[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /homegym/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15
File: IMG_184922.jpg (950 KB, 1024x1567) Image search: [Google]
IMG_184922.jpg
950 KB, 1024x1567
Who here /homegym/?
>>
>>35748481
Steinborn lift master race here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qls96q4Phs4
>>
tfw no space for a home gym.
>>
>>35748502
Yeah I had to make room. Don't have a lot of space as you can see but it works.
>>
>>35748481
How much did it take to build?
>>
>>35748509
I live in the UK.
>>
>>35748490
Autism
>>
File: 1434584887722-2.jpg (3 MB, 1628x3071) Image search: [Google]
1434584887722-2.jpg
3 MB, 1628x3071
Old pic of my setup, kinda messy. R3 rack on 2 sheets of plywood and horsestall mat with a beater bar, dip bar, punchin bag, ironmaster adjustable dumbell set up to 75lb each, a bench from dicks, a few other goodies
>>
>>35748515
Rack = $400
Barbell = $120
Bench = $100
Weights = $0.50 / lbs
Floor wood = $20
Floor rubber mat = $30
>>
>>35748615
Sick platform and mirror.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>35748523
You don't have a garage? A corner of a downstairs living room? A large shed, even?
>>
>>35748875
this is pushing the limits of home gym. I mean its basically your entire living room. This isn't a home gym, this is a gym home.
>>
>>35749007
I bet this is a partial of his finished basement.
>>
does anyone else find a lack of motivation when lifting at home compared to going to a gym and lifting?
>>
>>35748875
This is probably a 1/3 of my basement, I plan on turning the whole thing into a lifting dungeon
>>
I have a home gym in my garage, I have an oly bar, iron weights, adjustable squat rack and adjustable bench which covers most lifts, built two pads for deadlifting with old ply and carpet layered together. Roof is too low for OHP so I have to do seated OHP. Dad already had a cable machine with a couple of different functions like pec dec, bench, face pull, lat pulldown, ham curls etc and we have adjustable dumbells too. A smaller barbell for playing around with also.

>>35749051
Definitely, I think because it's always free and accessible you don't have the travel or financial incentives to go religiously. Can blast own music and no queuing though so many pros
>>
File: 0425150815.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0425150815.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>35749051
Not really. I actually only put together a home gym due to my laziness. The YMCA is like 15 minutes away from my house and it closes at 9.

I was skipping workouts due to it being so far away, and only having like an hour to do anything before it closed.
>>
I've got a

>rack
>bench
>decent barbell
>140kg of iron and 80kg of bumpers in 20s plus one each of the change plates from 10 downwards

whats a good next item to purchase?
>>
Does a rack loaded with plates put too much stress on a normal wooden floor? I live in Europe and we don't have garages or can utilize the basement.
>>
>>35749193

flooring, ez-curl bar is pretty useful for a couple of exercises if standard bar causes tendon inflammation as with some people, dumbells, pull up bar
>>
What's the minimum amount of equipment you'd need for a home gym?

Would a Power Cage, an Adjustable Bench, a Bar and some plates be all you'd need to get a full work out?
>>
>>35751420
This is exactly what you would need to get started. Padding for your floor would be kind of important if you want to do deadlifts and don't want to fuck up your floor. If you can swing it, an ez bar would be a great addition.
>>
>>35751449
Thank you, man.

I'm just starting out, but I'm also a housebound sick fuck, doing it at home is my only shot.

Would I be alright with a 6ft bar or would I need a 7ft?
>>
>>35748875
what rack is that? Looks good, can use for bench and skwats
>>
File: home_gym_with_bench_2015-06-07.jpg (668 KB, 2777x1758) Image search: [Google]
home_gym_with_bench_2015-06-07.jpg
668 KB, 2777x1758
>>35751420
>What's the minimum amount of equipment you'd need for a home gym?

Depends what kind of training you're doing and on what you're prepared to compromise.

Prices are what I paid and include tax and shipping unless otherwise noted for a Starting Strength based home gym.

