[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any legpressers with big legs here? Are squats just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8
Any legpressers with big legs here? Are squats just a meme?
>>
>>35101515
No.
No.
>>
>>35101515

I have big thighs and I use the leg press but I think it's just genetics and fat desu senpai.
>>
>>35101515
no
>>
>>35101515
yes just follow linear progression of course. you can position yourself to where its mostly just quads or your posterior chain or a mix. super convenient
>>
>>35101615

this. Leg press are superior for leg development and staying injury free, squats are just an old school exercise back when people didn't have access to equipment. Its just a meme and a very inferior lift if you are a bodybuilder
>>
>>35101662
Noted, thanks man, I'm new to this stuff.
>>
>>35101515
yes
no

i'd do squats but gold's banned me from freeweights because i was going too low or something
>>
>>35101764
>gold's
>bang fu gong chu lo

wtf
>>
>>35101686

Squats and deadlifts are high risk exercises, don't even bother with them if you are smart. You can build just as much muscle with safer alternatives.
>>
>>35101515
I did leg press machine when I was in maybe, 3rd or 4th grade
>>
>>35101886
maybe if you were smart, you would know how to do them safely?
>>
>>35101886
need to make new PR's every week? Cant learn good form and start light?
>>
>>35101798
what
>>
>>35101515
the main thing is your goal - if you just wanna be a useless, do-nothing body builder then the leg press is totally fine

if you actually want to be big and strong like an actual athlete, or functional human being - do squats.

a big squat = big leg press
a big leg press =/= a big squat
>>
>>35102030
>the main thing is your goal - if you just wanna be a useless, do-nothing body builder then the leg press is totally fine

Sounds good to me
I'm a girl anyway
I almost fell for the squats meme so I'm glad to read this
>>
File: 1445780786755.jpg (92 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1445780786755.jpg
92 KB, 1024x1024
Just personal preference here:

I would do leg press as an accessory, high volume, not necessarily high weight. Use it for hypertrophy and to supplement your squats
>>
>>35101928

>maybe if you were smart, you would know how to do them safely?

1. Even with good form they put a lot of stress on the spine and other joints and can still cause injury

2. Form breakdown is extremely easy on those exercises. Even if you are an insane form nazi, just one breakdown of out 100 lifts and you can be destroyed for life

3. They don't offer any additional gains that you can't get from safer exercises, so why even bother with them in the first place? Its illogical.
>>
>>35102030

This isn't even true. If you do squats and deadlifts you won't be magically strong at everything else. Someone who focuses on leg press will still crush you at leg press. Someone who carries furniture will still crush you at carrying furniture.

"functional" training is a hoax. Except for deadlifts maybe, because it trains the movement pattern of how you would pick something up from the ground.
>>
>>35102092
> STOP ENJOYING THINGS I DON'T LIKE

Squats are perfectly safe for people with good genetics.
>>
>>35102047
>I'm a girl anyway

Wow being a woman really is easy mode

>man chooses not to do something difficult because he'd rather take the easier approach
>lmao what a fucking pussy

>woman chooses not to do something difficult because she'd rather take the easier approach
>lol shes a girl what do you expect!

Sometimes I wish I was a girl just so I could coast through life doing completely mediocre things and feeling like I accomplished so much just because "I'm a girl anyway"
>>
>>35102092
>1.
they dont. wrong form places undue stress on certain joints/spine, doing it correctly with smart programming wont. and poor programming is overuse injuries, not squat injuries

>just one breakdown of out 100 lifts and you can be destroyed for life
no. a severe breakdown is due to a dumb athlete or dumb coach, minor form break down now and again is expected and totally fine.

>3
just no. completely no. if you think this, then you think the smith machine bench is absolutely no different from the regular bench - which its not. working similar agonists =/= exact same training effect.
>>
>>35102210
You can take the easy approach any time you want
If you are aesthetic no one will care if you're strong or not
The one making your life harder is yourself so don't bitch at me because of your inner conflicts
>>
>>35102210

>Sometimes I wish I was a girl just so I could coast through life doing completely mediocre things and feeling like I accomplished so much just because "I'm a girl anyway"

Go to any gym and the majority of people won't be squatting or deadlifting. They just train everything once a week with much safer exercises like leg press, and a lot of them look good as well without using any roids.

