[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pullups are all round excellent. Any tips to isolate the lats more?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4
File: Bodybuilder-Pull-Up[1].jpg (78 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
Bodybuilder-Pull-Up[1].jpg
78 KB, 620x349
Pullups are all round excellent. Any tips to isolate the lats more?
>>
have good form
>>
Full range of motion, no kipping
>>
I hear chinups have a larger range of motion for the lats
which works lats more; chinup or pullup?
>>
Question about these things: I cant do any pullups if I fully extend my arms at the bottom of each, but I can do 4 if I only half extend them.

if that makes sense.

Anyway, am I better off doing my cheating pullups or stricter form negatives?
>>
>>35465332
eat dianabol
>>
crossfit.gif
>>
>>35465332
If you don't train the bottom part of the movement you won't get stronger at the bottom part
>>
>>35465332
what do you mean by extending arms? if you wanna work your lats then unlocking shoulders (just like going too high) is fucking stupid
>>
>>35465332
You're half-repping. Like people who bench by only moving the bar about 2 inches.
If you're cool with that, then continue. But everyone who knows what they're doing thinks you're a fag.

Practice slow negatives until you can complete the full movement.
>>
>>35465331
Chinups.

Pullups work the lats for a different function though, of which the Teres major greatly assists. Pullups work more mid back and less biceps, pullups work more lats and more biceps.

Neither is better IMO. They're just different.
>>
>>35465331
dorian yates says chin is better for lats, and he had the BEST lats of all time ever.

that and yate's rows (aka bent-over row, aka cheater barbell row)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjwZ1fxtCQ

barbell rows are fine too, but they are more for upper back (as dorian explains in the above vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

>>35465332
always do dead-hang pull ups..
>>
>>35465332
Yes, do full range of motion.
>>
>>35465401
you can have arms fully extended and maintain scapular retraction.

you can also relax your scapula in between reps, as long as you retract it at the very beginning of the ROM
>>
>>35465551
>always do dead-hang pull ups..
this is stupid and injury prone, why would you unlock-lock shoulders in every rep when you're exercising lats?
>>
>>35465570
because your scapula only needs to be retracted during the concentric phase of the ROM.

you can keep your scapula retracted the entire time if you want, as long as your arms are fully relaxed (if you have trouble doing this, consider trying scapular pull ups)

your question is akin to asking why you should set the weight all the way on the ground in between reps on deadlift.
>>
>>35465570
>why would you unlock-lock
why would you english?
>>
>>35465594
>your question is akin to asking why you should set the weight all the way on the ground in between reps on deadlift.
no, not at all.
>>
>>35465527
desu what you are describing is more accurate for close grip vs wide grip (wide grip is more teres, rhomboids, rear delts, lower traps - close grip is more lats)

chin ups and pull ups are almost the same, except the elbow path on chin ups allow slightly longer ROM for the lats. outside of that they are almost the same, except chins are for biceps and pull ups are for forearms

you should really be doing both...
>>
>>35465624
yes, it exactly is. because you retract the scapula before you start the pulling.

meaning a relaxed back going into retraction has a deeper ROM. similar to how you have a deeper ROM if you put the weight all the way on the ground in between reps on deadlift.

literally the same scenario
>>
>>35465665
no it would be similar to assuming a relaxed pedestrian position or doing something idiotic like rounding your back after each deadlift rep

do you do pull ups to exercise lats or be a monkey and fuck your shoulder joint ? they're different things, imo.
>>
>>35465290

Closegrip pullups are better for the lats than widegrip.
Chinups are also amazing.

