[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm finding it hard to eat healthy on the cheap. A typical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 1449690366036.jpg (86 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1449690366036.jpg
86 KB, 800x600
I'm finding it hard to eat healthy on the cheap. A typical grocery list for me is:

>chicken hotdogs, $1 pack of 12
80cal, 2g fat, 4g protein per weiner
>dried turkey sticks, $10 pack of 12
60cal, 1g fat, 4g protein per stick
>chicken breast, $8 for three big breasts
One of those breasts gives me two meals. I cut them into cubes and bread and fry them
>frozen mixed vegetables, $3 a bag
Lasts 3 or 4 meals.
>frozen broccoli, $3 a bag
Lasts 3 or 4 meals.
>giant cucumbers, $1 each
As a snack, 1 lasts me a whole day
>boxes of oatmeal, $2 a box of 12 packets
150cal, 2g fat, 4g protein a pack

My caloric intake is around 1200 a day, most of this is protein. I'm finding my diet is costing me $35 or so a week. I'm 5'7 female around 180lbs, TDEE is 2400. I go to the gym daily for cardio and lift three times a week (legs Mon, arms/shoulders Wed, chest/back Fri). I've lost about 3lbs a week since I started but is there anything here that can be improved?
>>
eat more lift more
>>
Typical daily meals is:

>breakfast
Multivitamin, B-complex pill, 2 turkey sticks, 1/4 cucumber
>lunch
2 packs oatmeal, chicken hotdog fried, 1/4 cucumber
>dinner
Half chicken breast fried, chicken hotdog fried, 2 cups boiled veggies
>snacks throughout the day
Rest of cucumber, a banana or two

I'm poor so I'm trying to get what's inexpensive, but at the same time want to keep protein as high as I can.
>>
>>35248373
>'giant' cucumbers
>"as a snack"
Suuuuuuuure
>>
>>35248420

Forgot to add, but all I drink is water or aloe juice.
>>
>>35248373

Canned beans
Cheaper cuts of chicken
Lean beef
Pork
>>
>>dried turkey sticks, $10 pack of 12
>why is it so expensive to eat healthy!!!
lel
>>
File: 1402620146556.jpg (913 KB, 1218x2643) Image search: [Google]
1402620146556.jpg
913 KB, 1218x2643
>>35248373
Drop turkey, add eggs, beans, noodles
>>
>>35248506
Can't do those bullshit frozen veggies. Any alternative to those?
>>
>>35248587
Fresh peas, broccoli, spinach, collard and salad greens are your friend
>>
>>35248605
What about brussel sprouts? I've learned that I really enjoy them. I haven't made my own spinach/collards yet. Maybe its time I give it a try.
Thanks for the reply, I'll link you the best broccoli recipe that I currently know in return.

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html
>>
>>35248587

...Quit being a faggot and eat them?

Your health is bigger than your preferences.
>>
How much chicken? Get a food scale.
>>
>>35248627
I'm talking about the cheaper fresh veggies, not not eating them homo. I don't know how you guys can eat that frozen, squishy flavorless bullshit.
>>
>>35248631

Each bag varies. I get 600g for $7.xx and split it up. Each day varies 50-80g. Is this too little?

>>35248470

I was looking at the calories, friend.
>>
File: 1400468293408.jpg (923 KB, 1284x2553) Image search: [Google]
1400468293408.jpg
923 KB, 1284x2553
>>35248624
Thanks breh, I'm no chef so I usually just eat plain steamed broc. Never even thought of sprouts cause I think they're disgusting. I usually mix 10-15g of spinach in with 4 eggs and put some collard in a fruit/greek yogurt smoothie. I don't really care for veggies if you couldn't tell.
>>
>>35248506

>4 pints of milk a day

If you want to become a lardwhale, follow this advice OP.
>>
>>35248643

Frozen vegetables have much more vitamins and minerals. 15 minutes of eating squishy flavorless bullshit for an entire day of better health/performance is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
>>
>>35248660
Better believe that I'm gonna make my wife cook that steak recipe. For some reason, she has the magic touch when it comes to steaks and getting them right to medium rare. I used to hate most all veggies too, until I learned how to cook them. The way they are cooked really makes a HUGE difference.

