[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depression Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Hey guys and gals

Newish to 4chan so I apologize if I am in the wrong section,

About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Depression. Discussions with Doctor pointed to the cause being both Genetic and Lifestyle related and the verdict was that I make some changes in my life alongside being prescribed Fluoxetine (Prozac). Took the drug for about three months and had significant improvement in Mental Health and began to exercise, eat better and have regular sleep patterns.

Because of my improved mental health I decided that I would like a career in the Police. Something I had always wanted to do, but never had the follow through due to the depression.

Upon applying I was denied as I was on anti-depressants. The recruitment officer stated that in order to join I would have to be off the drugs for 2 years (what they call a Medical Stand Down Period)

Since that time I stopped taking Fluoxetine and focused on maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Only issue is that I have the occasional relapse into depression that can last for several days or weeks. I have taken St Johns Wort and this has yeilded only mild improvements.

I guess what I am trying to ask is; Can anyone give me some advice on dealing with these relapses or possibly if there are any (legal) alternatives to Fluoxetine i.e. Supplements or Food? My two year stand down is almost up and the last thing I would want to do is go back on the drug
>>
>>36683968
Meditation man. Seriously. I have struggled with depression since I was a teenager. Last year I have discovered meditation and it has changed my life. Lookup some techniques and start at 20 minutes. Just give it a shot.
Also Hulse has a pretty good video about how depression makes us stronger.
>>
>>36683968

You were responding well to an SSRI and now want to drop off it to make $35k a year as a cop?

Have you considered that, if you are a neurochemically based depressive, that a highly stressful career that can cause debilitating stress in otherwise healthy people, where you also carry a gun, may not be for you?
>>
>>36684033
Sound advice about looking up mediation bro, something I had not really thought of. Also looked up the Elliot Hulse video very very interesting! Had a lot of info I was not aware of and a different way of looking at it.
>>
Just stop being a negative Nancy all the time. Just don't be sad. Lmao
>>
>>36684117
You raise an interesting point Anon thanks for the reply.

The end game for me has always been to not be on Fluoxetine or other drugs for my entire life. So it is something that I will have to address at least at some point in my life. From advise from my Doctor it was a combination of both Genetic (I assume Neurochemically based ties into this?) and lifestyle.

If there was little or no progress made from lifestyle changes I think you would have a point. SSRI is certainly the EASIEST option and the most effective in combo with other efforts but I am trying alternatives methods which have worked (even if not to the same extent) The reasons I want to join the Police is that I feel it would be a rewarding job (for my own long convoluted reasons I wont bore you with anon) But in my country they very rarely carry guns and earn $60k (NZD) a year

Do you have any advice or a success story that could be relevant here?
>>
>>36684117

He should fit right in.
>>
>>36683968
Squat and oats
>>
>>36684419
kek
>>
>>36683968
>>36684390

Seriously, though, depression is internal. It's a combination of chemical imbalance, stress, negative thoughts, and attitude.

By controlling what you can - thoughts, sources of stress, and attitude - the things you can't will - chemicals - will balance out in turn. Meditation as this anon >>36684033 suggested is a good place to start. You have 2 years to figure it out. You should also try seeing a therapist (not a psychiatrist) if you can. They can teach you other methods for defeating depression.

A helpful online place is

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

Good luck OP.
>>
>>36683968

exhaustive exercise. feel bad, smash yourself in the gym. you'll be too tired to overthink yourself into depression.

also listen to meditation anon.
>>
>>36683968
My advice to you is to leave man. 4chan either triggers depression or makes it worse. I'd leave too but I've been browsing this site since 2007 so I'm pretty much addicted to it.
>>
>>36684459
Thanks Anon! That advice rings very true. Reminds me of the saying "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

Reoccurring advice about Mediation seems to dictate it is something to definitely look into (I;m not the most "spiritual" guy desu but I am willing to have an open mind)

Thank you for the link Anon I will sign up and have a read.

Can anyone here tell me about their experiences with Therapists? I'm afraid my knowledge about them is limited
>>
>>36684550

Meditation isn't about spiritualism, it's about oneness/internalization. It's about focusing on what your body and mind are telling you by asking it questions and silencing internal monologue.

I spent 7 years in therapy. The first session will be about getting to know each other, creating a rapport. After that it depends on each therapists methods. If the reason for your depression is external (family dying, break ups, childhood trauma) be ready to talk about it. If not, you'll probably go over methods for redirecting/reversing negative thought processes.
>>
>Depression.

Welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>36684548

That's not true. 4chan is no different than going out to a very public place. You will likely hear and see some shit. This is where your attitude will effect your mood. "Wah wah triggers everywhere", will definitely make you more depressed. Or you can just accept that shit IS and WILL BE and move along with YOUR life.
>>
>>36683968
Are you not allowed to be on any drugs at all working as a police officer? That sounds fucking ridiculous.

If it's only mental disorders that they discriminate against (because really, let's call it like it is), could you get onto something like wellbutrin and say you're using it for weight management or something? Since it's not an SSRI it might have less stigma attached to it.

If all else fails, find a different job. It's not worth ruining the progress you made on Prozac to get a shitty, high-stress job surrounded by peers and superiors who don't take mental illness seriously.
>>
>>36685391

They do take it seriously, that's why he can't get the job. If they didn't take it seriously, they would have been like "here you go! have fun, trooper!"
>>
>>36685105
>meditation isnt about spiritualism, it's about oneness/internalization
this so fucking hard. I am not a spiritual person but meditation really centers me. This anon has it right
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.