[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I squat heavy 2x a week and deadlift once in the middle. My squats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1448163283078.gif (2 MB, 214x279) Image search: [Google]
1448163283078.gif
2 MB, 214x279
I squat heavy 2x a week and deadlift once in the middle. My squats are 3x5 and deadlift is 1x5

how can i reconcile this routine and still do my cardio aka running. If I squat that much, i have a tough as fuck time just running and working on my cardio. Should i cut down my working sets to 2x5 or something?
>>
I'd probably do
mon: squat + deadlift
tue: run
thur: squat
fri: run
>>
>>35081236
i already do that and its killer on my legs
>>
lifting & cardio are opposite adaptations. If you want to improve cardio, do 15+ reps for endurance. You will loose strength however.
>>
run after lifting. trust me, you wont feel it... how much running are you doing anyway?
>>
>>35081414
Do lower impact cardio. Swimming or memeliptical or even row machine.

It also depends on what your goals are. Just squat less and run more if you want to lose weight, but if you want to gain strength, just stop running.
>>
>>35081436
>run after lifting. trust me, you wont feel it... how much running are you doing anyway?

im getitng used to it

im doing some shit where i add 2 minutes + 1/10ths of a mile on the treadmill. In the summer i used to be able to run at 7.5 for 55 minutes but now im doing 6.4 for 40 minutes

after the treadmil, I go run outside and add a lap each time i run.

right now I run 40 minutes @ 6.4 mph and go run outside for 1.25 miles. Each lap is 1/8th of a mile so that's how much i add each run

i know it doesnt make sense running like that but my legs give out before my cardio so i do the treadmil running first which doesnt mess up my legs to bad then i spend the rest of my leg stamina on the track
>>
File: 1448163762722.gif (2 MB, 355x266) Image search: [Google]
1448163762722.gif
2 MB, 355x266
>>35081214
>>
File: 1448162282811.jpg (172 KB, 746x1128) Image search: [Google]
1448162282811.jpg
172 KB, 746x1128
>>35081214
>>
>>35081214
I do HIIT 5 times a week and Squat 6 times a week. I heared not being a pussy really helps with this.
>>
>>35081747
>hiit is less or equally compatible for strength than prolonged distance running
>>
>>35081236
>>35081414
mon deads and run
tues run
thurs squat and run
fri run
>>
>>35081779
run before or after legs
>>
>>35081439
> but if you want to gain strength, just stop running.

bullshit.

OP, just define your goal and focus on it. If is Squad, then go easier on running. If running, then go easier on squad. Such Intensity and frequency are not so bad for recovery, you just have to learn to hear your body.
If the problem is soreness then just keep training, your body will adapt.
>>
>>35081831
im wrestling soon so for now my goal is to improve cardio. i have like 3 weeks to get into as good shape as i can and right now im also cutting at 1 lb a week.

I want to make my consistent squat gains while still being able to work on my running / overall conditioning
>>
>>35081796
after so you aren't fatigued to hit the weights.
>>
>>35081927

If you have access to a prowler or weighted sled, that would be the best way to condition (you can make intervals that are very specific to your sport) whilst interfering with gains the least due to no eccentric. Rowing is also a half decent option.

Running is more difficult to recover from because it has an eccentric component and impact.
>>
>>35081927
As I said, you have to define your main goal and then training around it. Like >>35082028 said, maybe it's better to do something else then running if you are going to do wrestling and then later you can quit any cardio because fighting is enough cardio.
>>
>>35082028
i think my gym has it

problem is wrestling is a huge pain in the ass in terms of the cardio demand. Maybe I can switch to rowing but when i was practicing, we'd run at least like 8 miles total (sprints, long distance warm up, ect) and i'd lose like 10 lbs of water weight a practice. I need to be prepared for that so im not sure if the prowler would help
>>
>>35082209

If your gym has a prowler then congrats, you have a pretty good gym. Here's a good article on it:

http://startingstrength.com/articles/death_by_prowler_reynolds.pdf

I'm guessing wrestling is short bursts for an extended period of time. Prowler is fantastic for training that. It also mimics the kinetic chain of wrestling far better than running does.

Long distance running (or roadwork) is an antiquated way of training for combat sports and we know now that it's nowhere near optimal for conditioning for those sports.
>>
>>35082301
alright i'll do that and try to run after squats

wrestling is a lot of things, it's hard to train for outside of training for it. you need endurance, explosiveness, shitton of cardio, ect. A lot of these things conflict
>>
>>35081430
>you will lose strength from lifting weights
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.