[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /fit/ So I've made the decision to join the army
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: army-logo.jpg (132 KB, 1040x1376) Image search: [Google]
army-logo.jpg
132 KB, 1040x1376
Hello /fit/

So I've made the decision to join the army to start off my life with all the amenities that comes with (I seen past all the normal recruiter stuff, before anyone asks) and am going to MEPS Wednesday .

My question is:

I really need to get in shape before Basic(after I finish my last year of HS, one more semester left) so it isn't necessarily as much hell as if I hadn't prepared

Catch is that, while I'm not a landwhale nor am I immensely skinny ( 6'4" 245lbs) I have NO CLUE on where to start and what to escalate to.

Also my willpower when it comes to decent food is horrid, I love to eat not particularly healthy things in somewhat large amounts (again not like that of a very large person, but say on fried chicken night, I would eat about three legs and a thigh if I'm really hungry)

I'm going to do the weekly future solider/PT thing my recruiter does,but what else should I start with?

Any advice is appreciated
>>
>>35097565
Have a good time being deployed to Syria within the next 4 years, Anon.
>>
>>35097565
I highly suggest you do a lot of research on fractional-reserve banking before joining, so you know exactly who/what you are fighting for.

If you want to fight to protect that global monetary system, and all the things that come with it. Then go for it.

I just don't want you to lie dying one day, then realize what it is you traded your life for.
>>
>>35097565
>6'4"
>245lbs
>I love to eat
>I'm not a landwhale
Anon I have bad news
>>
>>35097586

>This libtard conspiracy theorist in every military thread
>refuses to acknowledge sandmonkeys trying to destroy the world

Good for you OP, it'll give you structure and a purpose. Biggest issue will be your endurance. Focus on HIIT. Download the beep test and practice doing beep test its a really easy format to do HIIT and push yourself for better results each time. Then implement basic calisthenics stuff, look up 100 pushups routine etc. The fitness requirements for most armys these days are piss poor unless you're trying to get into some kind of special ops
>>
>>35097586
>>35097576
Thanks for the concern

Trust me I know I may be involved in some shit, and while I don't mind it as its apart of the job,it is pretty unnerving.

I don't beleive in alot of what the govt does, but I could so use the college payments and income that comes with it, plus it'll help me later in life
>>
>>35097614
I admit I'm a tad pudgy, but not like a stereotype /b/goer
>>
>>35097565
run.
that is all.
maybe pullups - strict form.

everything in the basic pt test is piss - the run might be a challenge if you are not fit/fast enough.

just exercise portion control. start out eating the same crap you do now - but always leave some, and throw it out. then try to swap a thing or two here and there for healthier options. drink more water so you don't drink other shit. just improve things gradually.

and run.
get C25K and do it. care not to run too much to start, your body must adapt to the stresses of running if you have not done much running up to now.

start now.
>>
Literally just got back from basic and AIT a few weeks ago.
What'dya wanna know?
>Ft. Sill
> FiSTer
>>
>>35097615
If I don't find another MOS of interest between now and MEPS, 11BB11X was my initial thought

How could I go about long endurance cardio and eventually not have the Chest pounding burn feeling (like after dashing to the bus stop bc I nearly missed the bus this morning)I despise, though I know I have to deal with
>>
>>35097615
>>refuses to acknowledge sandmonkeys trying to destroy the world

Have you ever stopped to think about why they REALLY hate us?

CIA induced coups +killing their people for hundreds of years (before they ever killed us)

There area plethora of other reasons, not to mention the profitability of war in general.
>>
>>35097660
Pretty much anything you have

Fortunate of you to pop in :D
>>
>>35097680
11B/11X I mean
>>
>>35097620
>but I could so use the college payments and income that comes with it, plus it'll help me later in life
That is a valid point and makes a LOT of sense.

The sad reality of what is likely to happen after your service, is what most Vets go through. Severe psychological trauma and homelessness due to the trauma.

The money and college incentives are just to lure you.That stats show a different picture of what your future could be.
>>
>>35097565

Just do the right thing and don't enlist for some bullshit pussy desk job. Go 11b or 68w or whatever the fuck the combat engineer MOS is.

