[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a /running/ thread? Recently getting really into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14
File: peroneal-anatomy.gif (110 KB, 1181x1121) Image search: [Google]
peroneal-anatomy.gif
110 KB, 1181x1121
Can we have a /running/ thread?

Recently getting really into my running, found a pretty good app called Strava which gives some neat stats on your run, with speed and elevation and you can compare different segments of your run with other runs and stuff. Highly recommended.

However, I've recently realised that my feet being naturally everted has led to my peroneus longus muscle fucking killing me on longer runs. Literally feels like it's going to blow out my leg at some points.
>>
Run slower, stretch more after your run.

I got a foam roller and it helped.

If you can afford massage therapy, go a few times to work out the kinks.
>>
Is doing HIIT in the forest a really bad idea? I hate running on the roads, but my forest tracks aren't that flat so I'm worried that I might just land on my ankle bad when sprinting. Also, sometimes I need to slow down due to this. Not sure how this affects my "running gains".
>>
>>36571082
yes its a bad idea unless theres a fairly level trail, even then its dicey. you're an errant root away from twistville, son
>>
File: 120244.jpg (48 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
120244.jpg
48 KB, 316x475
>>36570964
mapmyrun.com is pretty good too. uses google maps to calculate mileage, elevation, pace, all that shite. don't know how useful it is out of US though.

Going to post some training programs from my Hal Higdon Marathon book soon. Different training methods and programs. I will later tonight. Much better than the pinterest bullshit that comes up when you do a google search on programs
>>
I'm really out of shape and want to get into running for weight loss (along with eating properly of course).

I heard interval running is the best way to do that. How do I get into it? I'm not morbidly obese btw I can already run a little without dying if I have to but I never do since I just sit on my ass all day so I wanted to know what the best plan is to ease myself into it.
>>
I have a question. Traditional thick heeledbrunning shoes, or zero drop minimalist shoes? I feel like the zero drop ones will save my knees in the long run if I run in them the way you are supposed to.
>>
File: unicorn-08.jpg (358 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
unicorn-08.jpg
358 KB, 1024x768
I just got itbs about a week ago. Im miss running so bad :(, how do i make it heal faster???
>>
>>36572751
Running is shit for weight loss. Go cycling, much easier and better for burning calories
>>
>>36572751
Weightlifting is the best for fatties to lose weight. Running when you are overweight is only going to lead to long-term injury to your joints. Wait until you are fit to start running.

If you are fat and you start lifting properly and regularly combining this with a healthy diet, you're going to be at a normal weight within a year and all of that fat is going to turn into lean muscle.
>>
File: Kvelertak-Cover-v.1-Proof.jpg (549 KB, 1361x960) Image search: [Google]
Kvelertak-Cover-v.1-Proof.jpg
549 KB, 1361x960
>>36573886
I'd recommend minimal, also somewhat related to below

>>36573926
just stay off it for a good while, be sure to eat up and sleep more than normal

I've been training in five fingers for a few months and got up to six miles per running, working on pushing distance. Last week I went and got fit for full running shoes and they were comfy. Went for my first run today and fucking died around 1.5 mi. What is wrong? Is my form off or am i using different muscles with the regular shoes? No idea and it's frustrating. Hate and opinions
>>
>>36575088
Running can be pretty psychological at times, had a similar problem where I was hitting 5k in my runs every single day for a week and then took a day off. I panicked myself into thinking that I was fucking up and when I ran the next day I felt ruined after 2. Got back within the week but it was annoying as fuck
>>
File: dwain-chambers_1013860c.jpg (22 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
dwain-chambers_1013860c.jpg
22 KB, 460x288
>>36573950
>Running is shit for weight loss. Go cycling, much easier and better for burning calories
Confirmed for never gone for a run ever.
The calorie deference for cardio (outside of HIIT) is negligible.
The variables are what make each particular exercise "useful" or not.
Most cyclist are DYEL faggots.
Most sprinters have great bodies.
>>
>>36576343
Your diet must suck.
>>
>>36573950
>2016
>doing your cardio while sitting down

Shiggydiggitydoo
>>
>>36574931
>Weightlifting is the best for fatties to lose weight.
Into the trash your opinion goes.

