[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you take a break between each rep or do you do them consecutively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: ThePress™.jpg (148 KB, 900x593) Image search: [Google]
ThePress™.jpg
148 KB, 900x593
Do you take a break between each rep or do you do them consecutively when doing OHP?
>>
I usually hold at the top for a second or two for heavy sets

Really just do what you think you need to do
>>
First week at the gym eh little guy? I'd stay away from the showers for a few months, Big P eats bottom feeders like you for brunch
>>
>>36506267
Consecutively.

Sometimes I will do a little knee bounce to get the movement started. I know it's cheating a little but I don't care.

>>36506284
I also hold at the top for a second or two on my last couple reps of my last set.
>>
Question: I rarely see anyone at my gym doing The Press, and when I do, at least half the time, they have their legs split with one foot in front of the other. I've never seen any article in which that is taught. Are these people idiots? Obviously, they do it for stability front/backward, but would having a split stance affect the musculature utilized in the lift?
>>
>>36506267
If you take a break then you aren't doing reps.

Except on deadlifting, in which case if the bar isn't dead for every rep you're a dirty bouncing cheater.
>>
>>36506267
I find it more tiring by doing breaks.

>>36506315
Starting the movement is really hard at first but you should avoid before that "sometimes" become "always" and you're doing just a push press
>>
I am now worried

I normally do 3 sets of 8 of 60kg OHP.

>I normally take one big breath and hold it
>Get 5 reps done
>Then the last 3 reps are one breath one rep

Please rate my lift breathing
>>
>>36506316
maybe crossfit/powerlifting idiots..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFSBGIPMa9A
>>
>>36506267
I take a few breaths between reps so I have enough oxygen to go on.
Also when I've reached failure in strict OHP I do a few Push Press reps for dat eccentrics gains.
>>
The only exercises where I pause between reps are squats and deadlifts, because I get light-headed if I don't.
>>
>>36506483
breath in while letting the weight down and breath out while pushing the bar! if you cant breath properly while doing overhead presses, maybe go down with the weight! 60kg is very nice btw.
>>
When doing OHP, how do I keep from leaning backwards to the point that it practically becomes an incline press?
>>
On heavy sets, I find that I fail the reps if I don't do them consecutively after the first rep.
>>
>>36506582
spine should be neutral man, are you bracing your core throughout the push?
>>
>>36506267
I pause at the bottom for a second or two. If I don't do that, I tend to cheat a little bit with my legs.
>>
>>36506582
You've got to brace your entire body. Abs, butt, legs all tight
>>
Is it cheating if I "bounce" the weight on the first rep? Like, ill hold the bar at chin level then drop it to my clavicle and then continue the lift normally from there
>>
>>36506587
Agreed. If I pause I feel like I do much worse
>>
File: 1457620677689.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
1457620677689.gif
3 MB, 360x203
>>36506536
... The fuck? It's used in Olympic Lifting, never in Powerlifting. Most powerlifters use Strict Press as assistance though.
>>
Alright OP here, I'm gonna go do OHP now and do consecutive reps instead of short breaks like I've done before. I'll report back if the thread is still alive.
Thanks.
>>
>>36506334
>Except on deadlifting, in which case if the bar isn't dead for every rep you're a dirty bouncing cheater.
Or on squats, where you need a second to inhale and brace your abs again.
Or on bench, where you need to pause at the bottom.
Or on curls, where you need to squeeze at the top.
Or on pendley rows, where you need to stop the weight dead on the floor.
Or on shrugs, where you need to hold at the top.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 960x540
>>36506316
Guessing people do this because thats what OLYs does on the CJ. To me it doesnt make much sense if youre pressing strict as it seems easier to engage your core and get the 'bounce' at the bottom of your lift with a normal stance. In the end though its a matter of preferance and you should do whatever the fuck you wanna do!
>>
Pause at the bottom. If I just do it without stopping it's way easier.
>>
>>36506267
> OHP'ing 3 plates.
Looks like I've been doing babyweight all along.
>>
>>36506315
>Sometimes I will do a little knee bounce to get the movement started. I know it's cheating a little but I don't care.
It's not cheating anon but it's not OHP also desu. It's called push press. It's really hard to fight it so I'm not blaming you
>>
File: 1433660302649.jpg (34 KB, 470x310) Image search: [Google]
1433660302649.jpg
34 KB, 470x310
>>36507017
I dunno I guess it was slightly easier. I've only done this weight once before and I got the same amount of reps, and my OHP is so weak it's hard to judge. I'll keep trying it this way.

