[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Low Bodyfat, No Abs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9
File: IMG_7332 (2).jpg (458 KB, 1967x1859) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7332 (2).jpg
458 KB, 1967x1859
>be me, 6'0 170lb mr. skeletal
>lift for a couple months
>5x85 BP -> 3x225
>Other lifts similar progress
>"Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym"
>All that vascularity and still no washboard
>>
yeah, I think you just have shit ab genetics
>>
>>36234277

Your abs aren't going to show if you don't do anything for them.
>>
File: 1445280168400.png (87 KB, 321x308) Image search: [Google]
1445280168400.png
87 KB, 321x308
That's just a hyperbole to get the point across to fat normies that they wont get abs doing 300 crunches a day.
>>
You fell for the meme. I can't believe you actually listen to any advice that people give here. Do not listen.
Also, if that's you in pic you need to fucking eat man that's not attractive.
>>
Weighted ab exercises
>>
>>36234277
you do not lift heavy enough for abs to show without accessory work.

just train them a bit and they will show, you are lean.
>>
>>36234294

yeah they are. I have higher bf than OP, never do anything for abs specifically, and have more visible abs. lots of people have abs just by getting low bf.
>>
Abs are 90% kitchen 10% lifting, whereas other muscles are 50/50.

People just mistake that for 100% kitchen 0% lifting. Just throw in some leg raises between sets of cable crossovers and buy an ab wheel / do planks at home.
>>
>>36234319
>you do not lift heavy enough for abs to show without accessory work.

he benches 225 and says his other lifts are similar. also he says his bench is up 100+ pounds from where he started. you really think lifting more weight could be the difference for him?
>>
Pot belly, don't do ab work all deads squats etc, wisible washboard upper abs with lower pot belly, not one size fits all.
>>

They are made visible in the kitchen, not in the gym.

If you have enough muscle in your core and low bodyfat, you'll have visible abs.

You have one of those things.
>>
>>36234377
well i am 6 months into roids and i lift double what i used to, i looked a bit like him but better when i started.

you better believe going over 400 in squat gives you abs.
>>
>>36234277
looks like the problem is that your posing is shit to be honest. don't suck in your stomach. that's not flexing your abs, that's sucking in your stomach. which is why you look like some idiot sucking in your stomach. you're doing a half-assed stomach vacuum and stomach vacuums are meant to make your upper body look huge, not show off your abs.

extend your torso upwards, then imagine a piece of string connecting the bottom of your rectus abdominis to the top. then use your abs to pull the two ends of the string together. if you're not seeing them after that then cry about it and do more core work, because despite the fact they have the least ability for hypertrophy of any muscle in your body, you still need to put some work into them.
>>
>>36234277
how much do you squat and deadlift? having a strong bench wont do shit for your abs

i never do ab shit and i still have abs from heavy ohp, squats, front squats,etc.
>>
>>36234531
another way to do it is to actually push your stomach out and then tense your abs. now you'll look like a fat guy with abs. brilliant!
>>
>>36234277

you arent actually low bodyfat

you are flexing with a pump. I see love handles, that isnt low bodyfat.
>>
>>36234594
Those are obliques.
>>
>>36234277
shave those pubes between your pecs pls
>>
>>36234620

he still isnt that cut

abs without flexing is around 10% ish, he isnt fat but he can still lose bodyfat

in any case im thinking the problem is his actual lack of a core. people say isolations is a meme, but abs are a muscle like any other.
>>
>>36234277
You're for real not that mean you don't hold fat in your upper body as much and you have a pump. You still have a lot belly and from the side bet your stomach is coming out more than your chest just give it time man they're there
>>
>>36234277
This is what happens when you never push press, goddamnit
>>
Because your abs are small. Your abs need hypertrophy just like anything else. If you never work then while on a surplus, they'll never get bigger and will remain small and weak.
Bigger abs means visible abs at a higher bodyfat. You have no muscle. There's no point in cutting if you have nothing to cut to, idiot.
>>
>>36234277
bro u need to cut and do abs like 15 minutes a day fucking pussy, u dont want it bad enough
>>
>>36234277
>low bf
15%+
>vascularity
more like some kind of medical condition
>>
>>36234277
Op I'm in a similar boat but then I started doing a lot of ab work and now I have abs. I used to do decline sit ups but now I do cable crunches. I just add them to the end of my regular workout.
>>
>>36234277
You don't squat or deadlift or ohp.

