for your blood circulation, for your endurance, stamina, and it only kills gains if you're a fucking imbecile who doesn't make up for the extra calories burn in their diet.
>>
>>36958742
>decent arms (for somebody who doesn't gym)

I'd love to see what "decent arms for somebody who doesn't gym" look like, for chuckles.
>>
File: 66c_oxbM.jpg (40 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
66c_oxbM.jpg
40 KB, 576x1024
lost 15 lbs in the last month from doing cardio everyday and eating 600-1200 cals a day.

cant wait to start lifting once i hit 180. im 6'1
>>
>>36958787
>Rowing is GOAT as cardio

I always nerd rage a bit at the people who move the rower setting to 9+ before they even start as if it's a resistance or level setting. Even when as rower, it's looking to mimic an ore in water. So it's more like fast boat vs slow boat but ore in water is always the same ore in the same water. Even hear people telling each other to set it to higher levels. sigh

it's not resistance damn it!
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101
>Damper setting is similar to bicycle gearing: it affects how rowing feels but does not directly affect the resistance
>Many people confuse damper setting with intensity level or resistance.

C2 is the only cardio machine I could see buying for the home. Treadmill is too large, bike is too boring and stair mills are not really a home machine level item.
>>
>>36957503
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

run or walk - if you aren't hitting a high cadence ie. how rapid your steps are (180 steps a minute is recommended) then the impact on your joints is higher.
>>
Cardio benefits your lifts just as lifting benefits cardio. Even long distance runners lift. It's called "cross-training". Your lifting benefits because it builds more capillaries to your muscles, thus allowing more oxygen, thus allowing you to lift more.
>>
>>36957623
>article talks about "excessive" cardio - running two marathons on one day, chronically elevated cortisol, 2hr runs, endurance running etc.
>>
>>36959227
Are you surprised they would link an article as such? No shit excessive cardio is bad for you, just like excessive lifting.
>>
>>36959253
what's excessive might be relevant to some people's interests, but the article is presenting it like it's all cardio, same with the post linking the article.
>>
>>36959353
Ever heard of overtraining? If you continue to damage your muscles without rest, allowing them to not rebuild the fibers, then it's excessive. It's why bodybuilders have certain days where they train certain muscles. It's the same with cardio. Long distance runners don't give their hearts time to heal. It creates scar tissue around the valves and results in blockages.

Your gains result from rest. Cardiofags and lifters results are best from it.
>>
>>36959404
that article says it's much easier to overtrain through cardio than you would think.
>>
>>36957623
>The ones that did cardio are dyels/skinny fats while the ones that did are ripped.

Whut
>>
>>36959418
Again, no shit. The article however only focuses on excessive cardio, whereas the argument on here is the "any cardio ruins muh gainz".
>>
>>36958053
this. Also regular cardio will generally give you more energy for your other workouts (or at least that's my experience)
>>
File: 1456123337584.jpg (11 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
1456123337584.jpg
11 KB, 250x236
> when you hit that point as you're jogging when you just feel absolutely fucking great with music playing that keeps you pumped

Not sure how to explain it, it's like a sudden rush of feeling fucking awesome
>>
How effective is a punching bag workout for cardio? I used to run, it was only enjoyable once you hit the high. I'm currently trying swimming, but im still working on technique (breathing is holding back my freestyle).

I want to start taking boxing lessons when i move back to a larger city with a proper gym, but i figured i should try to build my endurance until then.
>>
>>36958826

Well my housemate says they're not bad and he gyms (though not stupidly)

Though he just said he benched his personal best of 75 kilos today which is a fair effort (I think)

I'm not gonna go around and say I look great because even if my arms could be smaller, I honestly don't lol
Mainly because of the fat gut
>>
>>36958810

And yeah but generally the anti-cardio ones are fairly vapid, wouldn't that be included too?
Like who doesn't want toned abs?
>>
>>36959501

Dude I've been experimenting with stuff but can't find a good jive
What's your jogging mix?
>>
>>36959566
A lot of things but i love it when this comes on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjqVgj3Qrzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuy30GJK4A
>>
>>36958697
>stop swimming
>stand up in shallow end or hang on to wall of pool

???