>tfw weak
>>
I did 6 sets of 3 pausing at the bottom for about 4 months and got my max from 145 to 190.

If you want to work on your 1rm, I think it's best to pause at the bottom. I think that consecutive with a short bounce to start the set is better otherwise.
>>
I do clean and presses cus there fun 3x5 150lbs. I usually can't more than three in before having to take a deep breath, shits exhausting.
>>
>>36506667
Do you use your legs?
>>
File: 1455201995332.jpg (95 KB, 500x748) Image search: [Google]
1455201995332.jpg
95 KB, 500x748
>425 DL
>355 squat
>225 bench
>95 OHP
How the fuck do you guys do it? I'm thinking it might be because my mobility is awful but my OHP hasn't moved in fucking months.
>>
>>36508881
how wide do you grip the bar, like in ops pic or wider? also do you keep the bar infront of you all the time or let it go a little behind the top of your head when at the top
>>
>>36508916
Like OPs pic
I literally cant get it behind me because my flexibility is so bad. Its always a little in front. Not quite a incline bench but not quite a OHP either.
>>
>>36508881
Start here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
>>
>>36508981
So just do shoulder dislocations every day? Takes like 1 minute and you can use a towel, t-shirt or whatever.
>>
>>36506578
wrong
if you do this, you'll lose tightness and never be able to be 100% efficient

unrack the bar
take a deep breath
tighten the fuck up (everywhere, especially glutes)
lift it up
loweer it down
exhale
inhale
next rep

what you said may be true for lighter lifts and accessories, not for heavy compound lifts
lrn2valsalva
>>
>>36506334
in other words you bouncing the weight... say goodbye to your joints...
>>
Of course I take a second or whatever you need to breathe after all. Just don't bounce and its fine.
>>
>>36506267
I do both.
Some sets I reset between reps, some sets I don't.
Sticking point is a bit higher if I don't reset.

>>36506316
Stability, yep.
The effect is probably insignificant for a strict press, and certainly much lower than the effect in a jerk.

>>36506667
Just depends on your definition of cheating.
Personally, I think a strict press should begin from rest.
Train however you want.
>>
>>36508981
Stretch your lats and improve thoracic mobility.

>>36509501
Shoulder dislocations are not worth the injury risk if you don't do oly lifting.
>>
>>36508881
I was stuck at 130 for a year. Then one day I decided to up the fuck out of my carbs, no shirt like 200 more carbs than I would normally eat, and within a week got to 135 and a 2 weeks later 145. Didn't gain more than a lb
>>
>>36506578
That's how you lose intra abdominal pressure and snap your shit up. Google core bracing, you should be doing it on most lifts

>>36506582
You Google it too

>>36509529
Close, but you're still under tension at the bottom. You should breathe when your elbows are locked at the top, the same way you wouldn't breathe with the bar on your chest during bench
>>
>>36508721

do you have to pause at the bottom for 4 months each rep?
>>
>>36511438
kek
>>
>>36506334
What if I wait around 4-6 seconds after every rep untill complete 5 reps?
>>
>>36506536
I'm going to assume this is a troll because it'd better to think someone as stupid as you doesn't exist.
>>
>>36508881
Grip closer, thumbs wrapped around the bar. Ala Jim Wendler method
>>
>>36506267

If you pause the bar on your clavicle at the bottom of the rep you eliminate the stretch reflex - forcing yourself to do more work.

That's why it's easier to breathe in at the top when doing heavy sets rather than at the bottom.
>>
>>36508881
How the fuck... you have to be doing something terribly wrong
>>
If you take a break that is the end of your set and you are just holding the weight waiting for the next one.
>>
>>36509476
Thank you. Sincerely, different anon with OHProblems
>>
>>36506267
Pause reps if nearing fatigue
>>
>>36506310
Kill yourself faggot
>>
File: 1451622889200.gif (3 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1451622889200.gif
3 MB, 300x168
>>36511438
>>
>>36506267
>locking elbows

no this is how you end up with fucked up joints and less gains

TUT
U
T
>>
>>36511098
>but you're still under tension at the bottom
the bar should be resting on your front delts
so tension should be way less than in extended position
yes, it's correct what you said for bench, but ohp involves a lot more of overall body strength to stabilize the weight at the top of the movement than bench
>>
>>36508881
>proudrippetoe.jpg
>>
>>36506560
Then you aren't going heavy enough on your other lifts.
>>
>>36506587
Same. If I pause at all that's it for me.
>>
Lock out at the top, wait 1-2 sec, then go down and up again. So no rest, but quick pause when fully locked out.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.