[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to be a strongman. I want to compete in a big strongman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: szavickas.jpg (14 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
szavickas.jpg
14 KB, 236x354
I want to be a strongman. I want to compete in a big strongman competition one day. What are the best exercised to do without much strongman equipment?
>>
powerlift
>>
>>35084982

Pretty much all the big compound lifts. Unlike powerlifting, where its about being as good as possible on the core three lifts, strongman is about being good in just about any heavy lift (although obviously individuals have preferences as to which ones they think help them the most).

Lots of squatting, deadlifting and pressing in various rep ranges and lots of variation in which sort of squatting, deadlifting and pressing you're doing. Plus rows, chins, bench and so on.
>>
>>35084982
Inject dbol and test
50mg x 10 weeks
>>
>>35085033
I've just gotten into powerlifting, trouble is there's almost 0 powerlifting culture where I'm from. it's very difficult to get into properly.
>>35085034
thanks man
>>
>>35085055
I'm kind of actually adverse to using any steroids. How common is it for strongmen to use them? I kind of have this childlike fascination with them, like I look up to them and aspire to be like them. a couple of my favourites are Brian Shaw, Zydrunas, Robert Oberst, Hafthor, Warrick Brant and maybe Nick Best. What are the chances they use steroids? Do strongmen get tested and such in competition?
>>
>>35085102

Everyone at the high level is on gear (how much varies - from what I've been told out of your list you'd have someone like Warrick Brant at the low end on only a moderate testosterone dosage and a little other stuff pre contest up to Zydrunas being on everything that he can get his hands on). There's no testing in regular strongman, but there are a few separate drug-tested competitions. The guys involved are still impressive but it ain't the same as WSM.
>>
>>35085102
HAHAHA oh boy
>>
>>35085157
i know, im naive as fuck
>>35085134
thanks for a real answer dude
>>
>>35085134
You can't really say what somebody is on by their success. It's likely that they're all on a moderate level and Z is just a freak.
>>
>>35085190

I've had a few chances to hang around some of the higher level guys in person (Warrick and Boyer more than the others, what with them living in the same area as me). People talk and most of them are pretty open about usage.

For various reasons, aussie competitors tend to be on the lower end of steroid usage.
>>
>>35085237
is boyer on stuff? He's looking pretty good these days, he looks a bit old though because of the weight he's lost, but he's looking stronger than ever imo
>>
>>35085246

Now? Dunno.

Back when he was competing? Shit yes.
>>
>>35085263
how'd you meet him? He's one of the ones I want to meet most
>>
>>35084982
If you cant find any heavy equipment just lift your mom
>>
>>35085276
I was balls deep inside of your mother (this was about 18 years ago) and when I was walking out of her room he was the second person in line and I noticed his gains (looking tight, solid, juicy, etc), we talked lifting for a bit then I left him after it was his turn.
Nice guy
>>
>>35084982
Im planning on competing in a few years, going for the smaller weight contest under 100kg
Minimum you wanna do is 200kg deadlift for decent reps, and 100kg push press for reps.
Everything else need specific training
>>
>>35084982
Strongman usually has a lot of pressing heavy shit overhead, a lot of deadlifting heavy shit, and a lot of carrying heavy shit for a distance. There's almost always some sort of variation of these 3 lifts.

So while powerlifters focus on the squat, bench press and deadlift, your priorities should probably be overhead press, deadlift and loaded carries and variations of these. Although squatting is obviously still important. Lots of ab work will do you good too. As will lifting odd objects such as tires, kegs, anvils, stones - that kind of stuff. Anything that can challenge you, really.
>>
>>35085721
Also farmers walks, I havent worked out my goals for this yet, as its what im finding easiest to progress with
>>
>>35085720
cool
>>35085721
I'll probably be competing in a few years as well, i'm hoping i'll be comp ready in 2 but I doubt it
>>35085777
thanks, I know you need a very strong core
>>
>>35085806
Cardio is important aswell, if you catch strongtoastt,talk to him, I think he is a strongman and a powerlifter
>>
>>35085836
cardio is not my best asset yet haha, but i do know it's a big part of strongman, and cheers, i'll google him
>>
>>35084982
Get decently strong then work on volume. 1RMs aren't as big of a deal as 3-8RMs. Lots of overhead, lots of incline, front squats, paused squats.
>>
>>35085856
what would you say is decently strong? I'm 20 m, so is there an average you would estimate? It knno it's almost impossible to say but anything would be appreciated
>>
>>35085841
Strongtoast is a trip on this board.
Have you got a prowler at your gym?
>>
>>35085897
What do you mean by prowler? There's a couple guys that do some hardcore powerlifting at my gym if that's what you mean, but they're pretty big dicks
>>
>>35085891
Squat 1.5 x body weight (BW)
Deadlift 2 x BW double overhand without straps (remember that strongman is a heavy grip sport)
Power Clean 1 x BW
Push-Press 1 x BW
Bench Press 1 x BW