I can tell by how weak your core is.

You just do Bench and Curls and some other isolations on machines.

Can't fool me.
>>
Is it just me or does his body look a bit comical? Its like hes wearing a muscle suit but instead of a full body one its a crop top. As if someone put everything attached to the rib-cage on the body of mr skeletal.

How can your core be THAT weak? How do you take a shit?
>>
>>36236068
this...the big 4, ESPECIALLY front squats, ohp and dl will give a tree trunk core if you actually do them regularly. there's no way you won't have abs when you're lean after do those for a year+.

maybe you want have super shredded/detailed abs if you dont do isolations but they really arent that important desu
>>
>>36234347
No. They're not.

>abs are made in the kitchen
>implying a muscle can pop without working it

Might as well not bench if your chest will simply pop by not eating. Unless you think that abs are magical and some sort of exception?

The reason your abs are showing is firstly because of genetics, and secondly because core is involved in all compound exercises, all cardio, and dozens of isolation exercises. If you've ever done any of these in your life you have worked abs which is contributing to how they look on you now. OP obviously just does the gym rat exercises of bench, curl, selfie, repeat.

>going to the gym
>not knowing about the exercises you're doing
>>
>>36236068
this guy knows whats up
>>
>>36234315

>dont listen to any advice on /fit/
>gives advice
>>
>>36234277
I was just wondering guys, I'm 3 weeks into SL.
Do the compound lifts work the abs enough?
I've been doing abs on the side because I would like to have a semblance of a 6pack when summer comes and I really enjoy doing them and how they make me feel so I'd do them either way
>>
>>36234277
>literally no delts
>narrow weak looking core

Starting doing OHP, Squats and Deadlifts. Then come back on here. Faggot.
>>
>>36238696
not him, I just have a question
How much of a disadvantage do I have doing the OHP while seated?
I would do it standing but my gym is pretty shitty and has no racks and they dont let us do it for fear of accidents as well as the squats, can only do them in the smith machine.
know that my goal is aethetics as well as strength, I dont want to become a huge lifter
>>
>>36238703
>How much of a disadvantage do I have doing the OHP while seated?

Huge disadvantage.

My core is way over fucking developed because my OHP is my best lift. I don't even do any ab isolation.

The seat will absorb the load instead of your core. As will any other seated exercise. Hence why it's always 100% better to do lifts standing, not on a machine or seated.

If you want, you can still do SEATED, but just do them AFTER you do OHP standing. Main sets = Standing OHP, your "bro" sets you can do seated. But don't do all ur OHP sets seated as your core will not develop.
>>
>>36238725
as I said doing them standing is not an option. I know my gym is shit, but it's cheap.
What additional exercises can I do to strengthen my core instead?
You should know that my goal physique is not the big buff one you see usually here, nothing wrong with it, I just would prefer something more slender (with me being 185cm tall), not ottermode, but that style plus some more muscles on. I dont know if I can explain it well
>>
>>36238747
Ok then, here's 4, in order of importance

-Squats, specifically front squats, back squats are fine though.
-Deadlifts, literally any variation of a deadlift.
-Chinups
-Shrugs, nobody really knows this but both these exercise require a strong core and your core will hypertrophy as you get stronger at these exercises.

All of the above must be done with free weights, not cable machines (so no pulldowns, learn to chin-up) or anything that has you locked into a set path.
>>
>>36234277

pretty sure I can pinch a good amount of fat there.

who gives a shit if you have lean arms/upper body/whatever, the pot belly is where your last remnants of fat stay.
>>
>>36234277
Times OP deadlifted in his life: 0
>>
>i dont work abs
>why are my abs shit
Let me get this sent off to the lab for study
>>
>>36238780
ok,
-I'm already doing squats, but in the smith machine since there is not rack and all that stuff I said...but it's ok, legs are not of huge importance for me, I work on them but I can lose some gain.
-doing deadlifts in SL
-I'm doing chinups currently as an extra exercise in SL, right now I cant do them on my own so I do the assisted ones, -10kg last time.
-they work the trapezius right? I'm a bit wary about that since my upper (and lower) back is a mess
>>
>>36238816
> doing squats, but in the smith machine