Also, start sprinting everywhere.

No one gives a shit if you can't do push ups. You fall out of a run just one fucking time and you're marked for a total piece of shit.
>>
>>35097712
This I am aware of. Though I can't fully do so prior to servjng, I have prepped to the best of my ability for it as I am today. However the reality, it fortunately is the worst case scenario.

It is honestly sad that it is even a remote possibility and yet we have fast food workers asking for more than what service members make
>>
I've been enlisted in the Navy coming up on a year in Feb. Finishing my last days of school/AIT/whatever ArmyFags call it.
As someone who lost ~60 lbs in 6 months to join, here's my advice:
>if you want to get ahead, just run and do situps/push ups. Doesn't matter how, just do them. 5 sets to failure with a few minutes for push ups/sit ups 5 days a week is great, and run at least 10 miles a week, preferably 3 miles at a time so the 2 mile PRT won't wind you.
>Eat right. Read the sticky, use MyFitnessPal. Just eat well and you'll be a stud compared to everyone else after 5 months.
>Be well aware of your contract. Talk to /fit/, check out the /k/ enlistment threads, google shit, even go to Reddit. Knowledge is power
>Have goals. Don't just say "hurr durr I might do 4 or 20 who knows. Idiots can't answer that question. HAVE A PLAN.
I'll be around for a bit if you need general enlistment advice.
>Find an MOS you want and fight for it. All of the branches have their specific pros and cons, but if there's a Navy or Chair Force occupation you really want, desk life or ship life for 4-6 years might be worth it if you set yourself up for life.
>>
>>35097747
Well that's more of a problem with our monetary system in general, which you are willing to put your life on the line for.
>>
>>35097733
Will keep that in mind. Also won't try to get roasted either as I at the current time cantdo pushups properly for shit
>>
>>35097747
>yet we have fast food workers asking for more than what service members make
>BAH, BAS, Uniform allowances, Hazard Pay, Overseas Pay, Tricare
Don't believe the "life on the line for less than 10 dollars" bullshit. You don't make money from your paycheck in the service, you make it from the free shit you don't think about paying for until you're 25.
>>
>>35097586
how about you do some research into radical islam, branwashed schizophrenic ?
>>
>>35097757
My ideal MOS path is 18B, as I'm pretty well versed in firearms as is, but I want to be that guy that can pickup/use any weapons system I come across with efficiency
>>
>>35097788
oh boy are you joining up? how much are you running a day?
>>
>>35097774
I do enjoy the fact of free housing(barracks) for single soldiers (save for having to pay for internet) which allows more for savings and spending
>>
>>>35097565 (OP)
Scooby has an entire series on this, also keep in mind that when only the raw number of reps counts you should "cheat" as much as permissible by the rules.

And thank you for your decision.
>>
>>35097800
At this current time? None :/

Once I get my shit straight and figure out a plan/regimen? Was thinking a mile a day and going from there and building up
>>
>>35097788
Offffffffff course 18B. Here's the advice I give everyone who walks out of high school looking for something labeled SF:
What happens if you don't get it? What other MOS do you like? What do you want to do after the service? Can you meet the physical requirements already? Have you talked with real dudes who went through? How about dudes who failed?

I'm at a school that is very common for BUD/S (SEAL) drops to go to. Let me tell you, most of them hate it because they joined to run and gun and be heroes but now their fixing printers and pinging routers. They look forward from day one to going through buds again, and very rarely do they make it. They get stuck as IT3s for 6 years, or get masted for drinking, than tell their BUD/s stories the rest of their lives working and bullshit jobs or getting shitty degress they never considered getting.

Don't let that be you. I'm not sure how, and I'm not saying it will be, but whether you do it or not make sure the fat manlet on 4chan wasn't right about you.
>>
>>35097712
>Severe psychological trauma and homelessness due to the trauma.
this misconception stems from the fact that desperate homeless people usually pretend to be vets when they're not (for obvious reasons)

of course the liberal media or academics won't ever touch this subject
>>
>>35097827
i was a 31b now a 11b but i tried our 18, i was an ex college distance runner and what really killed me was the heavy ruck shit killed me and i failed due to injury, i was invited to come back but fuck, i was running no less than 5 miles a day 6 days a week, some ranger guys do too, its a given to atleast max out the PFT the vast majority of guys who pass sfas have more than 300 also you cant be adumb as shit you gotta have some aptitude as you have to learn a language
>>
>>35097620
>I don't beleive in alot of what the govt does
Implying the government has anything to do with it.