Its just that this autistic forum has trolled people into doing high risk exercises without any additional reward.
>>
>>35102169
You're completely wrong. Specificity isn't everything.

If you teach a 500lb squatter the general guidelines on how to carry furniture (if it wasn't mostly blatantly obvious), then that person will move furniture much better than the weakling 40 year old mover with 20 years experience. Its not that technical of a skill, so general strength is much more important.

the reason the leg press doesnt translate into the squat is because the person leg pressing has no idea how to stabalise a similar weight placed on his back, he never had to. he was just used to pushing a sled. The squatter, however, can easily translate his squatting strength into the leg press.

you obviously have no idea what people actually mean when they say 'functional training' - and it's not just mimicking the action you want to get stronger at.
>>
>>35102227
>no. a severe breakdown is due to a dumb athlete or dumb coach, minor form break down now and again is expected and totally fine.
oh come the fuck on, you can get unlucky and fuck your shit no matter how much you pay attention to your form
>>
>>35102357
you can get a brain aneurysm driving a car. am I gonna start walking my ass everywhere? no.
>>
Machines are for pussies. Only the cables are worth it. The leg machines can go burn in hell for all I care.
>>
>>35102429
did I say that? don't need a dumb coach or a dumb athlete for an injury doing a heavy compound, because shit happens
>>
>>35102092
This is some great bait
>>
>>35102290

I was brainwashed into only doing freeweight compounds llike squat and bench because I thought it would give me better gains and make me more stronger overall.

I got strong in those and tried out different stuff. Could only leg press a little more than I squatted. Could barely overhead press anything even though I was strong on bench. Saw little carryover in general to other stuff.

Yet I see these squat eliteist claiming that they can leg press 3x their squat without ever training it and shit like that... what a bunch of horsepiss. Its a bunch of horsepiss to convince themselves that they are superior because they use the "harder" option (and still look smaller, because lets be real here, most guys at the gym including the biggest ones dont give a shit about squats or deadlifts). Glad I've left that shitty mindset.
>>
>>35102465
Shit happens. like what exactly? you just *forget* how to squat?

atheletes getting hurt during these movements is because theyre pushing their upper limits and shit breaks down, not because of form. you wont be the best by taking a deload every 2nd week to make sure you're recovered.

if you get injured because of form, its because you learned shit form, got sloppy and let your form slip, or some unexpected brain clot happened or similar - but thats not the fault of the squat.
>>
>>35102519
>just never make mistakes and you're fine
yeah ok bud
>>
>>35102483
easy - you quarter squat. learn the movements

also - the overhead press is a compound which you have to train as well. no one said the bench translates into a big ohp. the ohp is much more translatable to general strength movements, you dont walk around with a bench attached to your back to support you

get actually strong before you give your 2c

>>35102539
>im not smart/patient enough to learn the movements and do them correctly and end up hurting myself
not my fault, puss bag.
>>
>>35102560
you sound like you just read ss, christ
>>
>>35102560

Nope, I've even done atg squats even though I don't think its necessary. I could outchbench 90% of this board, probably you as well you fat deluded little GOMADDER.

Not going to continue this discussion because its sad debating with a tard who just read SS and started his GOMAD bulk.
>>
>>35102483
This is so stupid. I squat 2pl8 5x5, but on leg press I can do 5pl8 for 6. So what were you talking about again?
>>
>>35102614
the fact that you can
>only leg press a little more than you can squat
>barely overhead press anything
>think you can out bench 90% of this board
tells me you've been lifting for almost a year and think you know everything after getting some novice gains

must be fun finally touching 2pl8 bench, huh kiddo?
>>
>>35102616

Yeah, bet you just threw on as much weight as possible on the leg press and did 1/8 ROM knee lockouts to convince yourself that you made superior leg strength gains with muh squats and that all leg pressers are inferior little sheep.
>>
Someone who never leg pressed before but have been doing it as squat accessory recently

>5x5 leg press @ 90% of squat 1RM
Is relatively easy after volume squats or deads. Go about as deep as I can on the LP ROM.

