[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Martial Art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (442 KB, 763x739) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
442 KB, 763x739
What is the best Martial art for self defense?
>>
>>36810243
gunfu
>>
>>36810243
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
>>
>>36810272

beat me to it.

/thread
>>
>>36810243
Trained across various styles for around 20 years and competed internationally. Here's the most effective styles, in order
>don't live in a shithole-fu
>don't be a cunt-jutsu
>parkour
>>
>>36810272
Low test detected
>>
>>36810243
Anon - I am going to answer your question seriously.

Martial arts were developed during the Bronze Age (Pankration, Kung Fu, etc.) during an era where weapons were poorly made and prone to breakage. As a result, people needed a backup plan for when their shit failed.

The manufacturing process behind modern steel for knives makes this obsolete, much less the introduction of firearms.

This is not to say Martial arts has no use, but that use is not self defense: that use is to GET THE FUCK AWAY.

To that end: Krav Maga, SAMBO, or BJJ as a very distant third.
>>
>>36810558
>krab magoo
Good goy
>>
>>36810527
this
>>
>>36810565
humor aside, the Israelis are very good at fighting. But if you want to jack off to Trump and Putin, SAMBO will do
>>
>>36810588
You poor goy. You've fallen for the 2deadly military meme.

Protip: military combatives are universally shit.

Sambo is effective because it has a competitive scene which encourages people to spar full force and learn to apply techniques on a resisting opponent. Commando LARPing is about as useful as ching chong dancing and air punching.
>>
>>36810630
I think we are actually agreeing but you want to be an edge lord. Hand to Hand combatives are ineffective in an age of weapons. Modern espionage HTH techniques are taught to enable an escape. This is the best case scenario. Since Israel and Russia have the best spy outfits, their techniques are likely the most effective.

HTH is not good for defense. It is best for beating a retreat if you don't have a gun or knife. Better to have a gun AND knife and know how to use it.
>>
>>36810783
You realise "spy outfits" and combat are diametric opposites, right? James Bond isn't a documentary.
>>
>>36810814

I agree, but it is in a spy outfit's best interest to not have operatives captured. Thus, they would invest in having them do whatever is required to get away. Again, I think we are on the same page, this isn't about Matrix-style beating the shit out of everyone: this is about eye gouging and testicle kicks and running away.

But OP asked a question that isn't actually relevant, and in the spirit of trying to be helpful best I can, I would advise a "martial art" structured around opening as many opportunities for escape as possible.

In terms of sport, or purity of art or whatever, there are many more aesthetically pleasing and athletically complete options, but OP didn't say "what martial art will be the most fun" or "what would be the best full body workout" or whatever
>>
File: natediaz.jpg (69 KB, 640x421) Image search: [Google]
natediaz.jpg
69 KB, 640x421
>>36810308
>this plus boxing
>>
>>36810866
>this is about eye gouging and testicle kicks and running away.
Ah the low percentage bullshit claims. Eye gouging, assuming you can actually do it, doesn't end a fight or even slow someone down. Don't believe me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yko1xLF7AQU

You know what does end a fight? A clean cross.
>>
File: 1459732163886.jpg (54 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
1459732163886.jpg
54 KB, 500x431
>>36810558
>Krav Maga
>>
Ask Tony Ja
>>
File: Checkem.jpg (11 KB, 430x320) Image search: [Google]
Checkem.jpg
11 KB, 430x320
>>36811000
>trips dont lie
>>
>>36810527
>parkour
>martial art
>>
>>36811011
>removing yourself from the situation
>not the most effective means of defending yourself from both and legal and safety standpoint.
>>
boxing/muay thai

you don't want to end up on the floor if there is more than one person trying to attack you
>>
Judoka here who is also getting into MMA.

There are a lot of good martial arts out there, can roughly be divided into striking and grappling arts, and or combinations there of.

I would say honestly the best art of pure self defense is BJJ. But like anything you have to find a good teacher.
>>
>>36811021
>I don't understand what a martial art is
>>
>>36811057
>Parkour (French pronunciation: [paʁkuʁ]) is a training discipline using movement that developed from military obstacle course training.
>In Western Europe, a forerunner of parkour was French naval officer Georges Hébert, who before World War I promoted athletic skill based on the models of indigenous tribes he had met in Africa.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 200x200
>>36810558
>>36810783
Fatass low test Ameritards detected. Us superior Europeans can't own guns, or at least there's so much hassle and restriction to get one that you would end up with a pea shooter at the end. And even if we did have guns, a guy can't carry 24/7, and when he does carry, it's possible to be caught off guard. And it's pretty much impossible to use a gun whilst your grappling on the floor and/or getting your face kicked in, essentially makeing the gun useless, or worse, can be used against you or stolen from you.

