[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is lumosity good for brain-gains? I'v been using it for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12
File: unnamed.png (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
28 KB, 300x300
is lumosity good for brain-gains? I'v been using it for a month, it seems sort of trivial.
>>
Just read bro.
>>
>brain-gains

No such thing.
>>
>>35321576
no it's pseudo-science and has been proven to be so

did you seriously spend money on that without researching it? i feel bad for you wasting your time
>>
>>35321608
It's free, membership allows for extra features.
>>
>>35321576
Read. Only way to train the brain is to use it.
>>
>>35321636
>>35321594
I assume reading an image-board doesn't count.
:^)
>>
>>35321636
>>35321594
Reading doesn't make you more intelligent. You'll never improve your g scores unless you actively learn how to cheat on IQ tests.

Intelligence is the height of genetics.

Brainlets, not even once.
>>
Studies have been done basically showing all that Lumosity teaches you how to do well/better are the games at Lumosity.

If you want to be among the best players of the games of Lumosity, go for it.

If you want to think better, just read books.
>>
>>35321652
You won't increase you iq.
You will become more educated and develop more complex thought patterns, reasoning abilities, and critical thinking skills.

Its not the size of your IQ, its how you use it.
>>
>>35321673
>You will become more educated and develop more complex thought patterns, reasoning abilities, and critical thinking skills.

Nope.

Have fun deluding yourself, though.
>>
>>35321652
You can't improve your intellect but you should never stop learning.
>>
Study the mechanics behind language, mathematics, physics, cryptology, and attempt to discern patterns within our world.

Study human interaction, anatomy, chemisty, biology, and artificial intelligence. Learn how to program on computers, etc.

IQ is the measure of finding patterns, and all of the above things will aid you in the ability.

You should also work on improving memory. Build a house in your mind, then build a town, then build a castle which governs that town, then build a district of towns, etc. Have each house in each town be very detailed, remember the bricking of the houses, the type of furniture inside of each hose, etc. Assign memories to each object to help remember them better.
>>
>>35321676
I'm blown away by the argumentative techniques of this true intellectual. 2deep4me.
>>
>>35321676
Guess we better close the world's schools then, since that's literally what they exist to achieve. Retard.
>>
>>35321652
>Reading doesn't make you more intelligent.

This is inherently false. Not only does reading make you more intelligent, there is a direct correlation between reading and many facets of a well-functioning mind, including reasoning, vocabulary, and communication skills.
>>
>>35321704

You're actually not too far off. Studies have indicated that quality of schooling has no effect on intelligence or life outcomes past a very low threshold of quality.
>>
>>35321715
But they do educate you. Which is the point being made.
>>
>>35321731

Learning how to be a good goy isn't an education.
>>
>>35321576
It's the SS of mental gains.
>>
>>35321741
Some courses are great if the student doesn't have a shitty marxist teacher.
90% of teachers are progressive brain washing instruments however.
I had philosophy and history with a teacher who was completely neutral and learned a fuck ton.
>>
>>35321697
do you actually do any of these things
>>
>>35321707
>yfw 4chan is nothing but reading
So how come we aren't all fucking Einsteins solving the world's problems instead of a bunch of retarded meat heads sitting in our underwear and masturbating to pictures of each others asses?
>>
>>35321779
This is b8.
>>
>>35321783
>implying
>>35320577
>>
>>35321779
What you read has to have substance.
>>
File: 81B4B2VWQxL._SL1360_.jpg (229 KB, 893x1360) Image search: [Google]
81B4B2VWQxL._SL1360_.jpg
229 KB, 893x1360
This is now a book thread.
Post what you're reading.
>>
>>35321779
Because the quality of material to read on /fit/ is garbage and totally unstimulating, mentally.

It's actually made worse by memes, which people save, modify, and post thoughtlessly.
>>
>>35321576
Peak and Elevate are better just because the skills you use are usually more applicable to real life. Beyond that there's interrupted memorization and dual-n-back.
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (244 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
244 KB, 1920x1200
>>35321815
Pic related. all day err day.
>>
>>35321576
Just read. Lumosity is just for masturbation to convince yourself you're doing something good.
>>
I think luminosity has been thoroughly trashed. Just do dual nback, practice mental math, and make an Anki deck of everything you want to remember.
>>
Learning a language is good too and has real life applications too obviously.
>>
>>35321676
Are you seriously arguing against reading?
>>
>eat well
>workout
>socialize
>read

thats it
>>
Dual N-back has been extensively researched and definitely improves IQ. Whether that improves g overall remains to be seen, but doing dual or higher n-back definitely improves your working memory and your IQ.

Dual n-back is a simple concept and there are open source apps for every platform that do it. You won't need to spend any money and you'll see results pretty noticeably IME.

There's a good survey paper for brain gains called "Non-phaermacological Cognitive Enhancement", it's from a few years ago at this point so you might want to read it and then follow up with your own research.

