[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scoliosis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
So, I've been going to the gym for over 2 years now, built up my numbers from being able to not lift the bar to a decent 1/2/3/4 while improving other aspects of my fitness such as being able to do proper pushups, pullups, chinups, etc.

Anyway, about a month ago one of my neighbors comes to the house with a six pack and asks me for help to move his piano and load into the truck, I think to myself that this should be pretty straight forward since there's three of us moving the piano. As we are loading it into the truck, I felt something in my back snapping and I instantly became worried. We loaded the piano, drank the six pack and I went home.

Over the next few days I felt intense cramping in my back and severe muscular pain, after 5 days or so I finally went to the ER where they gave me some heavy painkillers and medicine to reduce the swelling thinking that it was merely a muscular problem.

The pain continued and after a week I had a followup appointment with the doctor who requested an X-ray (fun fact: you have to get an enema before you do an x-ray of your spine) and my worst fears were confirmed; a slight case of thoracic scoliosis (pic kind of related)

Long story short, doctor says I can't lift anything heavy for the next six months. I've already paid for my gym membership so I'm at a loss as to what to do, I'll probably take up running or spinning but what can I do to make sure I mantain my mass without losing too much other than eating right and perhaps doing some HIIT?
>>
>>36744845
>one of my neighbors comes to the house with a six pack and asks me for help to move his piano and load into the truck
Haha, you actually bothered helping your neighbour. Well deserved. Should've stayed inside.
>>
>>36744845

I have mild scoliosis and I've never had a doctor tell me "don't lift or exercise". It's been an inconvenience here and there but really nothing major.

I think you're over-hyping this disorder. Maybe you just have a really shitty version of it?
>>
How did you fuck up OP? I too have 'slight scoliosis,' or so I've been told. I'm also a full-time mover, and I move pianos every week, as well as other heavy shit like fridges, gunsafes, hide-a-bed couches, all kinds of shit. Never once has my 'slight scoliosis' been an issue
>>
>>36744866
Yeah... it was my bad tho, I lifted wrong

>>36744886
I guess it is because of the pain which still gets pretty bad from time to time. I should mention though that the doctor seemed like one of those "LIFTIN IS BAD 4 U" types tho i'm not sure. When I told her I lifted she said that man of my age (31) should be lifting light weights and do cardio...

>>36744896
Not sure, lifted wrong, still in a lot of pain on my back, hopefully it will go away with treatment.
>>
good luck op
>>
>>36744845
I had a mild scoliosis as well. I developed mine over years of misuse of my body (so no "snapping"), and I could correct it with proper stretching and reinforcing with a kinesitherapist.

I know the awful feel of having to accept your body is fundamentally broken in a way, but keep hope that there are solutions. Anyhow I'd suggest you listen to your doctor. If he says don't lift, don't.
>>
>>36744845
Running is very bad for back injuries
>>
>>36744886
I have scoliosis too, and I've had to go to a physical therapist on 3 occasions because i've fucked up and overexerted and hurt myself.
>>
>>36744939
Did the Doc not give you a prescription for physical therapy? go get a prescription for physical therapy, talk to the physical therapist, have them design a workout that you can do.
>>
>>36745623
>I could correct it
Really? I have a mild case too, should I go to a Physical Therapist to get this shiz in order? I've noticed just doing legs, core work, and back relieves a lot of pain.
>>
>>36746542
can't fix scoliosis

can minimize effects, and risk of it getting worse.
>>
File: lamar-gant-scoliosis.jpg (27 KB, 490x388) Image search: [Google]
lamar-gant-scoliosis.jpg
27 KB, 490x388
Maybe you're just being a pussy
>>
Post-surgery (fusion) fag here

I had really fucking bad scoliosis, it still shows a little. Anyways I had the surgery back in 2012 and started lifting seriously about 6 months ago, I don't really have any problems but still gotta be careful. POINT IS if it's that bad then just get the surgery, it makes the pain disappear and make you look like less of a freakazoid

Also I'm male, 6'5, 160lbs
Shit's rough but doable
>>
>>36746983
ALSO look into getting a back brace before shit get's out of hand
>>
>>36746756
How senpai?
>>
>>36744845
Lots of people have scoliosis. You can swim and do cardio, do core exercises that actually improve your core muscles without lifting. Also you don't need to get an enema to get an x-ray of your spine. Your doctor probably just wanted to butt fuck you. Source: scoliosis since age 12, a million and one x-rays, back brace for 2 years, am totally fine now.
>>
>>36747129
building muscles. Particularly those tiny supporting muscles that most people don't know the names of. A physical therapist is the best bet for finding out what the most important exercises are for your particular case.

Last time I saw one they put me through a battery of tests, had me move my body into a variety of positions, and then would push my to find my max extension. They actually made me cry at one point, i was sitting with my knees apart and had my arms crossed over my chest. They had me turn my upper body to one side, and it hurt, then they pushed me an inch farther. Suddenly a stream of tears.

Totally worth it though, because they tracked down the problem, gave me some exercises, and my back pain was gone after about 2 weeks.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.