[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
H-hi /fit/. So, I got myself a gym membership for Christmas.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 15
File: tfw crying.jpg (48 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
tfw crying.jpg
48 KB, 535x577
H-hi /fit/.

So, I got myself a gym membership for Christmas. I'm 18, 165 lbs, 5'4 and a grill. I read the sticky, got everything in it.. My issue here isn't the facts and how to actually exercise and eat, it's just.. I'm pretty shy, and while there's kind of a community between the guys at the gym, the girls there aren't the same at all in my experience and I have absolutely no idea where to start, who to ask about form and what to use and all that kind of stuff.. And I'm also embarassed as hell to go there as a fat/chubby girl and try and lift weights, I feel like everyone would be watching and laughing at me. Sorry for rambling and not being very coherent right now, this is just kind of stressful to me to even think about walking in there and making an ass of myself.

I guess basically my question is just, how do I start off my first day at the gym without embarassing myself? How do I really get into this this time? I've tried losing weight almost every year since I was like 14 (though I was still skinny back then), and always failed just because of this. I dunno if any of this made sense just now but maybe you guys can help me with my worries. Thank you and happy holidays and stuff.
>>
>>35368222
Trust me no one cares, everyone focuses on themselves and so should you, get in, get out and please be in LONDON.
>>
File: 1434233441154.jpg (27 KB, 293x293) Image search: [Google]
1434233441154.jpg
27 KB, 293x293
>>35368222
post pics first
>>
File: 3TY3Aya.png (100 KB, 1254x261) Image search: [Google]
3TY3Aya.png
100 KB, 1254x261
>>35368222

>and a grill
>>
Nobody will be watching you. If you're really that worried, find a dead gym and go at a stupid hour of night so it's empty. Start with low weights and test them out before you go to higher ones, because if you drop weights people will look.

Tbqh just by going to gym you're doing more to better yourself than 90% of the population. Congratulations. Remember that diet is 80% of changing your body; force yourself to make a habit of exercise and diet, and you'll feel horrible if you ever stray from it.
Best of luck, and may the spirit of Zyzz be with you, based femanon.
>>
just watch videos on youtube showing how to use proper form and eat LESS to lose weight

also no one gives a FUCK about anyone else in the gym
>>
>>35368271
Oh and form isn't that big of a deal until you start lifting heavy shit, just ask any of the bigger dudes to check your form. 90% of the time they do it wrong but if you don't want to pay a pt then it's as good as you will get.
>>
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
File: Starting ass.png (134 KB, 1258x389) Image search: [Google]
Starting ass.png
134 KB, 1258x389
Losing weight is mostly diet.

Watch some vids so you'll know a few exercises and how to use the machines.

Wear confortabe clothes like leggings and a shirt.

No gloves, thanks.

You can also carry a towel for the sweat, a water bottle for staying hydrated and a snack (apple for example) if you're hungry.

Don't fall for the fitness scams such as 30 days programs, magic supplements, etc. You can get everything for free from the internet.

You'll think everybody will be watching you but it'll only happen if you're a hottie. Normally everybody minds his own bussiness and does his/her own thing.

Don't be afraid of asking or if someone corrects your form.
>>
>Once a ham planet always a ham planet

Chubby cheek chubby leg chubby thigh
Bish u haev ben wit 2 many gaiyz
>>
File: 1449438630556.jpg (147 KB, 1078x926) Image search: [Google]
1449438630556.jpg
147 KB, 1078x926
Post pics so we can assess your situation.
>>
>>35368222

almost everyone at the gym keeps to themselves and does their routine

i've been going for 2 years and the only people I talk to are some of the PT's I met