Low impact cardio, is the best way for fatties to lose weight. The most common reason for people to start losing weight is to relieve stress on organs and joints.
Replacing your fat with muscle is not the desired goal for these people.

Get skinny, lose the weight, give your body time to repair it's broken muscular-skeletal system. Than lift.
>>
>>36571082
Look up bike trails. Cyclists hate it but running are those almost solve your problem. If you see an area with a bunch of bike part laying around then you should probably watch your step. The woods by my house has a nice long bike trail
>>
>>36576412
Sprinting is hardly running, more comparable to cycling would be marathon runner who weigh like nothing in terms of kg/cm

Of course sprinters have muscle, they train for explosiveness not endurance.
>>
>>36576454
>Sprinting is hardly running
>>
>>36576412
>Chris Hoy
>Dyel

Pick 1
>>
>>36576477
In terms of what your training for long distance running and sprinting are hardly comparable.

It gets even more retarded when that anon is trying to compare biking (and endurance sport) to sprinting.
>>
>>36572119
my mom knows hal higdon
both my parents are marathoners but I don't want to kill my gains
>>
How do I git gud at running form?
>>
I got 3:15 in my first half-marathon last year (very very steep elevation is my excuse for that time). There's a prize of sorts for getting under 2 hours, is that an unrealistic goal? It's in december.

Is that too much of a drain on the rest of my body's muscle development?

I've been following hal higdon's guides since then but only kinda
>>
Anybody run with their dog?

What's a good distance to run a medium size half pit? I usually run him about 1.5 miles per day, but he's still got pretty good energy.
>>
>>36576600
Use your shoulders to move your arms, not your elbows. Practice getting your knees up when you stretch and when you run. Exagerate the knee movement during stretches/warm ups. Keep a straight back when you run. It's okay to lean slightly.
>>
>>36576675
>Anybody run with their dog?

yeah but he's annoying as fuck, excited little fucker has no awareness and always pulls and tugs on the lead and runs off everywhere off the lead

but he's very cute and grills love him and it's cruel to not exercise a dog so
>>
>>36576675
I did 3 miles with my dog for many years, but she's older now, so I sprint with her to a park a mile away, and then I walk her home.
>>
File: 1457293111291.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1457293111291.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
I ran my first 50K (31 mile) race recently. If you want to really improve as a runner, make sure to include some hill workouts and some high intensity intervals on occasion. The benefits are huge.
>>
>>36570964
Do some mobility work for your hammies, calfs, ankles etc.
Might wanna read "Ready to run" by Kelly Starrett, worked well for me.
>>
Think I've got runners knee

Will rest heal it?
>>
File: 1456819580247.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1456819580247.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>36570964
>everted
you mean you pronate? Just get some stability shoes or insoles.

>>36572751
>running for weight loss
You want lower intensity and longer durations. HIT is for building cardiovascular strength, not burning calories.

>>36573886
>zero drop minimalist shoes
I consider these to be a retarded meme. If you want a midfoot/forefoot strike you can either go for shoes that are flatter or just, you know, run that way regardless of your heels.

>>36576600
Run on a treadmill, in front of a mirror or even better while filming yourself. Then pay attention while you're running. Try to not get too fatigued.
>>
File: 1414662905133.jpg (53 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
1414662905133.jpg
53 KB, 700x520
>going to the local super
>taking the bus
>about 150m away from the bus stop
>bus passes me
>next is in half an hour
>shoot out forward and start sprinting like my life depends on it
>manage to keep up with the bus until it reaches the stop
>bus slows down
>reach the stop at the same time
>people start whispering excitedly
>mfw

Post running stories.
>>
>>36571082
Run on your toes. This will make it _impossible_ to fuck up your ankles and also your calves will grow like motherfuckers.

>2016
>heel strike
have fun not walking in a few years, fuckboys
>>
>>36576843
Aren't zero drop shoes basically just flatter shoes? Like the running version of chucks?
>>
>>36576432
>>36574931

Actually, both of you faggots are wrong, but I'd agree with lifting weights before steady state cardio garbage.