Valor BD-19 Sawtooth Squat / Bench Combo from Overstock.com - $317.98
Valor DA-7 Flat Bench from Overstock.com - $120 (current price)
Burgener & Rippetoe Men's Bar and Rogue Proloc Collars from Rogue Fitness - $354.19
Two 6' x 4' x 0.75" Horse Stall Rubber Mats from Tractor Supply Co. - $70 (approx.)
Wei-Rui Warrior Weightlifting Shoes from MAXbarbell - $77.94
375 lb plates via Craigslist - $250
>>
>affordable bars can only support 300lbs at most, probably less without bending to fuck
>Oly bars cost more than brand new gaymen PC
What the fuck, why do I gotta pay so much for a chunk of metal alloy
>>
>>35751420
I will make a cheap homegym
-stationnary bike
-inclinable bench
-2 adjustable dumbells
-something to protect the floor
-a big mirror
- 100 kg of weights
You can do a lot of shit with this
>>
>>35748523

UK here too where the houses are tiny compared to the US.

Unless you've got loads of money, you're pretty screwed when it comes to space for a home gym.

One good thing about the US, the houses have loads of space and big garages.

I still wouldn't move there tho.
>>
>>35748523

Uk here too, space is really tight.

So I use a trap bar for squats and deads, spinlock dumbells for pressing and a pull up bar with dipping belt.
>>
>>35753375
Depends what you consider "affordable".

300 can buy you a nice Rogue Bar.
>>
I have a homegym

Here is my setup

Power rack
Barbell
500 lb worth of plates
3 foam rollers
2 ab rollers
Ab slings
Gym Rings
Pullup bar
Bench
Pushup bars
Yoga Mat
Yoga Block
Yoga Towels
Yoga Sling
Punching bag and mitts
Chalk
Hand Gripper
Forearm gripper
Trap bar
EZ curl bar
Adjustable dumbbell bar
Adjustable bowflex dumbbell 190 lbs
Tricep bar
Dead lift jack
Tbar row jack
Tbar handle
Perfect Pushups
Resistance Bands
Resistance Loops
inzer belt
dip belt
two weightlifting belts
knee wraps
elbow sleeves
gloves
wrist wraps
bench slingshot
bowflex
eliptical
treadmill
pool
hottub
home gaming computer for music and game during rest sets
flatscreen tv 1080 p to watch movies during lifting
surround sound system
medicine balls
jump ropes
excercise cards
gym bag
gym bottle
full bar to mix drinks and whey shakes
pool table
arcade cabinent
projector tv
dip stand
power tower
excercise bike portable

and im sure im forgetting more stuff but thats the gist of it
>>
>>35754731
oh yeah and a pair of squat shoes and clips

i have a bench shirt, deadlift suit and squat suit from inzer too

oh and a banging hot girlfriend
>>
>>35754753
And I also bought basically everything from myprotein.com so i have a full mixing station
>>
>>35754775
plus i have a $700 worth of booze in my bar too
>>
How do you homegym bro's work on your backs?
>>
>>35754811
Rows & pullups
>>
>>35754811
What?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Ukfag here. This is my home gym.

It's pretty shitty and there's hardly any space but it's got everything I need for SS
>>
>>35749051
it differs from person to person

When I was signed up in a 20€ Gym that was 20 minutes away from me every week I went all 3/4 times was a huge occasion.

I'd skip workouts constantly "it's too cold" "it's raining" "you're sick" "it's too late" "all the gym bros are there, go later (protip: I didnt go later)" "I dont feel like driving there" ...

List of excuses was endless. After a year when I could cancel my membership I did instantly.
Ok I just paid 240€+some small fees for a year in a gym, but I missed like 1/3rd of my workouts.
For 500€ I got a homegym together, that has everything you need.

No matter how much of a lazy ass you are, if your shit is in your room and you look at it everytime you look sideways, there is literally no way to find an excuse for yourself, unless you're bound to the bed with a fever or have explosive diarhea.

Then again a friend of mine bought some basic equip and barely ever worked out before he joined a gym, because he felt like it would be a waste to not go because he's paying money monthly.

So I guess it depends
>>
>>35754811
I have more stuff then a regular gym has and a wide variety of options

Sometimes I tbar row, other times I deadlift, and sometimes I do shrugs with the trapbar.
>>
I have a bench that turns into a squat rack (same kind/brand we used on the football team)

Olympic barbell with 350 lbs weight

Two standard sized dumbbells for accessory lifts, have 70lbs for each.

Stationary bike for cardio with 0 possibility for human interaction.

Total cost was about $500, and I set it up in 2012 so it's more than payed for itself by now
>>
>>35748502
Mine's crammed in my bedroom. I have to put the bar in a corner when not in use but it works
>>
>>35754819
>>35754837
thanks. Just wondering because my back day is usually on machines that aren't represented itt. I'll be saving up to become homegym masterrace as soon as i find a place big enough.
>>
>>35754886
All you need is a barbell, some plates, and a doorframe.

