[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/, how do I stop good morning-ing when I'm trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1428270943589.png (87 KB, 189x216) Image search: [Google]
1428270943589.png
87 KB, 189x216
Hey /fit/, how do I stop good morning-ing when I'm trying for a new 5RM squat? I've deloaded, double checked form, but no matter what I try I always end up doing a good morning on the last couple of reps of my heaviest set. Does this indicate a particular weakness anywhere? What can I do to combat it?

It's lowbar squats I'm having the trouble with, and it starts to appear at 110kg. I'm 64kg, 175cm if it matters
>>
Im trying to imagine how you could accidentally into good mornings while trying to squat, because GMs have you bend forward with emphasis on the low back to stabilize... i don't know, focus energy on legs, go back on heels more?
>>
>>36698752
I get below parallel fine, then as I come back up I somehow end up leaning forwards while my legs go up and have to good morning to get back upright.
>>
>>36698567

Naw lad, you're just all around weak, don't worry about it though you'll sort it out. It's just your quads and core getting burnt out. Add some front squatting to your routine if you really want to, work your core bracing game.
>>
>>36698775
another anon here, i fixed it via front squats (Which helped me understand how to keep my back upright) and by fixing my grip.

i don't know what the official way is, but thats what helped me.
>>
>>36698567
you're leaning forward too much, you need to focus on sitting back on your heels more. i had the same problem because i have shit mobility in my ankles. oly shoes and stretching got my form to where it needed to be. i stretch by holding on to the side of the squat rack and simply squatting down as far as i can go, do some quick bounces, and stand up again. i do this a few times until im able to stay in a near third world squat, then i do a few goblet squats with 30lbs. its a pain in the ass and takes 7-10 mins to do, but i cant get to depth properly unless i do it.
>>
>>36698833
His ass is coming up before his body, shifting onto his heels would just make it worse.

Keep your knees from going back on the ascent OP.
>>
>>36698784
>>36698809
I already do front squats though, do I need to go heavier? I'm at 92.5kg 5RM at the moment. And I do hanging leg raises and planks for core accessories, should I add more?

>>36698833
I'll try stretching, thank you

>>36698903
So I should focus on driving them outwards?
>>
Stop doing lowbar squats.
>>
>>36698903
>His ass is coming up before his body, shifting onto his heels would just make it worse.

As someone who used to have the same problem with good morning the weight up, the guy you're replying to has a very valid point.

>Weight shifts to front of foot
>Causes a forward lean
>Barbell is off center, weight shifted forwards
>Go to squat up, ass comes up but not upper back as its being pulled down by off centre barbell
>Causes a good morning-like seconf half of lift

Just gotta be really confident and get down in that hole on your heels
>>
>>36699031
I'm just worried about tipping over backwards, or the barbell rolling down my back and destroying my spine. Guess I'll try it with a lower weight first, see how it goes. Thank you for the advice!
>>
>>36699031
>>36699090
guy with the mobility problems/advice here - really try to work the stretch into your routine that i described. i know that people think stretching is a waste of time and will wear you out so you cant get those precious few extra reps, but it made a huge difference for me. try doing it before your sets, and like you said try using lighter weight while testing how far you can sit back. and don't stop doing lowbar like >>36698990 suggested, itll only make the problem worse.
>>
>>36698567
I know that this is from a rule 34 even without knowing the comic....
>>
>>36699135
I'll try it next time I go to the gym, I've even written it down on a piece of paper. Thank you for your help!
>>
>>36699148
No shit Shirley
>>
Do you currently squat ATG?
>>
>>36699943
I do for my front squats, and my warm up sets. For the heavy sets I go below parallel, but not atg
>>
>>36698987
Your legs are trying to straighten where instead of pushing the weight up your ass goes up and your back flattens. Keep your back in the same position, weight on the center of the foot, and keeping the knees from moving back when coming out the bottom of the lift. If I had to guess you have problem with not having your center of mass forward enough or opening up enough when you go down.
>>
>>36699976

Hmm, okay.

Asking because I used to goodmorning my squats but going ATG fixed it by forcing me to remain upright.

But if you front squat ATG and do warmups ATG it shouldn't be an issue. I'd recommend throwing in one or two sets of ATG squats after your warmup anyway.
>>
>>36700044
How open should I be at the bottom of the squat then?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.