gym should not be a social thing, it's a place to train.
>>
>>35368222
Is your gym the kind of gym where there are roaming personal trainers, is there some sort of a receptionists desk? Go up there and go with honesty, "Hey AttendancePersonThat'sHereForMyBenefit, I'm just starting out, could you show me how to properly Squat/Bench/Deadlift/whatever so that I don't wreck myself?"
>>
>nobody will stare/laugh at you. The only people that might look at you are dudes since you're a grill and therefore have boobs and a vagina
>do cardio. Half of what you do at the gym should be cardio. I recommend threadmill. Walk at a fast pace, then raise the speed and jog for as long as you can. When you can't take it anymore, lower the speed and walk, only to resume jogging a few minutes later. Rince and repeat until you can jog non-stop for 30mins. And then keep doing that, but at a faster speed. This is by far the best advise I would give to a girl that's just looking forward to lose weight. Your legs are gonna be really sore at first as your body isn't used to running. You don't want to be the perma-fatty girl that only does muscle isolations and walks 10min on a threadmill at a slow pace. Ps: if you're not covered in sweat, you're doing it wrong
>do lunges and squats, plus some leg machines. If you're too shy to ask people for help, simply watch fit grills and do what they do
>a clean diet is important. If it tastes really good, it's probably bad for you. Eat as much plain vegetables as possible. Water is the only thing you should eat
>always bring an mp3 player with good music suitable for cardio and keep updating (personally I go on soundcloud and download techno mixes)

good luck and remember, your results will be directly proportional to how much effort you put into this

>extra weightloss tip: Don't eat anything after dinner that's not a vegetable and sleep for as long as possible
>>
Make a list of exercises you plan on doing so you're not wandering around aimlessly if some equipment is in use, go when it's quiet, and just relax. You've paid your membership, you're entitled to be there, and there's nothing that strange or remarkable about a chubby grill having a respectable attempt at working out, even if she isn't lifting massive weights or doing things perfectly. Most of the people who visit the gym are quite casual visitors, not elite and superfit athletes, they wouldn't have a clue even if you were doing something totally wrong.
>>
>>35368330
This exactly. It's ok to chat with someone for a few moments if you're waiting for the same machine, ask for a spot, unknown exercise, form check etc. but the idea is that everyone is there for themselves first.
>>
>>35368222
nudes pls
ass shot pls
>>
File: klkklkldlksf.jpg (97 KB, 502x666) Image search: [Google]
klkklkldlksf.jpg
97 KB, 502x666
>>35368238
I know that probably no one cares, but I'm sure I'll be forced to interact with at least some people just to find my way around.. Thanks for the heads up though.

>>35368240
>>35368326
I guess on here that makes sense, maybe you have some additional advice that way.

>>35368249
Thought that might be relevant.. But in retrospective I guess not really.

>>35368271
>find a dead gym and go at a stupid hour of night so it's empty.
this is a really really good idea and I will probably do that until i get comfortable.. thank you.

>>35368275
I already watched some videos but I'm not sure I can replicate that perfectly on my own. thank you though.

>>35368285
I definitely can't ask anyone there to check my form, too autistic desu

>>35368312
t-thank you. and wow, that girl has a great body. that's what I'd like to look like one day ;_;

>>35368314
I try not to think that way because it just seems like a silly excuse to me, "once a ham planet always a ham planet". I really want to try and improve myself, and it's just a cop out to say "lol dis jus how i am" don't you think?
>>
File: 1426688757499.jpg (134 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1426688757499.jpg
134 KB, 768x1024
>>35368222
Look up some work out vids for begingers on youtube, follow some of the people you find interesting, study and write down the routines so you don't forget them and go to the gym with the paper, then just start off with small weights, to feel out where you limit is and write it down, do this at least 20 days in a row so it becomes a habbit, and there you go ! You are now a gym rat like the rest of us.

Also don't worry about people thinking anything about you, and if you do like I say and take the workout on paper and noting your progress, they will admire you for your dedication to becoming a fit human bean.

Hope this helps and good luck.
>>
>>35368360
>tfw no autistic high test qt gf
>>
>>35368340
That thought it horrifying to me, but I probably won't be able to avoid doing that, you're right.