Doorframe for pullups

Barbell for bent rows and deadlifts

And jam the barbell into a corner and use that to tbar row it

bam complete back workout
>>
Homegym masterrace reporting in
>>
>>35753279
wad up wit the boxes m8?
>>
>>35748615
Okay, I'm going to say this as sober as I can. That setup is so fucking pathetic. Oh my fucking god - I'm lmaoing at your shitty little life. Get a "job", actually make some fuckong money, buy a house and get an actual home gym. If this shit is what you come up with then don't even try. Just kill yourself instead bro.

And by bro, I mean never my fucking bro fgt
>>
>>35755987
faget, post your own gym
>>
What can I use to safely do squats if I don't own a rack?
>>
i've got a diy sandbag, a diy wrist roller and a punching bag
would you call that a homegym?
>>
>>35756195
If you don't own a rack, you can't really do anything besides deadlifts and overhead presses.
>>
>>35756353
bullshit brah, floor press and front squat (do a powerclean)
>>
>>35751646
7ft is your standard 45 lb bar
>>
>>35756403
Floor presses don't give you the stretch that an off-the-chest press does. If you have a bench, I recommend deadlifting the bar, sitting on the bench, laying back and reverse roll of shame to do normal bench presses.

I personally suck at powercleans, they are only 50% of my deadlift. Most people aim for about 70% of their deadlift for squats.
>>
>>35756484
>doing all that shit for bench press
bench press doesnt even make a good chest desu
>>
>>35756484
>wahhh what do i do if i dont have a power rack?

>oh wait i got better ways to do it brah and i cant powerclean because im a fat fucking retard also shouldnt i hit maxes every time even though i dont own a rack
>ay do this overly complicated bench method thats gonna result in you snapping your shit brah instead of buying a rack

fuck off
>>
>>35756525
Which home exercises do?
>>
i will buy soon some weight and i have a question: how many plates for each weight? i'll use for barbell and dumbell
>>
>>35756565
dips, chest flies, bench dumbbell press.

flat bench barbell press equals flat chest

do excercises that force use to stretch and squeeze your pecs like flies to make maximum gains
>>
File: 168.jpg (184 KB, 1279x778) Image search: [Google]
168.jpg
184 KB, 1279x778
>>35756640
>flies
uhh
>>
>>35756672
do bent over flies

bench flies are retard tier
>>
>>35756672
get some resistance bands do some cable flies much better desu
>>
>>35749220
I wouldn't be setting it up on a second storey wooden floor, but ground floor should be fine, under the wooden floor is concrete anyway. You will want to put some rubber down or something so you don't wreck the finish and I wouldn't be dropping snatches or slamming deadlifts either
>>
>>35754811
Pendlay Rows
>>
>>35755987
Not the guy who posted that pic here, but can't help but comment.

If you're projecting this fucking hard, I'd suggest some psychological counselling. Failing that, at least get your ass-bergers confirmed so you can work on correcting it.
>>
I made a thread last night as I'm looking to get a home gym, but fell asleep and it was pruned before I woke up.

Looking at getting a garden shed setup. Needs to be tall enough to press in (I could just press outside, but shitty UK weather). I'm 6ft with pretty long arms, so I'm guessing something around 8ft tall?

Needs to be big enough for a powerrack, bench, and olympic bar, but that's it. I don't have a lot of room to play with.

Just wondering if any bros have a similar set up.
>>
>>35757179
you mean you're looking for a cuck shed to hang out while your girlfriend is railed by a black man? dont lie anon you're with friends
>>
>>35757202
Well, whatever you want to think dude!

Main problem I'm finding is most sheds aren't more than about 7' tall.

Plus, living in the nanny-state UK, if it extends much above the neighbour's fence line I might get planning complaints.
>>
>>35754808
huh, that's quite a home gym
>>
I'm trying to start a home gym. Super fucking poor, like crazy poor though.

Don't have much yet, ~350lb of weights with bar that i got stupid cheap. Really shitty weights and stuff, but they seem to be accurate give or take a few pounds overall.

Just ordered a cheap as fuck bench last night, 600lb weight limit. Will do for now, then next on my list is a "power tower". That stuff combined should do me for a little while until i really need to invest in some sort of safeties for squatting.

Had a gym membership for a while, but the gyms in my area suck. There's two gyms, one is the YMCA which has only one squat rack which is pretty much always in use. The other is some small time gym without a squat rack or even any olympic bars.

