[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I tell if this is dandruff or dry scalp /fit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8
File: p11.jpg (244 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
p11.jpg
244 KB, 720x1280
How can I tell if this is dandruff or dry scalp /fit/?
>>
File: p22.jpg (238 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
p22.jpg
238 KB, 720x1280
>>35124352
p2
>>
>>35124352
Dandruff is caused by having a dry scalp
>>
>>35124382
Actually dandruff is a fungus.
>>
>>35124352
bump
>>
>>35124453
>Fungus
Nope, antifungals help a bit, but dandruff is just flaky dry scalp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandruff
>>
Use this shampoo called selsun blue every day and comb your scalp aggressively to knock out the remaining dandruff op. don't fuck with head and shoulders tho
You'll be rid of it in a couple of days
>>
>>35124539
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/11/20/dandruff-is-caused-by-scalp-fungus.aspx
>>
how to with no poo?
>inb4 le indian maymay
>>
>>35124598

Might wanna quote something other than mercola
>>
>>35124600
just don't use shampoo for a while.

I actually alternate I only shampoo on Fridays with some conditoner. I can't really tell a difference but I"m not super obsessed with my hair
>>
>>35124600
If you go with the no poo route, you should put moisturizing oil on your scalp to keep it from drying out
>>
>>35124352
None of you fucks heard of Head and Shoulders?
>>
>>35125028
That shit destroys your hair.
>>
>>35125028
Selsun Blue is 10x better
>>
Stop washing your hair every day
Use tea tree oil
Take cold showers
>>
File: ion.jpg (6 KB, 73x266) Image search: [Google]
ion.jpg
6 KB, 73x266
>>35125718
This is what i just bought, hope it works
>>
If over-counter-stuff doesn't work, go see a doctor. I had a similar problem that no shampoos had any effect on, got prescription for a corticosteroids that were super effective.
>>
I used to have bad dandruff. Then it evolved into seborrhoeic dermatitis on my scalp, eyebrows, and around my nose.

I just picked up Nizoral and Ketoconazole cream to finally deal with this shit. Having massive flakes of skin peeling off your face all year long is worse than having a sunburn. At least you can tell people how you got a sunnurn. You can't tell people your face looks pocked and peeling because you have a fungal infection
>>
>>35124352
HOLY SHIT it took me a solid 10 seconds to realize that flower decoration thing in the background wasnt growing out of your scalp
>>
>>35124352
proper dandruff is fairly big, yellowish flakes
dry scalp is small, white flakes, which is what you probably have
get a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner like Moroccanoil, Redken or Phillip Kingsley, if you're too cheap/poor for that get something a tier lower like Keune
look for daily moisturizing (or repair) shampoo/conditioner combo
and stay the fuck away from Head&Shoulders that stuff is ultimate fucking garbage and will fuck up your scalp like no tomorrow
while oil can help, don't use tea tree oil undiluted, it will literally burn your scalp, buy a hair oil mixture (pure argan oil, almond oil or a mixture of both is also good) and add a couple drops of tea tree oil in it, do not overdo it or you WILL get chemical burns
>>
>>35125683
>>35126807

Sauce? Genuinely want to know because I was about to order Head&Shoulders and don't want to fuck up
>>
>>35126807
>>35125683
I use head and shoulders twice a week due to dry ass scalp. My hair is noticeably better and my scalp is normal.
>>
>>35124352
Both you dipshit
>>
>>35126890
It's an overly aggressive cheap shit shampoo that's at most useful once a week, if you need to wash hair daily just avoid it
Seriously, if you don't want to spend some money on something like Redken or even Keune, Johnson&Johnson No more tears is literally the best thing you can buy on the cheap (and then get something like Guhl or another random moisturizing/oil/repair conditioner)
but honestly, Redken is like $18 a 300ml bottle and it will last very long, about the same for American Crew, Moroccanoil moisture repair is fantastic and is $25 (shampoo only)
>>35126910
you're extremely lucky, almost everyone I know absolutely hates the stuff, including like 5 hair stylists
>>
>>35127012
Never listen to a hair stylist. Most of the time they're just trying to sell you some bullshit. The average person should never wash their hair daily. You need to let your scalp generate some of that natural oils rather than dry it out by washing it all the time.
>>
>>35127128
I need to wash my hair daily because otherwise the salt from my sweat makes me itchy, dries out my scalp and causes a bunch of other problems
if I don't train I can easily go three days without much grease, but that doesn't happen very often
just use a mild daily shampoo (=literally anything sulfate free more or less) and a decent daily conditioner and you're fine
you can also easily skip the shampoo if you see your hair is not very dirty and just condition
>>
>>35124352
Can you still get girls with dandruff /fit/?
>>
File: Snapchat-6667238252640182305.jpg (235 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6667238252640182305.jpg
235 KB, 720x1280
>>35126807
What about this stuff man? I just washed with it and its not gone but it looks a bit better
>>
>>35127012
Anon I've used moroccon oil all these years. The suave moroccon oil and I just started getting this shit in my hair a few weeks ago. I donno what to do man I am running out of options. I am op btw and again I was on the moroccon oil and then recently I'm the one who was on the ion shampoo
>>
>>35127288
I have literally no idea but it might be decent enough
get a conditioner with it and use for like a month, then you'll see how much it helps, if it doesn't, switch
honestly it's kinda a crapshoot what will work for you, it's just that good brands tend to work for more (most) people off the bat so they're easier to recommend
>>
>>35127213
But the shampoo is what cleans the dandruff right, I heard conditioner can cause more of it
>>
>>35127334
Yeah I used this with the condioner and I had dandruff like I did in the op picture. It was fucking terrible and never like that before
>>
>>35127385
No. You will never clean the dandruff off, what you need to do is keep your scalp moist enough to not flake the fuck off, which is achieved through mild shampoo (so it doesn't wash off all the oils in a six mile radius), a conditioner and possibly even stay-in scalp tonic or oil
you need to fix the cause of the flakes, which is dry scalp or in some cases a fungal infection
which specific combination of shampoo, conditioner and additional care will work for a person is not that easy to determine though
just don't make the mistake most people do and get "greasy hair" shampoos for dry scalp, get something that's made for a dry scalp or has hella oil in it (daily moisturising/repair products generally)
if something worsens your condition just pawn it off to someone and get a different thing, what works for some might not work for another, that's why J&J no more tears is a good starting point, for most people it's the mildest shampoo they've used in years and it can be enough to fix the problem, and if it doesn't work you wasted like three bucks
>>
>>35126890
The "anti-dandruff" Head&Shoulders caused me even worse dandruff. Now I'm using Nizoral shampoo twice a week and it's fine.
>>
>>35127529
JJ baby shampoo? And how long should I give it time to work? Also do u think conditioner is needed? Like will I have a better chance to fix it using shamp and conditioner? And the stuff I had says no sulfate or anything like that I am just desparate to fix this shit
>>
Any thoughts on apple cider vinegar?
>>
What about coal tar?
>>
>>35124352
dandruff+dry scalp bro
get an anti-dandruff shampoo and it should be gone within a week or two
>>
File: dandruff_172_lg.jpg (10 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
dandruff_172_lg.jpg
10 KB, 280x210
>>35124352
I have dandruff that is really yellow and waxy and the opposite of a dry scalp.

