[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /fit/ think of boxing as a primary form of exercise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Manny Pacquiao.jpg (76 KB, 634x464) Image search: [Google]
Manny Pacquiao.jpg
76 KB, 634x464
What does /fit/ think of boxing as a primary form of exercise? I've been lifting on and off for around two years or so and want to change things up a bit, I was thinking about signing up at a boxing gym and going to my regular gym maybe three times a week for supplementary strength training.
>>
self pity self bump

pls
>>
Great way to hurt yourself. Like most martial arts you have a maturing period at around 35-37y old for most people.
>>
Great way to get fit and learn how to defend yourself quickly. Don't expect to put on/keep any muscle that way.
>>
Too many blows to the head.
>>
>>36760657
Expanding on that, for striking it's one of the best martial arts, if you aren't going in actual fights and your just training it's only light to medium contact and it's a lot cheaper than other martial arts.
>>
>>36760657
boxing would be a great cardio exercise to add to your workout if it weren't for all the injury and concussions.

You're better off doing something else desu, its good to learn how to strike but grappling is better for self defense, most drunken bar fights and brawls usually devolve into a mass of hair pulling and shirt ripping anyways.
>>
>>36760708
Grappling is not better for defense.
That's stupid.

Learning how to instinctively know when someone is going to throw a punch or dive at you and knowing instantly how to dodge and throw a punch is much more valuable.

Hell knowing how to throw a jab a good cross and take a punch will serve you better then years of strike free grappling martial arts when it comes to street fights or unexpected brawls and attacks.
>>
>>36760166
Boxers get most of their exercise from running
>>
>>36760166
Boxing its great, but you have to define your priorities. I recomend doing strength training only two days a week. Google for ,,5/3/1 for MMA'' , Wendler has some good imputs about strength training for such sports.
>>
>>36760735
There is a reason boxers don't last 2 seconds in a real fight anon. Even in the heavily regulated MMA boxers are entry level Bitches. It's not saying boxing isn't good, it's just not good enough. Don't need to box to learn the tell signs of a punch
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-04-09-22h22m28s773.png (241 KB, 544x408) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-04-09-22h22m28s773.png
241 KB, 544x408
>>36760166
Bretty good breh
>>
>>36760735

i actually agree with this. i have 5+ years of muay thai, boxing under my belt and some jits.

boxing is fine cardio, but the true benefits of martial arts is cultivating an awareness of timing and danger, learning the habits of your opponents, and honing your reflexes for self defense.

i would also argue that martial arts makes you more powerful and faster but not necessarily stronger.
>>
There's a reason everyone posts the champions

Because the losers are in diapers at age 27
>>
>>36760819
You're absolutely fucking retarded, even ray mercer became champ when he was like 46. There has never been a legitimate contender that switched to mma, only shitty boxers go to mma. If you're good you make way more in boxing. Tyson fury and klitschko would cunt punt those manlet "heavyweights" in the ufc. And as for street fights, good luck grappling a guy into submission while his friends kick the shit out of you, as soon as you get out of high school fights stop being 1 on 1 squabbles. As soon as things go to the ground the friends all jump in and it's a giant shit show
>>
I have made more gains with shaolin kung fu than I ever did with weightlifting (which I did when I worked as a fitness trainer, so yes, I know how to work out)

I dunno about boxing, but in shaolin kung fu you learn to control your breath and breathe slowly even when you're at your strength/endurance limit. I don't know the process well enough, but I think somehow your body gets used to it, so that when you want to push through your plateau, your NORMAL breathing will be a massive influx of oxygen that lets you push through. Then when you reach the next level, you can train to breathe slowly on that again.
>>
>>36760166
All this talk about turning into a vegetable while learning to box. OP, if you join a good gym you probably wont get to do any real sparring for at least a year. A decent trainer isn't going to put you in the ring right away for you to get your block knocked off, how the hell can they collect your monthly dues.

That being said. What are your goals? Get stronger and bigger? Boxing is going to keep you pretty lean. Grappling is going to be much better if you want to keep bulky.
>>
>>36761128
As opposed to them all holding you down and pounding your butthole because you can box your way out of 7 dudes on your ass. Nice escalation. Facts still stand that your "pro" boxers stay out of the octagon for a reason and it's not because they're too good
>>
>>36760708
Nope, Bar fights will rarely become a cuddle match,

Boxing is pretty good to pick up, i've seen a guy who had been boxing for around 8 years, cleaned up 3 guys right infront of me, But don't expect to be this hulking 120kg beast of muscle either.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.