That being said, so far i haven't missed a workout yet at home. I'm really just beginning so far, only on my second month so still lifting really damn light. Been doing OHP, Deadlifts, Squats and barbell curls. Combined with some sets of pushups and situps each workout. I've emptied out a room just for it, and put a TV in to watch Star Trek, which actually is great motivation for me. I look forward to each workout, and really miss the days that i'm off.
>>
>>35757829
Any tips on keeping a schedule and motivation? I have a good set up in an extra bedroom and just bought a treadmill but I work in a lab all day and by the time I get home I have lost all ambition to work out. Ideally I would work out in the morning but I am usually lucky to get out if bed on time. I figured that would get better once I start working out but it's hard to get into a routine.
>>
>>35758315
For me it's just a super nerdy reason.

I look forward to watching more Star Trek. I can only watch Star Trek while lifting.

So i look forward to lifting. Also really early on, so i'm still making good progress each week in my lifts. Helps a lot to see the numbers go up each week.
>>
>>35758370
Rather i should specify, i restrict myself from watching it at any other time.

I just find the whole Trek and lifting really motivating.
>>
>>35758383
I guess I could move my tv and speakers into there. It would be an all out commitment and abandonment of the living room for a reading area. I'll just put another aquarium where the tv was.
>>
>>35758469
I just have an old ass Trinitron (CRT) in there with my cable box hooked up, which can get Netflix.

I end every workout looking forward to finishing whatever episode i'm on next workout.
>>
I'm just starting out lifting and I've been fucked up sick for a while, I've got the power cage, the bench and the bar now.

But I've never lifted before, I don't know what weight plates I'll need.

Is 2 20kg enough? I've done nothing but lay in bed for a long time now, so I'm pretty weak.
>>
>>35748490

Yeah this might be fine if youre an experienced lifter and I am sure this guy squats a lot mroe than 100kg.

Can't imagine some DYEL trying to PR each week using this method, enjoy your injuries.
>>
>>35751420

A rack/cage (with pull up bar)
Barbell
Plates

thats IT. You dont need dumbells, they are just a nice add on.
>>
>>35757179
>>35757321

You wont get enough room in a shed. You need to use a garage. I had a litte set up in a shed at my house and when I went for the full power rack it wouldnt fit. I can only just OHP in the garage.

Your arms are longer than 2 feet by the way. Especially when you OHP as your whole shoulder girdle moves up.
>>
>>35759313

You need

2 of 1.25kg, 2.5kg, 5kg, 10kg and 20kg as BASIC. You wont be able to progress properly with the same weight every time.
>>
File: WP_20141201_007.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20141201_007.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
>>35748481
one day fammo....

Home gym would be dope asf
>>
File: green-red-garages-31-1024x465.jpg (136 KB, 1024x465) Image search: [Google]
green-red-garages-31-1024x465.jpg
136 KB, 1024x465
>>35748523
>>35748941
>>35754561
>>35754585

I rent a council garage, one of them rows of garages on council estates for my garage. If you don't know someone, ask a friend or whatever if they can rent a garage near them and put your gym inside of there. It's only £5 a week here. I keep my motorbike and stuff in mine too so it's more than worth it.
>>
>>35759465
I'm half asleep, I mean if you don't own a council house, ask someone who does to rent one for you.
>>
>>35754731
dude take a pic of that shit
sounds epif
>>
>>35759465
>>35759479

my local council estate is full of chavs and criminals though
>>
>>35755987
What a fag.
>>
>>35759505
Mine too, but I've had the garage with expensive stuff in it for a couple of years now and nobody has even touched it. It has big wooden doors and the first thing I did was double the floor and ceiling bolts, as well as put the floor one further in to the floor, rounded off all of the screws and replaced some with coach bolts and threw 2 nice big hasps on it.
>>
>>35759381
I'm seeing metal sheds that are big enough for a power rack. A power rack isn't that big.

Obviously as we've both said, I'd struggle with OHP. Like you pointed out, it is more than two feet. I'm looking at around 8-9 feet clearance, especially with larger plates. So I'll just have to suck it up and do OHP outside - no big deal. Unless it's absolutely cunting it down with rain, in which case I can do seated presses for a day.

