[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could a woman who never works out (but isn't fat and does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
File: download (1).jpg (10 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10 KB, 259x195
Could a woman who never works out (but isn't fat and does eat well) run 5K?
>>
I've made a few of my gfs run with me, all of them were normal weight and seemed alright in shape but didn't actively work out and none of them could even come close.

I'd go with no, I'd give a woman who doesn't work out at all about 1-2k before they're panting and then hurting for like 3 days.
>>
>>36162792
So if a woman's been trying to get into shape and works up to doing a 5K run, should she be proud or is it not really that big an achievement?
>>
>>36162919
Not a huge achievement at all, it's the lowest hanging fruit of cardio events. Doesn't mean it's bad to do or that you can't run an impressive time, but just doing it isn't impressive. See if you can run it under 18 min, that'd be pretty good and worth being pound of.
>>
>>36162919
You can be proud in private about it. That's how I do it. I don't compare myself to Coleman or Klokov or other people, I compare me to myself: So I am happy if I have a very good form, or can put more weights on my barbell. Steps taken into the right direction, you know? So, my numbers are still in DYEL-zone. My friends know about my lifting, but I don't flaunt like "OMG what a good day my DL is at 100kgx5, high five man!". Running or lifting should be fun on it's own, or to reach a certain athletic goal, but not about boasting. Running 5k is per se not a big achievment, humans are built for that, but it can be a big achievement for you. So take pride in your victory of reaching 5k, but know, it's nothing special. But it can be special for you.
>>
>>36162919
it's a personal achievement and you should always be proud of those.

Just because 5k isn't much for experienced runners, doesn't mean she didn't have to work for it.
It's something she couldn't do a while ago and can do now, she has every reason to feel proud.
>>
>>36162919
she should be proud, but not boast and put it on facebook etc. A year ago i couldn't do a 5k, now I do 10ks 2 to 3 times a week. working towards a half marathon, and then half iron man.

I feel good about myself.. not sure if pride is the right word though. I mean the body was designed to run around.. i'm doing what is natural.

>>36163024
if you have a good time, that is something to be proud of. I guess for pride.. if you can do something 90% of the world can't.. you should be proud of it.
>>
>>36162919
Just be proud, fuck what everyone else thinks. There's always someone who's much better than you. You set yourself a goal and you reached it. That's all that matters and that's something to be proud of, no matter what the absolute value of it is. I'm completely DYEL by /fit/'s standards, but I work out very regularly, watch what I eat, I look good, feel good, have a lovely gf and that's all that matters to me. Fuck /fit/'s deluded standards. I still remember that fat kid who struggled through PE classes, who has always been the worst at everything. I remember how hard it was to pull myself together and become who I am now. I don't need the validation of some people on the internet to be proud. And you don't either.
>>
>>36162749
Depends on her cardiovascular health. If she's completely untrained probably not. Or if she did it it would fucking wreck her. Wouldn't do it in a good time either.
>>
>>36162919
You can take pride in it, it's an achievement. Fact is most people never come close to running 5k these days.

But it's not something to brag about to other people desu.
>>
Yes, yes she could.
Would probably start bitching and quit at around 2K but hey if she really needed/ wanted to she could. so this>>36163589
>>
>>36163601
>>36163601
So what does that make me? I've ran multiple half marathons and did a super relay (The Bourbon Chase- team runs ~200 miles through the Kentucky hills going through all the major bourbon distilleries in under 24 hours each member running 3 legs of roughly 8 miles each).
>>
File: 20195.jpg (70 KB, 416x600) Image search: [Google]
20195.jpg
70 KB, 416x600
>>36163829

It makes you someone who can run a half marathon.
>>
>>36163093
This is definitely the healthiest way to think about it.
>>
>>36163024
a woman under 24min in a 5k run would already be far above average.
>>
>>36163829
It makes you a faggot bragging on 4chan about your running
>>
>>36163093
I was proud when I ran 5k for the first time, and 10k for the first time a month later. I even put it on Facebook because fuck it. I was fat for 30 years, and I have friends who remember when the gym teacher bullied me in middle school and I sat in the locker room crying because I couldn't run a mile.
>>
>>36162749
Yeah easily... that's only a few miles.
>>
>>36162749
Pulling out a 5km first try without any training ?
Nope.
>>
>>36162749
oh shit i love that painting, it's my fave!
>>
>>36162919
Be proud of your own progress. Always.
>>
>>36162749
no

running 5K isn't as easy as people think

>>36163024
>See if you can run it under 18 min
the world record for the woman's 5K is 14:11, the average time a woman takes is over 30 mins in casual contests
>>
>>36162749
Yes but it will probably take you like 45 min or an hour. Any normal person can run 5k and that's not impressive. What's impressive is running it in 25 minutes
>>
>>36165767

>running 5K isn't as easy as people think

They could finish it, but the time would be pathetic.
>>
>>36162749
Depends on the person, any person with any sort of determination could do a fucking 10km. I knew a guy in high school that didn't work out a single time over a summer.