yeah, that's not gonna help your core since you won't be stabilizing anything
>>
File: thanks.jpg (7 KB, 196x258) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
7 KB, 196x258
>>36234294
B-but the fit meem. Abes are made in the kitchen r-right?
>>
>>36238816
>-I'm already doing squats, but in the smith machine
And you wonder why you have a weak core?
>>
>>36234277
are you stupid? like any other muscle it has to be trained you dumb fuck
>>
>>36238816
Find a better gym or buy a power rack, barbell and a set of plates for home
>>
>>36238844
I didnt say I have a weak core, I'm not OP
>>36238830
yeah I know, it sucks, nothing I can do about it. I'll do some additionals
>>36238855
that's not an option, I dont have the money or space for that
>>
>>36234277
This is bullshit, you still have to work them dumbass. Just because a person lowers their body fat and has visible abs doesn't mean their good ones, they're just weak shit abs you can see. Abs like that give shit support and, especially in situation where they're hit; like in a fight , don't protect anything well. punch someone with abs that are just their and the'll bowl over. Do some sit ups, legraises and crunches once in a while.
t. a Karateka who also does a shitton of bodyweight
>>
File: Mark Rippetoe21.jpg (100 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
Mark Rippetoe21.jpg
100 KB, 600x480
>>36238896
>crunches
>>
>>36238896
>situps and crunches
please don't
Leg raises are ok, but planks, ab rollouts and L-sits are GOAT (even Rippletits recommends the latter)
>>
>>36234277
Your bf% really isnt that low

Maybe 15
>>
>falling for /fit/'s shitty meme advice
>>
>a-abs are made in th-the kitchen!
Nope, nope nope. Wrong, wrong wrong. To be fair, you guys have one thing right - they aren't made in the gym either.

THEY'RE MADE IN THE WOMB.

OP, this is an example of what I'm always saying. It's GENETICS that matter. You don't have good AB GENETICS. Fortunately, you have great genetics for vascularity, and a 3x225lbs bench is damn good for a couple of months. But in terms of abs, sorry, you just don't have the GENETICS. No amount of lifting will fix it.

Don't despair though, cause you still look really good, but yeah, you'll never have 6 pack abs,
>>
>>36234277
Do you squat? do you DL? Why not throw in a few ab isolation exercises anyway? Abs are MAINLY made in the kitchen, as they are a muscle which is not inclined to hypertrophy nearly as well as other muscle groups. That's not to say they don't hypertrophy, of course they do. Do your compound lifts and eat clean and by science, they will be there.
>>
File: W1RqoBn.jpg (31 KB, 475x360) Image search: [Google]
W1RqoBn.jpg
31 KB, 475x360
>mfw been doing abs for 2 weeks and can already see them under that bit of fat
cant wait to cut
>>
File: Boyaaaahhcoooee.jpg (96 KB, 420x845) Image search: [Google]
Boyaaaahhcoooee.jpg
96 KB, 420x845
You might have shit genetics for abs, some people genuinely do not have abs. For a reference, look at people who have 4 pack instead of 6 (like Arnold) or people who don't have a distinguished ab-look whatsoever, despite being h00g3 and lean (Boyer Coe).

It could also be that you are storing a lot more fat in and around your belly than you are on other places on your body. Resulting in a very lean look on (e.g) your arms, but not on your abs.

Could be that you've been neglecting ab training (classic BBing stuff like decline crunches and whatever are perfectly safe and wont fuck up your spine, I promise).

Obviously it could be a combination of these things. I.e, shit genetics for abs, suck-y place to store fat in terms of abz and generally not isolating your abs.

I've seen some retards saying you should do shrugs for ab development, which might be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. This is quite literally like saying you'll develop massive biceps from deadlifts.
Does the biceps activate when you deadlift? Yes. Does that imply it's a good mass builder for biceps? No.

VERY heavy shrugs will most deffo activate your abs, but that doesn't mean they are a good ab builder. Jesus fucking christ people.
>>
>>36238950
I just came here to say this man is incorrect.
blaming genetics is the same as giving up which is what this faglord is doing....this faggot and fatties, don't be like them OP

OP, low bf% is one thing, working out abs is another. Do both
>>
>>36238986
>which might be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while
Have you never done shrugs with way over your deadlift 1rm? It was a stupid comment for developing abs but heavy shrugs are more like rack pulls than anything else
>>
File: ilya.jpg (93 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
ilya.jpg
93 KB, 640x640
>>36239020
>... heavy shrugs are more like rack pulls than anything else

No, heavy shrugs are like heavy shrugs and rack pulls are like rack pulls.
I'll try and explain this in dumb-dumb language.

