[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beer during bulking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2
File: Beer.jpg (97 KB, 766x800) Image search: [Google]
Beer.jpg
97 KB, 766x800
Hey /fit/, Im stuck on this. Is beer good for bulking, or will it just make me fat? is it ok as long as i make sure it fits in my carb marcos?
>>
Beer is bread in a bottle. One of the least nutritious foods out there. And basically catabolic.
>>
>>36115129
>is beer good for bulking
>good for bulking
>bulking

well sure, I wouldn't drink more than one day a week because it'll start to drag on your gains but if you're not on a cut wtf do you care about your ability to see the individual striations of ye olde abdominal wall?
>>
>>36115129
Alcohol is catabolic
>>
>>36115149
>bread in a bottle

It's much, much worse than bread.
Alcohol is the worst thing you can consume (except poison and hard drugs) and beer is the worst type of alcohol.

OP you're a grown man and can do what you want, but beer and lifting don't mix like 2 dicks and no chicks
>>
Beer is that harmful?
>>
>>36115195
> like 2 dicks and no chicks

That's a terrible analogy.

So what's a catabolic? Why beer is so terrible other than the carbs and calories in it?
>>
>>36115129
sumo wrestlers drink a glass of pretty low alcohol beer with their big meal before sleeping, so I guess it's acceptable
>>
>>36115215
Well, it's more like alcohol in general.

All BBers I know don't drink, or at least the serious ones don't.

That being sad, pleeeeenty of pro athletes get drizzy on a weekly basis and do juuust fine. I'd say make sure you're never consuming alcohol on more than one day in any given seven day span, but that's just general advice. Depending on your fitness goals, you may need to scale that back (or not worry about it all if you don't compete in shit)
>>
>>36115261
Bro science time. From what ive heard, your body treats ethanol as a poison and will try to metabolize it first. Its not just the carbs ,but the ethanol thats the problem as well. It gets stored as fat really quickly before u can use the energy. Very brosciency but the moral of the story, beer is empty calories. I drink all the time and dont care though. If i have extra cals in the day and want to drink, i will. I dont think its the holocaust.
>>
>>36115299
>I dont think its the holocaust.
Imaginary bear?
>>
>>36115261
Anabolism is an ectothermic metabolic state, which is good - you're body functions best when its producing heat (specifically 98.6 farenheit's worth).

Catabolism is an endothermic metabolic state, meaning it's losing heat. Your body, being a sack of heat-dependent chemicals (read: enzymes) does not produce nor maintain muscle well when it's sum chemical status is one which is leeching heat.

For muscle building, you generally want to avoid catabolism, and encourage anabolism.

See also: anabolic steroids (or don't if you want to age gracefully). You get my point though
>>
>>36115363
Whoops, switch those: ectotherms are cold-blooded, endotherms are warm. The rest should still stick though
>>
>>36115299
I'm a medfag. It's not broscience. You just explained it poorly

If you want more info just do a bit of reaserch on Beta-Oxydation of fatty acids, the conversion of NAD into NADH inside the liver and how steathosis works
>>
>>36115129
Just drink pure vodka right from the bottle, its far healthier.
>>
I just drank half a bottle of beer, about 200ml, 4,6% so less than 10ml of alcohol.

That's like nothing right? I just had an awesome workout, hope it won't affect the gains.
>>
>>36115640
It will. Any alcohol - espesh on the same day of working out - will have *some* negative impact. The only question is whether the impact is significant or not, and the answer to that is a function of your goals.

Are you about to slather yourself up in tanner and snap on a banana-hammock to pose at a competition tomorrow? Oh, no?

Then you'll probably be fine. But in general, limit, if not completely abstain from, alcohol if your intention is to 100% maximize athletic performance. Alcohol is in no way shape or form a performance enhancing drug
>>
alcohol in amounts that are considered fun is poisonous. Get toasted once a month, get it otu of your system and enjoy some social gainz, then be done with it.
>>
File: Herman-Goerner.jpg (24 KB, 448x308) Image search: [Google]
Herman-Goerner.jpg
24 KB, 448x308
>>36115195
>beer and lifting don't mix

Daily reminder that this man had a pub attached to his gym and got piss-drunk off good German beer after everyworkout while maintaining a 700lb one-armed deadlift.

Please post a video of you deadlifting over 700lbs so you can rek all these alcoholics.

I mean, you DO have a video of you deadlifting over 700lbs, right?
>>
>>36115195
That's a pretty big reference for such a small post
>>
>>36115974
>ignores all known medical science
>think outlier case (who may have even been on a primitive form of gear, germany was the pharmaceutical capital of the world back then) constitutes general advice to the contrary
how about you post your video of 700lb deadlift?

