[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is HIIT legit? I'm looking for some cardio that I can do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: hiit.jpg (74 KB, 940x638) Image search: [Google]
hiit.jpg
74 KB, 940x638
Is HIIT legit? I'm looking for some cardio that I can do at home in the winter months because it is too cold/icy to run and the only cardio equipment I have is an exercise bike, which doesn't really get my heart rate up that much. I'm lifting 3x a week, but I'm about 20 lbs overweight and I'm trying to get into a decent caloric deficit without starving myself.
>>
It is. Since I started doing lift, I've burnt fat and it has had a positive effect on my lifts too. It's also damn good exercise for calves. I recover so much quicker after sets nowadays than before. It's also a great feeling when you can run fast.
>>
>>35360941
it's sounds like bullshit because it only lasts like 20 min, but it's really fucking tiring, i've only done it on a treadmill though
>>
>>35360941
I used to walk on an incline but recent switched to HIIT on a stationary bike
>30 seconds on
>90 seconds off
I'll do 30 seconds with the bike resistance turned up to 15 trying to stay above 100 rpm going all out
Then rest 90 seconds with the bike on 5 resistance staying above 90 rpm

When you do the "sprints" make sure you get your ass off the seat and go all out
>tfw only did 10 minutes and my shirt was soaked and I felt like vomiting

10/10 would recommend
>>
>>35361134
This. I tried it 5 min ago, did 20seconds on 10 seconds off. After the first minute was soaked and I do cardio regularly.
>>
>>35360941

A friend of mine took his PhD(?) on hiit. Did three studies.

Conclusion were that it's wicked as fuck for old people (60-70 y/o).

Also, unless you're a top atlete, it will do wonders
>>
>>35360941
>>35361043
>>35361134

Actually studies show that lifting heavy beyond 1 or 2 rep benefits more from the aerobic than your anaerobic system. This is why I do LISS.

sources, studies and citations in link below

http://www.strengtheory.com/avoiding-cardio-could-be-holding-you-back/
>>
>>35361569
Lol I lift heavy as well bro
>>
>>35360941
yes, but most likely what you are doing is not HIIT

either way i recommend doing aerobics.

mountain climbers (i like to elevate my hands so i am fighting gravity to bring my knees up to my chest)
high knees
jumping lunges
burpees
jumping jacks

shit like that.

recenty i have taken to doing some of ido portal's movement patterns for low intensity cardio and flexibility training.
>>
>>35361477
>Also, unless you're a top atlete, it will do wonders
what do you mean with this?
>>
>>35361593
I know you probably do. Im saying that aerobic cardio(LISS) is better for lifting than HIIT judging from research.

Lifting weights and resting in between sets basically HIIT training anyways. LISS is less stressful and can also be done daily.
>>
>>35362146
Yeah bro lol I just recently added cardio this month. I'm a former fatty I used to weigh 290 Im195 now at 6'4
>inb4 skelly
Everyone always asks how much cardio did you do but truthfully I just lifted heavy everyday
>>
>>35361634
>>35360941

HIIT is simply hitting 90% of your VO2 max which will translate into a HR of around 180 or more.
If you're not busting your ass, you're not doing HIIT.
>>
>>35362171
its going to help your recovery in between sets and in between workouts. Youll also be able to get more reps in.

Most usually just do HIIT because they think the anaerobic pathway is the most important for lifting weights but its just not true.
>>
>>35362184
But lifting weights perfectly mimics that (a HIIT session). So why do HIIT on top of HIIT when you can get a better aerobic base with LISS (unless you dont have time to do it which is one reason HIIT cardio is favored over LISS)
>>
>>35362208
That's good cuz after New Years I plan on "lean bulking" and hopefully filling out my 6'4 Slav Frame a little
>tfw just want my lower fat pouch to be gone with
>tfw I don't even want abs just a flat stomach
>tfw my fat pouch is almost gone soooo fucking close
>tfw everyone on /fit/ said it was loose skin
>tfw the more weight I loose the smaller it's getting
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.