[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i fix back rounding on deadlift?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2
File: 2hwe7hi.jpg (22 KB, 551x413) Image search: [Google]
2hwe7hi.jpg
22 KB, 551x413
how do i fix back rounding on deadlift?
>>
>>35528118
Shoulders back, bar scraping your shins on the way up and down (wear pants). Rock your butt back a little and bend your legs more.
>>
>>35528118
Use very light weight until you get form down
>>
valsalva maneuver.
>>
File: lower back.png (128 KB, 1844x572) Image search: [Google]
lower back.png
128 KB, 1844x572
>>35528118
>>
>>35528118

You're not the guy in the pic, are you? If so, please download the SS book and read the deadlift chapter before you snap your shit.
>>
Literally look up whilst doing it..
>>
>>35528188
no its not me
>>
>>35528118
tilt your head back
>>
shoulders down, chest up. Focus on keeping your core active. Push through the ground with your legs, your not pulling with your back.
>>
i also have a rounding back on deadlifts but no matter what i do it still rounds, i literally tried all advices
>>
Start doing twice paused deadlifts. Almost impossible to do with bad form and good for learning technique
>>
>>35528118
>Get low to the bar
>mixed grip
>use a twisting jerking motion to lift the weight
>>
simple answer: stick your ass out, as if you're showing off your butt.
>>
>>35528454
>>35528118
video related

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg49CiOHQec
>>
>>35528399
It might be a flexibility problem. Stand in front of a mirror so you see yourself from the side. Stand up straight. Keep your back and your legs straight. Now lower your back. Only flex your hips, not your knees. Go as low as you can without arching your back or legs and hold that position, maybe wiggle back and forth a little, but don't arch your back. Do this a few times after a work out, maybe it helps. I remember it helped me a lot with squats and deadlifts.
>>
>>35528118
actually get tight, like when you set up pull your self towards the bar and stick your ass out
>>
>>35528118
Shoulders back
>>
>>35528118
strengthen your upperback.

do shrugs as bill starr/rippetoe teach them
and a shitload of pendlay rows
>>
>>35528118
Bend your legs a little more. Look straight ahead. Straighten shoulders.
>>
>>35529473
Also straight leg dead lifts for back strength.
>>
>>35528157
Is it real /fit/?
I have started just yesterday with 10lb plates. I have been just on the dumbbells and machines for past few months.
How do you think I should progress with increase in weights?
>>
>>35528270
Fuck off.

What you wanna do is approach the bar, drop your hips and while your in that position, activate/flex your glutes and hams. Look in a mirror from a side view while you do this, and perhaps practice doing this in a mirror 5 mins aday at home until you get it. If you can't get this position, maybe you have tight hams? Lie on your back with one straight leg, and lift the other leg 90 degrees to your chest. Cant do this? Tight hams m80.
>>
generally speaking, back rounding is a sign of weak glutes/hamstrings rather than a weak back. SLDLs and pause squats are good accessory exercises
>>
I used to have a problem where whenever I'd deadlift heavy I'd round my back. I couldn't figure out why. Eventually I realized it was my straps. Whenever I use them I skip the mental cue of pulling my elbows and shoulders back to use my lats. Since switching to just using chalk my form has gotten much better.
>>
protip: If you cant touch the end of your toes by bending straight over without bending knees and your legs are together, stop deadlifting and get mobile
>>
Trap bar if you're lazy
>>
>>35533668
this
>>
>>35528118
keep your back straight.
>>
basically its because your legs arent strong enough / you dont know how to lift with your legs during the lift. Mostly its because you are weak
>>
Load your hams. Worked for me
>>
>>35528525

yooo what the fuck did i just watch
>>
Deadlift is like a squat so get your ass lower
>>
>>35531990
+5 pounds a every workout until linear gains stop.

Read the sticky
>>
Cue yourself to keep your chest up, and maintain that position throughout the lift, it will feel like shit, and probably feel really hard to do, but if you stick to it, it works.

Also keep the bar as close to you as possible, touching your body from the starting position to lockout.

I would say to pack your lats, but it might confuse you as a beginner, so focus on the above points.
>>
>>35538482
> deadlift is like a squat
DYEL
>>
>>35538482
Please be trolling, they are completely different movements, and having your hips too low will have you shooting your hips high just to break the bar off the floor, and losing a bunch of energy in the process, leading to lots of weight off the bar.
>>
>>35538582
Clean pulls faggot
>>
>>35538587
That's not a deadlift faggot.
>>
I can't keep a neutral back when I deadlift, I see everybody do deadlifts with their back with a 75 degree angle but mine looks more like 180 degrees, help
>>
>>35528427
This

Paused deadlifts
This will learn you to load your glutes and hamstrings and not your back
>>
>>35536269
CT Fletcher's Son Samson Going Snap City on Deadlifts
>>
Take the bar out of a rack or off blocks and do your lifts from the top down so you can start with your back in a good position and maintain it to the floor, or blocks if you cannot maintain it to the floor.

