[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain bulking to me. If it raises bf% why is it needed for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1429292692473.jpg (38 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
1429292692473.jpg
38 KB, 300x450
Explain bulking to me. If it raises bf% why is it needed for building muscle? Surely fat storage doesn't do anything for you. Is there a sweet spot like 100 cal over maint that all gets used for muscle building?
>>
>>36506358
>Is there a sweet spot like 100 cal over maint that all gets used for muscle building?
No.
>>
I'm going to be starting this myself here soon and am also somewhat confused. My understanding is that calories are only part of the equation, the other part being your macros. If you're not getting enough protein then your surplus won't matter.

But I understand what you're asking and I am wondering the same thing - what is the limit on how much your body can use for muscle growth? At what point does your body say "this is enough surplus for muscle repair, either shit out the rest or store it as fat"?
>>
>>36506515
I think +200 calories is the accepted lean bulk amount. It's low enough that even if you're storing fat beyond muscle repair, it won't be a big deal. I think 500 cal bulk might just be a meme. And if it isn't, I hear a lot of complaints about losing gains when cutting all that off.
>>
File: kethcuop.jpg (15 KB, 461x353) Image search: [Google]
kethcuop.jpg
15 KB, 461x353
basically muscle needs two things to grow.

> surplus of calories
>protons

the energy from the surplus goes into building muscles using the proteins; however, some of this excess energy is also used by the body to build fat.

theres no way to exercise in a way that the surplus only goes into building muscle, your body will always produce both.
>>
>>36506515
>But I understand what you're asking and I am wondering the same thing - what is the limit on how much your body can use for muscle growth?

Standard amounts are cited as ~2 pounds of muscle growth a month for beginners, ~1 pound a month for intermediate, and maybe ~0.5 pounds a month for advanced lifters. Younger people maybe a bit more, older a bit less.

That translates to 200, 100 and 50 or so extra kcal a day. Now, no one knows their exact TDEE every single day, so you bulk say +200 or +300 to make sure your getting enough. A little fat on top is no big deal as long as you don't pig the fuck out.
>>
>>36506599
This is all you need if you're natty. Bulking and cutting in general are terms used mainly by steroid using bodybuilders. For most people a general body recomp will suffice. Just make sure to get a decent amount of protein and theres no reason to eat a large surplus of calories to gain muscle
>>
>>36506629
>>36506639
I see, thanks anon.
>>
Bulking is just a method of gaining muscle (and fat) used by body builders and people with already a good ammount of muscle. To be honest is not that healthy as you need to know what are you doing or else you will get fat and scream permabulk. It is not the only way to gain muscle contrary to what /fit/ thinks.

For example, DYEL just need to lift heavy weights and eat more protein, as their muscle mass is low. People with already 1/2/3/4 stats are the ones who are fucked and doomed to do this bulk/cut cycle forever.
>>
>>36506663
I'm not exactly new to the gym but I lift babby weight. Can I still get noob gains?
>>
>>36506690
Sure. Noob gains stop once you start lifting with bad form more weight that you can. Aim for good ammount of reps at proper weight. It will take time but you'll get there eventually.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.