I got this of 70s big, I think its a good start before you train exact movements
>>
>>35085909
No prowler is a sled you can put weight on, its good cardio and pretty releventfor sstrongman contests
>>
>>35085891
>>35085910
I think doing farmer's walks with around your bodyweight in each hand is a good milestone to shoot for as well. It may sound like a lot at first, but I know a 16 year old who's doing it.
>>
>>35085919
lol, thought maybe it meant someone who's in this sort of culture. Nah, not at my gym, there's not much in the way of stuff for strongman aside from bench/squat stuff
>>
File: OS-P2S.jpg (34 KB, 450x456) Image search: [Google]
OS-P2S.jpg
34 KB, 450x456
>>35085909
My prowler looks like this, you put weights on the uprights, I put rope around the handles, pull it towards means, then run it back
>>
>>35085936
actually that reminded me, we do have something similar, it's the walking squat looking thing? You put the weights on the upright bars, squat it up then walk it. similar to a farmers walk
>>
>>35085923
Actually sounds like a solid goal, im doing 100 metre runs at the moment, but I do it by pinching plates
>>
>>35085947
It's called a Yoke walk. Very relevant for Strongman. Also a bit more technical than one might think.
>>
>>35085954
that's the one, yoke. Mind explaining how technical it is? Trying to learn as much as possible
>>
>>35084982
>I want to compete in a big strongman competition one day

every single one of the top guys has 850+ squat, 950+deadlift and 400+ ohp

even in my shitty country at regional championships guys regularly pull 700 for reps
>>
>>35085960
http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/sports-performance/technical-breakdown-of-the-yoke-walk/
This article might be helpful.

>>35085948
>but I do it by pinching plates
While plate pinching is a cool tool for general gripping strength I think you will find that it isn't specific enough for strongman training. Everything in strongman involves really heavy weights and your training should reflect that most of the time.

Always try to adhere to the Princple of Specificity if you want your training to have any meaningful impact on your competition performance.
>>
>>35085960
Ahh man you got a yoke, nicecantcant train for it so I cant, it looks like your grab the side bars to flex your traps and you walk until death.
>>
completly agree on the plate grip, but until I start training at a strongman gym, its the best I can do.
>>
>>35086012
You can always grab two barbells.
>>
>>35086029
I cant due to the nature of my gym, the weight room is real tight and your noy alouf to take weights outside of it
>>
>>35086039
Find a different gym asap. Not just for the sake of equipment, atmosphere or rules, but it's also incredibly important to surround yourselves with people who are much stronger than you.
Nothing will halt your progress like being the big fish in the small pond. Get out in the ocean. When you meet people who are pressing your best deadlift overhead that really puts things into perspective.
>>
>>35084982
In the gym: Squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, pullups, presses, and LOTS of grip work. Train for strength, hypertrophy and endurance. Supersetting is a good way to build the kind of endurance you need for strongman (30-90 seconds of extremely intense effort).
Outside of the gym: it is pretty easy to build a lot of strongman implements for cheap or free, as long as you have somewhere to store them and somewhere to use them. Tractor tire is easy, businesses give old ones away all the time, call around. Prowler, farmer's walk, and axle can all be built out of metal pipe on the cheap and easy. Round, smooth stones can be found in any river, find one that is the right weight for you. You can usually get an empty keg from liquor stores for cheap or even free if it's old, fill it with sand or water. There are plenty more, get creative and have fun with it, strongman training is hella cool.
>>
>>35085910
>Bench Press 1 x BW
>decently strong

are you serious right now?
>>
>>35086083
While I agree that 1xBW on the bench press can't be considered strong, you have to keep in mind that the bench press isn't trained very much by strongmen. It's something you do every once in a while or maybe during periods where you want to bulk up.
The emphasis is on overhead pressing. That's where the volume is done. That's where the technique is practiced.
>>
>>35086083
Bench press really doesn't matter much at all in strongman
>>
>>35086058
For know I use this gym for general training, there are very strong people in my gym, its also free as I work there. There is a strongman gym I will train in once im close to strong enough.
Ps, if your the one I been talking to for a while, its nice to see someone who knows there shit
>>
>>35086083
Im the guy who posted that, but yeah it seems low, but not relevent
>>
>>35084982
Squats and Deads fairly obviously. Lots of overhead work. Get a sandbag and practise doing various lifts with that if you don't have access to stones or whatnot.
>>
>>35086072
The keg is true, I know a barman, got one filled that fucker with sand, great training tool
>>
>>35085988
I know that, they're called goals man
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.