[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone train for strength and do mma/boxing on the side?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: alistair-overeem-denied-1.jpg (119 KB, 525x370) Image search: [Google]
alistair-overeem-denied-1.jpg
119 KB, 525x370
My main goal is developing strength for powerlifting, but I want to learn how to fight properly and increase general fitness. I am a little concerned about the increased risk of injury. Any of you phaggots do both? Got any advice?

I will use the juice in a year or two also, but would be doing both natty for now.
>>
>>35099431

FYI: first 6 months will be spent on BJJ.
>>
If strength is your thing then look into a grappling art.

Being really big can hold you back a lot in boxing but it will help a lot in judo, bjj or wrestling.
>>
>>35099459

The MMA gym I'll be going will teach striking, BJJ, and wrestling. I can already box a bit as I did it for a bit when I was younger, but I also have a guy to teach me that (an ex-welterweight champ), but he's not from that MMA gym.

In this gym they teach newbies BJJ to build a base. The place looks decent, the guy that teaches the striking is an ex-kick boxing champ and the guy that teaches BJJ has competed at a high level.

I'm currently 6'4 and 105kg, but plan to get to 120 or 130.
>>
>>35099459

What do you think of the training frequency? Strength training will be set at 3 days per week (mon, wed, fri). I was thinking of doing MMA initially only once per week, either on tuesday or saturday. Downside with that is that would work out as 52 sessions per year.
>>
No1 else does MMA and lifting/strength training?
>>
File: 1438578380727.jpg (73 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1438578380727.jpg
73 KB, 500x667
>>35099431
Is this proof you cant be aesthetic with a chestgap?
>>
File: 20151130_215706.jpg (204 KB, 476x814) Image search: [Google]
20151130_215706.jpg
204 KB, 476x814
I know Pete "too tall" Fields used to be a Boxer, and a Pro Rugby player.

Now he's a bodybuilder, but he trains in a hybrid strongman style with log clean & presses, raw DL's, deep ass to grass squats, with high volume. Also does heavy bag work for his cardio still.

Not natty, but he is 6'10" and weighed 357.5 pounds (took picture of scale recently on his FB page).

You can get pretty big/strong and stay athletic.

Just don't go full mass monster mode like Robert Butneika who is an IFBB pro AND a competitive MMA guy at the same time. Sure he's 2-0 right now, but he is clumsy & sloppy in the ring with his 24" arms none the less.
>>
File: rmk9yd.jpg (21 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
rmk9yd.jpg
21 KB, 600x800
>>35100340
>that thing
>aesthetic

Pick one
>>
>>35100357

I don't aim to compete mate, just for self-defense and general fitness. I don't believe it's a good idea to compete in MMA with one foot in the door and one foot out. Powerlifitng is my main focus.
>>
I've been looking to add jiu jitsu for fun.

Would an hour a week be enough or am I wasting my time?
>>
>>35100479
Better than nothing.
>>
>>35099431
Injuries won't be a major issue unless you want to compete or have a really bad coach who doesn't check your form properly. I say go for it. I've been doing BJJ for 6 years and MMA for 1. No regrets. Besides, because they're a one man sport you can make your own schedule instead of being tied to a team. Perfect if you're in full time employment.

>>35100479
Wouldn't call it a waste of time but your progress will be very slow. It will also be a waste of money as most gyms will have 3 classes or more per week packages and charge an absurd amount for single classes. You will either pay that higher price or know you're essentially paying for something you aren't using the the fullest.
>>
>>35100853

Op here.This is the place I'll be training. http://www.12gaugemma.com/

They get complete beginners to first do at least 6 months of BJJ as a base for the rest of MMA. What do you think of that?
>>
>>35100363
Is that an old pick of tiny or has he lost a ton of mass? I remember him looking a lot bigger
>>
>>35100853
>progress will be very slow

That is my biggest worry. I was thinking maybe I could do private lessons and maybe two half-hours a week? I've got the money, I just don't have the time.
>>
>>35100363

You turning this into a twink thread bruh?
>>
>>35100905
It depends on your goal. Are their prices friendly? Their head coach has a 12-11 MMA record and his last 3 fights were all losses.
Their only BJJ coach is a "purple belt" which not only is way below what you would expect from a coach (I'm a purple belt myself), they don't even mention who he trained under. Will he be the one giving you the 6 months BJJ base? 6 Months under a purple belt coach with only 6 years experience won't teach you a lot. I hate being a downer but my personal opinion is find a different gym.

>>35100935
If money isn't a problem, great. But one hour once a week is better than two half hour classes a week. You can't do shit in half an hour and half of it will be spent warming up/stretching.
>>
>>35101003

Don't worry mate, I appreciate the honesty. The head coach will do the majority of the teaching from what I know. The reason I've picked this gym is because it's closest, the other three are on the other side of the city.

Here are the three other gyms in my city

http://www.manchester-mma.com/
http://www.fightingfitmartialarts.co.uk/
http://www.sbgmanchester.com/

If one of these gyms are leagues ahead the first one, then I'll consider it, despite the extra commute (which will be a pain in the ass).
>>
>>35101003

The 3 I've linked are MMA gyms, there are some that exclusively do BJJ.