If you're worried about running tearing away muscle mass, swimming is definitely the best choice you can make to mitigate that while still doing cardio.
>>
>>36958712
breh, i can guarantee you are on DYEL levels. If you have a lot of muscle mass, you are not going to comfortably run 5k at any pace. Same with swimming 2.5k. This is coming from someone who did both competitive running and swimming as someone who weighed 150 lbs and am doing it now as someone who weighs about 180 at the same level of lean-ness. Different worlds my man.
>>
i skip rope. better than nothing rite?
>>
>>36958912
holy fucking shit, you ate that little did cardio every day and only lost 15 pounds? you need to recheck your caloric intake
>>
>tfw finish my 7km run around a lake I live by
>that glorious post runners high
>walk to the top of a hill and sit on a bench looking at the stars above and all the houses/people below.

nothing beats that feel. I started doing cardio because I wanted to get in better shape, but now I do it mostly for that feel.
>>
File: 1461663714797.jpg (49 KB, 565x486) Image search: [Google]
1461663714797.jpg
49 KB, 565x486
>>36959616
I live in Brisbane myself, very close to the river side that flows around the city
> mfw running 7km along the river at night towards the city, the city lights shining, the cool river breeze
>>
File: riker smiling gif.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
riker smiling gif.gif
2 MB, 250x250
most strength trainers I've talked to/read absolutely swear by HIIT as a supplement to weightlifting

I've been doing it twice a week (after legs) for about three weeks now but I've already noticed some effects

> better stamina
> no DOMS
> bf is sloughing off even though I'm maintaining weight
> calves are pumped much more

seriously cannot back it enough. It's hard at first but even just starting with 5 minutes and working your way up to 10, twice a week, gives you awesome results
>>
>>36953307
Improved stamina
Better bloodflow
More energy
Better mood
The best way to train your heart
Improved ATP production (muh cellular respiration)

My lifts actually broke their plateau when I started doing more cardio.
>>
>>36959710
if you get close to the uni/footbridge the river literally smells like fecal matter.

also
>tfw just moved from the city riverside
we could've been gymbros ;_; milton?
>>
>>36959772
That's because HIIT, and all interval training really, is more efficient than LISS cardio for everything that you mentioned PLUS increasing vo2 Max and lactate threshold. If you can already run a 5k then you should be doing intervals. The low volume of work also does not interfere with strength training as much as a high volume of LISS cardio training does.
>>
File: 1355787173386.jpg (11 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1355787173386.jpg
11 KB, 256x256
>>36959794
>milton
the fucking weird thing is yes i am

Like 5-10 minute walk from the train station (Auchenflower direction)
And yea I don't run that far, just to the Queen street bridge, then across to south bank, up and down south bank then back to milton

It's fucking beautiful
>>
>>36959772

That's interesting. What do you do for HIIT after a weight lifting session (be it legs or something else)?
>>
>>36959804
Interesting. If LISS is difficult should I be doing that?

>>36959818
Generally on a stationary bike, 45s on a low resistance, followed by 15s on a substantially higher resistance level while attempting to maintain the same RPM. Rinse and repeat until you're done
>>
>>36959710
It's unmatched anon. I only run at night because it enhances the high for me.

