[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cops Now Checking Bicycle Speed with Radar and Ticketing “Fast
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Cycling motivation.jpg (19 KB, 236x295) Image search: [Google]
Cycling motivation.jpg
19 KB, 236x295
California hates healthy habits.

>http://thefreethoughtproject.com/speed-trap-california-cops-check-bicycle-speed-radar-ticket-fast-bikers/

>San Francisco, CA — As if threatening government force to extort money from drivers who exceed an arbitrary limit of speed on the highway is not bad enough, police in California will begin issuing tickets to speeding bicyclists as well.

>Earlier this month, Marin County parks officials launched a new enforcement program to enforce an arbitrary speed limit on bicycles.

>City officials refused to call it a “crackdown” on speeding bicyclists and instead opted for the Orwellian option of calling it an “educational” program.

>“We want to get data, educate users and hopefully gain a useful tool,” said Max Korten, assistant director of county parks. “Through the Road and Trail Management Plan there are a number of proposals to open trail alignments to bikes that have caused safety concerns among some neighbors and preserve visitors about the speed of bikes on the trails,” he said. “It’s important that as we consider implementing some of these proposals; we have a tool to address this potential issue.”

>Mercury News reported Korten billed the program as a “pilot effort,” saying officials “don’t have good data about how often speeding is occurring on open space trails and we have not used this technology on open space roads and trails in the past.”

>In a discouraging move, instead of rejecting the premise of the state forcing cyclists to travel at an arbitrary speed through the threat of extortion, some local hiking and cycling groups are embracing it.
>>
>>36823732
>“We are glad that the Marin County Open Space District will begin using Lidar to track speeds,” she said. “Our understanding is that without this device, Rangers are not able to issue citations or possibly issue warnings.”

>Novy told Mercury News that the amount of citations last year was far too low and noted they included 418 involving dogs and 95 involving cyclists in areas closed to bikes, but “none for speeding, failure to yield or riding in a manner that endangers other users.”

>Overall, with 11 rangers and a single deputy sheriff on patrol at the time, the 558 violations amounted to “fewer than four violations per month per ranger/deputy,” the Footpeople observed, according to Mercury News.

>Instead of realizing that the lack of violations issued could be due to the lack violations that exist, Novy advocates for the force of the state to impose her will onto others.

>According to Korten, violators will be warned first, and citations will follow “depending on the circumstances.”

>After a few collisions involving cyclists, in instances where their speed was entirely unknown, the government reacts by sending in armed agents of the state.

>“The action…….will once again allow for seven-day-a-week law enforcement coverage in the county’s park lands,” Undersheriff Mike Ridgway said.

>Instead of people being held responsible for hurting others through irresponsible acts, such as wrecking into hikers or bikes, all cyclists will now be punished for simply riding over 15 mph.

>This move by city officials should come as no surprise as the state’s only available tools to incite change are extortion and violence.
>>
>>36823732
The provincial government implemented this bullshit in Alberta. Got a ticket last summer right before my fixie got stolen.

This is why I got a scooter this summer, at least I can go 70km/h and not worry about getting ticketed.
>>
>>36823732
Ride on the road if you want to go full speed. Unfortunately, trails, even if they were build with bicycles in mind, end up with walkers and joggers oblivious to the world because of their earbuds. People end up hurt or dead because of it.
>>
>>36823732
>>36823772
This is kind of true. The worst thing is the cyclists don't even have bells, they just shout "ON YOUR LEFT" with their soft, lycra ball-strangled gay voices that can't carry further than 3 feet.

I've had a confrontation with a 20 something lycra-clad cyclist who ripped around a corner and yelled, and immediately had to steer himself into a hill and crash. I checked if he was alright, and he started going off about listening. I went fucking ballistic and shouted at the top of my lungs how much of a absolute fucktard he is. He looked like he was going to cry, sheepishly got back on his bike and pedalled off.
>>
I imagine you'd have to be going pretty fast for a cop to go through the trouble and paperwork to write you a ticket

As someone who uses a bike every day as my primary mode of transportation, I'm not concerned
>>
Kek. Good, fuck those faggots
>>
>>36823883

I've been ran over by a speeding cyclist (I was not wearing earbuds or listening to music, it was just night time and the bike had no lighting at all) and I can confirm this to be truth.
>>
>>36823970
I once hit a bicyclist with my car. It was night, he had no light, and he ran a red light.

Sadly my light had just turned green, and he only got bumped at 5mph
>>
>>36824019
I like how angry they get when you impede their progress, regardless of who has right of way. They blow through lights and stop signs because they clip their feet down and it's awkward to stop and stay in one place, they get this sense of entitlement that because it's difficult for them to start again, they feel can bend the rules, and everyone else needs to facilitate their progress.
>>
>>36823732
Thank God
Road cyclists are the biggest douche bags
>>
>>36823732
>inb4 tickets for running too fast
>>
Honestly, as a cyclist, I kinda agree, unless this is happening on public roads or bike paths. On trails that get used for walking, you simply cannot rely on pedestrians to not be doing stupid shit. Obviously on an open straightaway with good visibility there's no reason to check speed, but people going around sharp/blind corners at speed with pedestrians around? It's a bad idea.

Otoh, if you're going to do this, you'd better start ticketing peddies that loiter on the bike path.
>>
>>36824216
>not ticketed or arrested for excessive muscles.

>http://www.musculardevelopment.com/news/bodybuilding-news/2813-toney-freeman-busted-in-sweden-for-steroid-use.html
>>
>>36824440

Fucking swedes
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.