[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General Medicine medfag here. I've taken the day off so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: m8-67_a3t_xfZynr_PjP0Yw.jpg (3 KB, 150x225) Image search: [Google]
m8-67_a3t_xfZynr_PjP0Yw.jpg
3 KB, 150x225
General Medicine medfag here. I've taken the day off so I can go to the gym this afternoon and I'm bored.

Happy to answer medical questions for the next few hours. Not giving out medical advice but I can point you in the right direction or answer simple stuff.
>>
Nice

How long do you have to wait after food until you can work out? Let's say a light - medium meal
>>
>>36205889

Let's say I get 6 hours of sleep instead of 8 hours of sleep after a sick gainz-session in the gym.

How much will this effect my gains?
>>
>>36205889
I hurt my knee doing squats and I think its quadricep tendinitis based on internet self-doctoring. Its been two and a half weeks now and I have yet to go see the doctor because its getting better... slowly. I haven't been lifting and I've been icing and using a knee brace since I injured it. Its a sharp pain just above the kneecap btw. What do. When will it be fully healed? Should I go to the doctor if its already somewhat healed but not completely?
>>
>>36205889
I have 3 lumps all over my body, One in my neck it's the size of a pea, the other one in my armpit and one in my groin, they're all on my left side, strangely i dont have any on teh right side, wtf is dis?
>>
Can my gp recommend some sort of therapy for my alcoholism that isn't a.a.? Would insurance cover it?
>>
>>36206397
Not the doc but those sound like lymph node locations. Are you sick?
>>
>>36206428
Not really, i rarely get colds, i've had thoose lumps for a while
>>
>>36206229

There's no hard and fast rule but I generally say 30-45 mins.
>>
>>36206282

Not at all in the short-term. Recent studies suggest the sweet spot is between 7-9 hours -anything less than 7 is associated with poorer health outcomes.
>>
>>36206372

Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Take a few extra days or you'll risk aggravating it further. If it's hurting I'd try an NSAID gel from the pharmacy.
>>
>>36205889

I'm scheduled for an MRI tomorrow cause my knee got fucked up. Doc thinks its either loose cartilage or a torn meniscus and Baker's cyst. How fucked am I in either case?
How long before I can run/lift again?
>>
>>36206397

These may be idiopathically enlarged lymph nodes or something more sinister. I would talk to your family medicine doctor to investigate it further.

What are the lumps like? Are they tender? Do they move? What do they feel like consistency-wise? Do you get night sweats? Have you lost any weight recently? How long have you had them?
>>
>>36206407

Talk to your GP about the problem and ask about an alcohol action plan. There are plenty of non-AA organizations. Depending on your level of alcohol-dependence you may need be treated with thiamine replacement. Because of the risk of withdrawal seizures they could also recommend a benzodiazepine or acamprosate to help taper you off. If you go and talk about an action plan though they will know you are serious and do what they can
>>
>>36206559
I can move them a bit, they're hard, and not painful, i've had them for a while, and yes i have been skinny all my life so i havent lost or gained any
>>
>>36206555

What exactly did you do to the knee?

Did you have a scope before the MRI?
>>
>>36206577

Describe the consistency for me, are they rubbery?
>>
>>36206595
yes sorry
>>
>>36206586
I don't know, the doc said it was from running but I hadn't run a week prior to when the knee pain started because my hip had been acting weird. No scope just the doctor poking my knee asking if it hurt.
>>
>>36206613

Make an appointment with your GP to have them checked out. There's a few nasty things they could be and it's better to be safe than sorry. The sooner the better.
>>
>>36206613
See a doctor, get them shits biopsied
>>
>>36206625

How old are you? Helps to narrow it down a bit
>>
>>36205889
Let's say an 8 year old get's infected with HIV, would he notice it after 10 years?
>>
>>36206644
>>36206635
thanks pham
>>
>>36205889
Starting med school this fall, will I still have time to lift?
>>
>>36206648

21, female, started getting fit about a year ago
always had shitty ankles but never knee or hip problems.
>>
>>36206657

It would become apparently in that 10 years.

That being said, I'm always very open with people when it comes to the possibility of transmissible infection. If you feel the need to ask me that question because you feel you might have been exposed then you should get tested. Not because I necessarily think the test is warranted but because it is the only thing that will give you peace of mind.
>>
>>36206687

Nice. Whereabouts are you studying? The course load really depends on where you go but yes, you will definitely have time. Always make time for the important things.
>>
>>36206692

There are a few things that can cause this. The reason I asked about age is that there's a few conditions that are more common in teenagers (in this case I was considering osgood schlatter).

To answer the original question

At you're likely to recover from it pretty quickly. The good thing about knees is they are relatively easy to fix.

Discuss what you want to be able to do with it with the doctor tho, they need pointers =)
>>
I'm cuttingand my diet thosnt allow salt and i will be taking MDMA at a rave in a couple of days will I die because of the lack of salt
>>
>>36206716
Touro University in NorCal
>>
>>36205889
My heart started racing after smoking a cigarette and walking for about 15 minutes, I've had thoose episodes a few times before, first one was in 2012, i have 2 or 3 of them each year and they last usually from 2 to 20 minutes, it wasnt your average "fast" but really really fast and hard, i think it was up to 200bpm, i also have a chest deformity, Pectus excavatum, do you think it's related?
>>
>>36206739
Thanks yo, will do. The doctor I had was really vague about everything I asked and here I just wanted to know if I would be able to run again lol
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.