One-arm lat pulldowns has the longest range of motion for the lats out of any other back exercise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaJhYsCkX2s
>>
>>35465731
>Closegrip pullups are better for the lats than widegrip.
>Chinups are also amazing.
that's completely wrong, you do both predominantly with your biceps (especially the chinup)

wide grip is the only heavy lat exercise
>>
>>35465776

No. You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>35465790
you can do more chin-ups so it MUST BE superior, am I guessing it right?
>>
>>35465820

Nope. You just misunderstand how the muscles involved work. The lats do less work in wide-grip pullups (the movement spends more of its ROM in the area where the teres major is the main mover due to the lats being in a poor position to contribute) compared to regular pullups and chin-ups. Chin-ups are still primarily lats as the biceps cannot adduct the arm which is where most of the motion is occurring.
>>
>>35465862
you're an imbecile, you need to know this. now go do some googling and feel some shame.
>>
>>35465551
This

Ive been doing chins for a while and my lats are blowing up
>>
>>35465900
You can google misinformation just as easily as information. The lats don't function through nearly as much of the ROM of a pull-up as they do during a chin-up.
>>
>>35465820
chins are easier, sure.

if you add enough weight to compensate, it is a better lat exercise.

there is a plethora of scientific data establishing the fact chins hit your lats better, and dorian yates himself says chins are better for "lower lats" (he says this because he understands normies think teres = lats and lats = lower lats)
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/pull-up-vs-chin-up-a-comparison-and-analysis
http://www.musculardevelopment.com/training/2852-principles-of-mass-construction-by-dorian-yates.html

spoiler alert: they both target lats almost the same amount, but chins have slightly more lat activation
pull ups hit your lower traps and teres more, however
http://www.scienceforfitness.com/2014/10/06/pull-ups-or-chin-ups/

>>35465900
>calls someone an imbecile when he is objectively correct
0/10

go be a retard somewhere else
>>
>>35465900
>DYELS calling people who know what the fuck they are talking about "imbeciles"

yep... it's new years alright...

fuck, i never thought i would hate the month of january so goddamn much

kill yourself faggot.

>>35465820
>hurr it is harder to do, so it must be better
nice broscience, fagtard
>>
>>35465776
>>35465820
>>35465900
>people this stupid exist and give advice on /fit/
>>
>>35465594
This actually makes a lot of sense now.
I always had trouble isolating my lats so i would try to use a very wide grip but then i started doing close grip pull ups and had the best lat DOMS. So its more about the ROM than the exercise.
>>
>>35466148
not only that, but look at what muscles are contracting on wide grip...
the fucking upper back.
you can see the teres and rhomboids and traps contracting more on wide grip than close grip.

you can see your elbows aren't retracted nearly as much on wide grip (fully contract your lats right now, and watch your elbows retract)
http://www.rookiejournal.com/fitness-myths-wide-grip-pull-ups-will-not-make-your-lats-wider.html
>>
>>35465290
So I can't supinate my left wrist enough to do chin ups.

Instead of pullups, would a grip where my palms face each other work anything more than (what feels like) biceps as well as lats or anything else?
>>
>>35465290
One arm chin-ups?
>>
What about neutral grip pull ups?
>>
>>35466275
I guess its just broscience. Wider grip=wider lats
>>
>>35466284
>>35466303
neutral grips are great.

pretty much split the difference between pull ups and chin ups

little bit of forearm, little bit of bicep, great lat activation.

it isn't the kind of thing you can do a proper wide-grip on, so for upper back, you are going to want to do either strict barbell rows, or a wide-grip pull up (or both)

when i say barbell row, i refer to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

as opposed to the (far superior) variation that looks more like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjwZ1fxtCQ
which is more for lower back than upper (pendlay says the opposite, but he is wrong and yates is right.)
>>
>>35466330
yes...
shitty broscience at that.
>>
>>35466295
Really hard unless you're a manlet.
>>
how big of a role does teres major and minor play in terms of aesthetics guys?
>>
>>35466477

Minor? Pretty much zero, as its small and sits underneath other muscles.