No way can I leg press 3x my squat but damn it's sure higher
>>
all quad exercises will grow quads....

The rest is a trade off between what feels comfortable to you, you enjoy, and can do injury free for as long as possible.

I dont squat I hack squat and leg press.
>>
>>35102662

As someone who's actually been way stronger than the average guy, I have seen how strength works, which you clearly dont. So that tells me that you are a weak beginner. Go back to your 135lbs bench press and make some actual gains then you might discover it one day too. You don't learn everything just by reading starting strength.
>>
>>35102290
>If you teach a 500lb squatter the general guidelines on how to carry furniture (if it wasn't mostly blatantly obvious), then that person will move furniture much better than the weakling 40 year old mover with 20 years experience. Its not that technical of a skill, so general strength is much more important.
God damn millennials. This is why I wish we had mandatory military service, or a draft.
Some manchild who has done nothing but chase PRs in an air conditioned gym and spend daddy's money at college ACTUALLY believes this. I bet you didn't even play outside as a kid, fucking iPad pussy with no real world experience
>>
>>35102752
>stronger than the average guy
so not strong. being the strongest guy in your commercial gym dont mean shit.
>i have seen how strength works
the most autistic thing you could have said.

just because you're a weakfag doesn't discredit decades worth of general strength training knowledge. sorry to break it to you.

>>35102810
do you do 3xf couch lifts for 'muh functional fitness training'?

get outta here you useless oldfag - the 'kids' in the gym squatting 10x what you can ARE stronger than you, no matter what your fat moving buddies tell you.
>>
ITT: People who think you can avoid injuries just using machines at the gym and not doing barbell lifts
>>
>>35102911
well you can
at the expense of horribly unbalanced strength that will fuck you as soon as you try to do anything that isnt said machines
>>
>>35102875

Dude you are just cringeworthy. Nothing I said was controversial even, you have just read SS and been brainwashed into thinking squats are the greatest thing ever. You are literally dumb enough to believe that someone who just squats can leg press more than someone who just leg presses. So incredible dumb and weak with barely any gains or experience in the gym.
>>
>>35102923
>this person actually believes you can avoid injury in any aspect of life let alone any physical activity

Injuries can never be avoided in any situation ever.
>>
>>35102946
I can leg press 240kg i can squat about 120kg.
>>
>squat trains everything leg press trains
>leg press doesn't train everything squats train
that's literally it, doing only leg presses will leave your squat in the gutter
doing only squat will increase your leg press
>>
>>35102875
Go do some manual labor then come back to me.
>>
>>35102946
who said you were controversial - I said you were wrong

and no one said someone who only squats will beat someone who only leg presses - but the difference between the squatters leg press compared to the leg presser, will be much much smaller than the leg pressers squat compared to the squatter. you'd know that if you could actually follow an argument.

keep being a pussy tho and using your leg press and smith machine thinking you're just as strong as people squatting and benching what you're using.
>>
>>35101515
I leg press, but after I squat. Its good to combine both machines and free weights to get the best results.
>>
>>35103038
I've moved house before, its not that difficult. obviously its difficult for you

why don't you squat even 400lbs then come back here
>>
53 posts and the legpress webm didnt even get posted
>i am dissapoint
>>
>>35101515
just do both
>>
Someone post the webm already
>>
>>35103071
No it's not. Machine should be compete avoided if you can perform non machine exercises.
>>
>>35104609
It's the main reason why I hate using the leg press now. Fear is going to make me squat sooner or later.
>>
>>35101515
>Any legpressers with big legs here?

Leg press is 100% bullshit. It is for people who can't or won't squat to feel like they are strong, despite the fact that someone who can leg press 400lbs would struggle to squat 185.

