[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a theory; could consistently rock climbing in a gym be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Rockwall.jpg (463 KB, 850x566) Image search: [Google]
Rockwall.jpg
463 KB, 850x566
I have a theory; could consistently rock climbing in a gym be an excellent full body workout?
It would work a variety of muscles all at once, hauling my ass up a wall.

I ask because I don't exercise, at all. I'm a lazy, weak willed fuck and using weights or machines gets boring really fast. I feel like climbing would keep me interested, especially on more challenging walls. (Plus I've been playing way too much Tomb Raider and Dying Light recently.)

I don't need to lose any weight and I'm not looking to get ripped, but to make my girlish figure a bit more toned and solid. Not to mention work up some strength.

Thoughts?
>>
It's not as good as lifting but if the alternative is nothing then go nuts.

Just be sure you replace your carabiner if you ever drop it on a hard surface. Saving a few bucks isn't worth using a potentially fractured carabiner.
>>
Better than nothing desu
>>
>>35547725
Nothing better for forearms strength and tone, followed only by deadlifts and pullups. I incorporate it in my workouts as it builds endurance as well.
>>
>>35548016
>tone
>>
it's good motivation to lose weight mainly. Being lighter makes you better at it, but other than that it isn't going to do all that much for you. Only do it because you love it, if you don't love it you'll never git gud.
>>
>>35547725
Go ahead, it's awesome.

That being said, after a while I think the feeling you get from either lifting or climbing converges. In the end, they're both about hard work, endless hours of training, good rest and sleep etc. But I can see how climbing might be more appealing when starting off.

You're gonna want to do something more than climb though, at least do some pushing exercises and maybe some leg work.
>>
>>35547725
If you don't do anything then you're going to have a really bad time the first couple times. Plus you'll probably realize how scared you are of heights. If you can get used to it though go for it

I did it twice in high school, both times in terrible shape. Both times terrified of heights. I barely got up past the start and my forearms were dead both times.

Now I could do it pretty easily I imagine. But my job also entails no harness heights and climbing up 2x6 walls for long periods of time. Plus I use those coc hand grippers
>>
Don't expect to get big though. A friend of mine has been rock climbing for years, and even though he's very lean, I'm much bigger than him even after 6 months of lifting.
>>
Why not both you lazy bastard?

I mainly boulder and its the main reason I keep exercising and am losing weight. You can be big and still climb hard also. Dude at my gym is 40+, huge, and climbs better than most people that come here.
>>
>>35548179
Just a friendly reminder that there's such a thing as muscle tone.
>>
>>35547725
It's a good pull workout, almost no pushing motions with your upper body though
>>
>>35547725
my best bud rock climbs and bikes but is elite. huge lats, arms, and especially forearms. shoulders look good, bodyfat is very low so his core looks aight. small chest. legs do not exist.
>>
>>35550244
legs exist just check the op; the girl is literally using her legs. you cant say legs dont exist-- its just as bad as saying god doesnt exist when the proof is everywhere. this is the dumbest trolling ive ever seen holy fuck look down you have legs you autistic faggot
>>
>>35550244
>Biking and climbing
>No legs

Pick only one
>>
>>35549924
>In physiology, medicine, and anatomy, muscle tone (residual muscle tension or tonus) is the continuous and passive part contraction of the muscles, or the muscle's resistance to passive stretch during resting state.

Building that muscle tone :^)
>>
>>35550363
Well thats BW stuff. You obviously use your legs and your legs will have great endurance. But don't expect to squat / deadlift much anything, its a totally different world.

>Inb4 this biker / climber squats a lot
On advanced level or beyond all these pple hit the gym, because if they don't others will and they will be stronger which has its benefits in every sport.
>>
>>35550363
>biking
Hours of lactic acid buildup = muscle atrophy
>inb4 a picture of a roided Olympic biker who squats heavy weights and has big legs

>climbing
>legs
Pick 1
>>
>>35550363
i'm just describing him, legs are very small, arms and back are huge. lance armstrong was the fastest biker and has tiny everything.

>>35550339
i appreciate you, bro.
>>
>>35547725
It'll give you got tier grip strength. I spent a summer rock climbing about a year before I started lifting and when my deadlift got above 3 plate I was able to double overhand my lifts still when a bunch of bigger dudes that I know needed straps/mixed grip
>>
>>35550393
Exactly what I was talking about. It's the #1 way to spot snobby people who have been into lifting for a short time.
>>
>>35547725
It's not a full body workout by any means... At least not at the intermediate level where I am: climbing is great for your arms but does nothing for your core or glutes. Therefore, I usually compliment climbing with tumbling (aka tricking, gymnastic floor exercises, etc), stuff like aerials, raizes, back flips, etc., really work out your lower body and core.
>>
File: leg.png (2 MB, 1430x673) Image search: [Google]
leg.png
2 MB, 1430x673
>>35550363
>>35550394

This was after 4 years of competitive riding. And I'm considered a "big" rider.. LOL.

Both pics are in the off season when I'm 15lbs heavier. and 90% of riders look like anorexic twigs btw.

Basically, endurance riding does nothing for your legs. You'll have decent definition, but from riding alone, never expect to have bigger than 23 inch thighs desu
>>
>>35547725
People seem to forget weightlifting is generally used as training for a sport and isnt a sport. The strength/explosive power gain you get from compound movements translates well into rock climbing, swimming, etc.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.