[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a certified personal trainer. Back here for maybe another
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 2
I'm a certified personal trainer. Back here for maybe another hour to answer some questions.
>>
I try to do a 4 days a week program consisting of a chest&triceps, back&biceps, shoulders and leg day.

I always lose my schedule when leg day comes because my left knee is fucked up and aches after deadlifts and squats. I have this condition where my left leg was pushed against the womb wen i was born, causing it to be slightly twisted. Because of this i can never make a proper stance for standing barbell exercises. Are there 4-5 leg exercises i can do that dont require me to stand up in place?
>>
>>36014463
If all I want are bigger muscles, why shouldn't I do 3x8 on squats, ohp and bench?

(Instead of the normal 3x5)
>>
>>36014550
Talk to a physical therapist about that. But some leg exercises that don't require you to stand up in place are:

Dynamic movements such as running, walking lunges, lateral lunges, jumping, any kind of movement or gait.

Glute ham raise, although these might put a lot of pressure on your knee.

Obviously hamstring curls and leg extensions.

If you can do jumping and stuff like that, then thats what I would recommend. It obviously depends on your specific goals though.
>>
>>36014572
It depends on a lot of different factors. If you are a begginer then a 3x5 would be sufficient for muscle growth.

How long have you been training?

But 3x8 is a great rep range for muscle growth. So there's no reason not to do it.
>>
>>36014463
do squats and deadlifts really make your waistline bigger?
>>
>>36014463
Hey man, I've been lifting for like 5 months, started a split from the beginning. Been making decent gains. I started with skinny fat and am still that. When do you think I should start my cut?
>>
>>36014622
Weight makes your waistline bigger. If you lose weight your waist will get smaller. If you gain weight your waistline will get bigger.

Genetics will play a big role in this.
>>
File: DSC_0041.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0041.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>36014463
Should I feel sore after every workout?

I've done each day on pic related once so far. After day 1 my legs and ass felt like jelly for days and after day 2 my forearms were aching near the elbow joint, but the rest of my body feels largely unaffected
>>
>>36014628
Keep lifting hard and eating big. You probably dont have enough muscle to cut with.

It doesnt make sense to cut down into a skeleton. Just keep lifting and eating healthy food. You have all the time in the world!
>>
>>36014640
Do a dynamic warmup before your workout. Stretch/foam roll after your workout.

Idk how new you are. If you're a beginner then dont worry about it. Your body will adjust. If you've been lifting for a few months then you need to start focusing more on recovery and stretching and stuff.

You should focus on that if you're a beginner too, but you shouldn't feel sore after every workout forever.
>>
>>36014463
I wanna be one. Any tips for a someone whos just starting out?
Where to ad?
How to teach?
>>
Is working out 5x a week too much for a beginner?
>>
>>36014646
Thanks for replying. The thing is my gut was fairly invisible at the start but now it protrudes somewhat in a T shirt. With summer just around the corner, do you think I can do some cardio to stop it from getting any bigger? If yes, how much and how often?
>>
>>36014668
I took a course at my university and I work for my university so it's very different from getting it another way. I would recommend going about it the way I did as a semester long course is much more comprehensive and the school gives me clients.
>>
How many kcal can I expect a full time job at a package sorting facility to add to my maintenance?
>>
>>36014676
It totally depends on how much time you have that you're willing to dedicate to working out. Lifting heavy 5 days a week is probably too much. But if you do 3 days of lifting, an active recovery day (foam rolling, yoga, low intensity movements, whatever) and then a cardio day thats absolutely fine.

Just keep track of how you feel and make sure you're giving yourself enough time to recover between heavy lifts or hard workouts.
>>
>>36014713
Class recommendation s?
(Senior year)
>>
>>36014696
I hear that a lot of people do stomach vacuums to stop that but I dont have much experience with those.

Take pictures of yourself frequently and check. You might just be fitting into shirts differently for other reasons.

I would really need to see a picture to get a better idea of what physique you have and all that.
>>
>>36014732
It was a class offered by my schools Rec department. It's called PTA-Global. I enjoyed it a lot. You can just do it online but it was really nice having an interactive in person lecture.

Most schools will have some kind of strength and conditioning course that gets you certified though.
>>
How can I improve my ohp?
>>
starting boxing tomorrow morning, will doing that 3x a week and lifting 5x a week be enough to keep making strength gainz if I'm cutting?
>>
>>36014756
Ohp more.
>>
>>36014762
That's probably the exact opposite of what you should be doing. It might be better to cut the amount of volume you do and just focus on really good heavy reps.

The only way you can maintain your ability to do heavy reps.....is to do heavy reps.

It depends on a lot of different things but maybe just focus on physique instead of worrying about strength and cutting.
>>
>>36014660
It's not the soreness I'm worried about but that I'm not working my muscles properly.

And yeah I'm a complete beginner.
>>
>>36014774
Your body will adapt to the stress you're putting it under. Just keep going and you'll stop getting as sore.

It sucks but its something that you just have to deal with.

Ask people at your gym if your form looks correct to make sure that you're working them correctly, but its completely to be REALLY REALLY sore when you first start.