I've had it all my life and tried many things. Using Selsun Blue is basically the only thing that works for me. That and washing pretty much every day without fail. If I let it go it starts getting build up again.

pic isn't me but is related
>>
>>35126807
Can confirm this
see >>35128411
>>
>>35127662

I do an apple cider vinegar wash sometimes. My hair looks and feels fresh as hell afterward, but in my experience (despite what I had read) your hair does end up smelling faintly of vinegar for a day or two afterward.

I have really long hair, though, so maybe if you have shorter hair it rinses out better and the smell doesn't stay as long.
>>
File: Snapchat--1525173692357452161.jpg (321 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat--1525173692357452161.jpg
321 KB, 720x1280
Which one??
>>
>>35128485
Green. I've tried both and the yellow one is awful. I Someone else can confirm
>>
>>35124352
by seeing a dermatologist idiot

>>35124539
you're an idiot

dandruff is actually a mild form of seborrhoeic dermatitis, which is believed to be caused by the fungus malassezia
>>
Nizoral #1 dandy removal stuff
>>
for all you fags who think you have dandruff you can start treating it by showering everyday like normal non-disgusting-neet

>>35128111
coal tar has carcinogens, i don't touch it
>>
>>35128499
God fucking damnit Ofc I got the yellow one
>>
>>35128710
You can always try it and see if it works
>>
>>35128841
I just dont want to waste time, I dont have time to fail
>>
>>35124352
Try taking a shower.
>>
Okay..flakes can be caused by so many things. A lot of younger dudes..like early 20s that have high test get flakes because it's literally your scalp shedding faster. That's an actual thing. So, is your scalp super itchy, dry and red? If so..go the no shampoo route and do some coconut milk or oil with some tea tree oil.
If your scalp isn't itchy..and it just flakes, then continue shapooing every day but actually scrub your scalp a little.
You gotta figure out which issue it is tho, to properly treat.
>>
>>35130805
The issue just started so I dont know. Just got some of that selsun blue stuff, hopefully that helps
>>
File: DSC_0012.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0012.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Get this shot works 100% o had bad as fuck dandruff.
>>
>>35130963
Selsun's Selenium Sulfide compound is the shit. I'll never use any other brand
>>
>>35130963
>>35130987
thoughts on the left one?
>>35128485
>>
>>35131073
I'm >>35128499 & >>35130987
>>
>>35131161
I ended up taking yellow back to get t he green one. Am gonna try tomorrow.. hope it fixes it. Any idea on how to take it properly? My head does kind of itch and when i itch it i can feel the skin under my nails.. how gross is that lol
>>
>>35131191
The directions on the back say to use it one or two times a week, but I've used it every day before and never had a problem. It's just expensive so it's your choice.
I would also recommend really working it into your scalp and use a fair amount of conditioner afterward. Make sure you leave the conditioner in for 30 seconds or so before you rinse it out.
>>
>>35131210
What conditioner?
>>
>>35131439
I haven't really seen a difference between brands so I just buy whatever smells better to and is in my budget.

You're really just looking to put the moisture back into your hair after you wash it out so your skin doesn't overproduce oil
>>
>>35131465
The moisture you mean from like shampoo then? Or do you mean conditioner?
>>
>>35131575
The conditioner

The shampoo is going to wash away all the oils in your hair and make your skin think it needs to go into overdrive unless you replace them with something
>>
>>35131603
See the conditioner I did put on the other day made it where this morning my head was filled with the white shit. I used this
>>35127288
but in condition form. Any idea why? I might have used too much
>>
File: ASM.webm (3 MB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
ASM.webm
3 MB, 1200x674
Apple Cider Vinegar dliluted with water.
>>
>>35131742
bump
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.