I mean, you DO have a video of you deadlifting over 700lbs, right?
>>
>>36115664

Alcohol is a performance enhancing drug in marksmanship based sports, faggot
>>
>>36116042
Do you have any citations for that? Genuinely interested, I need to show some faggots on /out/ that liquor and guns are a winning combination
>>
>>36116061
Google "Alcohol is a performance enhancing drug in marksmanship based sports".
>>
>>36116027
>thinks he knows about all medical science

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9446843

>most medical science points to moderate/small amounts of alcohol a day, i.e. a single beer, having almost no impact if none at all
>>
>>36116061
http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/alcohol-banned-from-rifle-competitions/article_208d46e3-8e6f-54b4-a2d5-98aef12ab40e.html

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Sc-Sp/Shooting.html
>>
Just don't go overboard.
>>
>>36116061
>>36116073
he's right. In small amounts, alcohol improves performance, especially in cognition.
>>
>>36115974
>got piss-drunk off good German beer after everyworkout
>>36116082
>moderate/small amounts of alcohol a day
keep walking it back there, pal
>>
/fit/ What is the healthiest alcohol?
Vodka?
>>
>>36116092
>>36116113
Riflery, while badass, is not the kind of performance I was referring to. I'm sure it's helpful for that

I meant general athletics like any of the major sports such as soccer, football, basketball, etc
>>
>>36116113
God, I'd just love to hit one of you apologists in the face. And then choke some HAES whale. Perfect day.
>>
>>36116073
ur a faget

>>36116092
>>36116113
Thanks, brehs.
>>
>>36116146
>can't even handle a drink
>thinks he's got the nuts to actually hit somebody
>>
>>36116165
>hurr durr my faked toughness will help me overcome the forces of chemistry
>>
>>36116165
Your reaction couldn't be more stereotypical.
>>
>>36116122

Me, being the person that mocked you for being afraid of alcohol and claiming "all medical science" proved you right, is not the same person as the guy who masturbates to muscled german men.
>>
>>36116138
pls respond?
>>
>>36116006
For you
>>
>>36116138

Yes, vodka. It contains less toxic byproducts than darker alcohols and has less calories

If you don't care about calories then wine is probably better due to the antioxidant content.

But really your question is stupid because alcohol is so bad for you that it's irrelevant what kind you're drinking
>>
>>36116146
I'm actually totally sober. Havne't had a drink in over a year.
>>
Beer is worst than bread? You fool, vikings won battles drunk like a jolly wood and had muscles that were strong and firm. Shut your mouth faggot and drink some jolly good beer.
>>
>>36116472
I remember reading something from I think the Icelandic sagas where the Vikings were telling tales of the worthiest men or someshit.. I forget what it was from exactly, but basically they were talking about how huge this guy was, and they wrote down his weight..... If you do the conversion it was only like 155 lb.... fucking DYELs
>>
>>36116542
people were manlets then
>>
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23470309

Alcohol increases free roaming testosterone

Arnie poured rum in his brotein shakes. He also used to eat an entire chicken and a pitcher of beer after his workouts.
Mike mentzer was an alcoholic
And some others
They both were on gear though so do whatever the hell you want
>>
>>36116641
>They both were on gear though
That's a big difference maker right there

Not arguing with your conclusion tho
>>
I drink fairly heavily on bulks for easy, buzzy calories once I've had lots of vegetables, carbs, nuts and meats. I think I'll try it sober. I like pretty much all alcohol though, from PBR to vodka. About the only stuff I shy away from are the rectified spirits, but even neat vodka (Polish brands do it well for cheap) is good for sipping.
>>
>>36116405
>Vodka has less calories
Nah bro. Vodka had a lot of calories, is one of the worst
>>
>>36115195
You're an idiot.
>>
>>36116775
You think you're some kind of funny guy, huh?
>>
>>36116405
The alcohol is the overwhelming majority of the calories for most popular alcohols, including beer and wine. There is virtually no difference among distilled spirits. And calling whiskey "more toxic" than vodka seems like broscience to me. The alcohol is the predominant toxin.
>>
>>36116834
He's talking about cogeners, which are non-ethanol toxins in the drink

Cheaper sporits and darker spirits generally have more cogeners
>>
>>36116864
And is there evidence that the amount in say, whiskey or dark rum, matters?
>>
>>36116894
I have no idea anon. I was simply clearing up the confusion.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.