[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Back exercises
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: muscular-back_4_2.jpg (29 KB, 650x360) Image search: [Google]
muscular-back_4_2.jpg
29 KB, 650x360
Hey /fit/ this is my first ever post.

I'm having real trouble with grip strength when I do deadlifts. Does anyone have any tips? Also, I'm 25 and my sporting days are gone, I train just to stay in shape - in this case how essential are deadlifts? Are there other equivalent exercises that can get the job done?
>>
Deadlifts are pretty awesome, unless you can not physically do them you should incorporate them into your routine
Pull ups will help your grip
>>
>>36683199
try those squeeze trainer things

alternate grip even
>>
Hey op have you tried mixed grip? Makes a massive difference and as they weight goes up your strength should too.
>>
>>36683209

OP Here. Thanks for your answer. Yeah i know they're one of the big mass-gaining exercises - I've never felt like I'm doing them right though.

For example - do you rest the barbell on the floor between reps? Or do you engage your back to pull it back up before it rests entirely on the ground?
>>
>>36683232
Mixed grip really works? I'm off to the gym in an hour so I'll try that. Thanks!
>>
>>36683250
Yeh bro I used to have the bar hanging on my finger tips, then I did mixed and had no problems with that and could focus on the weight
>>
>>36683199
use straps. unless you want to compete in powerlifting, you dont need to perform deadlifts without them. all your other back exercices such as rows and pull-ups can work your forearms quite a bit.
>>
>>36683263
I take it you alternate between sets which arm faces out and which faces in?
>>
>>36683306
If im not too lazy haha. But yeah keep on top of that if you can
>>
>>36683327
Sweet, thanks for your answer! One more thing - do you rest the bar on the ground between reps? Or do you hold it up for the duration of the set?
>>
>>36683341
I usually let it touch the ground but not rest. This is just to ensure the full ROM
>>
>>36683370
Awesome. Thanks again!
>>
>>36683199
wrist curls
>>
>>36683391
No worries bro!
>>
>>36683409
Also, deadlifts are super beneficial for core, forearms hamstrings and traps
>>
I use mix grip and liquid chalk when i dl past 160kg. Never have issues with grip. I rest the bar upon the floor between every rep. In my experience touch and go increase risk of bad form and thus injury.
>>
deadlifts, low bar squat, chin/pull ups, barbell rows, rear delt flys. I do those.
>>
>>36683341
>>36683341
Touch and go is better for Hypertrophy needs while a pause on the floor is better for strength and power, consider touch and go as a way to overload your Deadlift when going for rep training, whatever you did with a pause you will do more touch and go, figure out where they work best in your training, it is very easy for a beginner to lose tightness somewhere in his torso when doing touch and go so make sure you are doing it correctly.
>>
>>36683199

mixed grip is a must but do all your warmups with double overhand. i started using straps when i got to 260 or so and theyre great but if you get some stick with the double overhand/mixed grip warmups. you can do rack pulls, farmers walks, hanging leg raises, etc to help with grip
>>
>>36683478
OP here, great answer - thank you!
>>
>>36683239
The bar should rest on the floor between reps. Doing multiple reps without the bar ever touching the floor is called romanian deadlifts and is a different exercise.
>>
>>36683586
M8 Romanian deadlifts are when you're legs stay locked
>>
>>36683199
deadlifts back extensions pull ups and shrugs and facepulls are more than enough for a weel developed back.
if you do enough shoulder work and do pull ups with retracted shouldeblades you can even skip facepulls
>>
for grip strength, at the top of your last rep hold the bar in lockout position for as long as possible.
>>
>>36683626
No.
>>
File: 20160227_191005.jpg (34 KB, 314x258) Image search: [Google]
20160227_191005.jpg
34 KB, 314x258
>>36683631
pic realted is my back, i stopped deadlifting a year ago because i dont need it for oly.
all i do now are snatches, cleans pulls and front squats chin ups and facepulls.
if i had to train my back without oly's and deadlifts i'd do front squat, pull ups shurgs facepulls and back extensions
>>
>>36683199
Dumbbell rows, farmer carries, mixed grip/hookgrip and chalk. Don't use straps, see Alan Thrall's video on straps of you're wondering why. Also: You need to do deadlifts.
>>
>>36683668
What is oly?
>>
>>36683730
olympic weightlifting
>>
>>36683199
Try different grips. Alternate grip is good w/o chalk. Hook grip w/ chalk is also excellent.
>>
>>36683662
Gr8 argument
>>
When is an ok weight to start using straps? Does it matter?
>>
I find that chinups, Clean high pulls, deadlifts, and BB rows have done the most to build up my back.

>>36684718
>When is an ok weight to start using straps? Does it matter?
when you feel like it.

There is no hard and fast weight to start using wraps, belts, sleeves etc. Just start using them when you feel they could help.
Of course I am assuming that you are not competing.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.