[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one get the self-discipline to eat healthy and exercise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: laeYgMM.jpg (625 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
laeYgMM.jpg
625 KB, 2448x3264
How does one get the self-discipline to eat healthy and exercise regularly?
>>
Do one little step that your level of discipline can manage to maintain, then keep doing that till it becomes a habit instead of an effort, then add the next little step.
>>
>>36853842

first post best post
>>
>>36853833
Self-hate
>>
>>36853833

realize all people care about is aesthetics

realize you will feel 100x better

you only live once (ignore the meme) so dont spend that life as a fat or average fuck.
>>
>>36853842
What do i do after the second little step
>>
>>36853861
take the third step and so on
then before you realize it, it's part of your daily routines
>>
>>36853861
Well at that point you've made it you fucking retard, list complete, can't you read?
>you in charge of reading comprehension
>>
seeing results is addicting

you'll see: soon you will wonder why people ever settle for being fat
>>
>>36853861
come back to /fit/ to be spoonfed more information
>>
Just start doing stuff and never stop.
>>
>>36853833

Getting started down this road is the hardest part but before long you'll realise that eating healthy and working out is its own reward. The results are just a bonus. The actual act of eating good food and challenge yourself physically is the best part.

I mean to say that it doesn't really actually take that much discipline because both aspects are actually enjoyable and a reward in themselves.
>>
>>36853861

it's like mathematical induction:

you took the most important step (0 -> 1) by wanting to change
now you just need to take the 2nd step (1 -> 2) which you are trying to do right now
eventually realize 1 -> 2 is the same as every other step (n -> n+1)

congrats, you made it
>>
>>36853945
This. Once you establish good habits going to the gym is just part of the routine. You will feel off if you miss a day. Eating healthy will feel good and you will naturally want healthy foods. Junk food will be gross to you and you won't miss it.
>>
>>36853842
what do I do if I fail after taking a step and regress back to I was before?
>>
>>36853833
Don't be a pussy. If there is something you want to do then do it. Most people have all these things that they want to accomplish but all they really do is talk about them. Stop talking about shit and start doing shit. This is literally the fucking secret. Shhh....don't tell anyone that I told you the fucking secret. Just go do the shit that you want to do. Be realistic. If you're first goal is to become the next Mr. Olympia then you are a motherfucking idiot. Manage your goals so that they are attainable. When you reach one set a new one. You can make it, anon!
>>
>>36853886
Yeah, this. Only now I see how easy it is to not be fat and avoid sugary/greasy shit. Kind of makes me annoyed by people who still eat terribly.
>>
>>36853849
If you hate yourself you won't think your worth it. It was learning to love myself that spurred me on.
>>
I honestly enjoy it so I don't need to push myself since the gym is what U look forward to doing it. You just have to get the ball rolling and it'll become a habit. Once you see results you'll want to keep going. Eventually you'll realize it makes you feel good. That's how it was with me anyway
>>
>>36853842
This
I stopped drinking juice and soda unless it's a special occasion. I don't even gain weight anymore.
>>
>>36853854
This. No one gives a fuck about your mind, or your spirit, or how much you know, or how kind you are, until they get to know you.
What you look like decides 90% of the first impression. If you look like shit, first impression will remain the last impression. Inner beauty does not matter until people actually get to know you.
Don't believe all the shit well meaning people say, to you: you're not okay, it's not okay.

Repeat to self, hate self, improve self.
>>
>>36853842
This. Kaizen.
>>
>>36853861
3rd step brah
>>
>>36853833
What keeps me going is knowing that if I miss a day, I'll regret it the next day. And if I stop then I'll revert to my previous fat, weak self.
>>
just watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
>>
>>36853849
wtf that's so true
>>
It makes occasional cheat meals 100x more rewarding.
>>
I read somewhere that a habit takes 5 weeks to form.
I don't know how true it is, but why don't you give it a try, it's just 5 weeks you wouldn't be doing anything better with anyway.
>>
Eating is eating it helped for me first getting the strength to go to the gym. Once I went to the gym having a shit diet massively affects how you feel. I was sore as shit and felt like making no gains. So naturally I wanted a better diet so I just added more veggies to balance it out then when I could tell it was helping in the gym I naturally wanted to learn as much as I could to increase my efficiency. Now my cravings are for nutrients and not waste, even though I still do occasionally crave junk it's much much easier to say no and just use it as a treat. But this goes without saying the most important thing is just getting up and going with whatever you feel is right with your life or else nothing will ever change
>>
>>36853833
Determination.

You've got the internet for knowledge about nutition, cooking, form and all the other shit you need to know. Presuming you're not disabled, you can do body weight excercises and calisthenics without spending a single fucking penny or even get a gym membership if you're not a NEET. Not buying pre-processed and cooking healthily for yourself can taste bland but it's sure as hell not expensive. Get supplements if you wanna make it easy on you and have the money. Tell your mother her food sucks if she's not supporting you and make your own food.
>>
>>36854886

Not him, but it's a blind hatred. It's hatred with ambition.

It's seeing something aspirational and knowing you fall short... then chasing it because you owe yourself. You owe your parents, your partner. In turn, they should do the same in some capacity.