There are genetic components to intelligence, but it's definitely trainable. For one, you might not be at your best genetic intelligence; for another, practicing any task improves performance, and of you pick the right tasks, you can develop skills that might address a genetic limitation.
>>
guys I'm 24 and haven't gone to college yet... how fucked am I?

i want to at least go to a community college in the fall so my life has a chance of not sucking endless cock.
>>
>>35322943
Not that bad. I'm 25 and failed out of college. At least you're not in debt.
>>
>>35321576
Luminosity is a scam. Read some philosophy or history for brain gains.
>>
>>35322943
You're not fucked at all. Just actually go to college like you say you will. People's biggest problem with going to college is actually going. I know plenty of people that say "just taking a year or two off school" then never go back. If you attend college in fall of 2016, you'll be 28 when you finish assuming you go for a bachelor's. Or you might even finish by age 26 if you do a technical program with computers or automotive repair or something.
>>
Read scholarly materials. Not potato chip shit like celebrity magazines.
>>
File: 1449327629194.jpg (15 KB, 600x437) Image search: [Google]
1449327629194.jpg
15 KB, 600x437
>>35322957
>>35322995

thanks /fit/.

my problem is just getting STARTED.
I've lived my whole life afraid of making big choices and essentially let family make them for me.

I'm doing it this time around fuck being a loser, I know I can be smart if I apply myself.

I've really considered suicide on and off for years because I feel like such a burden on my family.

but what I would really like to do is get some decent cash and help them out when they need it.

sorry for the feels bros
>>
Use Khan Academy my man
>>
>>35323737
Gotcha senpai desu
>>
>>35324179
Don't. Go to /sci/ and read the sticky and go over to textbooks and download them.
>>
>>35324295
i want to suck your dick (no homo)
>>
File: meathead literature.jpg (2 MB, 3296x2840) Image search: [Google]
meathead literature.jpg
2 MB, 3296x2840
>>35321652
>>Intelligence is the height of genetics.
mmmh not exactly. It's the result of a mixture of genetics, environmental factors and nutrition. I assure you that if Einstein's sons were raised in the poorest region of Mauritania with the worst nutritional deprivation and teached by niggers, you won't notice a single difference between them and the surrounding niggers.

Also, aside from the psycho-blabbers who studied intelligence and IQ scores among the white and black population, there are actual neuroscientist (leaded by the Nobel prize Levi-Montalcini) who studied how the brain has plastic capabilities. Like a muscle, if you train it you'll have gains.

Not that lumosity actually helps with this. You should really challenge your brain with actual study and studying new things every day (e.g. a new language, a new unrelated science - for an engineer it could be law, for an artist it could be how to program in C). This kind of stuff keeps your brain plasticity and keep it receptive.

There was a free as in freedom lumosity-alike site developed by Oxford university IIRC but really, just develop new interests.
>>
File: unnamed.png (98 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
98 KB, 300x300
I didn't like Luminosity because you have to keep paying for it $14.95/month

I use Hear & Spell app (free) from my spelling and Mind Games (free) app for math problem solving.

I have noticed a big difference in my problem solving skills and spelling.
>>
>>35324527
it was hard to not read this in a southern accent after you said teached instead of taught
>>
>>35324527
Dear sir I'm doing civil engineering and I'm decentish when dealing with patterns and such. What would you say is/are the best things to study for me?
>>
File: contagion-image-6.jpg (2 MB, 4256x2832) Image search: [Google]
contagion-image-6.jpg
2 MB, 4256x2832
I bought a lifetime membership a while back and never used it once. If anyone's interested let me know and I'll sell it for cheap if email transfer is safe or whatever
>>
>>35324626
Mathematics.

See >>>/sci/ sticky.
>>
File: 1385308408767.jpg (23 KB, 285x288) Image search: [Google]
1385308408767.jpg
23 KB, 285x288
>>35324527

This. The true brainlets are those who really do think the power and utility of their brain is an inherently static thing beyond their control, and therefore never invest effort into learning how to use the thing properly and cultivate its power.

Agreed that lumosity is pretty shit though. Signed up for an account back in college, wound up getting randomly pulled into a 6-month research project where they gave me the full version free on the condition that I used it daily and reported periodically on my results. Admittedly, I did feel a bit sharper, but the brain gains from that got B L O W N T H E F U C K O U T by the gains that happened some time after when I was off the brain games and took up a meditation practice along with a memory skills (tricks using memory palaces) hobby.
>>
File: smug0.jpg (13 KB, 252x276) Image search: [Google]
smug0.jpg
13 KB, 252x276
>>35324666
>Satan shilling for /sci/
>tells laymen to start with Apostol or babby Rudin
>>
>>35321779

Anon it has been brought to my attention your lack inclusion of waifus is quite underwhelming.
>>
File: 8f1.png (37 KB, 656x822) Image search: [Google]
8f1.png
37 KB, 656x822
>>35322482

It's amazing how many anons fall for prime time b8 now and then.

Here's a meme.
>>
>>35324724

Memory palaces? Pls explain, if you would. thx.
>>
>>35323403

INTF anon.

Do whatever you want to accomplish and do it NOW.

Don't wait till tomorrow get things done asa you set your mind to it and stop any dicking around habits that keep you from accomplishments whether it's vidya, friends, le gf (or fap whatever) and get Shit done and over with.

Take it from an anon whose younger (20) and has dicked around for the first year in college and got my aid halted cuz fuck my lazy ass and all, I'm looking to kick all my shit habits and start anew myself.

Godspeed anon and remember the words of a wise man:

>DO IT.
>>
>>35321815
>got 10 books for $1 at a clearance sale
>finished Formal Language Theory and Viscoelasticity
>have yet to start on Henry the Fourth
How do I into Shakespeare, /flit/?
>>
>>35325243
dont read it, perform it. its a play not a goddamn story book
>>
>>35325186
not the same anon
moonwalking with einstein
can get from teh internet from free
>>
>>35321715
mind to share with the aforementioned studies? i have access to most scientific article databases, so please dont hold back
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.