[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jogging General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: exercise jogging SS.jpg (8 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
exercise jogging SS.jpg
8 KB, 500x324
What would be a good routine?
Also any resources to learn proper form?
Jogging round the block is 0.2 miles (320 metres).
I want to build up to doing a mile at a time and then getting faster each time.
Would it be best to jog daily building up slowly?
I managed 6 laps (1.2 miles) in 14:47 minutes, Jogging around half and walking the rest recovering.

And yes, I'm a recovering fatass.
>>
A few times a week ought to do for a start.

You may have to plough through shin splints. They are a bear, but then at some point you will realize they have been gone for a while.

Also, reminder that last time you could run all day and not feel it you were 7 and weighed 50 lbs. Find your steady pace, it is likely slower than you think.
>>
File: couch-to-5k.jpg (101 KB, 554x1113) Image search: [Google]
couch-to-5k.jpg
101 KB, 554x1113
>>36645656
Here's your easy, structured starter routine.

Best way to learn proper form is to read various takes online and consciously practice as you go.
>>
>>36645820
To do these routines do you get a special watch or something to prompt you when each amount of time is up?
>>
Download the couch to 5K app. It's the easiest way to start without injuring yourself.

Do yoga (free yutub vidz) on rest days to learn form.
>>
>>36645900
There's a phone app like >>36645902 mentions, or you can get a programmable interval watch for < $20 on Amazon (in USA)
>>
>>36645921
Will look at the app, if I end up not liking the app, how do I know what kind of watches would work? (Also do they ring or blip or vibrate to prompt you?)
>>
>>36645967
Just carry a stopwatch, you lazy cunt.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-04_15-55-43.png (327 KB, 1201x489) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-04_15-55-43.png
327 KB, 1201x489
>>36645967
I think I have the first one of these. I bought it for c25k 2 years ago and it handles everything just fine. Some of the other features aren't the best, but I don't really use them.

You'll need to investigate other brands and models yourself if you want to spend more.
>>
>>36646038
Thank you, I'll look into these. I appreciate all the help from you all today.
I have one more question though.... does the type of trainers I use matter or is it all a gimmick?
>>
>>36646126
The shoes might matter but it's kind of controversial. Different shoes match up to different strides and different strides match up to different runners. Research shows different strides result in similar numbers of injuries, but anecdotally I've heard that they're not the same type of injury. If you google around you'll get strong opinions on all sides.

I'd try with whatever you have, then switch if it's causing problems.
>>
>>36646265
Well I noticed I hit the ground with just behind the ball of my feet that felt best but that hurt my ankles. Would that be from my shoes or just my weight? Or is that normal for a complete n00b?
>>
How to prevent blisters?
>>
>>36646415
No cotton socks
>>
>>36645656
It may sounds obvious but losing weight makes running a lot easier, if you hit your hard at the same time as training hard you will get incredible running gains which will probably help with motivating both further running as well as further weight loss.
>>
>>36646440
Well for fixing my diet for the first 2 weeks I am cutting out all fizzy juice and snacks while keeping a food diary. Then I plan on cutting calories to 2000 a day introducing more veg and removing any excess carbs and rubbish. To make a point to myself it was raining heavily so I went for that jog to prpve to myself the weather doesnt matter so no excuses not to exercise.
>>
How do you avoid chaffing?
>>
File: underarmour.png (321 KB, 640x644) Image search: [Google]
underarmour.png
321 KB, 640x644
>>36646698
>>
>>36646782
Is it only them or would knock offs do the job as well?
>>
File: FootStrikePattern.png (30 KB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
FootStrikePattern.png
30 KB, 600x250
>>36645820
>Dat SWEET SWEET feeling when you finally cut into the 21 minutes nonstop.
Fuck i love running.

Are you a heavy guy?
If you're just getting into this Congrats, Keep it up.
If you have a Smart Phone i would reccomend Runkeeper or Zombies Run!