The monetary system decides what the government does. (Lobbying+presidential campaigns being battles of money)
>>
>>35097836
Hence I said IDEAL haha

I know, unless I score huge on the ASVAB and all the other scores for that matter,I can't point and its mine. Plus SF is 21+ I believe, and I'm just 18.

And I know any sort of SF training is going to be far tougher.

I'm not the average 'all the military does is shoot shit and blow fuckers up" type
>>
>>35097691
Welp. Nowadays basic is fuckin easy. I guess it all really depends on where you go though, and what your drill sergeants are like. Actually now that i think of it, they just made some changes to basic. You'll get taught camoflauge and have more hand to hand combat training (i didnt get shit). Make sure you choose an MOS you'll like. I was originally 13B, then snagged an 11B opening, and then changed again to 13F. Im happy as hell with 13F so far, I wanted infantry, but this came with a 15k bonus, and i still roll with em, but my job is fire support. How to make basic easy? Don't go in the summer. All the split op/immature faggots are sent in the summer and if you want a good training experience, DO NOT go during that time. Also start training your push ups the "correct" way (graders are fags about form). Start running a mile everyday, and then bump it to 2 miles every other day, and then to 3 every other day if you have the time (this'll help a lot). Shoot me some questions, i dont really know what to talk about.
>>
>>35097858
Nah, there's a decent chunk of the homeless population that are vets, but not from recent conflicts. The numbers are pretty inflated from Vietnam which was very much a social issue. The real problem with the current conflicts are brain injuries and shitty pysch coverage for discharged vets. It's a valid issue but not for the reasons necessarily anon is talking about.
>>
>>35097883
do you have an vids/examples of army form pushups?
>>
>>35097686
Ahahaha like the conquest of Persia, byzantium, Balkans, Spain, South Italy, Sicilia etc.
Eat shit Saracen
>>
>>35097903
Im keking so hard right now
>>
>>35097880
Yo son, you're going to MEPS. You will pick your contract. Pick a good one, and make sure you have that plan. I enlisted at 21 after I fucked up 2 years at a over-priced private uni. I talk to plenty of 18 year olds like yourself who let the service fuck them up. Maybe it's cuz I'm tired or whatever but I'll try to be less grumpy. Treat the service as a job with weird rules. Do some shit you can really put your mind to and get the most out of, and for the love of god something that will carry over to the civilian world. Even if you're 13B get your hands on comms or computer equipment or however that works.
>>
>>35097903
> hundreds of years (before they ever killed us)
I apologize, that sentence was written incorrectly, it's getting late.

"We have been killing their people for nearly a hundred years"*
>>
>>35097883
When would be ideal to go to basic, in that case (if I have a choice)?

Once the phase hits that of leaning more off exercise and more on hands on stuff (range time and the like) how often is weapons training?

Is the gas chamber as bad as they say?
>>
>>35097888
"vets" (from young to people in their 90's) is a massive chunk of the entire male population. so whether we're talking about homelessness or suicides or whatever, there will always be a decent representation.

but again, people who get fucked up from sniffing glue or overdoing meth or whatever will also jump on the bandwagon of this media perpetuated meme. it's a decent survival strategy.
>>
>>35097880
There is an age limit on the 18 series. I believe you have to be at least 20 or 21 to qualify. Even if you were mentally tough and physically fit, you couldn't be an 18B.
>>
>>35097968
I think you're talking shit bruh. It's pretty easy to substantiate if someone's a vet or not. You google their fucking name or ask a vet service to...well....vet them. The stats are perpetuated by the media, even the service acknowledges it.
>>
>>35097897
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aBTUaQy-toE
The most important things to take away from this is make sure you go down far enough and when you come up, your arms are fully extended. Also, practice next to a mirror so you can keep your body in a generally straight line (as shown in the video). Keeping your body straight and moving as 1 unit is key.
>>
>>35097978
This I do know. Recruiter said so as well, and I could apply to switch all that entire process with training included once I meet all requirements, though it isn't guarantee
>>
>>35097984
there's a huge difference between actual stats (see my first point) and insanely inflated and media perpetuated public perception (see my second point)

