[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a weird experience keeping my back straight during deads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
I have a weird experience keeping my back straight during deads

I always see people bend, grab the bar with a rounded back, get ready, straighten their back and lift

I just cant fucking do that. The only way i can keep my back straight is to flex my entire core hard standing up, with arms straight out, bend over with straight back which takes alot of effort (feels like im about to blow up) and immediately do a rep, otherwise my back will round.

How do i fix this?
>>
>>36810155
Are you engaging your lats at all and taking out the slack from the bar before you lift? Also could be youre hammys arent flexible
>>
>>36810155
What's to fix? It sounds like you figured out a way to deadlift with a flat back so good for you.
>>
>>36810155

Probably a lack of hamstring flexibility. Stretch them.
>>
>>36810169
>>36810155
lats brah, its what helped me.
>>
>>36810155
What part of your back can you not straighten?
>>
>>36810169
This 100% listen to the knowledgable anon
>>
>>36810278
The whole thing. I know upper back doesn't matter, but its mostly lumbar im worried about
>>36810169
>>36810181
That the thing, the only way i can engage them us what i just described.

I wanna know how i can engage them after i grab the bar with a rounded back?

Im asking this because im approaching 6 pl8s and my grip is giving away, and i have no way to use straps
>>
>>36810181
>>36810169

Not to say you're wrong I'm just having a hard time understanding how hamstring flexibility is an issue.
Starting with your hips "low" means your hamstrings aren't anywhere near extended, so I just don't follow when people say this. I could use some info if y'all want to shed some light .
>>
I'm with you, mate.
My deads are the weakest part of my workout.
I feel like such a fool.

My recent thing is to try to get the lower part of it to work.
Like lower with your ass up in the air.
So you hinge totally at the hips.

That's the right thing, right?
Hip hinging?

It's fugging hard, man.
I'm doing light ass weights trying to get my back and hips to cooperate.

We can do it, bro.
Fuggin hip flexion. Hard as hell.
>>
>>36810328
I know that feel bro. I couldn't engage my hammies at all. Until i watched that alan thrall video suggesting i do romanian deadlifts. Helped alot, but i still cant engage them after i grab the bar. I have to grab the bar them them already engaged
>>
>>36810155
engage lats, AND ensure your shins are touching the bar. try to spread the floor with your legs.
>>
>>36810155
>>36810181 is probably right, but to speak to >>36810169's point:

pretend you are taking your shoulder blades and putting them in your back pockets. shoulder blades TOGETHER and DOWN toward your back pockets
>>
>>36810322
Anyone?
>>
>>36810680
I don't know how to explain it anon, but it's a legitimate concern and there's a few videos on it

Personally stretching my hamstrings religiously for a few weeks allowed me to deadlift with a straight lumbar for the first time in 2 years. Once I got lazy and stopped my form went to shit again.
>>
>>36810680

The hamstrings cross both the knee and the hip joint (barring the short head of the biceps femoris). Flexing either will extend the hamstring to an extent. This is also why the absolute bottom of a deep squat is considered much more glutes than hamstrings.
>>
>>36810722
I appreciate your honesty. I mean if it's a problem it's a problem, I'm trying to get to the why of it.
>>36810757
So even if the hamstring is contracted (i might be using that incorrectly; I'm referring to the starting position of a deadlift) so your ankles are close to your butt so to speak, flexing them will extend your knees? I mean, from my ignorant viewpoint I'm thinking ok, quads extend the lower leg, hamstrings pull it back so the deadlift is extending your legs, so I'm my head again, that would be more quads whereas the hamstring/glute convo would be more on the hip hinge portion toward the end of the lift once the bar has met your knees.
I figure I am wrong so I'm trying to just learn more or get pointed in the right direction because I feel my deadlift is pretty pathetic and this might help me out so I appreciate you taking the time to even show me this much.
>>
>>36810879

Hamstrings do two things: They extend the hip and they flex the knee. To do this they have to cross both joints.

Which means if you've got your knees heavily bent and your hips slightly bent, the hamstrings will be stretched in a similar (but not identical) way to if you had your hips heavily bent and your knees only slightly bent. Which means that hamstring tightness can effect your ability to get down into that squat position and keep your back straight (because the hamstring is stretched, its pulling on both sides. If its pulling harder than the erectors, your back rounds same as if you'd gone too deep on an RDL or good morning).

Less to do with what is going to move the weight and more to do with how the muscles oppose eachother.
>>
>>36810155

This video really helped me man
Layne Norton's Breddy Gud Guide to Dedlifts

He goes into detail about the small things too which is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5eGGZXb0Is
>>
>>36810957
Thanks that clears so much up for me.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.