Zombies Run will give you a story narrative to your run, Hopefully keep you motivated to start out there. Disable the Zombie Chases though they will fuck with your Interval training. They have a separate "Couch to 5k" app, but it costs a few bucks and you got your plan under >>36645820 so dont worry about it.

As for shoes and how you land your foot,
Up to you, heavier people i feel should avoid heel striking just because you gotta lot more weight falling down on those pins, If incorrect you'll fuck your knees, you'll fuck your hips, You'll fuck your ankles. But once you've got it sorted how you run, look for a pair of shoes that fits your style, some have larger rounded heels, some at more lightweight on the cushioning.

Also stretch. Not too much but you'll thank yourself the next day.

Run with how you're comfortable first.
>>
>>36646795
Knock offs will do fine if all you wanna do is avoid the flesh on flesh slapnrub.

Also they hold your junk outta the way.
>>
If you're looking for a pedometer/ heart rate monitor, I use a Fitbit Charge and I really love it.

Keeps track of everything for you.
>>
How much cardio is needed to keep the heart healthy? Does walking a lot cut it?
>>
>>36647415
Thou shalt run 20-40 minutes 3x per week.
Abide thy rest day.
Form be the highest glory.
>>
>>36647415

You get the greatest benefit from moderate-intense cardio if you preform the activity for a minimum of 10 minutes, but a healthy target is 40 minutes 3-4 times a week.
>>
>>36645656
A good routine for what? What the fuck are your goals? Sprinting? Distance? Fighter?
>>
How much would doing skip-rope help my distance?
A boxer friend told me "Skip to failure 5 times with 90 seconds rest between" would help make 5Ks easier, hoping to test that out today since I've been doing it for a week
>>
>>36646510
Good work dude.
Consistency is key.
Set a goal and dont stop untill you get it.

I find short term goals are easiest for my mind to grapple with. As an example I did this first up.
>2months
>1800 cal per day
>1 rest day per week (3 cardio, 3 weights)
>no sugar, alcohol, refined flour products

The whole time you just tell yourself
"Its only x more days to go"
By then end of the first two weeks its routine and easier, by the end of 2 months the changes will be dramatic.
>>
>>36647415
41 MET-h/week for maximal benefits

that's a jog once a day for an hour at a 6.5nph pace
>>
are barefoot and minimal running shoes a meme? what are your thoughts on them?
>>
>>36649153
There is no evidence that they are better for you than regular running shoes.

If your form is solid then give them a try if you are interested. From what I've been told you gotta break them in slow. I wear regular running shoes so I am no expert
>>
As a few other anons already stated, couch to 5k app is best. It tells you when to walk/run, and you can play music through the app if you want. I get shin splints and I have a terrible cardiovascular system, and it helped me build up being able to jog further.
If you're serious about it, you should invest in good running shoes instead of a watch, especially if you're running on pavement.
>>
>>36649153
Got mine last week, I've only used them a couple of times, but I thought they felt great. Found a pair for a good price on Amazon. I'd say it was worth it.
>>
>>36650209
which ones did you get?
>>
What's the secret to getting my run times down? I've been running for about 8 months, when I started I couldn't even run a quarter mile. Now I think my endurance is decent, I can run 8 miles nonstop at about a 10 minute pace. Problem is I can't get much faster than that, even on shorter runs.
Today I ran 2 miles in 17:00

Halp me get faster /fit/, Ultimately I want a 21:00 5k
>>
>>36651420
Hill repeats
Sprint up the hill, walk down
Repeat for a bit
>>
>>36646415

Wrightsocks running II or similar two-layer socks designed for running.

Socks are the most important thing for blisters. 2nd most important is toughening your feet up by running more.
>>
>>36648903
Let us know dude, I am also interested in how much this helps!

>>36650209
Let u know how it goes. Are you a heavier guy (muscle or other) or are you light?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.