and no, the liberal media will not be going around vetting vets. that is contrary to their agenda.
>>
File: 1447454825540.jpg (437 KB, 614x1024) Image search: [Google]
1447454825540.jpg
437 KB, 614x1024
>>35097565
What did you get on your GT and asvab?
if you score a 95 or above you get to pick your job through a preferred wait list. I scored a 99 and get to pick (basically) any job in the airforce.
>>
>>35098019
I kinda get your point. The VA itself says that 12% of the homeless pop are veterans, which is like 50000. Given there census but like 20 million vets I get your viewpoint. But you gotta remember that boat jokey's like me or my dad are considered veterans. If you narrow the number to combat veterans, you might get a more realistic statistic.

Also I think you're getting some confirmation bias or you're just spinning anon's post. The problem isn't that combat vets are notoriously homeless, its that they're not being taken care off. I had this conversation with an HM last week, but VA hospitals suck dick, and the organization blows. That's the controversy as of late, homelessness is more of a vietnam thing like I was saying.
>>
>>35098075
not him but damn i got a 94 just short of 95
>>
>>35098075
I take it Wed.of this week. I scored a 65 on the practice one when I very first met my recruiter
>>
>>35098093
Prepare to be "needs of the Army"
>>
>>35098093
OP here

Note that the practice isn't anywhere near the scale (if you didn't take a pretest) and recruiter says he pretty much guarantees and bets on me scoring pretty high
>>
>>35098097
at what score am i not needs of the army?
>>
>>35098107
Not OP

THIS is OP however

I know low scores 75 and somewhat below (if I remember right) are pretty par
>>
>>35098107
Assuming that's a reflection of the actual ASVAB, I'd say you'd look for like 85+. That was the case for Navy, which is a bit different because then you start getting into issues about your record or whether you're gonna get a security clearance. Not sure if that's the case for Army, but generally 90+ they'll let you choose.
>>
>>35097930
Late summer/early fall or early/mid spring is probably the best times to go. The weather wont be too extreme and you won't be going during the early summer rush of high school kids.
As for marksmanship, you'll start that in white phase, which usually starts week 3. You'll be going to the range almost every day, but that doesnt mean youll be shooting almost everyday. Some days we went out and I sat in the sun on the fucking bleachers for 6 hours trying (but failing) to stay awake. Marksmanship lasts 2-3 weeks. In blue phase (week 6-9) you'll go to the U.S. Weapons range for a day, where you shoot the M249, M240B, M203 (paint rounds), and AT-4. Hold the boner though, you actually shoot a 9 mil round using an adapter for the at-4 which is lame as fuck. The machine guns are fukin sweet tho.
The gas chamber...it's different for everybody. Some of my buddies thought it wasnt that bad, and wanted to go again. Me personally: fuck that place. Fuckin sucked shit. I couldnt even finish the first sentence of the soldiers creed before i was gagging and choking at the same fucking time. Didnt bother my skin though. Felt like a mild sunburn. For me though it was just a scary environment, which made me nervous and uncomfortable. A dark, hot, cement block room dimly lit by a single light bulb hanging from the center. I almost felt like i was going to panic even before the gas part, but just breathe slowly and keep calm. Everybody comes out fine. And seriously, it gets better the very instant you step back out into fresh air, so that was nice. Sorry if this is all just a big ramble, im just trying to paint a picture for ya.
>>
>>35098126
>And seriously, it gets better the very instant you step back out into fresh air, so that was nice.
What gas do you guys get? I could breathe as soon as I stepped out of the CS gas we got, but damn my eyes burned the rest of the fucking day. OC is infinitely fucking worse too, do yall ever get that?
>>
File: Do not join the military.png (313 KB, 1400x2000) Image search: [Google]
Do not join the military.png
313 KB, 1400x2000
>>35097565
>>
>>35098075
Forgot to mention it is called the exceptionally well qualified list. For reference.
>>
>>35098142
We got CS gas im pretty sure. Never heard of OC. I didnt have any problems following the gas chamber. Did you rub/wipe your eyes? I made sure not to touch anything with my hands, and I changed ACU's soon as we got back.
>>
>>35098155
And this is why I said have a plan. I can guarantee that shit about Navy was written by some kid out of high school with the fucking freedom boner in his pants. The military, especially the way he talks about leadership and duty, is no worse than real life. The CEOs and management of even the most notoriously comfy tech companies still act much the same. Every "leader" I've had between basic, A school, and C school has been way better than the civilian supervisors and bosses I've had, if only because of some shit in the service called "accountability." Plus, if you plan your finances right and pick the right rate, all you do is a shitty job for 4 years to get whatever education you want WITH housing expenses thanks to the GI and Post-9/11. I know IT3s and IT2s who walked after their 4+2 year contracts and have no student debt and are already miles ahead of their peers in college thanks to the fact that they actually got certs and gave a shit.

