[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calories in, calories out? Explain this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4
File: 0.png (336 KB, 611x427) Image search: [Google]
0.png
336 KB, 611x427
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrare

>Tarrare (c. 1772 – 1798), sometimes spelled Tarare, was a French showman and soldier, noted for his unusual eating habits. Able to eat vast amounts of meat, he was constantly hungry
>he agreed to submit to any procedure that would cure his appetite, and was treated with laudanum, tobacco pills, wine vinegar and soft-boiled eggs. The procedures failed, and doctors could not keep him on a controlled diet; he would sneak out of the hospital to scavenge for offal in gutters, rubbish heaps and outside butchers' shops, and attempted to drink the blood of other patients in the hospital and to eat the corpses in the hospital morgue. After falling under suspicion of eating a toddler he was ejected from the hospital.
>Despite his unusual diet, Tarrare was slim and of average height.[9] At the age of 17, he weighed only 100 pounds (45 kg; 7 st 2 lb).[1][5]
>Despite his large intake of food, he did not appear either to vomit excessively or to gain weight.[13]
>The cause of Tarrare's behaviour is not known. While there are other documented cases of similar behaviour from the period, none of the subjects other than Tarrare were autopsied and there have been no modern documented cases resembling Tarrare.[15] Hyperthyroidism can induce an extreme appetite, rapid weight loss, profuse sweating, heat intolerance, and fine hair. Bondeson (2006) speculates that Tarrare suffered from a damaged amygdala; it is known that injuries to the amygdala in animals can induce polyphagia.[16]
>>
You can remain slim when your body doesn't use the food and you shit out much of it. But you cannot get really fat without eating a caloric surplus for a long time.
>>
>trusting folk stories for 100% accuracy
ishygddt
>>
>>35126605
This.
Your body can make use of anywhere between 0% and 100% of the food you eat.
It can't make use of 150% of the food you eat.
>>
>>35126569
Look up a condition called pica.
>>
>>35126569
Simple, calories are a measure of energy while food (and I guess toddlers and shit) are measured in mass. If he's just eating them and shitting most of it out, his body isn't converting any of the mass he is eating into calorie laden fat and storing it on him. Calories in is still calories out, his body is just getting very little calories from the food he is eating.

Also, calories on nutrition labeling today is the maximum possible calorie a thermodynamic engine can derive from burning the food. It's entirely possible your body gets less from it due to inefficiencies (though it's not possible to get more)
>>
>>35126569
Kinetic and thermal energy = Chemical energy absorbed

That's basically the "calorie in, calorie out" equation if you want to call it like that. The interesting violation of that equation would be

Kinetic and thermal energy ≥ Chemical energy absorbed

which is the apologetic fatty-kind of violation, meaning they claim to hardly eat anything while not losing weight. What happened here is apparently

Kinetic and thermal energy ≤ Chemical energy absorbed,

however, it is not clear whether he really absorbed the chemical energy he put into his stomach. Meaning, the observation was

Kinetic and thermal energy ≤ Chemical energy eaten

However, it is Chemical energy absorbed = Chemical energy eaten – chemical energy shat out, so

Kinetic and thermal energy ≤ Chemical energy absorbed + chemical energy shat

was observed. And that is not violating any thermodynamics at all.
>>
>>35126569

>He was described as having unusually soft fair hair and an abnormally wide mouth, in which his teeth were heavily stained[9] and on which the lips were almost invisible.[10][11] When he had not eaten, his skin would hang so loosely that he could wrap the fold of skin from his abdomen around his waist.[9][10] When full, his abdomen would distend "like a huge balloon".[6] The skin of his cheeks was wrinkled and hung loosely, and when stretched out, he could hold twelve eggs or apples in his mouth.[11][12] His body was hot to the touch and he sweated heavily, constantly suffering from foul body odour;[9][11] he was described as stinking "to such a degree that he could not be endured within the distance of twenty paces".[11] This smell would get noticeably worse after he had eaten,[10][11] his eyes and cheeks would become bloodshot,[9] a visible vapour would rise from his body,[11] and he would become lethargic, during which time he would belch noisily and his jaws would make swallowing motions.[11] He suffered from chronic diarrhoea, which was said to be "fetid beyond all conception".[11]

What was he, a fucking cartoon? Visible fucking stink lines coming off of him when he ate?
>>
There was some documentary on Youtube about a woman who has to constantly eat to survive, she looks anorexic. Your body can use less than the available amount of caloric energy within food, but not less. This also happens with cancer patients sometimes, their metabolism breaks and they can't absorb nutrition from food.
>>
Stories like these always come from ancient times when there were no cameras, internet, and other shit to share and document it.
>>
>>35126771

Except for the motherfuckers documenting it.
>>
>>35126771
>late 18th century
>ancient times