>>35368347
I do already run sometimes so I'm definitely going to take your advice on the treadmill thing.
diet is going to be my main problem i think because i just eat my feelings and am not very disciplined when it comes to that.. yet!

>>35368352
>You've paid your membership, you're entitled to be there, and there's nothing that strange or remarkable about a chubby grill having a respectable attempt at working out, even if she isn't lifting massive weights or doing things perfectly.
Thank you, that really made me feel a bit better.

I am always so intimidated by people into fitness, i'm kinda suprised you guys are so nice.
>>
>>35368360
Ok, so, real talk, right now your body is like a 4 and half a year of regular, disciplined work from being a 6-7, then maybe another year from being a solid 9. Don't skip workouts, eat a big breakfast, small lunch and skip supper and you too can have nerds tripping when you enter the room.
>>
>>35368369
Thank you it definitely helped! Will try to write down everything. In fact im gonna start designing my designated gym notebook now, lel.

>>35368392
I-i'm not even autistic irl, I usually take on the role of the "funny fat girl" around my friends, which i fucking HATE, I'm just really really insecure when talking to people I deem "superior" to me.. so i dunno, this kind of situation is hard for me even though i guess i do well socially usually.
>>
File: Goodnight-Punpun-v08-p136-Copy.png (152 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
Goodnight-Punpun-v08-p136-Copy.png
152 KB, 600x429
>>35368222

You joined the gym to lose weight?

Hell, you could've done that without getting out of the house. JUST. DON'T. EAT.

JUST

DON'T

EAT
Fucking hell, you're not gonna making it.
>>
>>35368360
TORONTO
O
R
O
N
T
O
>>
>>35368396
>I am always so intimidated by people into fitness, i'm kinda suprised you guys are so nice.

I guess it's a tribal thing - world is full of dangers as it is, so we gotta take care of our own people first.
>>
>>35368404
It's not really about people mirin, i just kind of want to be able to be active again in the same way i was when i was younger, i used to be on a swimteam and hike all the time and i felt great and in touch with my body and now.. now i hate it and cant do anything active without being ashamed. of course i want to be attractive, but mostly i just want to feel comfortable in my own skin again.

>>35368413
I tried that, didn't work out very well.
>>
>>35368413
Found the skinnyfat anon.
>>
File: debut.jpg (516 KB, 1416x1416) Image search: [Google]
debut.jpg
516 KB, 1416x1416
>>35368360
It's not that bad desu. You just need to be very careful about not losing weight too fast as that will leave you with excess loose skin.
What I would advise is watch as many videos as you can on the form of exercises that you want to have in your routine.
Don't be too afraid just keep in mind that the gym is a place where you pay to use the equipment and that just so happens to have other people in it.
It will be hard at first but with every consecutive workout you'll get more confident in your movements and how your body works.

As you've read the sticky, just stick to a deficit of about 200-300 calories max as not to lose weight too fast and retain as much muscle as you have.

Now because you're pretty thick, I would assume you do actually have some muscle because naturally, your body had to adapt to bigger baggage.

That means that cutting the fat and retaining muscle will make you super thick solid and tight (i.e. skinny, ripped and delicious).

Practice self control and don't indulge in shitty eating habits.

Keep good track of your progress, don't weigh yourself every day but every 4 days to see how the scale is doing.

Measure yourself in areas you like - belly, thighs etc.

And also look in the mirror, see how you feel daily, how your menstrual cycles are (regular or irregular). I'm talking about this because working out at first is a huge stress on your body and hormones need to adjust so if anything is out of order do consult a doctor or at least evaluate what you're doing.

Last but not least, do not start cardio with running. Your additional weight that's stored as fat is a major factor in knee health when running.

If you really want to do cardio choose a bike or a rowing machine until you shed some weight.

Oh and also
pls be in london
>>
>>35368432

There are no fatasses in Nazi concentration camps, negro.

You gave in to the hunger and stuffed your face like a fat fuck.