Just keep it up!
>>
>>36014749
Have any ideas for a good online course?
>>
Random question
My deadlift is currently at 365 for 7 reps, not touch and go, but fully resting the weight on the floor between reps.
I tried 385 and I could barely do one. I can barely max over my rep weight.
What's up with that?
>>
>>36014793
I loved PTA-global. I've only taken one but I enjoyed it.

Just make sure that you take one with a proctored exam. If the exam is online then the entire certification is complete bullshit.
>>
trainerbro,

how many exercises per muscle group should I do on a full body workout ? I prefer dumbbells and currently do 2 exercises each muscle.
My goal is to loose fat - mainly belly, and fix my lacking front side - pecs, shoulder.
>>
>>36014806
do a peaking routine! You need to get your body used to handling heavier weights.

Things like rack pulls, or chained deadlifts will help you get accustomed to heavier loads
>>
>>36014811
Thx fellow /f/itizen
>>
>>36014714
>Get a HR monitor
>Monitor calorimetry based on heart rate
>Eat that many calories.

Go do it. Shoo. Shoo I say!
>>
>>36014773
thanks guy, have a good one
>>
>>36014817
Thanks, I'll try that out
>>
>>36014816
Personally I dont like fullbody workouts. But thats just because I dont have enough time to spend in the gym to adequately hit each muscle group.

This is all preference but I like doing upper/lower splits WAY more. That way you spend a lot of time on each muscle.

and if your only goals are to lose fat then focus a lot of your attention on your diet.

I'd recommend getting your diet in check and then running a simple bodybuilding routine with cardio on the offdays. That way you'll lose fat and work your muscles.

Also, theres no way to choose where you lose fat. Thats all genetics. Unfortunately you cannot burn belly fat. You just have to lose fat in general and hope that it comes off your stomach
>>
>>36014816
Forgot - Mentally, I always aim for ~12 reps. Should I do lower+heavier ?
>>
>>36014831
You too!
>>
>>36014844
Yes, spot reduction is a myth. I just got fat mainly on the belly/ass.
>>
5'8 and 170 pounds. I can't afford the gym or gym equipment. Do you have any work outs one can do from home that will have the same affect as the gym?
>>
hey pal. what back/lats exercise do you recommend to a beginner?
>>
>>36014866

You trying to lose or gain weight?
>>
>>36014463
No one has asked the important question yet: do you even lift?
>>
>>36014845
>Personally I dont like fullbody workouts. But thats just because I dont have enough time to spend in the gym to adequately hit each muscle group.
>This is all preference but I like doing upper/lower splits WAY more. That way you spend a lot of time on each muscle.
>and if your only goals are to lose fat then focus a lot of your attention on your diet.
>I'd recommend getting your diet in check and then running a simple bodybuilding routine with cardio on the offdays. That way you'll lose fat and work your muscles.
>Also, theres no way to choose where you lose fat. Thats all genetics. Unfortunately you cannot burn belly fat. You just have to lose fat in general and hope that it comes off your stomach

If your only goals are to lose fat and fix your chest and shoulders.

Then do cardio and a bodybuilding routine. But the most important thing is going to be diet. Make sure you're consuming the right amount of calories for you to lose weight.
>>
>>36014883
I'm trying to lose weight.
>>
>>36014866
go on reddit and look up r/bodyweightfitness

Their recommended routine is awesome. Have fun!
>>
>>36014876
pullups. Rows
>>
>>36014886
I do! Right now I'm just fucking around with bodybuilding movements and muscular endurance. I want to be able to do a ridiculous number of pushups and pullups without stopping. Also working on a lot of mobility and trying to increase my VO2 max
>>
>>36014463
>I'm a certified personal trainer

so you have people squat in the smith machine, have them do isolation machines as a beginner, and do bodyweight shit at the gym? great! get the fuck out
>>
>>36014924
Quite the opposite.

I hate the smith machine and encourage clients to do whatever is going to help them reach their goals. If that goal is to get stronger than they're going to squat bench and deadlift.
>>
>>36014912
thanks pal
>>
>>36014463
>certified personal trainer
>as if this means absolutely anything at all

please get out
>>
>>36014889
thank you :)
>>
>>36014967
No problem!
>>
I'll be on for about another 15 minutes while I eat. Any other questions?
>>
>>36015003
Whats your opinion on bodyweight Training?
>>
The best accessible way to calculate calories needed?
>>
>>36014463
I just complete my medium intensity cardio day, on a 200-300 cut.
I just did an hour in the pool and I am starving, what should I eat or should I take a protein scoop in water if I'm already at my limit today?

Thanks in advanced brother.
>>
>>36015062
I love it. It's a lot of fun and its very effective.
>>
>>36015082
buy a food scale. Theyre like 10 dollars.
>>
>>36014898
Thank you very much!
>>
>>36015099
eat some vegetables and a protein shake. Something to fill you up with very little calories.

or eat some healthy food you like. It wont kill you to go a little over every once in a while. Just keep it in balance.
>>
how do i increase vertical jump for basketball. what exercises should i do for vertical
>>
>>36015135
wouldn't box jumps be what you're looking for
>>
>>36015135
Box jumps, barbell weighted jump squats, speed squats, broad jumps...
Really any kind of jumping. Even just going outside and trying to jump as high as you can while shooting around.
>>
>>36014784
Yes but what I'm asking is; if i'm not feeling any soreness in my muscles does that mean I'm not working them?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.