[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Novice have more tonnage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1449771676618.jpg (45 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449771676618.jpg
45 KB, 500x500
Have you guys noticed that Novice programs like 3x5 and 5x5 have a shit more total volume and tonnage moved weekly than stuff like Texas Method or Madcows?

Im doing ICF now with powercleans added and this shit is way harder than SS 3x5
I feel like my overall work capacity and endurance has improved.

Ill be squatting alone more than 23,000 pounds a week once I get my squat back to 315x5x5 with clean ass form.
>>
Lets talk about this
>>
>>35274077
i thought ICF was a novice program..
>>
i just switched to madcows from SS and i feel so much better. SS was kicking my ass towards the end.
>>
File: routine.png (164 KB, 1835x1029) Image search: [Google]
routine.png
164 KB, 1835x1029
>american programmers consider 5x5 a "volume" day

kek
>>
>>35274416
It is but the total workload and exercises done are far more than intermediate programs.
>>
>>35274474
That looks really complicated. What is it
>>
>>35274474
Give me a program that has more volume than true repax straight set 5x5s minus warmups.
>>
>>35274727
Sheiko. It's not complicated. It says what days you train, what exercises you should do and what reps and sets. What more do you need?
>>
>>35274773
Rep max I mean. 85 percent of 1 rm for straight sets of 5x5 is way more volume than this >>35274474. Im not even counting warmups and ancillary exercises
>>
>>35274077
that's actually pretty interesting. did you calculate that as reps x sets x percentage of one rep max?

i'll make the switch to the texas method from ss not in much time and every time somebody would say that the texas method volume day would kick their ass, i'd think to myself that it couldn't possibly be harder than squatting heavy 3 times a week.
>>
>>35274892
Lets take the squat and Starting Strength. 315x3x5=4725 total. Now take Stronglifts or ICF 5x5. 315x5x5=7875 total.

Thats HUGE. And just one exercise.
>>
>>35274802
It isn't more volume. That week had me doing 80 repetitions of squats and a little over 12000kg of volume, that is without counting accessories such as pin squats or leg press.

If I did a texas method sort of setup I'd be doing somewhere in the realm of 7000-8000kg of volume and the rep quality would be much lower.
>>
>>35274474
>those weights
You're weak as hell, why are you fucking around with Sheiko?
>>
>>35275059
That's defiantly kgs m8.
>>
>>35275059
They're in kilograms, lad.

I weigh about 85 kilo.
>>
>>35275137
Oh, well God damn m8.
>>
>>35274892
The volume day in TM is easy in the beginning since its not a 5rm percentage. Its %80 of the ONE set you do Friday which is supposed to be a true 5rm pr. People usually dont start Texas Method with there last Starting STRENGTH PRs. Its usually best to deload for the new program a bit and work back up and past your old numbers. My opinion is if you came off a 5x5 novice program the Texas Method volume day would be even easier. Yet most ignore total volume in favor of max strength.
>>
>>35274474
Is this kind of routine best for advanced lifters?
>>
>>35275151
Eh, they're alright lifts. There are people far, far stronger than me, especially given that I train for strength and have been training with barbells nearly seven years.

Check out some of the lads in /plg/ like Bodorio, Steamrolan and Virtus if you want to see real crazy strength.
>>
>>35275175
How long does it take you to get through your workouts?
>>
>>35275054
Oh ok. Youre pretty strong dude. Anyways my point was why not stick to a novice high volume routine? Everything is there. A good amount of exercise selection. A good amount of total volume which is being made through doing rep sets of 5 or lower and good frequency. Yeah, I know you wont be able to add weight every workout but you could if you kept on hitting them till all your sets and reps were fairly fast and clean.
>>
>>35275175
Would an intermediate lifter benefit from sheiko?
>>
>>35275192
Two hours if I don't get bothered or distracted.

>>35275244
I am not saying this is true for everyone, but the reason I prefer the sheiko style of programming is two fold A) it teaches me patience, I dont retest maxes for approximately four months at a time. I spend more time building strength and technique with submaximal weights than testing my strength like I was doing (or attempting to do) every friday on texas method and B) I have not had any injuries or proclivities to injuries doing a lower % program, I feel safer and never feel the need for a spotter or that I am close to hurting myself.

Again, these are personal preferences, not universal facts.

>>35275263
http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/

you can find info there. specifically under the 3 day program forum. I didn't run sheiko until I had totaled 560kg at 83kg, so I have zero idea how it would work as an intermediate.
>>
>>35274474
Would you be able to do 182kgx5x5 3 days a week?
>>
>>35275338
for any appreciable time? nah. I might be able to do a week or two if I ate and slept like a madman, but I think I would quickly run myself down.
>>
here are some of the crazy stronger people I mentioned, what's great is that all three of them train in vastly different ways... just goes to show there are many ways to strength!

steamrolan in particular has used a 5x5 approach for long periods of time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZgbo2DXxe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46eBGMq4Yc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyv3VY_fH-c
>>
>>35275425
Ive never seen someone do such a lopsided 1rm benchpress attempt and still finish.

Rolan has some clean ass lifts too
>>
File: smugviking.jpg (53 KB, 481x469) Image search: [Google]
smugviking.jpg
53 KB, 481x469
>>35274474
warmup sets don't count
>>
>>35275023
but honestly, you're comparing trainees of different strength
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.