The fucker showed up for our school's terry fox run. (The school had different houses or whatever, and the person that ran the most, won the most points).

He ran 10km, albeit slowly, and then decided he would keep going for the glory of red house. He did 20km, everyone was done at this point. We all got in a buddy's car, and made sure he went to the end.

He did 30km in the end. He was dehydrated as fuck, and his blood sugar was really low, but the bastard did it.
>>
>>36164498
good for you m8 seriously

women who never works out probably couldn't do it, not at a respectable pace anyway (<25 min). 20 min is a milestone for runners, 21 min is a decent level of cardiovascular fitness.
>>
>>36162749
I'm a man, I work out, am lean and I couldn't run 5k. It's stupid do assume someone who doesn't do something will be good at it first time he tried.
>>
"Running" a 5k is easy peasy. Pretty much anyone who's not a lardass or a cripple could do it no problem.

Running a 5k under 30 minutes for women or 25 for men is probably the bar line for someone who's actually fit.

Under 25 for women and 20 for men is actually respectable.
>>
>>36163829
that makes you a skeleton and possibly pretentious vegan faggot
>>
File: 30 11 2014.jpg (580 KB, 800x1153) Image search: [Google]
30 11 2014.jpg
580 KB, 800x1153
>>36166833
This is me and I would barely be able to run 1k. Am not a cripple either.
>>
>>36166833
that's too big of a discrepancy between men and women desu

>>36166882
that's embarrassing
>>
>>36166916
It is, but don't assume that someone who doesn't run will be able to run 5k.
>>
>>36166916

I was assuming average height. A taller woman will be able to run faster and a shorter man not as fast.
>>
>>36166945
>don't assume that someone who doesn't run will be able to run 5k.
i wasn't dumbass
>>
>>36166882

Either you're lying about your ability or lying about being a cripple

Or you've just literally have not done any running in years.

You do realize 1 km is barely over half a mile, right?
>>
>>36166964

>Pretty much anyone who's not a lardass or a cripple could do it no problem.
Yes you were, faggot. And if it wasn't your post, why are you responding to me? Fuck off.
>>
>>36167017
because it's embarrassing that you can't run 1k lol
y do you heff to be so mad
>>
>>36166980
It's almost a mile. 83% to be exact. I'm not lying. I don't do cardio, because it's not my jam.
>>
>>36167077

One kilometer is .62 miles and well within the capacities of anyone who is not physically disabled or incredibly overweight
>>
>>36162749
I ran a 5K first time in the gym for fun.
It's really really easy if you're not fat.
Didn't do any lifting or cardio before that.
>>
>>36166772
If I go until I vomit I can probably make 5k in 25 minutes, though I only started running last November when I ran a mile for the first time in my life. I would certainly need to train to do any better than that.
>>
>>36162919
My 68 year old grandma does 5k and she never runs, just does general exercise classes. So in terms of an actual athletic accomplishment, it's not a big one. That said, 2/3 of America is overweight or obese so at least you're better than those fucks.

5k is a fun distance though. Run for fun or for health. But if your goal is to impress people, 5k is not a something to brag about. For some perspective I run 15k every other day just for fun.
>>
>>36167154
if you care to get better at running, run slow miles and lots of them. mileage gets you fit much more quickly than speed work when you're starting out
>>
>>36167113
Ah yeah, you're right. I thought 1 mile was 1.2 km.
>>
>>36167113
Maybe YOU, faggotini! Maybe you can just flap your wings and FLYYYYYY the whole goddam way you fagoo!!
>>
>>36162749

No.

I'm "in shape", but I went like 3 years without any cardio at one point in my life.

When I went back to running I could barely do a mile without stopping to walk.
>>
>>36167187
Legit tip, thanks senpai.
>>
>>36167250
This guy gets it. All the pretentious cardio fags can fuck off. We all know you make no gains.
>>
>5k is 3.1 miles

No, OP. Probably not. I can't run that straight and I work out often (hiking, cycling, and bodyweights/yoga because fuck /fit/.) I have to alternate jogging and walking at any distance more than a mile.

