[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is it to avoid carbs while losing weight? Should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: Rice2.jpg (27 KB, 550x391) Image search: [Google]
Rice2.jpg
27 KB, 550x391
How important is it to avoid carbs while losing weight? Should I avoid rice/bread entirely?
>>
Yes.
>>
No.
>>
Maybe.
>>
Ask again later.
>>
I don't know.
>>
>>35070096
>>35070143
>>35070159
this just sums /fit/ up perfectly.
>>
Only eat bread pudding and rice pudding bro, their carbs have been denatured by the puddi process.
>>
Signs point to yes
>>
File: P1240237x[1].jpg (229 KB, 575x438) Image search: [Google]
P1240237x[1].jpg
229 KB, 575x438
>>35070086

It's not important, just don't eat shitty carb sources
>>
>>35070209
What are examples of bad carb sources? And what are good ones?
>>
>>35070086
you should meet your protein requirements for the day and then eat whatever you want without reaching your maintenance caloric intake.

e.g. you want to lose weight with a caloric deficit of 500 cals and your maintenance level is at 2300 calories.

1st. You reach your protein requirements let´s, for example say 140 grams. 0.8g per lb (let's say you only got it from tuna which is like 90% protein) and you already ate 900 calories
2nd. you still have 900 calories where you can eat whatever you want to reach 1800 calories where you'll be at 500 cal deficit.

though this a cool way to lose fat disregarding micronutrients and eating tuna on the long run will be bad for your health
>>
>>35070086
The only thing that matters when losing weight is to run a caloric deficit.
Carbs has more calories per g then protein so eating protein and fats will make you feel full for longer than eating carbs.
>>
File: 1429429800031.jpg (182 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1429429800031.jpg
182 KB, 800x600
>>35070222

>Bad

White rice, white bread, white pasta, soda, candies, processed foods like poptarts and chips

>Good

Oatmeal, 100% whole wheat breads and pastas, barley, brown rice, fruits of all kinds, starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes and plantains, beans, and peas
>>
>>35070222
Are carbs are bad.
>>
>>35070086
Not that important I'd say. I eat a mostly Asian diet so even with almost daily consumption of white rice, my cut's sill going alright. Jut don't eat too much of it is all. Of course, it's best if you stick to the healthy stuff like brown rice. I also like to stay from soda and candy and what have you. But that's just a personal preference because

>muh sugar intake

4 months into SS.
>>
>>35070231
Good to know thanks. I thought less carbs = better because they're the bodies immediate energy source and if you deny it easy access to those sugars it will have to start metabolizing fat
>>
>>35070450

Anything else you eat is going to be used for fuel before your body fat gets tapped into. Calorie deficit is what matters.
>>
File: 1393467530355.png (93 KB, 258x252) Image search: [Google]
1393467530355.png
93 KB, 258x252
>>35070504
>using protein as fuel

uwotm8?
>>
>>35070335
>white rice is bad brown rice is good

There's almost no difference between white and brown rice
>>
>>35070568
Brown is tastier and better
>>
I wanna get rid of my moobs. I'm not that overweight (BMI of ~32). Is dieting enough?
>>
File: we abs now.jpg (70 KB, 638x575) Image search: [Google]
we abs now.jpg
70 KB, 638x575
>>35070086

http://hownew.ru/faggot

and

http://readthe.fucking.sticky

these two websites helped me a lot when I started to browse fit. Would recommend/10
>>
>>35070568

>more fiber, relatively slow-digesting, comes with the benefits of whole grain foods (lower cholesterol, lower insulin, anti-cancer properties, etc)
>>
>>35070621
>(BMI of ~32).
You are overweight dude, I know because I'm around that BMI and I know how I look.

Diet and lifting with a side of cardio is how I'm attacking the problem.
>>
>>35070711
It is overweight but not by much. I'm cutting down at the moment but don't want to be left with smaller thighs and ass but still have tits.
>>
>>35070727
>It is overweight but not by much
32 is obese. I'm 32 and I have a huge gut
>>
>>35070772
It's a girl fuccboi.
>>
>>35070568

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3996977/

>Although rice has been a staple food for thousands of years in India,3 advancements in milling technologies to improve yield and shelf life4 have led to highly polished, starchy white rice (WR). Unlike unpolished brown rice (BR), WR lacks phytochemicals such as polyphenols, oryzanol, phytosterols, tocotrienols, tocopherols, and carotenoids, as well as vitamins and minerals that confer protection against heart disease and cancer

