[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cardio thread, HIIT not invited edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: triathlon-running.jpg (38 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
triathlon-running.jpg
38 KB, 450x300
Cardio thread, HIIT not invited edition
>>
>>35092878
I'm going for a 26 minute run soon. 5 min warm up, 26 min running at 10kph and 5 min cool down. another 4 runs after that and i'll be at my 5k run goal, i can get to a full 30 min 5k now i think, but this steady progression program has taken me from 2k with a 190 heart rate, to over 4k with a 165 heart rate, so i'll stick to it.

Because really, if you can't run 5k in 30min, you can't actually call yourself fit can you?
>>
>>35092878
Is it possible to pull off a successful bulk while maintaining/increase run performance?
>>
File: the gay gatsby 1.png (69 KB, 224x239) Image search: [Google]
the gay gatsby 1.png
69 KB, 224x239
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwrU_eQ8a0
you know it to be true
>>
>>35093321
If by performance you means being able to run further/longer in a steady-state yes.

It will have little to no effect on your overall TDEE if you are running <2 hours a day.
>>
Where do you guys stand on the steady state cardio not helping with fat loss debates?
>>
>>35095689
>Are you lifting already (3+months) and will continue to keep lifting?

>Would you be doing steady state cardio for <2 hours a day

>Do you NOT play a sport that needs endurance?

If you answered yes to all of those, do HIIT with your time instead. It will not make you lose weight.

Lifting= Trade cartilage for muscle mass
Steady-State cardio= Trade cartilage for being able to run further/longer.
>>
>>35095689
http://body.io/women-not-run/

The article says women, but the information applies to both sexes, he only says women because the steady-state cardio industry specifically targets women.

This guys is a quantum physicist turned nutritionist.
>>
>>35095689
Yea you lose fat, gg.
>>
>>35095669
>It will have little to no effect on your overall TDEE if you are running <2 hours a day.
This has been debunked
>>
>>35095929
Where? how?
>>
I've started using the rowing machine quite a bit, and I like it a whole ton. Much more enjoyable for me than running. My CC offers swimming classes, so next term I might sign up and see if I like it as a cardio.

>Rowing machine vs Running vs Swimming (results, not enjoyability)
>why
>>
>>35095977
Swimming allows you to reach the heart rate needed to be in steady-state cardio, with the LEAST overall damage to your cartilage. (because you are in water)

The trade off is far more favorable with swimming
>>
>>35092878
>cardio thread
>example image has the worst running form imaginable

great job m8
>>
>>35095774
>This guys is a quantum physicist turned nutritionist.

might as well say he used to be jesus
>>
>>35096009
I think it means he has above average intelligence compared to the typical "look at my nutrition and sports science degree huuuur"
>>
Fat powerlifter man here.

Want to lose some fat and gain some endurance so I picked up a jump rope and I'm getting into doing it multiple times a week because jumping rope is fucking hard and the best cardio. Sound good?
>>
>>35095934
The study that gets touted here doesn't actually say anything about cardio for weight loss. It's comparing calorie deficit by diet to calorie deficit by exercise, not diet vs diet + exercise.
>>
>>35096152
yeah sounds good. If your knees start to get sore try bike or swim
>>
>>35096177
You should re-read the study.
It was
CR group= 500 cal deficit through diet
Cr+EX group= 250 cal defect through diet, 250 cal deficit through cardio
>>
>>35096177
You didn't even read the study anon =[
I know it's terrifying thinking all your steady-state cardio was probably worthless, but better to realize now than never. We all have to swallow the pill.

That fear is no excuse to simply not let yourself read the information provided. Don't shelter yourself from truth, for being wrong is the only way to become smarter.
>>
>>35096245
either way the deficit is the same, so the weight loss is obviously the same.
>>
>>35096275
but the weight loss wasmn't the same in the study, the CR group lost twice as fast.

That's why there were two, 300+ post threads about it.
>>
>live in Colorado
>going for a hike on a beautiful day in the mountains
>stop to get gas on the way
>see people running on a treadmill in a gym

Why do people run inside when there is nice weather?
>>
I simply want heart and lung health. Can I just swim for this?
>>
>>35096366
Yes, although I'd still argue that HIIT training will give you the SAME results in roughly 1/4 the time. It's a trade of time/effort when choosing between the two.
>>
>>35092930
/thread
If you can't run sub 8 minute miles you aren't fit.
If you can't run 2+ miles with sprint intervals, you aren't fit.

>>35093321
Running only has a negative impact when you are doing long distance regularly throughout the week. No different than squatting two days in a row.
Optimally you shouldn't run more than 30 miles a week to be safe and prevent injury.
You can run up to 40 miles a week though.
>>
>>35096426
Running only has a negative impact when you are doing long distance regularly throughout the week. No different than squatting two days in a row.
Optimally you shouldn't run more than 30 miles a week to be safe and prevent injury.

Every step you take in life, regardless of if you are running or not. Is eroding your finite amount of knee cartilage, decreasing how long you can go through life before knee pain finally hits.
>>
>>35096533
Woops didn't greentext
>Running only has a negative impact when you are doing long distance regularly throughout the week. No different than squatting two days in a row.
>>
Swimbros ww@?

Who /sneak peak underwater at the qts in the other lane/ here?
>>
Fatty powerlifter, don't really care about aerobic performance, I just don't want to get fucking heart disease, so I figure I should do something cardio-y. It needs to:
>not effect recovery from daily squatting
>low impact
>keep my arteries from exploding

I feel like getting a dogbro and taking him for long walks daily is too low intensity, though I plan on doing that anyways.

Is the stationary bike what I'm looking for?
>>
>>35096548
I swim most days but I use swimming as my cooldown cardio, ususally 15-20 low intensity swimming after 30 minutes of intense cardio

Intense cardio is usually Exercise bike, Boxing or Rowing
>>
>>35096533
Um duh?
Newsflash
>no matter how hard you work, no matter how healthy you eat
>Every single cell that reproduces in your body has less than 1% degradation.
>Eventually this will stop a portion of your body from optimally performing
>Eventually this will kill you.
So what if I have knee pain?
I'd rather that, than a weak heart like most body builders have because they never do SS.
Not enough people work the aerobic energy system of their bodies and focus too much on the anaerobic energy system.
>mfw lifters are out of breath going up a flight of stairs.
>look just like their fat counterparts
pathetic.
>>
>>35096680
Because you can get the same resting heart rate through HIIT, in 1/4 the time=less knee damage overall for the same results.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.