[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My dad asked me if I could show him how to do some exercises
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: old man.jpg (52 KB, 628x418) Image search: [Google]
old man.jpg
52 KB, 628x418
My dad asked me if I could show him how to do some exercises at the gym. I've been lifting for two years, so I have some experience, but definitely don't know everything there is to know about strength training, dieting, etc.

What to do I have to be aware of when training an older person? Basically, what differences are there between a 70 year old man and a 20 year old man when it comes to how to effectively, and safely, build muscle and strength?

I was thinking of having him do compound movements with higher reps and lower weight for a month or two because I want to be careful with his joints, making sure I'm not bearing them with weight faster than they can adapt. Does that make any sense?

I was also going to have him do variants of certain movements, such as seated cable row rather than bent over or pendlay row (for the safety of his back) and lat pulldowns rather than pull ups (in case something goes wrong and he needs to bail).

Basically something like this:

A

Leg Press 3x10
Bench Press 3x10
Seated Cable Row 3x10

B

Leg Press 3x10
Overhead Press 3x10
Lat Pulldown 3x10

How does this look? And does anyone have ideas for how much/often to increment the weights?
>>
I was thinking of adding in some arm work for him after the first few weeks, and then possibly teaching him how to squat. I'm more hesitant to get him going with deadlifts though. I don't want him to have a fucking stroke or something while straining and holding his breathe on heavy deads. Are deadlifts safe for a 70 year old, or should I have him do something else? The deadlifts would mainly be for strengthening his spinal erectors.
>>
I would also appreciate it if anyone shared resources which talk about resistance training at an old age.
>>
I would ask a professional over /fit/. Even if you get some anecdotal advice, I think you're at risk of destroying your dad's body with heavy lifting
>>
I don't know much, but leg press, bench press and OHP are not the safest. At least stick to dumbbells so he doesn't die if his elbow joint locks up on him or something.
>>
Rippetoe talks about stuff like this in his youtube vids.
>>
old people are useless
>>
>>35226538
>so he doesn't die
kek

Yeah, I was going to have him do overhead dumbbell, rather than barbell, press. Could you explain why leg press and bench press aren't safe?
>>
>>35226624
I don't know if I trust Rippetoe for advice about lifting safely, by which I mean minimizing damage to your joints. Rip has the mentality that lifting is a sport, and getting stronger is an end in itself, versus the idea that lifting AND running should be done to maintain one's health and fitness. Thus, to me, it seems like he believes that people should take on the risks and "inevitable" damage to the body that comes with all sports.

He would probably instruct my dad to do weighted chins rather than lat pulldowns, probably because he thinks lat pulldowns are "gay," while I see them as a safer, more appropriate alternative for someone my dad's age.
>>
>>35226777

you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>35226646
>>>/10th grade/
>>
>>35226791
Why? I respect Rip, and think he's one of the best resources when it comes to training novices, but I think he's partially responsible for the attitude found online that lifting is only good for you. People on here and reddit always bring up the points, which they probably came across when reading SS, that lifting increases bone density and improves joint health, while no one ever seems to acknowledge that plenty of people who have been lifting all their lives, like Frank Zane, say that they wish they hadn't gone so hard on their joints when they were younger.
>>
>>35226514
What kind of professional?
>>
>>35226743

I've heard leg press are the number 1 cause of gym injury related lawsuits or something like that. And collapsingkneeslegpress.gif Personally I don't see how you can fuck up leg presses.

Bench is pretty well known for being the most dangerous lift because the barbell is over your face/neck.
>>
>>35226921
>I've heard leg press are the number 1 cause of gym injury related lawsuits or something like that. And collapsingkneeslegpress.gif Personally I don't see how you can fuck up leg presses.
I'll look into this. Also, I'm pretty sure the collapsing knees shit only happens if you have a certain condition, or I suppose if you try to lift wayyy too much.

>Bench is pretty well known for being the most dangerous lift because the barbell is over your face/neck.
Yeah, I'll probably just have him do dumbbell bench.
>>
Bruh, substitute back squats with Zercher squats. It's pretty hard to fuck those up.
>>
>>35226962
Those actually look easier to fuck up.
>>
>>35226104
I'm no expert but I'd imagine starting him with as many different bodyweight exercises as you can would be a good start. Progress to really light machine work then light free weights. Don't forget the cardio because no cardio is a meme for people who are in their prime.
>>
>>35227168
Yeah, I didn't include this in the OP, but I was actually thinking of having a one month period for "laying the foundation," before weights would come into the picture, consisting of cardio, bodyweight exercises, core training, and stretching.
>>
was your dad 50 years old when he got you or was it just an extreme example
>>
>>35227242
He's 66.
>>
>>35227208
At 70 it'll depend on his current condition and history (did he spend the first 30 years of his life eating shite, chain smoking, drinking like a fish and being very 'sedentary'), did he/does he walk, play golf, is he active for his age? I wouldn't put an arbitrary figure like a month on how long you should spend on groundwork. He's been alive for longer than our combined ages (33 here) and I'm pretty sensitive to my own capabilities in terms of adaptation so I'd imagine he's even more in tune. Also 50 points for noblest of causes anon. I hope no troll because this thread is great.
>>
>>35227327
Lol, nah it's not a troll. Just trying to help my dad make some gains.