>mfw I just finish 7km and am atop the hill thinking about life and my career and her
>mfw I see all of the lit up windows in the houses and buildings below me
>mfw all of those people have lives as intricate as my own

Lifting gives me confidence, cardio gives me introspection.
>>
>>36959877
what are your goals? if your goal is to run a marathon, then you absolutely need to do some LISS training. intervals will even help with marathon training though as it will allow you to run at a faster pace. If your goal is general cardiovascular fitness, then intervals are better. Just because something is difficult doesn't mean it is providing you with an adequate training stimulus.
>>
>>36953307
It's there but the appeal isn't for everyone, but to be fit like the first anon said you have to be able to run a bit. I do muay thai so my stamina is crucial, I do sprints and skip rope along with training everyday. It definitely shows, when I'm still fresh a couple rounds in while my opponent gets tired and loosens his guard and drops his hands.
>>
File: 1366404393270.png (55 KB, 197x190) Image search: [Google]
1366404393270.png
55 KB, 197x190
>>36959902
>Lifting gives me confidence, cardio gives me introspection.
I like you lad
>>
>>36958733
then you need to run more
>>
>>36959587

Not bad, but I'm a muso so I'm looking for more stuff that'll be the tempo of my feet
A lot harder than it sounds if you'd believe it

>>36959616

I don't know this feel but I guess standing at the edge of the fishing boat with a sore body from working flat out watching the sunset over the calmest sea you'll ever see would be similar
>>
>>36953563
This
>>
>>36959923
Cool. I'm going to stick with intervals just to not get winded from walking up stairs, then

Thanks for the input anon
>>
>>36960095
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM&list=PLSlndxWUkvoEbio1vuJv5vi0bEXo8SG3c

got a couple albums of 101 running songs most of them are poor but there are plenty ov good ones my ipod plays the 25 most played songs so ive got my top 25 to listen too which is pretty goat while im running skip though the tracks
>>
>>36960118

oh my sweet baby jesus why the fuck did I not think of this

jesus it's perfect

Also you sound like you do a lot of running
I only started this week, been 3 times since Sunday (trying to not burn my calves out - fuck they're sore)
Is 3 ks enough for now?
>>
>>36957503

The point on the foot that makes first contact with the ground doesn't matter that much as long as it's directly under your center of gravity (i.e. you're not basically jamming into your own leg with each step). Cadence matters more than strike point. 180/minute is commonly used as a good number to shoot for; shorter quicker strides. 90/minute for just one foot is easier to keep track of. I count my stride for 30 seconds once per mile and it's usually 45 for one foot. You can play around with the math. Don't get meme'd into trying to make minimal shows your go-to. Their primary use is teaching good mechanics but once your mechanics are sound their benefits apply to almost any shoe you run in. Use them, if at all, for 4-8 times back and forth over a stretch of grass with short breaks, focusing on good form.
>>
>>36957568

Good advice here. My college coach had us work on form and he would always tell us "loud running is slow, painful running."
>>
>>36960146
;P was doing 6k 6 days a week + 5k parkrun

i now do 6k in the morning 4k at night 3 days a week + parkrun

any running is better than none just stretch your calves they get sore
>>
Zyzz would still be alive if he did cardio.
>>
>>36957623

Did you even read the article you linked? There is a wide world of difference between training competitively for marathons, doing 100 mile weeks, and trying to git gud at distance running, and an hour or less of running per day with some faster work mixed in.
>>
>>36960146
also when im running i don't watch the time i count down the songs and interval the speed between tracks makes the time go faster

3min fast 3min slow exc
>>
>>36958239

Running won't cause muscle catabolism until you've depleted your muscle glycogen stores, which takes about an hour and a half minimum of steady running to do. So yeah, cardio kills gains I guess. If, you know. If you're stupid.
>>
>>36960216
thought it was 45 minutes? anything beyond that your burn fat?
>>
I just ran 30 minutes. I hated it. I'm going to up my running from 3-4/7 to 7/7 days a week. I hate myself too.

Should I do some HIIT too or is that a meme?
>>
>>36959201

Thanks for linking that, that's an awesome video.
Should've watched it before I went out tonight. I'll keep that in mind when I go running next.
>>
>>36960236
7 days a week damn i burnt out after 4 weeks on 6 days a week for 30 miutes

im doing hitt now same distance per week but every otherday
>>
I do MWF liftin, TTh runnin.