Major? Not much. Again, its a small muscle but it is visible.
>>
>>35466497
thanks much bro
>>
>>35465290
DEAD HANGS
E
A
D

H
A
N
G
S
>>
>>35467022
literally a forearm exercise.

if you mean static holds (where you hang at the top of the ROM) that is a completely different thing.

even then isometric holds are garbage for hypertrophy (absolutely great for building strength though, so if you are having trouble doing a lot of volume on pull ups, increasing pull up strength will let you do more volume, and thus achieve more growth)
>>
>>35467089
What about shrugs while dead hanging on a pull-up bar?
>>
>>35467119
i think you mean scapular pull ups, since you couldn't "shrug" your shoulders up in a dead hang, only retract your shoulders down

i think those were briefly mentioned ITT.

good way to build strength if you are having trouble keeping your scapula retracted, or can't do a pull up yet, and want to build some strength
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtzkz3pOjyE
>>
>>35467119
just to be clear, if you are suggesting scapular pull ups as a lat builder, that is a pretty shitty idea, just based on the very limited range of motion, and the inability to get full contraction (only an isometric squeeze)
>>
Are t-bar rows good lads?
>>
>>35468289
Sure brah why not
>>
So which are better wide grip or close grip? I would assume wide grip is better they're just way more difficult to do I suppose you could always do both though and get all the benefits.
>>
>>35468321
read the thread, this questions been answered 10 times m80
>>
>>35468321
They don't work separate muscles so it doesn't really matter.
You could do close grip forever and not be missing out on anything.
>>
>>35468321

Harder does not mean better. If it did, we'd all be squatting off the pins, benching flatbacked with a cambered bar and deadlifting with a snatch-grip while standing on blocks.
>>
>>35468342
You mean you don't do those things?
>>
Am I better doing 3x5 chinups or 3x8

If I do 3x5 I can add weight, 10kg or so atm

Whereas 3x8 I have to do unweighted

Thoughts?
>>
>>35465332
just stick with it. Try different grips. Wide grips are harder than shoulder width apart grips. Don't cheat your pull-ups, its about getting stronger, not numbers.
>>
>>35468366
work up to 8x8 unweighted, add weight when you can do them. add 5kg each time you hit 8x8.

>but muh 3 sets

get to work you dyels
>>
>>35468366
Keep going with weighted
>>
>>35468366
2x5 1xAMRAP for the weighted, and add more weight once you've hit over 10 on the 3rd set.

Once you can do a good amount of weighted pullups, there's not much of a reason to do them unweighted. Unless you want to use more volume to get past a plateau, or just to fuck around and see how many you can knock out.
>>
>can barely do 4 chin ups
>heart trying to get out of chest after it
>relatives 7 year old son does 14 with no effort

I wish I was a swole kid
>>
I can do 5 full extension 2 finger pull-ups with a weight vest. Im special.
>>
>>35468411
Not really unless the vest is like 40kg
>>
>>35468419
I eat success for breakfast, with skim milk
>>
>>35468431
>skim milk
not gonna make it
>>
>>35468431
The skim milk seems to shred up your success
>>
>>35468431
Breast milk>Skim Milk
>>
>>35468439
success is all I need really, the milk just makes it sweeter
>>
>>35465551
>always do dead-hang pull ups
Why is this good when in every other exercise in existence you're supposed to keep the tightness between reps?
>>
>>35468590
>what are paused reps
>>
>>35468590
what are deadlifts?
what are pendlay rows?

also
>>35469022

>>35468336
>They don't work separate muscles so it doesn't really matter.
true, but they certainly emphasize certain muscles over others.
>>
>>35468342
>benching with a camber bar
I.... I kinda want to try this now.

dem stabilizer gains..
>>
>>35469047
It gets you a good stretch on the chest. I mean about those bars that have the middle of the bar raised for a few inches, nothing too extreme. And one shouldn't go maxing straight away get I feel for it first.
>>
File: cambered.jpg (23 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
cambered.jpg
23 KB, 800x800
>>35470020
Here's a pic what I meant. A small bend in the middle.
>>
>>35468407
>relatives 7 year old son does 14 with no effort
maybe because he weights 60 pounds
>>
>>35465862
>(the movement spends more of its ROM in the area where the teres major is the main mover due to the lats being in a poor position to contribute
dude the teres major lis like 2% the size of the lats

not to say chins arent better for lats but teres major being main mover is just ridiculous. and the lats favoring shoulder extension instead of adduction is a very small detail too
>>
File: 1451746809404.jpg (183 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
1451746809404.jpg
183 KB, 1124x1024
>>35468431
>2016 + 3/7
>not drinking semen for protein supplementation

goodbye friendo
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.