Fatties also didn't get fat because of a lack of exercise, even though tit may have been a contributing factor. The reason they got fat was because they were eating a horrible diet. If a person eats properly, its next to impossible to get fat, regardless of exercise.

The best way to lose weight for fatties is to eat a balanced diet with a caloric deficiency.

Once they have achieved a level of weight loss where it makes sense to get in a gym, then a combination of weights first and low impact cardio is the way to go.

You both stand completely, and utterly corrected.
>>
File: 1436987780080.jpg (41 KB, 640x441) Image search: [Google]
1436987780080.jpg
41 KB, 640x441
I started running a few weeks ago on a treadmill. My ankle started hurting a few days ago and i've stopped running on it until it heals.

How the fuck did I hurt it? I'm not a fatass and i didnt roll it or fall over. I do run on it barefoot. Am I landing on my foot wrong? Am i supposed to "run on my toes" or try to land on the whole foot? I been kind of landing on the whole foot.

I cant believe I have to ask someone how to run.
>>
I managed to lose 6kg no the last two weeks.
I am eating clean at a deficit, lifting 4 times a week and running on alternate days.
I am starting to feel like shit and my legs are close to failure.
Decided to just walk 1h/day till Friday.
Any advice for better recovery?
>>
>>36579346
That picture killed me
>>
>>36579441
Lift and walk for 1h/day that is.
>>
>>36577655
Mid foot strike master race. Only reason to run on toes is sprints/fast paces and trails like you mentioned.
>>
>>36579441
Let your body recovery. You're over training.
>>
>>36572751
If you are out of shape and fat you won'tj be able to do the HIIT correctly
>>
>>36579346
Stretch. Tight muscles can cause joint and tendon pain, might be what you're experiencing. I have to make sure im on top of stretching or ill develop knee bursitis real quick.

The other thing to make sure you're doing is land in mid foot. Dont heel-toe, and only run on your toes/forefoot if you're running fast paces or sprinting.
>>
>>36572751
Long and slow mah nigga.
>>
File: 1427032799065.jpg (12 KB, 300x327) Image search: [Google]
1427032799065.jpg
12 KB, 300x327
>>36570964
My phone doesn't support Strava, any other good apps for tracking cycling stats?
>>
>>36570964
Been playing around with Zombies, Run! Neat idea of integrating game features more common in addictive mobile games into a fitness app. Makes you want to get out there and keep going to grind resources.

Biggest flaws? If you exit the app without finishing a run it can void progress. If you pause and have to multi-task and your memory flushes the app's progress, you lose the current run.

#1 biggest gripe? Sub-locked content. I'd be potentially willing to pay for the app, but I'm not paying a subscription fee. I'm unwilling to pay sub fees for things with far more content. And it lets you unlock one mission a week unless you pay in. So I may lose interest well before anything comes of it.
>>
>>36578389
The problem isn't the drop, the problem is the lack of padding.
>>
Is this the place for /sprint/? Anyway, anyone got any sick routines for sprinting? Especially for sports.

At the moment I just sprint 50m, then walk back to start, then do it again until I can't do it no mo. Obviously this is a retarded routine, so I wanna hear what else people do.
>>
>>36570964
I used to run, then i switched to cycling. Never have my legs felt better. I swear, running long distances fucks your legs up so hardd
>>
>>36576675
Yeah, bitch is a husky/alsation cross and we're generally out for about 3 miles. When we run she spends half the time right next to me and the other half sprinting about the woods looking for rabbits, never gets lost though, if I wait for her she sneaks around me until she's on the path in front. I swear she's doing it sarcastically.
>>
>>36576753
Running a marathon this year for the first time. Advice?
>>
File: 1412203410645.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1412203410645.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
I got into running while on this cut a couple weeks ago and have done too much too soon. As of about 4 or 5 days ago and through today, I have fucking bursitis. I'm trying to stay off it as much as possible. How do I get it to dissipate so that I can get back to work?
>>
File: 1447242639850.png (33 KB, 255x216) Image search: [Google]
1447242639850.png
33 KB, 255x216
>used to heel strike
>never really had any problems
>learn about midfoot and forefoot striking and how it's supposed to be good form
>start using mid foot for good while
>shins splints non stop
>mfw heel striking might be the answer for me
>>
Kindof off topic, when I run, the treadmills at the gym seem to slip.
Is it a maintenance issue or am I just a hamplanet/doing something wrong?
side note: I am overweight, but I can run without issue on a hard surface.
>>
What are some recommendations for minimal shoes? Also, do stores like Marshalls or TJMaxx carry them because i'm a poorfag.
>>
>>36579572
Windows phone subhuman race. You can't hide from me, I was once one of you.