Lifting days are a real grind. But after I finish, I'm pumped because I know the next day is cardio.

I'm big enough and eat plenty, so I've never worried about gains. And I would never quit my runs. I feel amazing during and after.

Sitting in my car at the beach, eatin my oats and drinking my coffee, before I go out for my run.

Do it guise.
>>
Thoughts on 30seconds sprinting 30 seconds walking on the spot for 15 minutes +1 minute every week for cutting?
>>
Should I swim or run for my cardio?
>>
>>36960273
which ever you prefer do it lots

i do both mainly running though
>>
>>36958912

> 600 cals a day

Are you fucking retarded? You think that is healthy?
>>
>>36958912
Dude I did that low calories for about a month and now I have a bunch of weird side effects like ill randomly get dizzy when standing up and sometimes my vision goes blurry
>>
Is doing high altitude on a treadmill worth it? I have been doing it for a while, I enjoy it and it burns cals like crazy.
>>
>>36960258
Eventually you're going to be doing an unsustainable amount of cardio, like 30+ minutes

Stick with just 15 minutes and do it twice a week, that should tack on another 200 calories to your deficit
>>
>>36960735
Thanks anon, im too poor to get a stationary bike or treadmill to properly do HIIT and im not fit enough to go and do hiit outside
>>
>>36959587
Overdrive is my fucking jam for cardio. It always gives me a strong finish no matter how tired I am.
>>
>>36958912
eat a little more man
anyway, 13kg in a couple months is pretty impressive
>>
>>36960095
I've never heard a better running song than this
https://youtu.be/WOw6-1kOwck?t=7s
>>
>>36961963
this is dope. will run to. thanks anon,
>>
>>36953398
I don't think that rippletitts says that about cardio. I've read SS and i don't remember him saying anything bad at all about it.
>>
>>36959616
desu feeling one with nature or just looking around at the sky after a long trail run is the best feel
>>
File: infographic-cfyh.png (391 KB, 1200x3648) Image search: [Google]
infographic-cfyh.png
391 KB, 1200x3648
>>36959514
if you do it right its amazing. start shadowboxing and go buy a jumprope to help build endurance. once you mix roadwork, bag work, and jumprope your heart will love you for it. altho nothing quite prepares you for sparring.
>>
I ran for 1.5 hours in the cool spring air last night. It's a feeling that you can't get from picking up heavy things inside a room.
>>
>>36961963
Haven't heard this one before, it's good shit. I don't listen to hip hop/rap except NWA and Public Enemy coincidentally. I'm a super white, edgy metal kid, but that old school hip hop is great no matter what.
>>
>>36962484
that pic. no mention of sugar.
fucking merifats, when will they learn
>>
>>36953563

like... literally all of this except the "good for your heart" part applies to being in a caloric deficit
>>
>>36953657

i ran every day for like 8 years before starting to lift... i can say undoubtedly that i am happier lifting rather than running. but me and cardio had a good... kek... run. maybe will take it back up again, but lifting is 100x more rewarding for my mood.
>>
>>36963636
cardio kills gains is a meme. u'd have to eat a huge deficit and do 3 hours of cardio to lose a tiny bit of muscle
>>
>>36963656
for my mood nothing beats running.
Lifting does wonders,but nothing like cardio
>>
>>36963656

You will, anon. Its a cycle... after you lift long enough you'll tire of lifting and love running again only to return back to lifting.
>>
>>36957623
>The ones that did cardio are dyels/skinny fats while the ones that did are ripped.
uh wut m8
>>
>>36960273
swimming is objectively much better for you
>>
>>36958912
what you're doing is super counter-productive, the mass you're losing is probably more muscle than fat.
>>
Since it seems to be relatively pertinent to the discussion, does anyone have any experience with swimming exclusively? I'm 6'4" 210 lbs and I swim 2 Km every other day. If I do this indefinitely, what kind of results should I expect to see?
>>
I'm 97kg (230lbs) 5"8 couch bod, overweight.

