[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My bench has been lagging for a long time, so after talking to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: bench-press.png (32 KB, 429x365) Image search: [Google]
bench-press.png
32 KB, 429x365
My bench has been lagging for a long time, so after talking to a few people, I've decided to start benching every session, so 4 times a week.

Would this be correct programming wise:
Monday - Heavy Bench 3RM + drop sets
Tuesday - Light Close Grip Bench 3 x 12
Thursday - Medium 3 x 5 + Other Accessories
Light - Light Close Grip Bench 3 x 12

I'm following the PHUL program, so:
Power Upper
Power Lower
Upper Hypertrophy
Lower Hypertrophy
>>
Extra volume and accessories should have a clear purpose. You need to examine your weaknesses and work on those. Right now it feels like you're just adding all possible variations which could work, but why waste your time if they don't adress your weakness? Is it off the chest? Is it lockout? Is it form maybe?
>>
>>36591370

To add: Most people's sticking point is actually at the bottom, off the chest. Close grip won't do nothing here for instance, but pause bench will.
>>
>>36591382
Was going to suggest this but I've been beaten to it. I dropped close grip bench and gave paused a go at 4x6 at about 70-80%. It's brutal, but it got by bench out of a rut.
>>
>>36591342
Are you on roids? If not, don't do this shit. You will fuck up your shoulders. Benching twice a week took me from 135 for 8 to 175 for 8 in two months. I'll be able to bench 2pl8 in 2-3 more months
>>
>>36591342
It's probably your technique, desu
>>
I don't have a huge bench (120kg 1RM), but a decent one and I only bench one to twice a week. What really helped my bench though is weighted dips, 3xF and increasing by 5kg every time I reach 9-10 reps.
>>
>>36592741
>135 - 175 in 2 months
Ive been stuck at 135 3x10 for at least 4 months. Sometimes i miss the 10th rep.

Lay some wisdom on me fampai
>>
>>36593037
do higher intensity with lower volume. 3x10 is fine, but change up your set/reps scheme if you've plateaueuauueaud. Go 5x5 or even 10x3 for similar volume with more intensity.
>>
>>36592780
115@75 here
can confirm weighted dips have been a huge help
>>
>>36593051
I think i get you. I've noticed I have no problems and can really crank out 1-8 with almost no problem and it sometimes feels too light but then those last 2 are always grinders.

Seem to get stuck around half way up. Are my triceps shitty?

thanks man!
>>
Unless you have a solid technique in the bench(hint: you don't) don't do a lot of variations and don't max out often(rep-maxes count as maxing out). If you're benching 4 times per week you could do a lighter variation(incline bench, pin presses) on the day where you don't have a rest day before, and do a lot of kind of heavy sets of normal bench on the other three.

The greatest benefit of benching more often is improved form due to more practice in the lift, and more training volume, so make sure to try to keep every rep clean and let the gains come from high volume work rather than high intensity work.
>>
>>36592780
>>36593071
When did you do them? After benching? Instead of benching?
>>
>>36593089
It has to do with aerobic v. anaerobic function. Usually people can do 5-6 reps before they run out of oxygen in their muscles. This is when it all of a sudden gets drastically harder and you feel a burn. Before that, if it's hard, it's not really a burning feeling (lack of O2) but more a maximum effort feeling.

It depends on your goals. If you're going for strength, start lowering the reps like I said. It'll be a different kind of lift, but it'll help a lot with strength gains.

Size is a different thing and people will tell you various stories about how 20 reps got them huge muscles or some bullshit. Really it's not well established how muscles grow in size and different things work for different people. Personally I saw huge size and strength gains doing smolov jr. for bench, but I was benching quite a bit more than you when I started smolov jr. I'd switch to a 3x5 or 5x5 and see if you can progress linearly on that, but if all else fails look up smolov jr. Took my bench from 185x5 (220 max) to 225x5 (265 max) in 8 weeks (two cycles of smolov). It's more an intermediate program so judge where you are.
>>
>>36593184
That is very helpful.
I was at 165 3x5 on stronglifts a few months ago before I switched to PPLxPPL my goal is size.

The strength decay is exactly like you describe. I hear do 8-10 reps for hypertrophy so I chose 10. I'm thinking 8 may be better for me then?