If you actually are on WP check out the app striver
>>
>>36580902
check out the few different variations that new balance puts out, I see them recommended a lot. Minimus I think
>>
>>36580944
Do you guys ordered them online, or did you go to a footlocker?
>>
>>36580902
Are you sure you want minimal shoes if you've never tried them? What are you using now?
>>
I just go to payless shoesource, get a nice flat pair for like $15 and get $8 inserts. The inserts usually outlast the shoes, get a new pair every other month. You don't need to look nice running, just be comfortable :)
>>
Since I'm on a cut, I figured each day I eat above my allowed maximum calories, I'll go for a run to burn off that amount of calories.

Good idea or nah?

>>36577655
I agree with this, on the HIIT front. But that's because I did HIIT on a 30 degree incline in the woods, and anything but toe strike was pretty much impossible.
>>
Walking or running for weight loss?
>>
>>36581807
HIIT and lifting
>>
>>36581313
Both? Barefoot type stuff is pretty good to try on in store tho
>>
>>36581631
Running for an hour burns about 600 so roughly a large snack/small meal. Your call, but if you like running it's a win-win
>>
>>36576688
Train your Fucking dog to run beside you. Not in front.
>>
>>36579780
Sprint up hill.
Run back down.
Repeat.
>>
>>36581928
what about those trying to lose weight before starting hormones?
>>
Always when I run more than 20 minutes I start feeling horrible numbness and pain in my upper foot and shins, sometimes to the point that I'm not even able to run. I took a two weeks break, with regular calf and ankle stretching and it didn't really change anything. I also always care about good warmup and try to strike mid-foot.
Any ideas how to fix that? I'm not fat, I also used to run a bit few years ago and I don't remember such problems.
>>
I've got a question for yall. For the last 7-8 years I've worn orthotics as prescribed by my physician after I broke my leg playing soccer. I've recently decided I don't want to be dependant on an insert for my shoe and took them out of my running and hiking shoes. Is there anything I can do to speed up the recovery process and strengthen my ligaments?
>>
>>36583730
>losing weight before starting hormones?

Exactly what I did. I dropped close to 60 pounds with diet alone. Started hitting the gym pretty hard and wasn't getting anywhere. I had zero motivation, yet I'd go almost every day and give 110%. Turns out test was low. Multiple doctors told me the same thing. I tried all kinds of natural things and eventually decided to start pinning before I killed someone.

I have a shitty autoimmune disease, but never have i felt better, or been in better shape. Have not looked back.

Anyway...

If you're trying to lose weight, the answer to your original question is NEITHER. You didn't get overweight from a lack of walking or running. You got fat because you have a shit diet. That means you can un-fat yourself by Un-fucking your diet and go on a slight calorie deficit. The weight WILL come off and you should feel great while it does. Once you lose the weight, then you can start entertaining the idea of exercise. (the person who said HIIT and lifting had it right, except backwards. Do your lifting first, then HIIT).

Exercising while trying to re-learn how to eat properly is more than most people can figure out simultaneous, and unnecessarily complicates matters. Keep it simple.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>36580842
It's the treadmill. Two of them in my gym slip. Just try to find one that works right and maybe report the slipping to the staff/owner.
>>
>been having shin pain for the last few months
>been running sporadically in this time
>see physio, he thinks I have a stress fracture
>take a week of then try swimming for recovery
>shin hurts after
>therideneverends.jpg

Might be unrelated soft tissue thing though. Sucks as I really wanted to improve my swimming during the 6 week of on impact training
>>
>>36580842
>Overweight
>running on a treadmill

Seriously kill yourself... oh wait.. you're trying to do that already. Why do fat fucks do this shit? If you're overweight, you've got much bigger problems that aren't related to the gym or or a treadmill.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.