He's actually pretty healthy. I wouldn't say he's athletic, but he's always been somewhat active throughout his life. He walks everyday, doesn't drink, and eats fairly well. I'm not sure if he would be considered overweight; he has somewhat of a "belly," by which I mean his stomach protrudes a fair bit, but it's clear that he doesn't have that much fat on other parts of his body. I'm not sure if that's fat on his stomach or if it protrudes for some other reason.
>>
>>35227383
Again no expert but if he's fairly active and has no abundance of fat he'll just have a paunch because. Look at the majority of unconditioned men in their 30's/40's and 50's. A few decades of not intentionally clenching your abs will do that.
>>
>>35226190
honestly I love deadlifts and I completely support the argument that they are 100% safe with proper form. That said I wouldnt have anyone over 60 attempt them in my opinion. Backs are fragile at that age and many people that age already have backpain from something in the past.
>>
>>35226921
>>35226955
Thats because people do big weight without a spotter idiot. I assume OP is gonna go with his dad in which case he would spot the man. If not then yea dumbell press but as long as you spot him there is nothing to worry about.
>>
>>35227441
Would it make sense to put him on a small caloric deficit for the first month to get rid of the paunch?
>>
>>35227473
Do you think he needs to be doing something specifically for strengthening his lower back?
>>
>>35227493
No, that's actually a good point. I'll be leaving for school in a month, so he won't have me to spot him. I'll just have him use dumbbells.
>>
>>35227518
Probably not. It doesn't sound like it's through too much fat or any kind of inflamation just years of the intestines being free to push his belly out through a lack of resistance when they're doing their thing. Crunches, isometrics and cardio should take care of that.
>>
>>35226104
im only 35 but i will tell you even at my age high reps hurt my joints pretty bad, start him off light weight and low reps, let him decide how many he wants to do as it might feel like his elbows are about to explode at some point. Hit him up on diet to have him see any gains.. more protein for sure.
>>
>high rep

That would make him more likely to injure himself bro, do low-moderate weight with 3x5 and work up.
Deadlifts are totally safe provided he has enough flexibility, starts low enough, gets enough rest, and wears a belt.
Squats may be difficult but they can always be switched out for sumo deadlift+leg press.

Also don't trust anything you read on 4chan and talk to a trainer, this is your dad's health bro.
>>
>>35227592
Is this likely to be me in a couple of years (33 years paunch commentating anon). I've worked mostly manual jobs since I was 17 and only started lifting and exercising since having a family and working a sedentary job. I'm asking as I'm fine with high reps at the moment.
>>
>>35227609
I thought high rep, low weight was considered safer on the joints than high weight, low rep, and assumed that low weight, low rep wouldn't be enough to drive adaptation.
>>
>>35227383
For now, avoid exercises like deadlift and leg press as those increase blood pressure to very high levels during the lift.

You might try dumbell bench, lat pull downs (like you said), band pull aparts, and and sled drags. Sports doc had me do sled drags for hip flexor rehab because they're so easy on joints. It's also good cardio.

Stick to that for a few months and once his tendons adapt to the training you might try a more standard BB template. I'm wondering if Jack Lalanne wrote anything about geriatric lifting before he passed.
>>
>>35227585
I was going to have him do stomach vacuums and planks. We'll see if it makes a difference.
>>
>>35227726
Why band pull aparts? And unfortunately my gym doesn't have the equipment for sled drags.
>>
>>35227718
Low-moderate weight man, like 50- 60% of an assumed 1rep max.

He's more likely to get a joint injury from repeating the movement too much than from a little too much weight.
>>
>>35227794
>He's more likely to get a joint injury from repeating the movement too much than from a little too much weight.
Source?
>>
I wouldn't suggest weight training to men over 45. They should stick to mobility and stretching exercises.
>>
>>35226921

>leg press
>what is
>thinking of that terrifying gif where a girl is pushing some plate with her legs when BOTH KNEES BEND BACKWARDS and I faint
>>
>>35226104
Get your pops into ddp yoga
>>
>>35228301
http://www.simplefitnesssolutions.com/articles/older_adults.htm
>>
>>35228117
Time under tension bro, Google it.
>>
>>35228814

Note: Although a moderate strength training is very safe, if you are 35 or older or have heart disease or another medical condition, you should check with your doctor before starting any exercise program.
>>
>>35228846
>Note: Although a moderate strength training is very safe, if you are 35 or older or have heart disease or another medical condition, you should check with your doctor before starting any exercise program.
What's your point?
>>
>>35226104
Uni qualified exercise scientist here, working with middle aged and older adults.
What you've currently programmed is good. However begin him with light cardio for 10-15min, preferably on some sort of stationary, seated machine i.e bike, octane etc. This provides an effective cardiovascular/respiratory warm up as well as having a myriad of other health benefits.
Include 3-4 compound exercises with 2 sets of 10-12 reps of light-moderate intensity.
Following this, include 1-2 assistance exercises, preferably with bands- focusing on particularly weak/deconditioned areas...often lower traps, core and posterior chain (glutes, hams,)
Finish session with 2-3 mobility/stretching exercises for tight, restricted areas.
2 sessions per week is sufficient initially.
>>
>>35231170
What band exercises would you recommend for the posterior chain?
>>
>>35231428
Glute bridges with mini band around the knees. Ask him to push his knees out against the band when he raises his hips up. This will help activate glute medius via external rotation whilst the hip extension engages glute max
>>
>>35226777
>implying Rip wouldn't recommend assisted pull-ups over a totally different exercise he trying to get you to be strong enough to do

Come on, son.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.