>>35098170
I did everything right. Even sounded off and everything before it hit me. I'm starting to think the fans they had blowing kinda dicked me hard. And as for OC spray, consider yourself lucky. I've done it once at A school just to get the qual out of the way, but I'll probably have to do it again if I get assigned another ship after the cert expires. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrrV30gnt7g
>>
>>35098082
if you're interested in the specific demographic, apparently, this study debunks the homeless combat vet myth.

the biggest representation among homeless population then was found to be vets of immediate post-Vietnam era (when there was no war or even major conflict, plus draft was abolished) even compared to Vietnam era.

>Rosenheck, R., Bassuk, E., & Salomon, A. (1998). Special populations of homeless Veterans. In L. B. Fosburg & D. L. Dennis (Eds.), Practical lessons: The 1998 Symposium on Homelessness Research. Washington DC: US Department of Housing and Urban Development.
>>
>>35098214
>98
Nigga wut? How does that factor for OIF and OEF? There's like 14 years of combat vets post-dating that study. I see what you're saying, but still ignoring my point of a) the VA put out the numbers and b) the homelessness issues is small pickens compared to the other part of that post: psychological and brain injury related issues in non-homless vets.
>>
>>35098225
I'm addressing your misconception that combat veterans are the most homeless

in 1998 under the Democrat Clinton administration they did a study and discovered that the most represented among the homeless were people who have never seen any combat because of the time when they served. even compared to people who served immediately before them and went through Vietnam. see how full of fuck your head is?
>>
>>35098204
Yeah it might have been those fans blowing more of it into your eyes. That OC spray looks intense haha! I can imagine your eyes just locking shut.
>>
>>35098272
Ok sure. That was still me rationalizing statistics you were implying existed or were represented. My point still stands such that there is fucked up shit happening to discharged service members and combat vets that the original anon was referencing. I haven't seen an article about veteran homelessness in a while, but I'm sure if you start factoring in suicide rates and TBI/PTSD, shit gets real pretty quick.
>>
>>35098289
original anon said this:

>Severe psychological trauma and homelessness due to the trauma.

can you tell me what kind of trauma the post-Vietnam volunteers went through? because it's a fact that they were found being the most homeless in that 1998 study.

while the job is obviously dangerous, unfortunately, some people are just fucked up and would end up badly anyway and military service fails to "cure" them all. it's not clear at all that war makes the outcomes worse / in fact that study implies the exact opposite. as is often in life, just think of the cases of spoiled brats vs. kids learning responsibility and growing up with adversity.
>>
>>35098327
>it's not clear at all that war makes the outcomes worse

If this were true, then Hollywood would have made a LOT less money off war movie tropes.

How can you say war doesn't cause an increase in psychological damage?
>>
File: elliotlikes.jpg (112 KB, 759x1092) Image search: [Google]
elliotlikes.jpg
112 KB, 759x1092
>have one life
>sell it to elite
jej
>>
O do thanks for all the help and glad I awoke to this not being 404'd

Feel free to say anything else pertaining to joining, or prepping for basic
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.