[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here ever experience head splitting headache after heavy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1436235011539.jpg (40 KB, 388x392) Image search: [Google]
1436235011539.jpg
40 KB, 388x392
Anyone here ever experience head splitting headache after heavy lift? I've been lifting for over 3 years now and it started yesterday. Did chest and bi's yesterday and had a bit of a headache throughout the workout. Today I was doing legs and worked up to 315 for 5 squats no headache. Then I went to do romanian deadlifts and once i got to 225 after about 6 reps got a terrible headache. Headache was so bad I just did some lunges and then left. Going to call doc tomorrow. I drink enough water and I'm pretty sure my diet is ok. I do take in a lot of caffeine ( 1-2 cups coffee + tea as well). Any advice or anyone had this before?
>>
I got it for a while and I was doing valsalva wrong, probably because I just stopped paying attention to it

make sure you're keeping the pressure in your core, not letting it into your sinuses

alternatively sometimes my allergies fuck me over and I can't breathe enough. Gives me a mild headache and I can only do like 70% of normal volume
>>
>>36758077
Yeah, I really have to focus on my breathing again. Also, I don't really do any cardio aside from warming up for 5-10 mins and also walking dogs daily. I'm gonna start 20-30 min medium - high intensity cardio 3-4 days a week and see if it helps.
>>
>>36757877

http://www.apexllc.org/articles/exertion-headaches/
>>
>>36758453
thanks for this. Damn, looks like I may need a break from lifting :*(.
>>
>>36757877
I've had this before. Ive had it a few times after heavy squats or, oddly enough, weighted Dips.

It usually comes on as a splitting headache from absolutely fucking nowhere...and it hurts like an absolute bitch.

Be safe and get it checked by a doc, sudden painful headaches can be a symptom for some worrying things. If all OK deload on the weights that cause the pain to a level where it isn't noticeable or manageable, and work your way back up. Be sure to focus on your breathing, and stop as soon as you feel it coming back.

It really sucks anon, you can read up more by searching tension/exertion/bodybuilders headache...nobody really knows why it occurs...just do your best to manage it and don't work through the pain. It will go away.
>>
>>36757877
I went through a period of something like this.
I was getting incredibly painful headaches within minutes of starting any serious workout. Warm up was fine but within a couple of sets of heavy lifts it was so bad I couldn't maintain good form and worried I was going to enter snap city.

Way WAY fucking worse though. I'd get the same headaches just as I was about to orgasm. Nothing encourages abstinence like the feeling your head is going to split open if you get close to cumming.

Went to the doc and apparently coital headaches are a thing.
He prescribed me some beta blockers to control them and the exercise headaches disappeared too.

After a fair few months I stopped needing the pills and I've never had the problem since.
>>
>>36758591
>>36758608
How long before I can do some decent cardio. Gonna slow down the lifting for a while but want to up my cardio. Can use this recovery time to lose some fat.
>>
>>36758716
Once it's stopped being painful outside of the gym go for it (whether it's cardio or weightlifting). Start slow, do what you can without aggravating pain, from there progressively increase intensity.

I'd still see a doc, it's probably nothing, but I'm not a doctor and I can only comment from my own experience of experiencing this a while back.
>>
One time when attempting a squat 1rm I felt a lot of pressure in my head and may have popped some blood vessels. It was only 275lbs, but it was the slowest lift I've ever done.
>>
>>36758453
I have anxiety and this is a nightmare for me to read basically.
>>
I actually got a really intense one yesterday as soon as I finished my third set of DLs. I usually do high weight with 5 reps but yesterday I did 12 reps with slightly lower weight, and goddamn that killed me. Took a break for a few minutes, then did some pullups and other light exercises and wrapped it up early.
>>
>>36758716
No idea mate, I wasn't doing much cardio at the time.

Usually headaches like this are nothing major but there's a chance it's related to a vascular malformation or mass lesion in the brain (especially the posterior fossa) in which case the pain could be a prelude to a lethal stroke. Extremely unlikely but you want it ruled out.

Try the beta-blockers though. They'll have the side-effect of reducing your athletic ability while you're on them but if it lets you keep working out then I'd say it's worth it.
I think triptans or indomethacin can also be used as a treatment but I think blockers are first-line.

Important points
>See a doc to rule out anything major
>Almost certainly nothing to worry you too much - exertional (and coital) headaches affect a large portion of the population at some over their life and usually just stop after a while. Most patients never get them again.
>We have a few different potential treatment options and they're generally pretty effective.

>I'm a doc
>>
>>36757877
I got it when i first started lifting. I wasnt focusing on my breathing and must have been holding my breath. Even lifting light weight gave me such a pain in my head just moving was painful.
I had to take three months off no lifting at all until it got better.
>>
>>36757877
I've had these after forcing out squats. They're called exertion headaches and they are horrible. May have to take some time off and improper breathing will cause them.
>>
>>36757877
Yesh had it for a couple weeks and it would usually flare up during leg days. It happened when I had preworkout right before the gym usually. Cut down on the pre and it went away.
>>
>>36757877
I had this for squats. I also got it when I orgasmed which was retarded. Fixed by holding breath deep in stomach and "breathing into balls" instead of higher up in neck area
>>
drink a 32oz gatorade with 32oz of water and take an animal pak with a good meal.
>>
File: 1406418287247.jpg (33 KB, 604x694) Image search: [Google]
1406418287247.jpg
33 KB, 604x694
I experienced heavy feels
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.