I once saw a little dyel manlet load up 1045lbs on the leg press and do quarter ROM. Guy looked exactly like Richard Simmons. If you have any doubt about how worthless leg press is, ask yourself, what is going on with any exercise that requires a beginner to use over 200lbs to be even remotely challenging?
>>
>>35101886
>high risk exercises
lel
>>
I have back problems and squats hurt me quite a bit. Any advice?
>>
>>35101515

Yes. I do squats and leg press with single legs to maintain even strength, since I only do weightlifting as an accessory to my rowing.
>>
>>35105749
what's your back problem?
>>
>>35105837
nothing diagnosed actually. Just whenever I do squats my lower back kills me for the next few days. none of the youtube videos on form are really helping at all
>>
>>35105434
No one cares about strength
>>
>>35105193
Someone post the video where you can hear the guy's muscles snapping from his bones while squatting
>>
>>35102064
thisx100
>>
>>35102278
Squats are not high risk unless you have been sedentry for decades (thus making you highly immobile)
>>
File: snap city.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
snap city.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>35101515

Go on and have fun op.
>>
File: Sasha nievas.jpg aa.webm (1 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Sasha nievas.jpg aa.webm
1 MB, 640x640
>>35101515
>>
idg why you wouldnt do squats
leg press is assistance, squats are a main movement
>>
Yes.

Heavy weight + High reps (30+) + Drop sets = Gains

Works for me at least. Sore for at least 3 days after. (Been liftin for 5 years.)
>>
File: 32748623647021.jpg (80 KB, 1140x475) Image search: [Google]
32748623647021.jpg
80 KB, 1140x475
>>35103090
>hmmm yeah I've moved house before hmm yup pretty much
>Thinks this is exactly the same as a manual labour job

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>35105434
I only leg press 160lbs
>>
>>35102992
I can't do squats because of injury so I don't give the slightest fuck about them
>>
File: 2015-10-25 14.29.35.png (285 KB, 1064x1064) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-25 14.29.35.png
285 KB, 1064x1064
Have plate loaded Incline leg press.mfw
Have small legs so I do them after squats.
>>
>>35101662
>>35101886
Lmao. Don't listen to this faggot
>>
>>35107902
He's right though
>>
>>35107910
but hes not
>>
I do single leg presses after my back and front squats.
>>
>>35107910
lmfao no he is not.
if anything, only working your prime movers without hitting your stabilizers is objectively more dangerous.
>>
>>35101886
Your mom had a high risk of giving me an std so I was smart and fucked a safer alternative
>>
>>35105434
>I once saw a little dyel manlet load up 1045lbs on the leg press and do quarter ROM

Hell, I vaguely remember Pat Robertson doing that.
>>
Of course you can get big chest with chest machines and big legs with leg press. Its how you train and progress
>>
>>35101515
>not doing freeweight exercises

Enjoy your weak joints and body.
>>
>>35106027
>going below parallel
>ever
>>
>>35110873
>squat vs legpress
>post calves
>>
File: LegPressVsSquats.png (2 MB, 2058x568) Image search: [Google]
LegPressVsSquats.png
2 MB, 2058x568
>>35101515
Deleted my mistake post, here is my before and after 1 yr of squats; make of it what you will.

Most noticable difference for me since switching is core strength and hamstrings.
>>
>>35110873
Take a flashlight with you next time
>>
>>35110920

if anyone wondered what these anons were replying to.

>>35110910
I posted the rest of the leg too, but ok.
>>35110929
Yeah, lighting isn't great in my room atm. need to figure that out so that I can truly impress people on this anonymous imageboard
>>
>>35110920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzL4Os4fZyg
>>
>>35110966
Kekked heartily
>>
File: 1426275372925.jpg (20 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1426275372925.jpg
20 KB, 360x270
>>35101886
Being this DYEL
>>
>>35102951
And? Some situations you put yourself in can have a higher chance of injury than others. Machines are safer than freeweights. Can you get injured on them? Sure but the risk is nowhere near as high
>>
>>35110920
i dont want to insult you, are they bigger now?
i almost cant see any gains
maybe its the light
>>
>>35111137
no insult, they aren't much bigger, that was the point. hamstrings grew a bit, and my core got a lot stonger, but legs overall didn't grow a lot.
>>
>>35111043
>machines are safer than freeweights

I posit that using machines forces your body into an unnatural and fixed plane of movement, causing undue stress and overdeveloping some muscles while ignoring their stabilizers. Free weights, even with poor form, are safer, as the body can naturally compensate for difficult movements.
>>
>>35103607
I noe right
>>
>>35101662
It might be less risk of injury if you don't know what you're doing, but it is NOT superior for leg development
>>
What does it mean if I feel leg press in glutes?