>>35248700
You say frozen has more vitamins that fresh? Really?
>>
>>35248725
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/frozen-vegetables-nutritious-fresh-study-article-1.174469

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/fresh_vs_frozen_vegetables_are_we_giving_up_nutrition_fo

http://www.livestrong.com/article/71064-fresh-versus-frozen-produce-which-healthier/
>>
>>35248373
>processed, prepacked foods
>healthy

are you fucking dense OP?
>>
>>35248751
Hm, interesting.
I won't ever give up fresh veggies completely but I may have to keep a few bags on hand from now on.
>>
File: IMG011.jpg (954 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG011.jpg
954 KB, 2592x1944
OP here, example meal (this is my lunch).

40g Chicken, salt and pepper, fried in butter
1/3 cup mixed vegetables, fried in butter and soya sauce
>>
>>35248751
Lol, your first link was to a news article that references another news article that supposedly references a "study". Weak as shit.

That being said it wouldn't surprise me if there were a small amount of "nutrients" (What a vague, useless term) lost from freezing them. Which you could just make up for by eating slightly more, and that's assuming there is some sort of glaring deficiency in your diet which is by no means certain.

OR you could just continue eating your frozen vegies, which depending on where you live probably cost less per kg, not even factoring in the likelihood that there will be some wastage buying fresh.
>>
>>35248798
Yeah there's nothing wrong with that.

I buy some fresh veggies but I buy frozen corn and green beans and shit. I make a lot of stir fry veggies with liquid aminos.

>I can't help you with your diet I'm a fucking vegetarian you don't want my tips/meals
>>
>>35248838
maybe it's just the ligthing but jesus fuck that looks grim
>>
>>35248966
The chicken actually looks tasty.

>>35248932
I like veggie recipes. Something as part of a meal, not the whole thing though. Hell, I'd try a few vegetarian meals too. Not like I have to have meat in all of my meals.
>>
>>35248373
Looks like my ex

Fuck I miss her.
>>
>>35248373
>cardio
What do you do and for how long?

You could get more protein from beans and other complex carbs but you'll need to lift more and do serious cardio and not 10 min fast walks on the treadmill
>>
>>35249102

I'm on the elliptical for 30min, I also jumprope 30min a day.
>>
>>35248995
I dunno this is one of my favorite things

http://www.justataste.com/homemade-falafel-with-tahini-sauce/

My food processor sucks though, and I didn't buy tahini cause it was expensive

I make my own salad dressing a lot too so I can leave out sugar and other things. I don't know how much that would save tho. (I actually make my own ketchup top)

There's a similar recipe I made a lot only its lie salmon patties you could try. Just google homemade salmon patty if you're interested. I used to make them when I was pescatarian and they were pretty good.
>>
>>35248373
Holy shit that looks just like my gf, except the overly think thighs, her's are firmer.
>>
>>35249142
Thanks veggie bro.
>>
>>35249113
Fair enough

- Did you calculate the convenience of buying protein powder?
- You can buy ground beef. Usually cheap but has some fat on it that you don't want. What you do is put it in a pan, cook it, and drain the excess fat that melts
- You can buy subproducts as chicken gizzards, etc.
- You can buy whole chickens, and learn to cut it yourself. Its way cheaper and the leg meat is the same as the breast meat, just make sure that you remove the excess fat. Literally tons of yourtube videos and it's easy as fuck once you have done a couple of them (also, the bones are good for soups)
>>
>>35249212

I haven't considered protein powder. Is it a meal replacement or? I'm chubby, I need to cut a little bit, or at least turn this fat into muscle.
>>
>>35248506
>this infograph diet
I guess its good if you weight 90 pounds and are trying to learn how to eat more.
>>
>>35249364
It does not replaces any meal, but helps you reaching the amount of protein that you need if you are not getting enough for whatever reason.

But in your case I would just buy whole chickens and learn to cut them. It's way cheaper than getting just the breasts. And chicken is chicken, it's not like the breast protein is going to be different or better than the one on the thighs
>>
>>35249160
I swear tho I tell everyone this but get a pinterest. You type in cheap healthy whatever (chicken recipes, veggie recipes whatever) and find all kinds of shit.

I made one when I switched my diet because the only vegetarian thing I knew how to make was a salad. Totally saved my ass.
>>
>>35248373
buy whole chickens and cook two at a time ... they are much cheaper. use the carcasses to make homemade chicken soup with those frozen veggies. reduce reuse recycle homey.
dont get chicken hot dogs, also buy old fashioned oat meal in bulk its cheaper and has less additives and cals. also if this is all you eat how do you not get bored and binge??? sub chicken for pork chops or something once in a while. pork is cheap as fuck
>>
>>35248373
Where do you live? That changes prices a lot.

Also, listen to them>>35248776>>35249558
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.