Our educational system really has gone down the drain.
>>
>>35126692

>On another occasion Tarrare was presented with a live cat. He tore the cat's abdomen open with his teeth and drank its blood, and proceeded to eat the entire cat aside from its bones, before vomiting up its fur and skin.[2][8] Following this, hospital staff offered Tarrare a variety of other animals including snakes, lizards and puppies, all of which were eaten;[9] he also swallowed an entire eel without chewing, having first crushed its head with his teeth.[2]

What is he, a fucking zombie?
>>
File: wat.jpg (132 KB, 1902x962) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
132 KB, 1902x962
>1772-1798

stopped reading right there
into the trash it goes
>>
500 kcal of protein has a different hormonal reaction vs 500 kcal of fat vs 500 kcal of fructose vs 500 kcal of glucose etc. Calories in is just one part in the chain of events. All calories are not equal.
>>
>>35126569

How to get my vertical jump on par with Spring Heeled Jack?
>>
>>35127346
wtf is wrong with his hips
>>
>>35127378
>500 kcal of protein
>500kcal of fat
how retarded do you have to be?
>>
>>35126692
>>35127315

Must have been some sort of extreme hormone/gland problem or something like that.

Would make for a good anime character tho.
>>
>>35127378
Way to completely miss the point of the thread.
>>
>>35126692
Sounds like lupus desu
>>
>>35127414
kleinfelters
>>
>>35126569
you and any other retards would be well advised to remember that it's
>USABLE CALORIES IN
>compared to
>CALORIES OUT
if i eat 1kg of coal i don't get the 6500kcal of energy that it contains. not 100% of the food we eat is usable as chemical energy, especially if you eat stupid non-food shit like the guy in your anecdote
>>
>>35127617
i should add that a meal that provides 1000kcal to one person may provide more or less to another person, based on the efficiency of their digestive system for those particular foods, which is incredibly diverse among different people. so all of the stupid fucking anecdotes that fatties come up with only violate their weak understanding, the law of energy balance still holds
>>
>>35127645
The variance of efficiency of the digestive tract are tiny, unless something is seriously wrong (i.e. chronic inflammation due to Crohn's disease).
>>
>>35127447
Mike, what the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across theUSAand your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>35127667
in the small intestine i agree. but the microbes in the large intestine depend on tons of different factors, ex. your normal diet. an obese person that never eats fibrous vegetables does not have a large population of microbes to deal with a half a pound of broccoli, and they won't absorb nearly as many nutrients or calories as someone who has been eating fibrous vegetables for years. we all know too well the fatty complaint that vegetables give them diarrhea
>>
>>35127667
but as far as total kcal absorption i believe you, i'm sure the difference is not enough for anyone to be concerned with, just wanted to make the point that calories into your mouth doesn't necessarily equal calories 'gained' by your body
>>
>>35126569
it´s still carlories in and out, this fat french guy just had a disease, which made him unable to control his intake ...so it still fits into this scheme
>>
Too much DNP
>>
>>35127845
i took too much dnp once, blood turned yellow.
>>
>>35126692
>He suffered from chronic diarrhoea, which was said to be "fetid beyond all conception"

Well, it seems pretty likely that he had trouble digesting/absorbing what he actually ate, so it's not really surprising that he was slim. Have you never heard of well-fed animals losing weight because they have a bad case of worms? It could have been that he was riddled with parasites or that he had some other disease of his digestive tract that meant he couldn't properly digest food. Calories in, calories out still applies when thousands of calories are shooting out of your arse.
>>
>>35127052

>taking things literally

Do you have aspergers? that was a rhetorical question, obviously.
>>
>>35127825
it says the guy was 100lb. how is that fat?
>>
>>35127667
Even if there isn't a large variance between people, isn't there a large variance in the amount of calories the body has to expend to digest different foods? If I eat 1000 kcal of granulated sugar versus eating 1000 kcal of steak, won't my body end up digesting the sugar with much less effort than it does with the steak, netting me more calories from the sugar than from the steak (even if the steak does provide many other beneficial nutrients)?
>>
>>35126569
He had a tapeworm

/Thread
>>
keto haha
>>
>>35126569
The equation isn't static, it's dynamic.
The body is capable of do crazy stuff to conserve fat, to burn fat, to not store fat, but the equation still holds.
But is more complicated than say only "calories in, calories out"
>>
>>35130145
I think "calories absorbed, calories expended" gives a more accurate impression of what's happening in the body.
>>
No push-up thread.
>>
>>35130164
This, it's not like the intestines of the human body are magic caloric converters that can convert every food into useful calories, it is entirely possible that someone had a genetic mutation that made them unable to process most of the food that they ate (they would just end up shitting most of it out).
>>
>>35126569

The entire story was probably made up. It sounds too weird.

