[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Form?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Squat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pVnBVLVvnE
DL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnqeI9KnJhY
Bench: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGAEeHkceOs

Could you help me correct my form please?
Things I noticed: I think I don't squat low enough and my back is a little arched when picking up the weight in a deadlift. The reason I think I do the latter is because the weights I use are only half the diameter of the weights more common in the US. (Most gyms in Germany use the weights I have, but I'll buy olympic ones next month)

Please don't meme too hard, I don't want to lose my motivation.
>>
I've been doing SS for a month and these are my stats:
Squat: 60/63,8 = 0,94bw
Bench: 40/63,8 = 0,62bw
Deadlift: 65/63,8 = 1,01bw

I want to go for 1.5/1/2 bodyweight for squats/bench/deadlift
>>
This has to be a joke.
>>
>>36866909
:(
Is it that bad?
>>
>Squat
Absolutely not low enough. Be careful when racking, you looked very clumsy here.
>DL
Difficult to accurately judge because of the size of the weights. Obviously you are bending over and rounding much more than is typical.
>Bench
Zero back arch and pushing weight away from you is no bueno.
>>
>>36866927
Okay, this is the first time I taped myself exercising, I'm glad I noticed the same things you did. I'll lower the weight next time and try to work on my form. It's hard not arching my back too much because the bar lies so low. Maybe I'll try to put some books or something under the weights to raise it to a more appropriate height.

Could you elaborate on the bench form? I watched Rippetoe's tutorial on Youtube (art of manliness had a video with him) and I thought I'm doing it as he says. Shouldn't my back lie flush on the bench? I heard arching it is bad form. What do you mean pushing weight away from me?
>>
>>36866927
by the way, thanks for not being mean.
>>
Squat:
Keep your spine neutral, not extended.
Flex your glutes before descending.
take a deep breath into your belly (not chest) and flex your abs to tighten your core.
Don't "sit back" by pushing your ass out.
Your back should be straight throughout the movement.

Deadlift:
Until you get properly sized weights, pull from blocks, or don't pull at all.

Bench;
Set up tight.
Arch your back, Pull your shoulder blades together. You don't have to be comfortable on the bench, but tight.
When you push up, push up and back. The bar does not move in a straight path during the bench.

Watch as many "how to..." squat/bench/deadlift videos as you can.
For example by Alan Thrall, supertraining06, "so you think you can ..." series, and of course rippetoe.
>>
>>36866947
Your bench is fine don't listen to the powerlifter

Your squat depth could be a little better and you should fix the arch in your back when doing it.

Your deadlift is horrible due to the fact you're not using Olympic weights get some books or w/e until it's 9' above the ground ( look up height of a plate and divide by 2) and don't use shoes you already have an unsteady floor (a rug I think) which makes it hard on your body and the shoes make you further from the bar.
>>
>>36866947
Your back should not be flush with the bench. I don't remember exactly what Rippetoe says in that video, but in others he will state that your back should have an arch. An easy way to get this down is to pick yourself completely off the bench and then come back down with only your ass and shoulder blades/upper back on the bench.

Watch the bar's path as you bench. You should notice that at times you move it toward your feet and away from the vertical alignment it should have with your shoulders/arms.
>>
>>36866976
Rippetoe doesn't mention arching in the video OP mentionned
>>
>>36866883
All looks like crap, but you have to start somewhere of course. I recommend Alan Thrall's videos.

Squat: Narrow you stance a little bit, keep your back neutral rather than hyperextended, get your elbows down instead of pointing straight back.

Deadlift: Complete garbage. Start from scratch. Lift from blocks, remove your shoes, learn to "hip-hinge".

Bench: Get your shoulder blades back and down and keep them there throughout the movement, press the weight towards you face a bit on the way up so it finishes above your shoulders.
>>
>>36866976
>Keep your spine neutral, not extended.
I have shitty posture and try to compensate by unnaturally straightening my back. Should I just keep it neutral then, even if that means a hunched back?
Do I keep the glutes flexed all the way to the bottom?
I'll try breathing into the belly next time, thanks.

>pull from blocks or don't at all
Alright, I'll look for some cinderblocks on my way home from work.

Is arching the back a must? I'm sure a lot of people say arching your back is bad form. Not trying to shit on your advice here, I'm just confused.
>>
File: deadlift-lower-back.jpg (107 KB, 1024x297) Image search: [Google]
deadlift-lower-back.jpg
107 KB, 1024x297
>>36867039
>Should I just keep it neutral then, even if that means a hunched back?
>>
So I should lose the shoes in general?
>>
>>36867076
which is worse, concave or convex back?
>>
>>36867110
For squats it's debatable. A bit of a heel lift can be helpful, but a harder sole would be better.
For deadlifts your mobility is challenged as it is - you don't want anything pushing you further away from the floor. And here a raised heel isn't helpful. And again, a soft sole isn't good.
For the bench press it won't make much of a difference.
>>
>>36867118
Most people will say the convex back position is the most unsafe position, but it doesn't really matter - you need to learn how to keep a proper neutral position or you shouldn't be doing the movement.

Personally though, I think a lot of people end up rounding their backs because they're too focused on bending down and picking something up, rather than pushing their hips back and thrusting them forward again. The deadlift is as much about going back and forth as it is about going up and down. Learn how to hip-hinge properly and things will often take care of themselves.
Also, learning to use your lats to keep your back neutral can be helpful - think about squeezing a couple of oranges in your armpits. "Putting your shoulder blades in your back pockets" is another cue that sometimes work for people.
>>
>>36867118
both is bad since it puts alot of pressure on your lower back but i would say concave is better since when you start getting tired your back starts to go towards straight/convex
>>
>>36867039
The thing with arching your back in the bench is, you will always have a slight arch if you put your feet on the ground.
Consciously arching your back helps to create a stable base with your traps/upper back.
>>
>>36866883
Listen straight up OP

>Squat
>unrack it with both feet firmly in front of the bar
>keep your legs closer together roughly shoulder width apart
>toes slightly inwards
>bring your but down while squating whilst keeping your back straight also make sure your knees don't go over your toes
>when rising bring up hips and follow through with your legs but do jot thrust just go up.

Lastly keep your eyes fixated on roughly waist level of whats in front of you

>Deadlift
>let your shins touch the bar
>feet close together
>grip the bar
>pull your but down so its parallel your knees and ensure you tighten your grip so your back forms like this \
>slowly lift the bar up your shins while maintaining back and slowly bring your chest up as you slide the bar up your thighs. Follow the same process in reverse to bring the bar down. Repeat

Once again look 5 meters ahead of you when parallel and hold that contact as you rise.

Bench
>bring your bench slightly further back
>slightly wider grip
>bring shoulders back
>look directly up and fixate your eyes on whats directly above you
>without flailing your arms bring the bar down let it touch your chest and push the bar up trying not to use to much elbow

Thats all you have to do.
>>
>>36867354
Thanks a lot. I can't wait to trytry all this next time
>>
>>36867504
Next time I want to see your PR's go strong friend and when in doubt use youtube and take a deload week to perfect your form. Best of cuck
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.