It's a disgrace to never fight to achieve your peak condition, in any sense of the word. Loving yourself is too close to settling. Settling is the death of ambition.
>>
People don't think it be like it is, but it do.
>>
>>36853842
wow this was exactly what I was gonna post. Follow this anon.
>>
File: 1454711674788.png (820 KB, 862x641) Image search: [Google]
1454711674788.png
820 KB, 862x641
>>36853833
Develop a healthy eating disorder and "body dysmorphia".
>>
>>36853833
Well, I lost 40lbs and went straight to skelly mode by getting dumped by a ex. I hated myself so much, I thought I was disgusting, fat, unworthy of his love and I deserved this unending pain. I felt that pain every day, every moment I'm awake and every time I see my reflection. In hindsight, it might have been depression and intense social withdrawal that made me lose 40lbs.

I've gained all 40lbs back after being in a happy relationship. My current husband loves me, tells me I'm just a little chubby and always take me to the gym. I workout 3x/week and cardio 3x/time but I can't get my eating habits under control

Honestly it's all up to your eating habits. Scooby said to replace 2 things you eat daily with either water or gum.
>>
>>36853833
>implying meat and potatoes isn't healthy
>>
>>36857532
this is why normies never have leg days
>>
File: IMG_20160420_190052168.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_190052168.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Easy to eat healthy just prepare your meals b4 u need them. With fitness just do something u love.
>>
>>36858146
Kys
>>
>>36853833
Gain the Iron Will.

takes a long time, but now I feel only cold iron running through my veins.
>>
Body dysmorphia is a pretty good motivator. I'd literally rather die than go outside looking like shit. I went cocoon mode for an entire year before emerging from my room
>>
>>36853854
hey i like this

fat man here. I got this motivation to ride in a plane comfortably. My grandmother passed away 3 years ago. And I was forced to ride in a plane to her country. And I was at the very maximum limit of the plane seat. I tried my hardest to stay arms folded in my chair without ever getting up for four hours. If I hadn't been sitting with a nice christian elderly couple that were nice and comforting me the entire ride, I would have shattered.

Recently had a health scare. So I gotta lose weight. I think just being able to sit comfortably in a plane seat without disturbing others. And also buy clothes from the mall instead of big and tall would be like heaven.
>>
>>36853833
>eat healthy
>post pics of beef still sweating blood

I hope you enjoy colon cancer
>>
>>36858185
>plastic containers
enjoy your BPA
>every day the same things over and over
enjoy your cancer - diet variety is king
>>
>>36858185
damn those look yummy, did you prepare those yourself anon?
>>
File: Wild_Nichol-San.jpg (330 KB, 1231x965) Image search: [Google]
Wild_Nichol-San.jpg
330 KB, 1231x965
>>36853833
I don't treat it as an issue of discipline but rather the pursuit of good quality of life.
Counting calories and macros, lifting muh pl8s and doing cardio are just necessary components of achieving and maintaining that.
If you have to psych yourself up just to do these things, I would do a little soul searching and think about my motives.
>>
>>36854233
Try again. fail again. but fail better. Eventually you'll get it if you want it.

The secret to success has always been:
>Do something
>Analyze why you fucked it up.
>Make corrections
>Return to first step.

When you've got that right, add shit to complicate it more.
>>
>>36853833
If you truly want to do something you'll find a reason to do it. If you don't want to do it you'll fint a reason not to.
>>
File: Ways or Excuses.jpg (54 KB, 720x590) Image search: [Google]
Ways or Excuses.jpg
54 KB, 720x590
>>36858605
Got you bro,
>>
>>36853833
by actually having fun doing it
>>36858417
>sweating blood
I think that is medium rare
>>
>>36858350
You can do it
>>
>>36858185
you should try stir fry the vegetable, tastes better that way
>>
>>36853849
Can relate
>>
File: 1458388936732.jpg (650 KB, 2054x1602) Image search: [Google]
1458388936732.jpg
650 KB, 2054x1602
>>36858747
thank you anon
>>
>>36853833
It's different for everybody. Personally I was obese for my entire childhood and was already very sick of being fat at a young age, so changing early on was as easy as finding basic calorie and exercise information online.

>>36853842
This post is decent advice in general and probably the first way you'll be able to try to change your habits, but for me it was more of a cold-turkey approach at first.
>>
>>36853842
>>36858911

One thing helping me atm is definitely online resources outside of /fit/. This place is awesome for motivation/discipline and the frequent laughs, occasional tips. But dietary advice on here is so variable, and of course we all require different foods for what we want to do. telling someone to eat oatmeal when they're dropping weight, is not a good idea. I found better information from dietary conscious doctors online. And their information must corroborate at least with others and it's working. So you can't say it's bullshit.
>>
>>36859022
Seconded. I love you guys, but I have a lot more faith in the links you provide than the questionable wisdom you spew.
>>
File: 1459640327089.png (61 KB, 244x339) Image search: [Google]
1459640327089.png
61 KB, 244x339
>>36853886
What about plateau?
My issue is I used to be able, a few weeks ago, keep up in my pt runs and exercises with the much younger cadets. Now I seem to be lagging behind, getting shin splints, and not dropping any weight.

Have I platau'd and if so how do I break it? More exercise - harder instensity? (Run more or run harder)

How do I deal with the shin splints?

Am I actually getting worse, is it age? I'm 27 and these kids are highschool - before I could keep up. Now it seems like it's catch up.
>>
Look into the mirror.
Then when you think about eating sweets and sitting on your ass again, remember the image you saw when you looked into the mirror.
>>
This video has helped me a lot

Whenever I feel like not working out I watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7pt7XqtMfg
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.