Like these two.

http://www.graciebarramanchester.co.uk/instructors/

http://factorybjj.com/
>>
>>35099431
Can I compete in amateur boxing if
>I'm already 21
>I have really shitty shoulder/neck genetics in terms how much work they can take (narrow shoulder build and scoliosis in the upper spine)
>still worry about m-muh aesthetics

Dunno guys I've been lifting weights for about two years now and I feel like I don't really have much of a goal anymore. I don't want to compete in bodybuilding and I'm not built to compete in powerlifting (said shitty shoulders + a permanent elbow injury make it so that I'll never bench more than 2pl8 without messing my shit up)
Was thinking about going hard at boxing with the end goal of competing some time (you know, not to have a career some time, but to kind of test what I'm capable by having a few fights).
I've been going to a boxing gym for about a month now and I love the training, but I feel like I'm not made for competing.
>there a 15 year olds at my boxing gym that seem to be a great deal better at it than I am...and if I fight in adult class I'll probably facing people who have been training since their childhood
>already now it greatly conflicts with lifting weights because my shoulder is being worked all the time and I take 4 shits a day because of the food I have to eat to make up for the calories lost. I've cut down weights training to twice a week currently. Also the more I get to know the topic, the more I realize that a lot of fighters that aren't making a shitton of money by marketing their bodies for sponsoring do actually have pretty unaesthetic bodies.

Right now I'm thinking I might cut down boxing to once a week for fun and cardio and focus on lifting weights and forget about competing in any sports ever. Feels bad man.
>>
>>35099489
You sound like a big guy
>>35099431
Op I've never lifted in my life except for some few months years ago after that I've been training mma for almost 3 years and doing only bjj right now, I'm sure I can kick the ass of every not trained person but I'm not remotely aesthetic, I'll recomend to alternate between grappling and boxing 1 day 1 hour each and the next day lift weights other 2 hours so u train a total of 6 days and rest the last one.
>>
File: come at me mate.jpg (133 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
come at me mate.jpg
133 KB, 640x640
>>35101143
2nd and 3rd links look good, better than your current choice for sure.

>>35101161
Gracie Barra is a safe bet even though not everyone likes their style. Don't know about the second one because no info about the coaches on the site.

Also didn't know you were from manchester m8. I train at Stealth.
>>
>>35101439

I was going to link stealth, but that's deffo too far for me mate.
>>
>>35101439

Oh and, fucking hell, it's a small world!
>>
>>35101449
alright, just stay away from union bjj they're cunts
>>
>>35101461

Lmao. How come?
>>
File: 1973780-rock2.jpg (30 KB, 485x640) Image search: [Google]
1973780-rock2.jpg
30 KB, 485x640
>>35100448

If that is the case, and just want some basic defense so you don't get punked buy just anyone, then BOXING.

BJJ is also good, but exhausting enough that it could interfeer with your powerlifting training and recover.

Boxing is its own cardio, and does not over tax your ability to recover. In fact working on puching speed and hitting the heavy bag would likely enhance your BP because it will help develop explosive speed.

Also boxing can quickly end a scrap if a guy tries to mess with you. It's quick and effective when you knock a guy down hard.

Yes you won't be good against a BJJ guy or quality wrestler if he takes you to the ground... buuuut in real life guys who are skilled BJJ are NOT the idiots who go around punking guys and starting shit for no reason.
>>
>>35101474
essentially a scam, students don't seem to learn shit because I rarely even see them in tournaments. It's always the coaches who compete. Also two of the coaches there are chavs with a criminal record kek
>>
>>35101510

Yes, I definitely don't want to be around chavs. Just read some stuff about your head coach, I'm impressed!
>>
>>35101624
I don't always get to train with the head coach, but yeah he is very skilled. Get to talk with him often, really down to earth.

As for the chavs, it would suck to train with them but I love going against them in tournaments.
>>
>>35100921
old pic, 2010 or 2009. Also the pics where he is big he plays with lighting a lot
>>
>>35101679

What advice would you give to a new guy? Other than shut your mouth, listen and check your ego.
>>
>>35103257
Apart from that,
Wash yourself and your gi, don't be the guy everyone hates to roll with because he smells of blue cheese and gets everyone skin fungus.
Cut your nails.
Respect yours and other students limits, getting injured or injuring someone else because you were reckless is the fastest way to be hated.
And have fun, at the end of the day you're paying for all this, so make the best of it.
>>
Wanna join a boxing gym but i'm too intimidated, not because i'm afraid to sparr or fight or anything just know i'm going to have to deal with a bunch of rough cunts and i'm pretty autistic.
>>
>>35100905
Looks like a mcdojo my friend
>>
>>35104959

What about the others I have linked?
>>
>>35104959

The fucks a mcdojo?
>>
>>35105123
just a dojo that trains you to get the belt or level, fast food of resteraunts
>>
>>35101143
SBG is a great gym.
>>
File: 1443314339883.jpg (43 KB, 499x562) Image search: [Google]
1443314339883.jpg
43 KB, 499x562
>>35103424
I used to box, my advice is to just don't talk much. Talk enough to let people know you are not an autist but not enough to drop your spaghetti. (saying high and talking about the latest fight is well enough). Get to know your trainer, don't complain about training methods and never pussy out of a sparring session you have previously agreed to
>>
>>35099459
>not OP:
Are there different body-types that are better suited to Judo/BJJ? I know grappler types tend to be short and stocky, but i'm a taller guy with long limbs and I'm more suited to pulling lifts (deadlift, row, powerclean) than pushing (squat, bench, OHP)
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.