[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CONTROVERSIAL ADVICE THREAD. UNFOUNDED BRO SCIENCE. ANECDOTES GALORE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: lol.jpg (34 KB, 411x354) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
34 KB, 411x354
ITT we share our controversial fitness thoughts that are broscience/anecdotal/no studies or just ideas that go against mainstream /fit/ thought.

> consume a protein shake after workout just in case the anabolic window isn't complete bologna
> OHP is not advantageous to bodybuilding or strength training. Merely an ego lift.
> 8 hours of sleep a night is a meme
> Battle ropes, box jumps, lunges... all that kind of shit is exercise not so much training
> keto is a cruel joke that many have fallen for
>>
>>36857438

My aunt went on a juicing diet/cleanse for a month and ended up diabetic. She was pretty fat to start but the steady barrage of sugar water did her in
>>
Machines > free weights for bodybuilding purposes
>>
>>36857438
why is OHP a meme lift?
What else is as good for shoulder development?
>>
>>36857667

>goes on a thread about memes
>asks if the memes are serious

cmon now
>>
The memest lift of all. Literally anything else is better, dumbbell raises, seated shoulder press, arnold press or upright row.
>>
>>36857711
Meant to reply to>>36857667
>>
>>36857733
>>36857711
>>36857667
wait is OHP when you stand up and do it? I never done it and always do it seated with a barbell or dumbbell (which I prefer). Just not a fan of doing it standing up.
>>
>>36857970

>Just not a fan of doing it standing up.

Americans, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>36857438

IIRC the anabolic window has more to do with carbs than protein. After exercising the GLUT4 receptors on muscle tissue are activated, which prioritizes them for glycogen storage over fat cells.

Basically, carbs you eat within 1 hour of lifting are deposited in your muscles.
>>
>>36857667

For BB it's because of short time under tension. Use Dumbbells for shoulder development.
>>
>>36858009
Carbs regardless of when you ingest them will first go to your muscles. The anabolic window is in regards to protein: immediately after exercise, the body is stressed and trying to regain homeostasis. The sooner you get the protein into the blood stream the better, because the body will eventually return to its natural/calm/homeostatic state and protein won't have as good of an impact.
>>
I lift heavy weights at high repetitions to build functional strength.
Why do a few heavy lifts for looks when you are not really strong?

Example(chest);
Inclined: 135lbs x15, 225x15, 315x15, 365x10, 405x8
Declined: same
Flat: same except 405 is like 4 reps by this time
Then do dumbell Flys and presses with heavy high reps. Then cables.

I feel like I can lift many heavy things many times more than someone who lifts heavy for a few.

How's my broscience?
>>
>>36858048

NO

You dumbfuck, protein stays in your bloodstream for 12+ hours. The protein you ate before your workout is still there

I am a fan of pushing most of your calories to after the workout, but to say that the body is protein starved after a workout is just back-of-the-protein-shake-tub marketing
>>
The MENS routine really does make you taller.
>>
>>36858088

> heavy weights at high repetitions

"heavy weight" is relative to the lifter. a weight someone can only lift a few times would be heavy for them.

this is like saying: for maximum growth Ive decided to lift my 1RM for 3 sets of 10.
>>
>It doesn't matter how many calories you eat
>just don't eat ANY carbs
My fat roommate told me this.
>>
>>36857518
>but the steady barrage of sugar water did her in
That's scientifically impossible.
>>
I can't find the No Stupid Questions thread, so I'll ask here:

I'm a rookie and have been doing 5 x 5 on dumbbells. I'm at 25 pounds (lol) for 5 x 5, last set to failure.

Just to change it up a bit, I want to mix EZ bar curls in.

What weight should I attempt? 50 pounds? 45? I have no clue.
>>
>>36858110
Remember, exercise is a stress. Cortisol is a stress hormone. Cortisol inhibits protein synthesis. When it's high in the blood stream, it means that glycogen stores in the body are low and the body needs to produce more. It'll do this by grabbing protein from the muscles and converting it into energy.
>>
>>36858210
Find out many you can do in 5 reps and then do a percentage of that.

But that fifth rep has to be maximal exertion and you shouldn't be able to do a sixth.
>>
>>36858152
One rep max is an axiom, you can't lift more than one rep. Heavy weight is just heavy weight.
I think I would be doing myself a disservice by benching 465lbs once or twice and calling it a "workout"

I can run 1.5 miles in under 9:15 and I have not run more than 3~4 times in the past year or so.

Does no one else get their Cardio and muscle gains at the same time?
>>
>>36858210
I'm assuming youre talking about biceps curls?

1. Stop doing a 5x5 scheme. You'll get better results from more volume. Do 5x5 for big, compound lifts. (Squat, Bench press, etc)

2. The only person who can answer this is yourself. You have to try it to find out.
>>
>>36858267
Noone's workout is simply 2 reps of Bench and done. You train with a high rep scheme. Others train with a low rep scheme.

Idk wtf you're talking about in regards to simultaneous muscle/cardio gain
>>
>>36858339
I lift for 2~3 hours and my heart rate is always up near 120 to 140 throughout the workout. It's pretty bomb. I have abs and I have not crunched in months.
>>
>>36857625
that's actually legit, although a routine with just machines is just retarded and for roidheads
>>
>>36858467
wow
>>
>>36857987
>arching back
>highest risk of injury
>shoulder impingement

keep wearing your superman shirts pajeet.
>>
File: 1334688278505.gif (487 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1334688278505.gif
487 KB, 500x373
>Brosplits work, bros have been doing them for years and gotten results
>You don't need to do squats or deathlifts if you just want to look good
>"Powerlifting" and still being fat does not require dedication
>Romantic relationships are a capitalist trick
>>
>>36858187
Oh shut the fuck up, Nathan. You don't know shit.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.