I started lifting a month ago, feel great, dropped 10kg.

Slowly adding cardio into my week to help burn some fat. Bike, Bag or run, I mix it up.

long way to go, but stopped smoking and feel great.
>>
>>36958685
>bump
>>
>>36958687
There's a C210k and C2half marathon app for when you grow out of C25k
>>
>>36953307
>heard about the "cardio kills gainz meme"
>immediately knew that it was bs
>started doing 60% cardio, 40% weight lifting
>as I went from a slouch body, I started improving in both categories
>Managed to get at something like 18km/5min
>most dumbbell weights as 16kg per hand
>deadlift at 70kg and still rising fast (probably need to get 10kg more weights soon)
>running trainer says that the gainz killing only comes after a long period of time, after a year or more.

Seriously though, it is good to know that I know that most of you guys are dumbasses. I always take advice from the chans with a grain of salt. I think I had more use of google, and other lifting/running websites than of /fit/. The only thing this place is good for is for more fringe information, where the retards dont bother, because they are too retarded.
>>
>>36963670

if i do get back to running, i'll keep lifting for the sake of my strength and physique. that's for sure, at least.
>>
>>36958687
Pick a running goal and then look for a suitable programme.
>>
File: 1452784606905.png (244 KB, 547x411) Image search: [Google]
1452784606905.png
244 KB, 547x411
>>36953563
Yeah 3 years lifting on and off always swore "cardio kills gains" to everyone, but now I throw in a mile or two a week and I honestly feel in shape for the first time since high school sports.
>>
File: 1461201038736.jpg (81 KB, 480x492) Image search: [Google]
1461201038736.jpg
81 KB, 480x492
>>36964060
>curling 30's
>thinking you're hot shit

Lol get go-
>deadlift at 70kg
>>
>>36953307
>do cardio
>look better and helps with gains
>just have to a little more precise
or
>just lift weights
>look like fat shit
>shitpost on /fit/

choose whichever you'd rather be.
>>
File: 1437857748067.jpg (230 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1437857748067.jpg
230 KB, 1500x1500
>>36964060
>deadlifts 70kg
>talks shit
>>
>>36960216
No, it switches over to fat. It is how cumulative fatigue training for marathoning works. It teaches you to rely on fat reseves when you hit what runners call "the wall" or "bonking", which occurs around mile 15-20. Using fat isn't very efficient use of energy in aerobics, but it helps runners finish that final 10k.
>>
>>36958697
Swimming is great dude. If your worried about gassing out halfway through a lap do your laps in a shallow part or do them on one of the edge lanes so you can hang on to the sides and rest a bit.
>>
>>36958733
That is serously unhealthy you need to jog more to help your circulatory system
>>
>>36960230

No way, 45 minutes of running, assuming a 6:30-7:00 minute mile, is only around 7 miles or a little over 700 calories. Your body stores way more muscle glycogen than that.
>>
>>36957503
Most amateur runners make the mistake of overstriding. Your strike should not be any further forward than your shoulders.
>>
File: 1387726226515.gif (3 MB, 353x209) Image search: [Google]
1387726226515.gif
3 MB, 353x209
>>36953307
>Is there any real benefit to cardio?
This fucking board sometimes, god damn.
>>
>>36959710
>>36959794
You lads at UQ?
>>
your heart is a muscle
>>
Is it possible to do Starting Strength well with cardio? I know rip advises against it but he also things the only way to get big is to assfuck yourself with milk and big macs. Would HIIT be most appropriate? I've been running a lot recently and would love to maintain at least some of my cardio gains.
>>
>>36955696
Is the pain in your calf or around the front where the shin is? If its in your calf then its just the muscle burning and getting stronger. If its on the front where you shin bone is you need to warm up more.
Stretch, run-walk-run stretch then start the bulk of your run.
>>
>>36957650
Have you told your parents you're gay yet?
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.