[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rich Piana always does slow, concentrated 30 rep sets and contracts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 500x500
Rich Piana always does slow, concentrated 30 rep sets and contracts the muscle while doing it.

I tried it and got some serious burn / pump.

Is this actually a good way to build muscle? I can't see why it wouldn't work for natural lifters. It's a shit load of volume.
>>
>>36268503
no.
>>
>>36268781
Not helpful, I appreciate the bump though.
>>
>>36268799
don't mention it.
>>
>30 rep sets
>natty
pick one
>>
>is actual resistance training better than letting gravity do half the work?
>>
>>36268503
TUT
>>
>>36268978
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN
>>
squeezing the muscle for 6-10 reps with perfect form and light weight is better than doing forced not squeezing the muscle reps.
>>
>>36269018
Sure, but what about 30 reps for the burn?
>>
>>36268503

Building mass is all about time under tension. Generally, for a natural lifter, it's easier to maximize TUT by going heavy for a few sets. The problem with mass volume of concentration curls is if you're going too light it won't do much, if you're going too heavy it'll wreck your shit recovery wise.

It's a good idea to add this kind of stuff to your training, but if you're not on steroids don't make it the focus. For example, say you're on an upper lower split:

ULxULxx

Throw in these kind of sets on your second U or L day - you'll have just about 96 hours to recover then. If you try to do this kind of thing on the first set of days you may not be able to go hard later in the week, y'know?

Always slip this stuff in at the end of the workout as well, though I'm sure that's how you're handling it already.
>>
>>36268503
I was doing 30 rep sets as well. It worked, but I thought I'm going to die the next day. So now I do only 10.
>>
>>36268799
I'm >>36268781
see? it worked!
>>
Not sure how valid it is, but I've heard that hypertrophy while on gear is more about building a pump, thus TUT is more important

Might be broscience. Idk
>>
>>36269043
I'm actually running Texas method. I was thinking of doing it for all my accessories but now I'm not so sure because I'm cautious on recovery.

My accessories are
>skull crushers
>curls
>dumbbell bench
>lateral raises

Perhaps I could get away with it on lateral raises and curls as I only press once a week and bicep fatigue isn't too bad but I'd like to hear a second opinion.
>>
I think somewhere in the sticky when it talks about diet, it says to eat a variety of foods since different people report success with different foods.

Like for everyone saying they cut out bread & it made a huge difference, there's just as many people who still eat bread & look great.

I find its the same with rep ranges. Among natty & geared lifters, you see some doing 1RM every gym session, some doing 15 rep sets, and some doing a mix of both. It all seems to work pretty well.

The main thing is pushing yourself. If you're not turning purple in the face & making crazy noises, you're probably not putting in enough effort, and that will matter a lot more than most other shit people worry about, like doing 5 reps vs 12. Just push yourself in the gym & it won't matter.
>>
>>36269242
I guess my main point is that even if 5 reps is more optimal than 30, its definitely possible for someone to make more gains doing 30 rep sets because they worked the muscle better; while the 5 rep guy could be cheating & not even working the target muscle. It also goes the other way around, the 30 rep guy could make no gains if he wasn't focused on feeling the muscles contract, etc.
>>
2 slow reps, 2 super fast reps, 2 reps with irregular speed, 2 reps with 20 second static hold, 2 reps while singing national hymn, then jump in water and give 5 reps more.
Gotta confuse the muscle goddammit
>>
>>36268978
Time under tension.

If I squeeze my muscles for 5 seconds at the top of ever rep, and take another 5 seconds to lower it, and you complete your reps in under 1 second... it won't matter if we both did a 5-rep set because my set lasted 10x as long as yours.

Its the same principle that explains why we have static movements like the plank, and explains why abs are worked during a squat
>>
>>36269288
Funny. This shit works though, Arnold did the same kind of things. Another good one is do the bottom 1/2 of the rep 10x, then do the top 1/2 of the rep 10x, then try to knock out another 10 full reps on top of that.
>>
>>36268503
The pianameista is very open about his steroid usage, he recommends his type of training only to people running similar doses and have been training for years and years.

Watch his video on what he says about natural lifting if you want strategies that will work for you, or alternatively read the sticky and choose a beginner routine
>>
>Thinking it even matters what Pianoman does in the gym, given the amount of gear he's on and all of the synthol.

But to try to give a helpful answer to your question: That sounds kinda dumb and overly complicated, but I doubt it's gonna do something terrible like kill your gains, so try it all you want I guess.

Seriously though, don't make getting ideas on how to train from juiced up synthol-filled freaks like Piana a habit. Get your advice from coaches, not jackasses who have no way of knowing if any of the shit they do "training" even matters at all.
>>
>>36269399
He's done synthol in the past but that shit wears off... Why would he admit to past use then lie about current use?

The amount of gear he claims he's on isn't even that much, and again why would he lie about the amount of gear he's on? If he wasn't being honest, he wouldn't say anything at all.

Lots of people take more gear than him & are laughably small still.
>>
>>36269124

Try it with both on Friday - if you've got Saturday and Sunday for rest.

>>36269242

This guy's got it. Besides TUT the thing about varying rep ranges is - though there is carry over - you're best at what you practice.

Say you bench 200 lbs 3x5 - you may be able to hit 9 reps at 180 before you give out. Take another bloke who benches 180 3x10 - he may be able to hit 4 reps at 200 before he gives out. If you have the time and the gas in the tank, switch it up. 'Muscle confusion' and all that, right brevs?

>>36269284

Nah, broham. How you confuse the muscle is you tell yourself you're gonna do bench press. You wake up and you say GONNA BENCH. You're in the shower and you're singing GONNA BENCH. In the car? It's like a mantra.

Then when you walk into the gym you run to the bench and you start curling that motherfucker like a mad man! That's how you confuse the shit outta your muscles.
>>
>>36268503
It's good for promoting that mind muscle connection that many people lack during lifting.
>>
>>36269451

Shit, that was meant for >>36269288

This codeine has got me all fogged up. Checked btw.
>>
>>36269438

He's been shamelessly blasting gear since the days when Malcolm in the Middle was a hit TV show. He could've spent this whole time in a chemically-induced coma and still likely have turned out bigger than even most other known roiders.
>>
>>36269242
>If you're not turning purple in the face & making crazy noises
this is how you end up with migraines and aneurysms - if you're unable to breathe during an exercise it messes up your brain function somehow (I forget the exact details, blood vessels in the brain or something). As much as I respect intensity and pushing yourself (in a more moderate way) taxing the muscles doesn't have to mean setting yourself up for those issues.
>>
>>36269124
>>dumbbell bench
Do chest presses with dumbells help on bench? I'm stalling right at 215x5 and I'm looking for some accessories to help. Already doing skull crushers twice a week.
>>
>>36268503
>>36268503
All these faggots don't know shit. Just start with a heavy weight (like 3-5rm) and go to failure with it.

Then pick an 8-10 rep and go to failure. Then you can start your 30 rep set bullshit, get a decent strength response, and fuuuucktons of hypertrophic volume
>>
>>36272000
They have higher pec emg ratings and strengthen stabilizers. Any variation of bench would help, desu.

I recommend floor press to take the leg drive out and focus on upper body strength
>>
>>36272060
I see. I'm gonna look into adding these senpai.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.