Martial Arts is still VERY useful in close combat situations, like metros and elevators. Only fatties have to rely on modern tech for everything, from defending themselves to needing pills simply for basic human functions. Try not relying on artificial shit that can jam, break, or be rendered useless in certain conditions.

To answer your question OP, Jiu Jitsu and boxing
>>
>>36811115
Same applies for knives. Stab someone and you are fucked. Telescopic baton is okay fortunately, might be very useful against knives because of "extended arm". Just never go full retard you might kill someone if you hit in the wrong places. Europe mang...
>>
>>36810243
CQC
>>
>>36811097
And?
These aren't qualifiers in what makes something a martial art.
>>
As everyone else has said, weapons have rendered martial arts completely obsolete. That's why no modern military trains hand to hand combat.

Now if you don't buy into my previous statement I would say Muay Thai for standup and clinch and BJJ or Sambo for ground. Just don't be an idiot and pull guard in a street fight because you do it in BJJ.
>>
Modern weapons may have rendered martial arts obselete, but most places won't let you carry. The only tool you can guarantee access at all times is your own body. Go with a martial art that has an active competitive side. Training in slow motion, holding your hits is useless. You want something where you actually practice against resisting opponents. Experience has shown me that - if you can pull something off on someone with training, your average guy is a pushover. Also beware of mc dojos. Too many people spend years "training" and yet still can't fight.

Tl;Dr - take up judo or boxing. Wide array of good schools available, and either is effective. Better yet, do both.
>>
File: 0W4fuQP.gif (782 KB, 701x418) Image search: [Google]
0W4fuQP.gif
782 KB, 701x418
>>36810272
/thread
>>
>>36810243
Wing chun
>>
Don't know I'f I'm supposed to be replying to everyone else also, but as a former ammy boxer who also has 7 am fights MMA, I would choose (kick)boxing. Defending yourself from normal people it's best to be able to throw a good combo. Odds are, a collegiate wrestler isn't trying to kick your ass at the gym or bar. **disclaimer last match was against collegiate wrestler who definitely fucked me up after I came out swinging.
>>
Self defense martial arts are completely bullshit… the best martial art is the one that teaches you how to fuck someone up, because that is how you end a fight… no one martial art is enough for someone to be truely versatile and be able to adapt to all street fighting scenarios. Here are some good martial arts to learn…

Wrestling - Probably the most /fit/ discipline. Wrestling is one of the beat bases someone can have going into mma. Joe Rogan who constantly pushes BJJ admits this as well stating that (paraphrasing) "When you are able to pick someone up and drop him to the floor like that you are at a huge advantage".

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu - This is an art were power is not as important… this will teach you how to incompassitate someone by submishion and gain better position to use or deter ground and pound.

Boxing/ Kickboxing / muay tai - all great stricking arts but each are lacking in cerain defences… I would say kickboxing is the best of the three but it is hard to find a school that is not full of muddle aged women trying to get fit…. Muat tai does not really teach you how to defend against a stratight up kick to the face… and boxing has no kicks at all….

In the end it is best to train in all of these martial arts and to have a sparring partner around your same size and skill which you can test these skills on…. Wrestling/striking and BJJ is the best combination for "self defense"
>>
>>36811560
Self defense rarely requires kick-anything. I'm guy above you who finished under a muay thai guy who did self defense as a bonus, and none of it ever involved anyone kicking. Can you imagine bad dudes on SVU trying to kick? C'mon.
>>
>>36811593
What are you trying to say?
>>
>>36811593
It is a good tool to possess. Boxers bring their heads way to low because they do not worry about kicks. When your opponent can throw a good kick that changes your entire game. Also leg kicks fuck you up. But I do understand what you are saying. If I was in a bar fight I wouldn't even think about kicking. (For fear of looking like a fag). But if it was in an open field were my life was potentially on the line and I saw an oppurtunity to do a spinning back kick I am going to go for it.

