[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gym weights difficulty level scaling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: bench-press--405lb03_2.gif (2 MB, 288x220) Image search: [Google]
bench-press--405lb03_2.gif
2 MB, 288x220
How does the pushing difficulty scales for example while bench pressing? Everybody will admit that 1 plate is easy weight but 2 plates is impressive. I weight 145 and im benching 185. There's this dude who weights 205, he is pretty big but he's struggling with 225 on flat. Does it mean im relatively stronger than him or 2planet bench is something more than just a number and requires special powers? There is literally no one at my gym who benches 225 for reps as his working set and there is a bunch of big guys.
>>
Fuck relative strength, there's only strength. And I'm not sure what kind of gym you go to but everyone reps 2pl8 at mine, and its a normy gym.

> tfw 2pl8 is the standard for actually having lifted in your life, not impressive
>>
nobody cares about relative strength unless you're actually strong as fuck at a very light weight

if you ever even mention about relative strength at your stats people just think you're a faggot trying to justify your shit lifts
>>
>>35214152
Contrary to what /fit/ trolls will say, benching 2 plate for reps is strong. You aren't gonna be blown away but you aren't gonna consider them a slough. Most men will never achieve a 2 plate bench in their lifetime.
>>
>>35214687
Slouch**
>>
Fuck everyone on this board that days 2pl8 is easy you can have 2 pl8 in six months. Listen to your body. You will make 2 plates but it comes easier to some. Keep hitting bench for heavy sets and keep progressing. Keep eating and sleeping. 185 bench is decent even so congrats breh. Half the people on this board that claim 2pl8 can't do it or have bounced it off their chest or less than full rom or got help from a spot. Keep doing you m8
>>
>>35214152
With such a delta in bodyweight as 145 to 205, you're clearly a better bench presser than the 205 if he can barely get up 225.

That shouldn't satisfy you, however- your bench is still very low and you should strive to increase it as well as your muscle mass.

You will probably be able to add 1-10 pounds to your bench press per pound of lean mass added to your upper body. If you add 7 pounds of muscle to your upper body in the next year, maybe you'll be benching 250 by then and you'll look substantially bigger than right now
>>
>>35214814
But why is it that the more you weigh the more you can lift?I get what you mean it's why things like systematicstrength is a website.But why is it that the more fat you are the more you can lift or is it because you are eating at such a large surplus that you won't stall for a long time?
>>
>>35214864
First and foremost, the cross sectional area of muscle is directly proportional with the force output of that muscle- muscle gains lead directly to increased strength, always.

If you add a pound of muscle to your pectorals, your bench is guaranteed to go up.

Body fat can shorten range of motion and increase some people's lifts, but this usually isn't the case- so it's really all about muscle mass.
People who bench more than you have more muscle than you, in almost ALL cases

You can go from a 145 to a 160 pounder, cut down to 150, and be benching 250 pounds- it's possible. It's all about building muscle and then cutting off excess fat.

You can tremendously improve your overall and relative strength.
>>
>>35214864
Is this a real question, you inbred? A 205lb person obviously has larger muscles than a 145lb person. No shit they can lift more than you they have more muscle mass to utilize and strength.

>>35214898
this is all you need to know. Also, EAT.
>>
>>35214152
I rep 3 plates and people look at me like I'm a wizard.
>>
>>35214152
Tbqh I'm not impressed with relative strength until the weight is above 225. So I would see the 205 lber with more respect than the 140lber dyel who can barely bench 185.
>>
>>35214152
Youre weak. You have to be able to do a 10 set of 185 to be able to do 1 rep of 225.
I was 170lb with a 235lb max and everyone thought I was strong as fuck for my size.
>>
>>35215599
That's bullshit and you know it. My ten rep max is 155 and one rep max is 205.

