[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck shoulders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: 1449577329310.jpg (90 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
1449577329310.jpg
90 KB, 900x563
Most people say you need to bench with bar down go touch your chest. No matter what i do with form, weight, or stretching, I still can't do it. About 2-3 inches above the chest feels perfect

So my question is why do people say go all the way down with bench, but with pushups you never see people touch chest to floor or recommend that

(Inb4 half reps ego lifter)
>>
If your form is right it should be easy to touch your chest
>>
Because most people have their head closer to the ground when doing push ups.

Just move your hands further apart when doing bench, and lower the weight a bit.
>>
>>35256207

Pushups allow for scapular movement and require a straight torso. Neither of these are what you want when benching.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (22 KB, 294x400) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
22 KB, 294x400
>>35256217
>>
because your heads in the way if you pushup.
>>
I always touch the bar to my lower chest and do a gradual diagonal motion. My friend always stops a few inches above his chest and moves the bar straight up and down over his neck/collarbone. What will be different in our results?
>>
>>35256451
He will decapitate himself.
>>
>>35256207
>but with pushups you never see people touch chest to floor or recommend that

what. you push yourself off the ground and lower yourself back to the ground and you lift your hands off of it every rep. that's how you do proper non-pussy pushups.
>>
>>35256577
Not while I'm spotting hopefully, but that would get real awkward real fast.
>>
>>35256207
you mean to say you can't bench an empty bar to your chest? you must have some fucked up mobility or maybe you just gripping the bar too narrow/wide mate
>>
>>35256207
>Most people say you need to bench with bar down go touch your chest

No, just 90% m8
>>
Uhh like I said I have tried many different form variations on form and such
>>
>>35256622
> using hands for push ups
Nice meme
>>
Athlene-x dude says benching to your chest with closer grips will only strain certain ligaments unnecessarily, taking weight off the muscles, and causing joint damage. He recommends bringing your arms parallel to your lats, unless you're benching like a powerlifter (wider grip). Since I've followed his philosophy, the bench has been way more comfortable for me, and I've brought my grip in closer (as to focus on my arms). Do what works for you, honestly not worth fucking up your shoulder mobility. Fuck what people say, half rep is better than no rep.
>>
>>35256668
Like I said usually 2 inches away which is probably about 90% but maybe it's just broscience but I always get "if you don't touch the chess its a half rep"

Maybe I just need to stop taking shit from BB.com seriously. Jk.. But honestly I hear that fucking everywhere
>>
>>35256207
I never go lower than 90 degrees but that is because I like my rotator cuffs.
>>
File: Masters-Project-037.jpg (1 MB, 3086x2247) Image search: [Google]
Masters-Project-037.jpg
1 MB, 3086x2247
Is your chest sticking up like this or do you have flat back?
>>
>>35256685
>falling for the dick-ups meme
LMAO
>>
>>35256668
Toughing your chest gives you a bit of rest between reps , not toughing it is harder since you are not resting the weights anywhere
>>
First off faggits, don't let it touch your chest and don't lock out your arms. You have to keep the muscles under stress to build it. Do 3sets of 10 where the bar is right above your upper chest and then another 3sets of 10 for the lower part of your chest then switch to decline and do the same then after switch to incline. In no time you will have a nice massive chest
>>
>>35256700
Doesn't stick up that much but not flat

Even on decline bench I can't touch. It's easier, but doesn't feel right.
>>
>>35256710

You still have to support the weight when its touching your chest. Letting it rest unsupported is a good way to bruise a rib.
>>
>>35256754
Eh I see lots of people do this

If you set it down gently and aren't benching 350 plus for reps (inb4 50 anons say they do) it probably wont do that much

If you slowly building the weight up I feel like your body can adapt, up to a point, as said above

I've seen fat fucks benching 400+ and actually bouncing it off their lower chest (of stomach... Lol) and *seem* to be fine
>>
>>35256451
He will get shoulder impingement.
You're supposed to touch the barbell on your lower chest so your shoulders aren't at a right angle
>>
>>35257214

Less fine and more just used to the pain.

Even doing it with relatively light weight damn well hurts, from personal experience.
>>
You get the full motion and if you can go all he way down u have proper form
>>
>>35256207
>can't touch my chest

Senpai, your pectorals are too tight possible muscle imbalance. Are you a recovering curl bro? I'd recommend face pulls 3x a week and foam rolling your chest.
>>
>>35257229
That makes sense. The movement seems a lot less natural feeling. Is it easier to move more weight that way though? I feel like the change in position increases difficulty, but I don't want to do a lift in bad form to test it.
>>
>>35257283
>is it easier to move more weight that way
Its easier to deadlift more weight with a scared cat back when you start, doesn't mean you should do it.
Train technique not ego
>>
>>35256725
>that much
>implying that's not a minimal bend
>>
>>35256207
I agree familia, it's mostly manlets who propagate this 'touch your chest' meme, because they have such short reach they easily can. For anyone of normal height you just need to go parallel.
>>
>>35257839
He speaks the truth. Manlets and fatty fatty boom booms who bounce it from theirs jelly bellies
>>
>>35256451
Your friend will wreck his shoulders.
>>
>>35258029
>>35257839
>>35256694
>>35256695
learn to bench properly desu senpai
>>
File: 1428539596278.jpg (41 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1428539596278.jpg
41 KB, 512x384
>>35258398
>manlet detected
>>
>>35256207
Because muh powerlifting.

For you it's OK to do what feels right.
>>
File: aD3vwe7_460s.jpg (35 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
aD3vwe7_460s.jpg
35 KB, 460x345
>>35258398
>>
File: welcome.gif (3 MB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
welcome.gif
3 MB, 450x253
>>35258555
>>
>lanklet can't do exercise right
>blames manlets
Sounds about right
>>
Most people who can't touch chest flare too much and have the bar almost over their neck. Lower the bar down diagonally to your nips(or slightly lower) and push up diagonally towards your head. Don't forget to retract your scapula and pull back your shoulders. Flaring your elbows too much and doing half-reps is more stressfull to your shoulders than doing a correct bench press.
>>
>>35256207
Your form might be a little off, didn't bother to read the whole thread but the bar should touch the lower part of your chest, it's a more natural shoulder movement. If you do that and still can't touch your chest I probably wouldn't worry about it. You aren't a professional lifter and you aren't half repping, I'd say you're fine.
>>
>>35257273
I do about 80 minutes on my back bicep day and 60 for chest/shoulders/tricep day to try to help this. Been doing that only about 4 months though

Sort of used to be a curlbro in highschool. Did probably 3/2/1 - push/pull/legs (as far as time/effort spent) but that was 5 years ago and just started lifting 6 months ago, my chest and tris get them crazy noob gainz, while my back and bis especially lag behind a lot.
>>
>>35256451
Your friend will see better pecs development and will fuck his shoulder up. You will work your tris more than your pecs and may wreck your elbows (it's not super common but still a possibility)
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.