I would just assess the situation and decide if I should throw a kick or not. Still a good tool to have.
>>
>>36811650
Leg kicks in a sanctioned (MMA) fight going 15, but even ammy fights are 9 and I went 6-1 with none going past about 5 minutes. Leg kicks in those are essentially for points. But generally you are right.
>>
>>36811508
Underrated as fuck, wing chun gets a lot of flak from mma fags for lack of 'practicality' but if you get the basics down, it's fantastic for self defense, even against most weapons.
>>
Just fucking punch the guy OP
>>
Kali/Eskrima all the way
>>
>>36810243
Parkour. If all the other martial arts handle the "fight" response then parkour handles the "flight" response. No matter how good at fighting you are, if you're within knife range you're fucked. Being 1 inch away from knife range is enough to survive. Run like a little bitch!
>>
Do not start any form of asian/middle Eastern martial art. Straight up boxing and athletics or gymnastics is enough to sock someone in the fuckhole and escape to shitpost another day
>>
>>36810558
Ausfag here, and we have super strict gun laws, so believe me when I say fucking kek at Krav Maga.

>Made for dudes with guns to hold somebody else while their buddies take aim and fire
>Basically every coach you'll find, especially in Australia and America will suck
>"Now watch as I utterly destroy this guy who isn't moving or fighting back at all"
>"I could totally do this in a real fight. I just don't because otherwise I'd become a super saiyan"
>Literally a meme at this point
>Neckbeards and women who want to seem tough without doing work flock to this

>>36810243
Been doing various martial arts for 11 years, OP. My advice is to google mcdojo, and avoid those fuckers. Join any martial art that has an emphasis on sparring (as close to full contact as possible) and will get you experience actually fighting. As for what the martial art is, it doesn't matter so much. You'll figure out what you like and what you don't. Don't be afraid to leave a gym or dojo if it's shit.
>>
>>36811650
>life on the line
>I will throw a spinning back kick
>get punched in the back of the head because I don't know how to throw a spinning back kick
>wake up, sun is down, asshole is so so wide

This is a play by play of how your spinning back kick would turn out. Call me an autist or whatever you want cunt but you are still wrong and shit.
>>
>>36810948

Then you'd get fucked up by a wrestler
>>
BJJ! Hands down
>>
>>36811850
Didn't wanna break his heart or sound like a chad, but basically in "a field": other guy is so green it would work and you should stick to just shattering his jaw with 5 or 6 good ones, or he's better than punches in which case he's better than spin kicks and you're probably dead.
>>
>>36811948
14 years kickboxing here. Back kicks are my "sunday punch". That said I'm 6'4 so there's no fucking way I'd use in in a bar or similar as I'd likely get my leg tangled in a chair.

It'd be clinch and sweep or knees for days.
>>
ten year veteran martial artist here
7 years Judo
3 years bjj
two years muay thai (now it's a hobby but I only trained it more than 2x a week for a two year span)
and boxing for all 10 around 1-2 times a week.

The goal is to always stay on your feet and have control.

I believe thats from judo & muay thai.
Both of those take conditioning very seriously.
And a throw on concrete or a sidekick to the knee are both ways to incapacitate someone immediately.

BJJ is more of a softer martial art, which works well on a mat, with a MMA ruleset. It's highly prized since it's used in the octagon, whereas if you pull guard on the street someone will kick you in the head.

Cheers.
>>
>>36810243
holstered 9mm
>>
>>36811948
If you fight someone who is that green may as well just end it in one and if you're fighting someone with experience you have to cheat and fight dirty to get home safe really. Why risk getting clipped doing the whole chivalry thing when you can bite him on the cheek and elbow him in the dick.
>>
>>36810243
Gun-kwondo
>>
>>36812532
Because laws are a thing, Rambo.
>>
>>36811973
I can throw spinning back kicks like breathing too dude, 6'1 here. Confident enough to use anywhere but not dumb enough to try when someone wants to fight me. If someone wants to fight they aren't going to stop hitting you cause it's considered illegal contact in regular sport fighting, so don't risk getting knocked out and fucking raped when you can just pick someone apart or overwhelm them with basic shit
>>
>>36811256
Nigga are you dumb? Did you even look at the other two answers he gave?
>>
>>36812560
Yeah but assault is illegal in the first place, if you have to do something in self defence I think it's okay, dickhead. If someone attacked you, would you stand there and take it cause "muh laws say not to"? No. You're a step down in evolution.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.