This is the general calculation- 0.033 * [#reps] * [weight] + weight= one rep max

6-7 reps at 185 gives you 225x1
>>
>>35215653
>6-7 reps at 185 gives you 225x1
Its cute that you actually believe this. Have fun never getting to lmao2p8
>>
>>35215162
That's because you're fuckhueg and have a good physique

>>35214687
Benching 2pl8 is not impressive unless you're 16. Most people will be able to do that for reps if they pay attention to form and programming

>>35214152
No you're not stronger. Probably not even relatively but let's go ahead and consult the wilks here.
Your bench wilks is 66, his is 64. Moral of the story is they're both novice. You have no reason not to be bulking though.
>>
>>35215671
I weigh 136 pounds at 5'8" by the way

I'm going to be benching 235 at sub-140 along with a 440 deadlift
>>
>>35214152
relative strength comes into play past a certain point of absolute strength.

no one cares about the 300lbs guy benching 150lbs nor do they care about the 140lbs guy benching 150lbs. theyre both 'weak'

once you're 'strong', relative strength comes into play.

'strong' is relative to where you're at - eg 2pl8 bp is strong in a commercial gym, whereas less than 3pl8 in a pl/strongman gym is weak

you are relatively stronger, yes. but does anyone care until you're benching at least 2pl8 - no
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>35214152
>2planet bench
>>
>>35214152
he lifts more than you, he's stronger
>>
>>35214432
home gym guy detected
>>
>>35214152
>2planet bench
not benching lmao2planet
why even live
>>
There's a site that will tell you how relatively strong you are compared to your weight and height. It colour codes the muscle groups for different lifts and ranks you from like novice to world class.

Don't know what it's called though. ;^)
>>
>>35214687
>Most men will never achieve a 2 plate bench in their lifetime.
probably, if they never bench
>>
In truth, your 10 rep max and 1 rep max ratio are dependent upon your rep range that you train in as well as muscle fiber ratio- quick and slow twitch.

It could take anywhere from 5-12 reps at 185 to max out at 225x1, I depends on the individual
>>
>>35215746
symmetricstrength
>>
>>35214898
b-but
>muh strength training is bad for mass
and only gives you CNS strength
>>
>>35215748
this guy gets it

most people who can rep 225 for 6-8 can do ~275 for 1rm

on the other hand, i know a guy who can do 225x10, but can't lift 275x1 (when he should be maxing at ~300)

not everybody is the same
>>
>>35215754
>symmetricstrength
>225lb for 3 at 167lbs is just proficient
Ive only met professionals with a better relative strength than that. Although to be fair when I was bulking I got up to 195lb and had like a 255lb max which was pretty average for someone who goes to the gym.
>>
>>35214152
Relative strength is a fucking joke lol

Only manlets and literal dung beetles give a shit about relative bullshit. Absolute is absolute.
>>
>>35215890
athletic otter here. Its pretty important for me since I cant gain much weight or else lose my ability to swim. You bulking faggots have it easy.
>>
There's one guy at my gym who I've seen squat more than me, I've never seen anyone OHP or deadlift anywhere near as much as I do. There are dozens of guys who can outbench me. Why is everyone so unbalanced?
>>
>>35216103
Simple- bench is considered the manliest lift. It's easy to do, lets you move a lot of weight, looks hazardous, builds a big chest which is one of the most noticeable parts of a man's body.

For these reasons, men have elected the bench as the most important lift despite the fact that it has less carryover to structural integrity and athleticism and general health of all the major lifts.

People are superficial. Who knew
>>
>>35214721
yes you can get definitely get a 2pl8 bench in way under a year if you aren't bullshitting. after a year i would expect a healthy male to be benching 2pl8 for at least 3-5 reps
>>
Relative strength only matters if you plan on competing someday, like I do.

5'6 manlet.

250 bench
325 squat
425 deadlift
165 press.

Unless your goal is to be the leanest and strongest just stop now. It is very hard to keep these numbers up at such a low bodyweight and progress is slow, but manageable. You're weak compared to me and we are nearly the same weight. Just lift and progress and worry about relative strength later.
>>
>>35216397
How much do you weigh man?
>>
>>35216397
Oops I'm also 149 pounds
>>
>>35216397
Dude, as a manlet you really need to get your ohp up for lateral delt gains. Put down the bench centric PL stuff and go for athleticism and aesthetics through gaining width and leanness.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.