I'm thinking something like this -
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/metal-sheds/billyoh-clifton-10-x-8-steel-shed/14655

Not too expensive, and more than enough room for a rack, bar, and bench.
>>
File: IMG_1262.jpg (927 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1262.jpg
927 KB, 2304x1728
ukfag as well but rich af so have the space; these bumpers are worth the price tag
>>
>>35748481

Planning on moving to Austin soon, going to be home gym in my garage.

going to uber/lyft for a while to pay for my lifting habits when I go

>hopefully craigslist incline treadmill
>bike for cycling
>home made squat rack
>home made lifting platform
>craigslist bench
>craigslist oly bar and at least 315 lb of plates

later on I might just get a adjustable db set 75 max.

Anything else?
>>
>>35756672
Did a bee sting that guy on the lip?
>>
>>35762125
>craigslist incline treadmill
careful on those. sears was running a special on fitness equipment and I found a NordicTrack C910i for $700 ($800 of list price). good deals come around every once in a while. It would suck ass to have to pay $500 for a new motor on a used treadmill
>>
>>35748481
Do you ever get too high and start raking the fake grass carpeting?
>>
>>35756672
That guys is 75% broscience, 15% marketing his own bullshit, and 10% obscure workouts and accessory bullshit.
>>
File: home_gym_audio_2015-06-07.jpg (813 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
home_gym_audio_2015-06-07.jpg
813 KB, 3264x1840
>>35755092
>wad up wit the boxes m8?

Acoustic treatment for the bare-walled echo chamber which was my basement. Pictured is the other end.

As an added bonus, it's good insulation, if not exactly fireproof.
>>
>>35748481
I never understood benching with safeties. If you're touching the bar to your chest, it's either going to hit the safeties or the safeties will be lower than your chest and thus do nothing to catch the bar.
>>
>>35764749
>If you're touching the bar to your chest, it's either going to hit the safeties or the safeties will be lower than your chest and thus do nothing to catch the bar.

Your ribs compress over a fair distance before snapping, so even if you dropped the bar and hit your chest, the safeties will - if properly adjusted - prevent your rib cage from breaking and having bits of rib puncture the soft parts inside.

More importantly, the safeties are above your throat and face. Your throat has no protective tissue and a bar can do extensive (sometimes fatal) damage to it. Dropping the bar on one's face is too unpleasant to consider.

There's nothing shameful about the roll of shame considering the alternatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUZYeTbyzzQ
>>
>>35764837
... why don't these people just get a cage instead of a rack?

Then the bar would just hit the safety pins and everything would be fine.
>>
>>35749051
Complete opposite for me
>tfw introvert
>>
File: fgghkgh.jpg (214 KB, 760x1512) Image search: [Google]
fgghkgh.jpg
214 KB, 760x1512
is this all i need to start off with?

should i add more, less?
>>
>>35766536
Why 2 barbells?
Add in some adjustable dumbbells (not the super expensive block ones, the older style where it's a handle you put plates on)
>>
>>35759465
>only £5 a wee

I could probably go to a gym for £20/month
>>
>tfw I fell for the gym meme and took a year contract cause its cheaper
>coulda just bought some home gym shit
>>
File: 81wDb983yaL._SL1500_.jpg (159 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81wDb983yaL._SL1500_.jpg
159 KB, 1500x1500
>>35766573
i dont some guy a while back told me to get an olympic barbell for deadlifts so i put it on my wishlist just in case

also you mean like something similarly to this?
>>
>>35766574
But can you park your bike inside?
>>
>>35766585
But I don't have a bike
>>
>>35766583

IMO these are better than the oly ones.

Collars stay on better, they're more compact and there's plenty of cheap used plates for them.
>>
>>35748875
sweet i have those shoes
>>
WHY DOES EVERYONE IN THE THREAD HAVE A HALF RACK
>>
>>35766915
Because cheap
>>
>>35766915
Because cheap, and what does a full rack even add that you can't do another way anyway
>>
File: rack_bench_bar-front_right.jpg (997 KB, 2816x1584) Image search: [Google]
rack_bench_bar-front_right.jpg
997 KB, 2816x1584
>>35766494
>why don't these people just get a cage instead of a rack?

On behalf of these people, I am authorised to reveal that we have budgets and therefore make compromises. Cages are better, but racks are cheaper.
>>
>>35767406

Those spotter arms make me sweat
>>
File: rack_bench_bar-front.jpg (978 KB, 2816x1584) Image search: [Google]
rack_bench_bar-front.jpg
978 KB, 2816x1584
>>35767506
>Those spotter arms make me sweat

Excitement?
Fear?
Malaria?
Finishing that last rep of your new maximum and not needing them?

In any case, please wipe the bench.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.