[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1 LB of fat doesn't = 3500 calories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_0549web.jpg (80 KB, 500x671) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0549web.jpg
80 KB, 500x671
For some reason I decided to search how many calories are in 1 lb of fat and found this: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/standalone/1lb-does-not-equal-3500-calories/

Is this site a joke or something?
At 1st I kinda bought into it, thinking maybe she's on to something. Then I decided to crunch some numbers. I decided to calculate how many calories are in 1 lb of canola oil (pretty much pure fat) and came up with 3 887 calories. Not too far off from the 3 500 she's claiming isn't how many calories in 1 LB of fat.

(According to the USDA and various other sources, Canola oil = 857 calories per 100 grams)

So am I smarter than some one with a PHD or is she full of shit/marketing BS?
>>
>>35311888
Is this subject too scholarly for 4chan or something?
>>
>>35311888
Are you comparing human fat to canola oil?
>>
>>35313498
Yes. Fat is fat--Be it from humans, animals or plants.
According to all credible sources I can find (which includes USDA and Harvard); 1 gram of fat = about 9 calories. If you take 453 grams of fat (human, animal, whatever the source) it equates to... 4 082 calories per pound of fat. Be it human fat, animal fat, what ever fat you wish to dream of.
>>
>>35311888
Just read it.
Her complaint that
>"One of the most commonly held diet myths is "To lose one pound of fat you need to create a deficit of 3,500 calories". This is wrong at every level. First of all, one pound does not equal 3,500 calories, as we will show below."
First off, no shit.
Second, estimating the calories of anything is only going to be an estimate. Check it: http://www.businessinsider.com/calorie-counts-arent-accurate-2013-7
Thirdly, the reason calories on labels are semi-fixed is that people who are counting calories, for whatever purpose, can make adjustments based on their goals.

So is the site a joke? I didn't go past the linked page. But my estimate is that she is mad that these things aren't Very Accurate and has been gaining weight without a proper diet nor proper exercise.

FYI, science is learning that not all brotiens, carbs, and fats are created the same (which in turn has different effects)
>>
>>35313649
Sources please. I'd like to check em
>>
File: 1448636257306.jpg (78 KB, 966x723) Image search: [Google]
1448636257306.jpg
78 KB, 966x723
>>35313649
so youre claiming that a cup of human fat is equivalent to a cup of canola oil?

yes, youre quite the scholar
>>
File: 1448210455991.gif (481 KB, 499x315) Image search: [Google]
1448210455991.gif
481 KB, 499x315
Her main argument is that a lb of human body fat can vary in how much energy lb can carry (2900-3700cal) basically

but if a lb of fat is on the low end (2900cal) for someone, it should be easier to lose that lb of fat. ie, only need to do 2900 cals-worth of energy expenditure to lose a lb.

this makes fatties and the obese even lazier because supposedly they need to do even less work to lose weight than previously thought.

>i am ok with this

so thats a good thing?
>>
>>35313686
>>35313671
You guys are retarded, no even op here, but thats a basic rule in EVERY FUCKING PLACE about nutrition, wether u find in fitness websites or nutrition or whatever.... Fucking mongoloids, 1gram carbs = 4 calories, 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, 1 gram of fat = 9 calories
>buh muh sourcez
Go find them and put them up ur ass, fucking mongs
>>
>being this autistic

OP you dumb piece of shit. One lb of surgically removed human fat contains collagen and water. Those lipocytes need a intra- and extracellular structure to exist. One lb of vegetable oil is 98-99% fatty acid.
>>
>>35312495
>being this mong
>>
>>35313705
You didn't even read the link OP put up did you.
>>
>>35313722
>implying human bodies don't just store fat as olive oil in a tank in your belly

Liposuction is literally just sticking a spigot in your navel.
>>
>>35313798
>olive oil
Canola. Please, this is science.

Once again, someone asking for citations on "common knowledge" is attacked. Never change, /fit/.
>>
>>35313705
1 cup of canola oil and 1 cup of human do not weigh the same. Canola oil is more dense than human fat.
>>
>>35313705
Bodyfat is not 100% pure dietary fat you fucking retard
>>
>>35311888
You are not considering that "human fat" is not just fat stored there, human fat are cells that store fat that have water (plus all the other things that cells have like proteins, nitrogenated bases, etc, etc)
so the fat that 1 pound of human fat tissue is around 87% of the pound as the article that you mention says, so you are wrong assuming that 1 pound of canola oil eqquals 1 pound of human fat tissue.
>>
>>35314322
and if you assume that the calories of the kind of fat that 1 pound of human fat tissue has it would be 3384 calories per pound of human fat tissue
>>
>>35314335
ยจ*the kind of fat that the pound of human tissue has is the same as the canola oil
>>
>>35314322
Not to mention that human fat gets stored as either white adipose or brown adipose tissue and both have different functions
>>
>>35314360
>segregation

The body is a fucking racist
>>
>>35314296
The original comparison was a weight measurement not a volume measurement
>>
Is this so hard to grasp?
Are /fit patrons really this stupid?

Obviously, the weight we lose through exercise includes fat, some connective tissue/intercellucar matrix. That's to say, if we burn true and honest 3500kcal from fat (having used our glycogen/circulating fatty acids/whatnot) we lose MORE than 1 lb of body weight
>>
>>35311888

>sells diets
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.