Running is bullshit anyway. If you want knee-friendly cardio, just cycle. You can easily cycle 20 miles without a problem, although it depends what kind of bike you have.
>>
First time I got a a girl to run with me (her first time) she ran for 300 metres and the stopped. It took her 50 minutes to complete 3.8 km.

Average pace was 10 min/km

That's my walking pace ffs
>>
>>36167887
If you can't even run 5 km straight, you are not even close to fit. The problem is not running, the problem is that you are simply unfit.
>>
>>36166252
whole 5k running?

someone who doesn't train at al?

No fucking way. At some point they will stop and walk.

I had pretty good cardio when I started running from 6 months of elliptical and stationary bikes and I could only manage 3.5 km first time without stop.
>>
File: 4 laugh.png (163 KB, 566x227) Image search: [Google]
4 laugh.png
163 KB, 566x227
>>36163829
>I've ran multiple half marathons
>relay
>8 miles each
Oh god, let me laugh some more.
>>
>>36169067
I never ran, my entire youth, I was fucking pathetic. All I ever did that was fitness related was biking to work and back for 8 months (ten minutes or something). A while after that my gf went on my first actual run with me. I managed 7 km without stopping. It was agony, but it worked. I just didn't want to embarrass myself in front of my gf.

Running is more about developing willpower than about actual fitness (unless you are fat or something of course). The problem is that people think being out of breath and having heavy legs is somehow the end of your cardio. It's not. Keep on running, slow it down, but fucking run. That's all there is to it.
>>
File: 1409448771234.jpg (30 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1409448771234.jpg
30 KB, 645x773
>>36169128
I didn't have a girlfriend at that time so no 7km for me
>>
>>36162749

Literally anyone can complete a 5k with no training. They may be sore as fuck the next day. It may be a huge effort both mentally and physically. But anyone can do it.
>>
>>36169277
except most people on /fit/

Cardio is their fobia
>>
Since this is fit, I was more proud first time benching 3pl8 than 4pl8.
>>
>>36163829
This. They literally think running even 3 miles a week will lose them to lose all of their gains whereas the research say exactly that much once per week will increase them.
>>
>>36169277

With an experienced running partner, i'm up to about 4 to 5 miles after 2 weeks (with a break of about 2 minutes walking halfway through) but without the partner pushing and encouraging me I'd never make even 5 kilometres i think. Get a running partner is what i mean to say, i guess.

DOMS was unreal for the first week and it's gone after the second, we did a small hour ish hike to finish the week and my legs are perfect the next day
>>
>>36169328
Sorry, didn't erase all my previous post. Meant to reply to >>36169284
>>
>>36165767
>running 5K isn't as easy as people think

You're right, it's easier. Thinking that it's harder than it is (spoiler) is a huge part of the problem. They give out medals at some races just for finishing! Of course that jacks up the price of the event because you have to make more than you'll need. Then slow runners get pissy that the winners earn prize money that costs a fraction of what those medals cost the race, and never mind the time and a half the police shutting down roads get paid for those extra hours the slower folks are out there...
>>
>>36166882

You're mentally weak if you can't run a 5k. That's all there is to it. Just because you don't want to doesn't mean you can't.
>>
>>36166961

Except the world record in every event from the mile on up is held by someone 5'8 or shorter. Australian Craig Mottram earned the nickname Biga Mzungu from the Africans. It translates in Swahili as "white giant." He is 6'1.
>>
>>36169328
All trolling aside, you see scooby riding his bike to supplement leg day.
If you actually are working out to get strong you need just a lil cardio so when that guy slaps your girl's ass you can knock him the fuck out without losing your breath and resorting to drowning him with your blood.
What is all the muscle for if you can utilize literally none of it?
>>
>>36163093
This.

Celebration is a private matter, at most something mentioned to extremely close friends.
>>
OP here, thanks for the encouragement.
I'm not a social networker desu, public gloating isn't my style- but I'm gonna go ahead and feel quietly chuffed at my small achievement!
>>
>>36169128
>Running is more about developing willpower than about actual fitness
this is fucking wrong lol
>>36169128
>Keep on running, slow it down, but fucking run. That's all there is to it.
this is right

>>36169476
>quietly chuffed
kek
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.