[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best 5x5 routine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 52d0f-rippetoe_DAT_ASS.jpg (20 KB, 305x211) Image search: [Google]
52d0f-rippetoe_DAT_ASS.jpg
20 KB, 305x211
What is the best 3-5x5 beginner routine?
We have
-Bill Starr's
-Reg Park's
-SS
-SL
-Ice cream fitness
-Fierce 5
-what else?
>>
>>36483051
>-what else?
Greyskull LP
>>
>>36483051
Greyskull is really popular. Just pick one and start lifting though, that's the important thing at this stage.
>>
>>36483051
Babylovers SS
>>
>>36483051
>-Reg Park's
Definitely this because of good balance. And actually it is 3x5 (first set is 60% and second is 80%).
>>
>>36483051
>-Ice cream fitness
>-Fierce 5
>just pick SS or SL
>put some accessories in it
>make a post on forum.bodybuilding.com about it
>Success: you are a new internet fitness coach
>>
Modified SS. Do it vanilla (until you have decent lifts), then make edits so it suits you.

What I did:

A:
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 3x5
Dip 3xF (Until I reached 15 reps, then I'd add weight)
Bicep Work 4x8

Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
75% Deadlift 3x5
Chinups (same as dips)
Tricep Work 4x8

Tuesday and Saturday:
Ab Work
>>
Anyone that is not 3 days a week? It's lame to workout that little.
>>
>>36483379
It is lame to work out so infrequently, but you will get more results if you allow yourself to fully recover.
>>
>>36483379
Is it also lame to get scientifically better gains than working out 3+ days at the start?
>>
>>36483179
>Implying SS and SL aren't just repackaged centuries old lifting knowledge

Dude...
>>
>>36483440
>>36483407

So, this would be awful for linear progression?

Mon: Squat + Bench
Tue: OHP + Pendlay Row
Wednesday: Squat + Deadlift + Bench
Thu: OHP + Pendlay Row
Fri: Squat + Bench
>>
>>36483465
The barbell has not existed for centuries.
>>
>>36483487
They used jedi powers before that, duh.
>>
>>36483481
Why not try it out and see if it works for you?

I suspect all that pressing would be very taxing for a beginner, and you wouldn't be able to sustain an increase each session for long, but someone who's already athletic and eating/sleeping well should be able to handle the volume.
>>
>>36483465
SS is very deep rethinking of Bill Starr's routines
>>
>>36483523
I might try, I eat and sleep good and I have always had pretty good ability to recover. I might increase weights on push exercises once a week instead of every time if it gets too rough.
>>
The best is the one that gets you off your lazy ass and into the gym.
>>
>>36483210

That would work but dumbasses would to it too soon. Trex hurrrrr
>>
Aristotle said that Alexander did a 5x5 type rep scheme. So it's pretty old.
>>
>>36483379
Lift heavy enough and 3 days a week will be more than enough when you first start out.
>>
might as well ask here.
ive started SL recently after a decentgly long time on a shitty brosplit with little progression. when should i be aiming to modify it with accessories. a set timeframe or should i shoot for a max rep weight before adding anything?
>>
>>36483379
the reason you have to start lifting more is to give one part of the body more time to recover before lifting with it again.
>>
>>36483487
This is the year 2015 idiot.
And weights and using external weights and even the body or others body to workout is old as fuck.
There's fucking workout and martial arts heiroglyphs for fucks sakes.
>>
>>36483051
Greyskull
>>
>>36483623
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton

first documentation of linear progression, brehs.
>>
>>36483210
do chinups pick up the upper back slack of not doing rows?
>>
>>36483407
I'm one month into SL, I feel that with 3 days I'm wasting so much time, and I'm never sore the day after. 4 days would be ideal
>>
>>36483554
This.
those routines are aimed at beginners, at that point you just need to learn the movements and build strength, I couldn't give less of a fuck if I'm not doing the perfect routine rather than one that will do 95% of that
>>
>>36484178
Yes. Especially if you do them with elbows out.
>>
>>36484224
>chinups with elbows out
what do you mean?
>>
>>36484191
being sore is not the indicator of gaining strength. Just keep doing it. Adding 5-10lbs each workout will eventually become a lot more taxing. You can switch over to Lascek's Texas Method after that and do a four day split for strength or 5/3/1. But you still will be able to make weekly gains for a while too.
>>
>>36484191
You don't need to be sore to be making progress or be recovering. DOMS doesn't mean anything as far as progress or building muscle

You need at least a day between hitting the same muscles. I do SL every other day, so some weeks it's three times and some weeks it's four times. Give it time, once the weights get high enough, you'll need that day to recover
>>
>>36484255
The thing is that I already stalled a while, and that's because I didnt start from empty bar (already lifted in the past) and maybe neglected form a little, so the normal plateue came before expected.
But even when I do the max I can I dont feel anything the next day, especially with bench and pecs.
I guess I'll just keep on trying to add weight, maybe not every workout, but still do.
Today for example I finally broke my plateue at OHP (seated), did 37.5kg, and added to my deadlift, 65kg. And I feel confident about bench, second to last bench I struggled at 57.5 with a spotter, last time same but with 60. maybe I'll be able to do 60 this time.
Inclined pushups on rest days to gain some more pecs (mine are awful) yay or nay?
>>36484264
I'm on SL as well, I could do ABxABxx or ABxAxBx doing squats only on A or B.
>>
>>36483574
SL is fine, but do the SS beginning weight test. I did that and started with chins/pullups and dips/stand calf and was fine.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.