Not gonna make it x2
>>
OP, about watching the form check videos - nothing beats having an actual person by your side to correct your form in real time. You might not even notice when you're deviating. I was squatting for half a year with a massive buttwink(slang for tailbone sliding, which creates massive back issues later on) before I asked someone to check my form.

Lift responsibly.
>>
>>35368360
>this is a really really good idea and I will probably do that until i get comfortable.. thank you.
If you won't face your fears you won't get over it. The hardest step is always the hardest one. After you'll think that it was easy and you worried for nothing.
>>
patience and motivation are you're best friends here

If you can't get to the gym for whatever reason, make sure you are being active in some other way
>>
>>35368360
You can easily find basic workout videos on the internet.
And if you don't want to make a fool of yourself just start with light weights. It's just that simple. When you are lifting light your form really doesn't matter that much and if you're comfortable with the weights you won't fuck up.

Also you're probably going to make SOME mistakes but its no sweat trust me everyone makes them during their first try it's how you learn.
>>
Fuck off New Years fag
>>
>>35368456
Thanks so much for trying to motivate me. ;_;
Are there any specific videos you could recommend I watch?
I'm saving this whole thread and your advice, so just know that it really is appreciated.

>>35368475
I do have someone to go with, but he only very recently stared going to the gym aswell, so he can't really help me with that. Is it really not at all frowned upon to just ask a stranger to do that?

>>35368476
You're probably right.. It's tough enough to even get myself to go there at all. I just wanna go at night the first few times until i am comfortable.

>>35368483
Yeah, thank you! Patience is something I'm really struggling with, but I'll have to suck it up i guess.

>>35368484
Any specific videos you would recommend? There's so many.

>>35368489
Lel, you caught me. I was planning on starting this week though, not wait until New Years.
>>
>>35368483
Motivation is fickle. Discipline is eternal.
>>
File: BEST.png (92 KB, 1244x572) Image search: [Google]
BEST.png
92 KB, 1244x572
>>35368222
also read this.
Good bit of motivation.
>>
>>35368312

>and a snack (apple for example) if you're hungry

NOBODY takes snacks into the gym you fucking mongoloid.

Literally never seen it it 4 years of lifting.

>>35368222

Don't worry about it at all OP. Just make sure you take headphones. 90% of people in gyms are narcissistic as fuck and couldn't care less about anyone else there.

Also, pls be in Bronkoloffogilaberarantistinastikafontein.
>>
File: 1450539536875.png (611 KB, 596x595) Image search: [Google]
1450539536875.png
611 KB, 596x595
>>35368510
It's ok to ask someone but don't forget that people go there to workout.

You can try to film yourself or ask someone to and post it here or on Bodybuilding.com (the forum is way better than here) so that people can comment.
>>
File: well memed my friends.jpg (47 KB, 388x419) Image search: [Google]
well memed my friends.jpg
47 KB, 388x419
>>35368510
>Thanks so much for trying to motivate me. ;_;
>Are there any specific videos you could recommend I watch?
>I'm saving this whole thread and your advice, so just know that it really is appreciated.
No problem, Merry Christmas.

For the videos, the big three exercises - Squat, Deadlift and Bench Press - type in 'Starting Strength DVD' into PirateBay.

If you want you can read the entire book but I suggest you just watch the videos on that DVD, they are pretty straightforward and easy to follow with a great deal of knowledge thrown in there as well.

As for other exercise videos there's so many on youtube, just type in 'name of exercise' + proper form and it will generally be alright.

Do you already have a routine?
Do you already have some sort of a diet plan?

You need to answer BOTH of the above questions positively in order to get anywhere with this, really.