Also, my squat are 2pl8 for 5x5 but my leg press is only about 2.5-3pl8 for 3x8. Why? Please dont say half squat, I go much deeper.

I do 5x3 frontsquat three times a week, opinions on doing 3x8 leg press and leg extensions afterwards for quad size?
>>
>>35102199
yeah listen to this man, just go to your doctor and ask for the squats-gene-test, he will know what you're looking for

no seriously what a retarded fucking post lmao
>>
>>35102731

this. squats make me dizzy and I never looked forward to doing them. I do leg press and leg curls with progressive overload and I'm actually enjoying working out.

Yes, you can squat more than me. Do you want a medal?
>>
>>35101886
>>35102092
this desu
>>
>>35101515
I do single leg leg press.
No.
>>
>>35106054
i've injured my lower back, doing squats makes it flare up now.

Did some leg press today, felt so good to not having searing pain after a leg work out
>>
>>35112700

Stop squats immediately if you are smart. Longevity is 1# in lifting, stick to safe exercises. No exercise is required for gains anyway, as long as it hypertrophys the muscle and allows for progressive overload.
>>
>>35111152

You can just train the stabilizers with different exercises dumbass.
>>
>>35102278
My gym has 3 squat racks and 3 power cages and I almost always have to wait on one because everyone is squatting.
>>
I squat once a week and have a proper warm up beforehand, opening up my hips etc. However, even though my form is literally perfect and I don't even go heavier than 185, my lower right back hurts in certain positions afterwards. I did have pretty bad hyper lordosis, maybe this fucked my back up? It's better now and I stretch properly everyday and foam roll etc to make sure my hips and hammies aren't too tight. However it seems squats always hurt the lower right part of my back no matter what. Fucking gay.
>>
>>35112879

Stop squats immediately, what you are doing is not sustainable and will lead to injury and loss of gains.

People say that squats are safe with perfect form, which is false. It can't be performed safely by everyone. If you have a short torso and long legs the shear on your back and knees will be much greater than someone with short limbs long torso, which is the optimal build for squats. Strong joints and ligaments is also favorable.
Form isn't everything, you will see many strong people using shit form that would paralyze the average guy. They are gifted with a strong skeletal system and ligaments.

Squats are overrated and won't give you more gains than other lifts, if anything they are worse for your lower body than leg press because you are limited by back strength. Just find out what works for you, don't be afraid to leg press just because you don't want to be called a pussy by a bunch of autists on a forum.
>>
>>35113373
Crazy description man. I'm 6'5" and my legs are very long. What would you recommend for legs then. I've literally been squatting for years now. Fuck.
>>
>>35107762
Exactly. Tell this bitch to fill sandbags in the Iraq summer for hours at a time to build up a fortication in full kit and rifle. Fucking broads.

Gtfo off our board and cook us some chicken breast.
>>
>>35113411

For quads do some macine exercises, like leg press or hack squat machine.
There aren't many other freeweight options other than lunges which are awkward. Front squat are way easier to perform for someone with long limbs and are easier on the back. They still put pressure on the spine though.

For glutes hip thrusts are pretty safe. Hyperextensions can hit the glutes hard too if you set up in a way that it targets more glute than back. Or some other glute machine exercise.

Glute ham raise, russian leg curls or leg curl machine for hamstrings.

Just stop squats if you are smart, leave it to the powerlifter wannabes that will be injured someday and put out of the gym.
>>
>>35102064
That looks like a girl I follow on the gram... that you jessica Kelly?
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.