[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ how much am I cheating myself doing leg press instead of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Leg_press.png (68 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
Leg_press.png
68 KB, 540x360
/fit/ how much am I cheating myself doing leg press instead of squats? Squats hurt my right knee, some sort of lack of control on that side.
>>
>>35384483
m8 you are cheating yourself out on gains, just start with low squat weight and do slow controlled reps until you can work up to big weight
>>
Leg presses are for pussies.
Imideatly change your program to SS+GOMAD fucking DYEL twink.
>>
Are they really actually useless?
>>
>>35384483
>leg press
you mean " the spine grinder"?
>>
leg presses aren't actually that bad, but they still do not compare to squats. talk to your doctor about your right knee and make sure if you actually can or cannot do squats

if you can do squats and the pain isn't a sign of anything, then do the squats. they're far superior. if you actually have the potential to snap some shit up by doing squats, then stick with leg presses.
>>
The weird shit is I can deadlift no problem, right in line with the 3/4/5 bench/squat/DL ratio. It's just a weird thing keeping my right knee in line on the squat.
>>
>>35384483
Don't listen to the people calling you a faggot or a pussy for doing leg press. If you can't do squats then don't do them. It isn't required to having a good physique or being strong.
>>
File: 1448818646162.jpg (13 KB, 361x330) Image search: [Google]
1448818646162.jpg
13 KB, 361x330
>>35384625
If all it is is a form issue, then go with some lighter weight and get your fucking form down. You honestly are cheating yourself by not doing squats.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 388x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 388x500
>leg presses aren't as good as squats
>le epic squat gains
>>
>>35384483
They're both legitimate exercises, I do both. You get different gains from them, because they are different exercises. Squats work really well for a lot of people (myself included), but a friend of mine just hates them and never does them, he just does leg presses, and he has excellent leg strength. Whatever works for you brah

make sure to check your form though, you might be moving your knee in a bad way
>>
>>35384483
You can only train at the level you can train at. Being bullied by people because you can't do what they're doing is bullshit and is to be ignored. If you need to do remedial work before you can do something as extreme and taxing as freebar squats, then that's what you need to do to get where you want to be. Also squats are not for everyone. You just may not be built to do them, and there's no shame or dishonor in that. Whether you're lifting as part of training for a sport, or lifting just so you're stronger and look good, it doesn't really matter what you do to get there, it's the end result that matters, doesn't it?

Now, then, most people have one limb stronger than the other. To do squats you can't have an imbalance like that. For a while you might need to do single-leg press until you get both legs equal. Put your foot higher up on the platform to include hamstrings and glutes more. At the same time you're doing that include leg curls for hamstring strength, also single-leg. If you want you can do lunges, which are similar to squats in what they're working, but it's a single leg at a time, so again you're addressing any imbalance. If you think you have a legitimate problem with your knee then you need to see a doctor, but take what they tell you with a grain of salt because they'll almost always try to steer you away from anything more than very very moderate, housewife-level exercises, because otherwise they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit if you get injured at the gym because they told you 'sure go ahead and squat 300lbs, Anon!'. Good luck OP.
>>
the hodge twins only do leg press and lots of lifters only doing leg press if they have back/knee/other issues

the two lifts are almost identical and there is nothing you can't do with leg press/isolations. So unless you are worried about /fit/ judging you for not doing squats, there is no reason you have to do them.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.