What are you end goals?
Be very specific with this as having very general goals will make you lose focus on what you really want.
>>
>>35368524
>energy
>>
>>35368510
>Thanks so much for trying to motivate me. ;_;

It's positively looked upon to post complimentary nudes after you've made it, as a way to give back to the community.
>>
File: teinshian.jpg (118 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
teinshian.jpg
118 KB, 1024x768
>>35368222
>mfw op weighs more than me
You ate too big c'mon op
>>
>>35368545
>Do you already have a routine?
>Do you already have some sort of a diet plan?
N-no I have neither, at the moment I'm just trying to get over my mental block when it comes to everything related to losing weight and getting fit. I don't even know where to start with one. God I'm gonna fail wont i

>What are you end goals?
I don't know at which weight I would look the best, so I guess just to get down to a weight I feel good at, can move in the same way I used to be able to and can finally wear cute clothes at.
>>
>>35368413
she needs metabolism nigga
>>
>>35368575
She's a woman and it's acceptable for them to have more fat

Just ask Jennifer Lawrence
>>
>>35368561
>post complimentary nudes after you've made it
to be honest, if I do really make it and the advice on here helped I would probably be down for that. just thinking that one day i might look a way that people would actually want to see naked (that aren't chubby chasers/'high test') is a pretty nice thought.
>>
>>35368360

dont leave humanity behind before you go the gym elephant

leave it behind in the gym!!!!!
>>
>>35368222
No one cares at the gym dude. Just go and lift. If you need help ask. It's just moving heavy shit.
>>
File: macride.jpg (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
macride.jpg
26 KB, 400x400
>>35368576
>N-no I have neither, at the moment I'm just trying to get over my mental block when it comes to everything related to losing weight and getting fit. I don't even know where to start with one. God I'm gonna fail wont i

Well if you think of it like that from the very start you might.

There is no easy way to do it. You just need to get out there and start working out and eating right.
One thing is to gather intel on HOW to do it from a theoretical standpoint, the other is pretty much 99% of the work, simply doing it day by day, week by week and so on.

Results will motivate you and you'll see how good it feels to look good soon enough.

You just need to actually begin right.

Those goals you named are pretty good, don't focus on numbers on a scale, just keep in mind that you want to wear cute shit and be comfortable with your body in a non 'fat is beautiful' kind of way.
>>
>>35368576
Alright listen up fucko. You get your ass to the gym and you workout. You lift. You do cardio. you go home. you eat healthy. Don't over complicate this shit alright?
Cause right now it seems like you're just looking for excuses and reasons to NOT start. So don't do that and instead hit the fucking gym.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 640x218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 640x218
>>35368588
>>
>>35368360
AUCKLAND
U
C
K
L
A
N
D
>>
>>35368588
confirmed for not nice grill
don't do that
>>
Bitch you don't even need to go to the gym, eat healthier, eat less and exercise. Like go for a jog a few times every week to start, if you are too shy to jog outside just run around your back garden or something, or up and down the stairs. Once you get more confident with your physique then you can worry about going to the gym if you want.
>>
>>35368524
What is pre-workout?
>>
>>35368222
>be man
>gym "community" supposedly exists
>first day inna gym
>mind my own fuckin business
>no one talks to me
>this continues for a year
>haven't talked to a single person in the gym since I started
>been making good progress
>only time I make contact with others is to ask if they're done or to help them up from a failed set

Seems like everyone in there knows each other and are friends, and then there's me who just comes in lifts and goes home, I noticed a couple others that do the same and they're the biggest people in the gym

Point is, you literally do not need to talk to people, you can look at yourself in the mirror to check form, ofcourse if youre worried about it ot are unsure how to adjust a quick "hey can you please check/correct my form" will do the trick, no one will say no
>>
Hey OP, if you pick a routine, and then study for videos on how to do those exercises, then do your best to mimic what you studies, your form will look better then 99% of the people in the gym. Most people dont go in and do fuck all then go home, they really don't put much thought into it
>>
>>35368360
>stretch marks
were you once pregnant or really really fat
>>
>>35368409
I feel like it would be fun to get to know you desu, you remind me a lot of some of my other friends.
my skype is willogn
>>
>>35370362
dear diary, today I learned about wordfilters
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.