[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Newsflash: The reason SS is a meme is because you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 404x404
>Newsflash: The reason SS is a meme is because you're training for 5 reps. You're not reaching the peak hypertrophy level. You make a lot of strength gains, but not much in muscle size, and you don't look aesthetic. y the time you decide to move on to a real routine that involves 8-10 reps, your lifts would already be high, so it would be harder for you to go higher
>>
>>36799342

Man lands on Moon.

There's a reason why it's called Starting Strength and not Starting Aesthetics, you fucking retard.
>>
>>36799342
SS is a meme is a meme

Frequent full body routines are the fastest way to get brute strength as a newbie, period. Anything else is inefficient bullshit.

Have fun wasting your time on a volume brosplit for no gains.
>>
>>36799342
but with ss you do 25 reps total
>>
>>36799342
"starting strength is a meme because it makes you strongee"

Kys op

SS exists so that you CAN lift for hypertrophy with heavy enough weights to make good progress
>>
>>36799457
>strongee
*Stronger, fuck me
>>
>>36799342
lol ok

here's your options as a newb:
>brosplit from day 1
>spin your wheels for years until you realize your 135x10 bench wont get you anywhere
>start strength training w/ accessories and your gains explode
>congrats, you wasted 3 years in a plateau

>do a novice routine until you lift non-baby weights (1/2/3/4 give or take) within the 1st year
>do your split/ppl with a decent base
>gains explode
>year 2 and you look better than the curl bro who started lifting at the same time as you, and you lift 2x more than he does

prove me wrong nigger
>>
>>36799342
So Starting Strength lets new lifters gain strength.

Sounds like it does exactly what's on the tin.
>>
OP fucking kill yourself and never return.

SS is not a meme. Glutes, erectors, core, quads and hamstrings should be your strongest muscles by proportion. Heavy deads help get dat grip and squats help you brace and handle more weight. Then it prioritizes pulling and pushing movements. You should add dips and chins though. IMO i would replace flat bench with incline bench or PP to help support your OHP. OHP is not a power lift but if you want aesthetics prioritize this as your push movement and chins as your pull movement for maximum muscle recruitement. As an almost 11 year lifter i can tell you id be god by now if i started with SS. Although ime 3x8 worked great for me as a teenager for noob gains.
>>
>>36799485
This.
Spun mug wheels for a year before I just started eating a shit load of clean food and did SS.
>>
>>36799342
>falling in hypertrophy rep range mem
>>
>>36799525
My point is SS leaves you looking like shit. You don't need really heavy weight to make gains at all. Gains are relative.

>OPTION A
Skinny dude weighing 135 whos gone from 45 pound bench to 175 in a year

>OPTION B
Endomorph going from 160 bench to 200 in a year

Option A has lighter lift but has made more gains easier.
>>
>>36799930
You're only meant to do SS for a few months, if you do it for years you're a moron and deserve everything you get
>>
>>36799342
5 reps is the middle ground between strength and hypertrophy training. you make good gains in both on SS. the routine actually requires significant gains in muscle mass if you want to complete it properly.
>>
Vanilla SS is a meme because it's completely out of proportion and focuses on lower body too much, doesn't have enough volume, has power cleans which are completely fucking useless for just about 99% of trainees and finally, doesn't have accessories out of the box, making you waste precious weeks/months (and when they are added, it's only chins/dips)
>>
>>36799446
>25 reps total
>>
File: whySS.jpg (334 KB, 1317x644) Image search: [Google]
whySS.jpg
334 KB, 1317x644
>>36799485
This
Pic related

>>36799342
>>36799930
>endomorph
>>
This is all bullshit, you know. Look up volume studies. 3x5 built more strength and equal mass against to higher volume comparable routines.
>>
>>36800042
FYI, that pic is fucking stupid for multiple reasons. A big one is that it's based on the old rep range myth, but more importantly, with more volume on your bodybuilding routine, you're using a lot more of your muscle to trigger your "motor units."

>>36800093
Yes, it's VOLUME. It's equal if it's the same volume and that's what those studies do, they control for volume, but that's not how routines are actually developed. It's 3x5 vs 3x10-12 in routines, while in studies the comparisons are 3x5 vs 2x8.

Let's take Trainee A with a 1RM on the bench of 200lbs.

If he were to train with the 3x5 rep range, he'd use 85% of his 1RM, so

3 * 5 * (200*.85) = 2550

In the 10-12, he'd use 75%, so

3 * 10 * (200*.75) = 4500

This hypothetical Trainee A would be working with half the volume on a regular 3x5 compared to 3x10.
>>
>>36800154

There's two problems there. First is that most lifters are not using 85% for multiple sets of five. Second is that volume in lifting is not calculated using tonnage because it gives retarded results.
>>
>>36800219
This. Thats means i can do 50x50 with lightweight and out volume everyone
>>
File: Rep-Ranges.png (42 KB, 1008x1008) Image search: [Google]
Rep-Ranges.png
42 KB, 1008x1008
>>36800249
no
>>
File: regparkbeginner.png (195 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
regparkbeginner.png
195 KB, 1200x700
>>36799342
I don't know why Reg Park's 5x5 doesn't get pimped more around here. It's a solid fucking program.
>>
>>36799981
Fuck you, power cleans re GOAT.
>>
>>36800154
And the trainee would still make better gains if he trained with both rep ranges in any given week for maximum accumulated volume for the main lift and then one or two accessories for each main lift. The reasons it isn't mentioned is because people stepping into the gym for the first time are retarded and getting them to do anything is better than them suffering from analysis paralysis as a complete novice
>>
>>36800340
I guess because there are a lot of variations for im not even sure if they are good anymore.

I do the one the trap posted cause it seemed pretty good.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.