Or he might have had a legitimate digestive disorder. Calories in calories out assumes a reasonably normal and healthy individual. Could have been parasites, disease, or some other digestive issue.

Calories in calories out really has nothing to do with edge cases. It's like trying to prove that people can't actually walk by showing pictures of people in wheelchairs.
>>
>>35130328
>post this 4 hours ago
>back on /fit/
>same thread
>same points being made
carry on folks
>>
>>35130498
>Or he might have had a legitimate digestive disorder

The nigga ate a live cat, I don't think it's a digestive disorder s m h t b h f a m
>>
Cystic fibrosis
>>
File: really.gif (3 MB, 432x227) Image search: [Google]
really.gif
3 MB, 432x227
>>35126569
>After falling under suspicion of eating a toddler he was ejected from the hospital
>>
>>35130498

>It sounds too weird.

It almost sounds like something less folk-ish and more from a horror novel.

Even if we can verify medical documentation and military service, a lot of this sounds anecdotal.
>>
>>35126692
>he could hold twelve eggs or apples in his mouth

those two things are a lot different
>>
>>35127315
>crazy mother fucker kills a cat, drinks its blood, then eats it
>give him puppies and lizards afterwards

I feel like there was a logical conclusion to come to after the cat episode and that wasn't it
>>
>>35130526
If you are hungry enough you can eat anything
>>
>>35126569
Because human`s body is more complex than calorie in vs calorie out, most of /fit/ are retarded believing this shit.
>>
>>35126569
>1798
>historically accurate and medically sound
>>
Gravity pulls in? Explain this

>Fill balloon with helium
>Balloon goes into the sky

Fucking explain that, science.
>>
>>35130965
>not understanding what density is
>>
>>35126569
why isn't there a horror movie about this guy? it would be fucking terrifying
>>
>>35126692
It sounds like protein-malnutrition, combined with symptoms you'd expect from someone who eats that much meat. He might have had some genetic disorder, or suffered starvation when he was a child that damaged his ability to process protein. His body notices he has protein deficiency and tells him to eat meat, but his intestines can't absorb it so he gets diarrhea.

It's obvious that he craved meat specifically, if he was just plain hungry he would have eaten bread too.
>>
>>35126569
>Tarrare, sometimes spelled Tarare

Don't even know the spelling of the name.
>>
>>35131778

Different sources I imagine. People misspell my first and last name all of the time - even medical professionals.
>>
Explain this!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
>>
>>35127447
>not understanding the thermogenic effect of food
it requires more energy to digest protein opposed fat or carbs.
>>
>be in hospital
>food sucks
>eat a baby

Max gains
>>
>While there are other documented cases of similar behaviour from the period, none of the subjects other than Tarrare were autopsied and there have been no modern documented cases resembling Tarrare.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say you're not the magic poor soul who's broken the mysterious 200+ year streak, fatty. Put down the fucking burger and stop making excuses.
>>
>>35132018
2 spooki 4 me
>>
>>35129647
this
>>
>>35132018
literally just hypothermia affecting cognition.
>>
>>35133738
>fatty
OP is clearly a "hard-gainer" skellington, pretending that he can't gain muscle, even though he totally eats enough
>>
>>35130612
Not in 1700 something. Apple's weren't always so big
>>
The guy was described as having chronic diarrea, so most of his food never got properly digested. How dumb is this board. Do you fail to grasp the reason why boulimics lose weight too?
>>
>>35132018
Damn thats spooky, any more like that?
> /xfit/ pls
>>
>>35131733
>tfw anorexic from ages 8-12
did little me doom me to a life of nogainz?
>>
>>35126692
fuck you I read this last night and it spooked the fuck out of me. slept with the lights on
>>
>>35134190
Bulimics throw up their food though. It specifically says in the OP that he wasn't known to throw up, so hence, he did not have bulimia.

The diarrhea thing is spot-on i'm pretty sure. Dude had some kind of condition.
>>
>>35135613
Yes, you killed your essential ages of testosterone production.
>>
>I want my baby back baby back baby back I want my baby back baby back baby back
>>
>>35130631
>"So I told Tarrare to eat a live cat.. he actually did it the absolute madman"
>>
File: wiki.png (76 KB, 1637x425) Image search: [Google]
wiki.png
76 KB, 1637x425
>>35126569
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrare
Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information
>>
>>35127315
>"oi, Tarrare. Bet you cant swallow this eel whole"
>>
>he doesn't eat planes

Its like you don't even want gains

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito
>>
>>35128123
Do you concur, fellow medical doctors??
>>
>>35136772
I saw this guy on TV when I was little. They gave him an award.... and he ate it.
>>
>>35126709

this minus your one grammatical error.

You aren't what you eat, you are what your GI tract absorbs, and there are plenty disorders that are genetic, infectious, and environmental that can induce this sort of phenomena.
>>
>>35136772
Fuck this idiot
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.