[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you measure the time of running a mile? I can run exactly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: 993473.jpg (62 KB, 313x461) Image search: [Google]
993473.jpg
62 KB, 313x461
How do you measure the time of running a mile? I can run exactly 0.25ths of a mile before having to stop. How can someone like me measure a mile ran?
>>
you can run a single lap around the track before giving up?

baka desu senpai
>>
>>36355319
Run a mile you turbotard
>>
>>36355324
I don't know, how long is a track?
I can run a quarter of a mile.
the run becomes a jog by the end of it though.

>>36355329
I know, but listen. People say, Oh I ran a mile in 15 minutes, But if I am out of breath after a quarter of a mile, how can I possibly track that?
Do I just stop my timer and wait until I am in breath again? Do I walk some of it and take that as part of my time too?
>>
>>36355319
By running a fucking mile you mongoloid
>>
>>36355340
no shit you'll be out of breath after a quarter mile but you have to keep going

one lap is a quarter mile

is this for real?
>>
>>36355354
>>36355351
Maybe I am not articulating myself correctly.

So when people say they ran a quarter mile, the are talking about them walking the times they were out of breath too?

BTW pic related, do I look like a mongoloid?
>>
>>36355319
Your estimated mile time is INFINITY because you can't run a whole mile you dumb shit.

In order to run a mile, you first have to RUN A MILE. You have to learn to pace yourself so you can FINISH a mile.

I can't believe someone has to actually tell you this, OP. Can you walk and chew gum at the same time? Bet you can't.
>>
>>36355362
you should be out of breath while you are running that's the point

when you run a mile you just say the time it took you to move your fucking body a mile
>>
>>36355319
this whole thread is weird

from the pic to how OP talks

wtf is going on here
>>
>>36355363
Infinity? infinite does not exist. You would say that his estimated run time is Null, or none, but not infinite, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>36355319
That's the north Hollywood bank robber
>>
>>36355385
>OP starts running, clock starts running
>gets out of breath and quits
>never finished a whole mile
>clock continues running forever
>time is INFINITE because he never finishes
Don't be so goddamned pedantic.

His time is 'Not Applicable' since he did not finish. You going to stop sperging out now?
>>
>>36355362
It's 3am so maybe I'm just being an idiot right now but I am not understanding you.

When people say they ran a quarter of a mile it's because they ran a quarter of a mile. You can't run a quarter of a mile and then multiply the time by 4 and call that your mile time because you will often time slow down the further you run.

Go out there and see how long it takes you to finish a mile. If you have to walk then walk but you gotta push, don't stop running just because you're out of breath. If it takes you 10 minutes to run a mile, you have a 10 minute mile. If it takes you 30 minutes to run a mile, you have a 30 minute mile. You got this, friend.
>>
>>36355401
If you're being so technical then I guarantee that OP doesn't stop his mile and then stand still for the rest of his life. He will hit that mile distance traveled eventually d:^)
>>
>>36355402
>30 minute mile
OP is an 80 year old woman using a walker.

If someone can't even WALK a mile in 12 minutes then I feel sorry for whoever it is.
>>
File: 1448873074251.png (81 KB, 624x628) Image search: [Google]
1448873074251.png
81 KB, 624x628
>>36355319
>>
>>36355402
I am terrible at words, but for example. If I run the first quarter, then walk the last three quarters, and the time that takes, is that my mile ran even though I didn't run most of it?
>>
>>36355409
>then I guarantee that OP doesn't stop his mile and then stand still for the rest of his life
Close to it, I'd say he passes out on the pavement from exhaustion and oxygen deprivation.
>>
>>36355415
Yup, that will be your mile time! Then eventually, as you improve, you will walk less and run more. Your time will improve more and more. Get out there and make me proud, bro. You got this
>>
>>36355340
Timing any distance means no stopping the timer you cardio newfag
>>
>>36355409
Thank you, atleast this guy isn't a fucking idiot.

>Dur doesn't finish lap, means infinity!
>>
>>36355415
.....you can't be this dumb
>>
>>36355415
Yes, it's the total time you take to cover the distance regardless of how pathetically you manage that.
>>
>>36355421
Thank you, that was practically what I was asking, I'm sorry my words were weird. Thank you for being patient with me and understanding me, friend.
>>
>>36355426
explain how that is dumb, please.
>>
>>36355427
How?

If he walks a mile that is NOT the same as running

Or in his example if he runs one lap and walks the other three how does that translate into his running g time? It doesn't. He's better off timing the one lap he ran and then using that number to determine his running time

So if OP ran first lap in 5 mins then he could assume that he'd run all four laps in 5 mmns maki g his running mile time 20 mins
>>
>>36355415

Yes.
>>
>>36355453

Yeah sure, I run 100m in 10 seconds so it takes me just over a minute and a half to run a kilometre.
>>
File: 4356293.png (119 KB, 295x375) Image search: [Google]
4356293.png
119 KB, 295x375
Thank you to the people who weren't autistic and upset over me not knowing what exactly measures in the running of a mile.
>>
>>36355340
If you can't walk a mile in 15 minutes, wtf is wrong with you
>>
File: Retard.jpg (59 KB, 240x243) Image search: [Google]
Retard.jpg
59 KB, 240x243
>>36355487
Fucking idiot, when did he say he couldn't walk a mile in 15 minutes? He gave an example of people claiming they run that distance in 15 minutes.
>>
You guys are 90% spergs that have never ran a mile in the first place.

A 10 minute mile isn't terrible. It isn't great either. It means the runner kept a nice 6mph jog the whole time.

"Walking" a 12 minute mile is a lot more like jogging for most of it and walking a few seconds here and there.

OP start a fucking c25k program or something. Your heart will thank you
>>
>>36355479
If you stop running after a quarter mile then it means you can't run a mile.
>>
>>36355557
Man, I just started C25K and it's kind of amazing how fast you progress. Last week I was getting tired doing 60/90, now this week I struggled at the beginning for 90/120, but yesterday I was a lot better.
>>
>>36355608
Keep going it gets better and better. Once you hit the 5k goal swap to swimming and your knees will thank you when you're older
>>
You time it in one go. However long it takes you to travel a mile is however long it takes you. If you were to stop, take a break, stop the timer, and then start it again when you're ready, you're not really timing how long it takes you to travel a mile, are you? You're cutting out huge swathes of the time it would take for you.

The point of a mile time is to show your endurance/speed. At a certain point as well, if you can't even run a mile in one go, why would you take a mile time? The question "how long does it take to run a mile?" doesn't apply for you because you can't even run a mile in the first place. It would be like asking a person how fast they can bend a steel bar in half. The natural answer is "I can't".
>>
>>36355557
Nigga, anything over 8 minutes is shit
>>
>>36355714
Strava data shows most people run 9 minute miles so just kill yourself.
>>
File: 1456361750383.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1456361750383.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>36355747
>the average fitness level isn't shit
>>
>>36355319
Run, walk, run, walk. Time the whole thing. Incidentally, this is interval training and its actually good for your cardio gains.

Once you build up endurance, your fastest time will be pacing your run to do negative splits (faster each lap). However, even then still do interval training once a week or so to keep up gains.
>>
>>36355755
Fat people don't log runs on strava, moron. The fit people make up 90% of the runs logged. This is simple statistics, which you would know if you didn't flunk out of college.
>>
>>36355762
>the average "fit" person's mile is longer than 8 minutes
Damn that's just pathetic

Never went to college boy
>paying money for shit I'm not interested in
>>
>>36355794
So you admit that you are ignorant and just running your mouth about things you know nothing about. Got it.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.