Do some pullups so you can hang your spine into a decent position
>>
>there are people on fit right now that are so weak they cant deadlift 225lb or 100kg without rounding the back
>>
>>35539056
It's not weakness, it's mobility and control. My deadlift shot up like crazy once I started weightlifting and got WL shoes, because suddenly I had enough ankle range of motion to more comfortably set up and pull
>>
>>35533705
I've never been able to touch my toes and I have a terrible time doing deadlifts without hurting my back.

Is this why? How do I get the flexibility to touch my toes? I think it's my hamstrings won't let me
>>
>>35539073
>Literally every coach in existence tells you WL shoes will add 1.5-2 inches of height and should be avoided for DL.
>Even Andy bolton 1009 lbs DLer mentions them
Were you deadlifting in stripper heels or something ? Or are you squatting down to the weight?
>>
>>35539056
I can bench 205 and squat 295 but if I try to deadlift 225 I would become disabled
>>
>>35539111
Bro mobility and flexbility work is absolute bullshit only dyels on fit talk about the guy is a moron I lift in a PL/Oly gym and there are guys that can't touch their toes but deadlift in 240 kg regions with straight back hell one of the guys benches 190 kg and can't do a single chin up.

Just deadlift or squat more if you want to be more flexible in those lifts. Obviously don't be a moron and keep increasing your weight every session when you have shit form.
>>
>>35539147
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are actually squatting to depth and not half squatting.

Are you using chalk? Are you using Mixed grip? Are you using a belt? Are you deadlifting in heeled shoes?
>>
>>35539122
I went from flat canvas shoes/barefeet to Adipowers. It just puts me in a nicer position to pull. Most WLers prefer to pull in them because they're used to it, but they probably could pull more from flat if they trained to.

>>35539111
Probably. Try this video, it's good for showing you how to set up for a deadlift, and if you can't do it well, you need to find and improve the mobility problems that prevent it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-DJu0bEVPw
>>
>>35539182
>mixed grip
>no chalk
>no belt
>no high heels
Fucks up my back mane, I haven't deadlifted since October because it gave me sciatica
>>
>>35539193
>I went from flat canvas shoes/barefeet to Adipowers. It just puts me in a nicer position to pull. Most WLers prefer to pull in them because they're used to it, but they probably could pull more from flat if they trained to.

The setup for oly/wl lifts are not the same for dl though.

Anyway whatever works for you, but I found other than squats and oly lifts my oly shoes were a hindrance in the DL but then again i'm 5'7 manlet with godly leverages for Bench and Squat and horrible DL.
>>
>>35539155
I'm not even sure if this is just bait
>>
>>35539304
It's not you retarded dyel, if a newbie can't lift his baby weights of 2-3 pl8 then he is doing something wrong rather than him needing 70 billion mobility and flexibility work.
>>
What are some good alternatives for Weightlifting Shoes? I'm from Argentina and I doubt I will find propper WL footwear so Im looking for something similar, I've heard Converse are good since they have flat bottom but what else should they have to be good for weight lifting?
>>
>>35539230
Sciatica is a bitch. I dealt with it for months after I injured my back, but then it went away all of a sudden and hasn't returned in years. So I don't even have any advice for it.
>>
>>35528525
Nooooooooo! What the shit, was this a joke?
>>
>>35533668
No, back rounding is a sign of poor form and hte inability to set up properly.
Start with bar over midfoot, grab bar. Bend knees till shins touch bar. Push out your chest and bumm at the same time, back should be straight if you do it like this.
Also, upper back rounding is not as bad as lower back rounding.
>>
>>35539073
Oly shoes make it harder to keep a neutral back in the deadlift though.
>>
>>35528525
>snap on
Kek
>>
>>35528118
Probably said already, but squueeeze the chest up.
>>
>>35528118
watch candito's vid. its foolproof
>>
>>35531990
Sticky, SS.
>>
pick a spot on the ceiling and focus on that while lifting
>>
>>35528118
>how do i fix back rounding on deadlift?
Your heels come off the ground when doing squats, too, don't they?

You have shit flexibility is your problem, and probably weak core, too.

Quit doing these exercises, at least with any substantial amount of weight, until you fix your flexibility and core strength, or at best you'll stall out early, at worst you'll end up in the ER with a serious injury that will take months to heal and you won't be lifting ever again.
>>
>>35539529
Just any sort of thin soled shoe works really, you don't generally need footwear specifically designed for lifting, plenty of people do it barefoot.
>>
>>35531990
I'm late but if you're still here it's because of the small weight you're using, the bar might be too close to the ground once you can get 135 the bar will be higher allowing you to not round your back. Also i find lowering your ass helps a lot.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.