In the picture Ilya is holding more than your DL max above his head while looking like he just farted.
To not crumble and die under so much weight, he needs (among other things) very strong abs. However, this does not imply that Jerks are the the best (or even a good) exercise for developing your abs.

>It was a stupid comment for developing abs

Yes. Yes it was.
>>
>>36234277
and i never do ab work, only squats/ dl yet i have some ab definition (at least from a dyel perspective)

my bf isn't even low
i'm literally eating a mc double right now
>>
>>36234277
>striated shoulders
>no abs
How
>>
>>36239051
Here is Jamie lewis doing shrugs with more than your total at 5'6 and iirc around 165lbs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1unZ44ELk
This will work the abs hard.
>>
>>36238688

good for you

a few leg raises or crunches between major lifts never hurt anyone
>>
>>36239081
You only get pump to the parts youve worked out.
>>
>been doing scooby's rotisseries for the past month
>4 pack is now poking through

5'10 170 for now.
>>
>>36239099
Something that requires strong abs in order to do is not necessarily the same as "this is how you build strong abs".
>>
>>36236068

This op
>>
>>36239193
cont.

If your entire core/trunk starts crumbling and you round over excessively during a deadlift this might indicate a weak core/spinal erectors.
Whilst simply "do more deadlifts brah" might work, this is not necessarily the smartest way to go about fixing the issue.

Note that I am not saying you should stop deadlifting, I am simply saying that hyperextensions and ab work outside of your regular deadlift training is probably very better than just "more deadlifts bruh".

People who (sucessfully) just do deadlifts, squats, OHP and Bench are the exceptions, not the rule
>>
>>36235334
This.
My sister has visible abs and she only does planks for five minutes a day.
>>
File: 2016-02-14 22.03.41.jpg (262 KB, 518x807) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-14 22.03.41.jpg
262 KB, 518x807
>>36234442
I squat 465.. abs are hardly noticeable
>>
>>36234277
OP your pic looks so much like me it's disturbing. I have the same problem too.
>>
>>36239252
Probably because you need to cut.
>>
>>36238921
>>36238939
>situps and crunches
>falling for the meme
There's nothing wrong with them.
>>
>>36234277
Does your dick hang below your balls?
>>
>>36239252
Do you have a peg leg?
>>
File: Snapchat-4418476003241760612.jpg (941 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4418476003241760612.jpg
941 KB, 1440x2560
>>36239489
Just noticed that lol my legs aren't that big really
>>
OP here, for those confused, my routine is:
A) Push day
Flat BB Bench 15, 12, 10, 8, 8
Incline BB Bench 15, 10, 10
Incline DB Flies 10, 10 ,10
Dips 10, 10, 10
Skullcrushers 15, 12, 10

B) Pull Day
Lat Pulldowns 15, 12, 10, 8, 8
Superset with
Seated Row 15, 12, 10, 8, 8
Underhand Pulldowns 10, 10, 10
Dumbbell Rows 15, 12, 10
Some Bullshit Broscience Curl Thing (8x3)x3

C) Legs
Squats 5x5
DL with absolute pleb weight twice before the lmao2pl8 embarrassment sets in
Leg Press 5x5
Calf Raises to Failure

C 2.0) Bros Don't Let Bros Skip Leg Day
OHP 3x5
Front & Lateral Delt Raises & more Dumbbell Rows 3x10
"Club Set Row & Press" 12, 12, 10, 8, 8

Used to be A B C A B C A B C indefinitely, now it's more like A B C2.0 A B C2.0 A B C A B C2.0
>>
OP Pt. 2

Basically, suck it up and make deadlift gainz, and do more ab work?
>>
>>36234277
that hair is fucking disgusting what the fuck is wrong with you ugh
>>
>>36234277
LMAO 0 ABS!!! 0 ABS!!!
>>
>>36238703
>I dont want to become a huge lifter
haha
>>
>>36234277
You just happen to carry most your fat in the stomach area.

It's the last stubborn bit to go.
>>
>>36239252
Probably because you're about 20% bf
>>
>>36234277
Is nobody pointing the fact that op is saying he benches 225 with a chest like that?
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.