Or if it is aerobic function and I begin running daily, as I should be doing, that will help as well? It would definitely motivate me to run.
>>
>>36593114
bench then dips

doing tricep work first will fatigue you
>>
>>36593184
smolov jr hype
starting week 2 today; can't wait to see what my max is at the end. Did you do the 2 cycles back to back?
>>
>>36593728
yeah with a week taper in the middle to test my max. I went 220-->245-->265. Smolov jr can be done a couple times in a row like a regular program, whereas smolov (the squat one) can only be done once because it's a peaking program. I like smolov jr because it's a good amount of volume and diversity. I'm just gonna keep cycling it until the gains taper off. Take a taper week and max every cycle to monitor how you're progressing with it. If I go 265-->275 or something I'll keep with it, but I'm expecting this third cycle to kind of end up giving minimal gains.

Get it brudda.

>>36593478
Yeah so people throw around hypertrophy and hyperplasia with the corresponding high vs low reps, but it's hard to find evidence to back it up. Pretty much dudes that juice do high rep sets and it works for them, but it's hard to say it translates into non-roiders. I personally found my best size gains from increased overall volume and increased training per week. I hit bench 4 days a week right now and I can recover enough to where I'm making gains. I find that this works best for me in both size and strength.

The running may help due to increased efficiency of oxygen uptake, but all in all the difference will be minimal.

My one tip if you want a big chest is hold the bar wider than you expect. A lot of people bench with pretty close grip which tends to limit pec involvement. Holding wider activates pecs, and especially well if your bench form is good. My biggest bench gains came after like 18 months of training when I finally switched to wide grip and pause (as opposed to touch and go). This allowed explosive movement of the bar off my chest from the bottom and a lot more pec muscle recruitment. Narrower bench grips work delts and tris more, so even people that bench a lot or work hypertrophy on bench have small chests because they don't do wide or paused bench.
>>
This is now a roll thread.
Rollin for Pokemon
>>
>>36594390
Rolling for merica
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 213x237
>>36594408
Rolling for 34
>>
>>36594408
rallin
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3628x6760) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3628x6760
Roll your waifu!!!
>>
>>36594141
Great info man
>>
>>36594455
rall
>>
>>36594455
rolling
>>
>>36594455
roll
>>
>>36594455
rollin it
>>
>>36594455
ROOL IT
>>
>>36594455
ROLLIN 2
>>
rolling for snooki
>>
>>36594419
>>36594408
>>36594390
>>36594455
>>36596586
>>36596601
>>36596610
>>36596630
>>36596640
and another good, informative thread turned to shitposting and degeneracy.
>>
>>36594455
rolan
>>
>>36594455
rollaling
>>
There is far too much stupid in this thread for me to give a helpful answer.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 431x592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 431x592
>>36594455
Rollin
>>
>>36594455
roll
>>
>>36597200
are you kidding me
>>
>>36591948
I may try this.

>>36593051
>>36592741
Are you sure about benching 4 times a week being that much of a problem, because many people, on here and people I know personally have said benching every session has finally gotten them out of a plateau. Also routines like Sheiko say to bench every session if I remember correctly.

I've also tried changing the volume and rep ranges around, it did nothing.

To list the things I have tried:
Rep range changes, 3x5 to 5x3 or 5x5 etc
Benching twice a week instead of once
Adding in some high rep accessory work
Focusing on tricep strength through accessories
Widening grip
Eating more

Nothing had helped, I might try the pause press, maybe I was mistaken and it actually is my pecs that are weaker, not my tris, I can get it off my chest, but it's that area from about the first two inches off my chest to about 3-4 inches from lockout that causes issues for me.
>>
>>36591342
Hit 1.75pl8s today after lifting for 6 months bros. Did I do good?
>>
>>36591342
What is your current height, weight, and max bench press?
>>
>>36597441
>Nothing had helped, I might try the pause press, maybe I was mistaken and it actually is my pecs that are weaker, not my tris, I can get it off my chest, but it's that area from about the first two inches off my chest to about 3-4 inches from lockout that causes issues for me.
90% possibility of this being either form issues(I'd guess not setting up tight) or just the weight being too heavy. Weaknesses in the lifts rarely depends on a muscle group being weak.
>>
>>36594455
roll
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.