>The BR (Brown Rice) 5-day average glycemic response (IAUC) was significantly lower than that for the WR (White Rice) diet: BR versus WR percentage difference (95% CI), −19.8% (−32.8%, −6.7%) (P=0.004). Adding legumes to the BR diet (the BRL diet) further decreased the glycemic response: BRL versus WR percentage difference (95% CI), −22.9% (−41.8%, −4.0%) (P=0.02).
>The percentage change over the 5-day study period in fasting insulin was 57% lower (P=0.0001) for the BR diet and 54% lower for the BRL diet compared with the 5-day percentage change observed in the WR group

White rice a shit
>>
>>35070772
Shit, my bad. I have a BMI of 27. Don't know how I goofed that badly. I'm just barely overweight but have those pokey tits.
>>
>>35070791
>moobs
>girl
>>
>>35070711
At the same level. M8, attack from all sides. Go good diet along with heavy protein, and carb only on cardio days. We're rooting for you.
>>
>>35070791
>poster says he wants to get rid of his moobs
>moobs

It's a dude you fucking shitmonger
>>
>>35070842

>good diet
>heavy protein, and carb only on cardio days

Oxymoron
>>
>hurr durr white rice is bad for you
Kill yourselves dumbasses
>>
>>35070853
>heavy protein, and carb only on cardio days

>Not having cardio day every day

Confirmed for not making it
>>
>>35070950

>hurr durr I like white rice so it must be good for you for no reason
>>
I wouldn't go over 200 grams daily personally.
>>
eat 2 grams protein for each kg of weight

add carbs/fat for satiety/enjoyment

keep a caloric deficit

all there is to it.
>>
Do not worry fellow fatty, just be alive a little longet and soon we will have a pill to cure the fatness

>Boston-based Zafgen (for which Sharma serves as a paid advisor) is going after methionine aminopeptidase 2 (MetAP2) receptors in the liver and adipose tissue. “We’ve been one of the first ones to show that there is a significant and major weight-regulation center that the body has that exists outside the hypothalamus,” says Zafgen chief medical officer Dennis Kim. “Our drug [beloranib] is tapping into that mechanism.”
>>
>>35070568

are you some kind of autist?

white rice is white because all the nutrients and good stuff is sucked out of it

white rice isn't TERRIBLE.....but brown rice is definitely better for you
>>
>>35071043
>white rice is white because all the nutrients and good stuff is sucked out of it
So, rice is a lot like people then.
>>
File: 100.jpg (26 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
26 KB, 100x100
>>35070086
Right, the only type of bread you should eat is 100% whole wheat bread, because it's not filled with shit. Everything should be taken in moderation and should only help hit your macros. Rice gives a lot of energy per calorie, but again you have to hit your macros.
>>
>>35070516
That's exactly what your body does when you eat more protein than you need. There's no reason to eat 1g/lb at all. Don't fall for the shill
>>
>>35070800
glycemic response only matters to pre-diabetics

>>35070086
you need to eat carbs for proper test levels and glycogen reserves.
don't fall for the keto meme, it doesn't help you lose bodyfat any faster, or preserve muscle any more.

just get your daily .82g/lb protein (i usually go slightly under this, since this is the absolute maximum at which point more protein has no affect on body composition - even though it still contributes to protein anabolism)
and your daily .35g/lb fats (no need for sat fats, but if you do eat sat fats, source no more than 7% of your calories from them. your body does technically need saturate fats to exist, but it can create all of these saturated fats endogenously)

the rest of your calories should come from carbs.

ideally 40% of you calories should come from carbs, but depending on how strict your caloric goals are, that may not be feasible.

i highly highly recommend intermittent fasting, and kinobody has some great info in that aspect.

basically just go 5-8 waking hours without a meal (you can have black coffee to blunt the appetite, or a bit of fruit to replenish liver glycogen, just no real "meal"), and then you can essentially eat until you feel comfortable (don't be a glutton, just don't starve yourself - eat until you are no longer hungry) for the rest of the day, and stay under your caloric goal without counting calories (not to say you shouldn't track them, or tracking won't help - i would also consider tracking calories necessary for the first week, just so you get an idea of how much food you need)

also if you find yourself cutting too hard (1200kcal or under) and doing lots of cardio (say 2 hours daily) and still not making any progress.

you need to do less cardio and eat more.

sounds scary and like the opposite of what you should do, but your cortisol levels are too high, and your body is trying to metabolically adapt to its low intake by lowering its BMR (and thus your TDEE)

eating more will fix this..
>>
>>35071127
this.

excess protein is basically expensive carbohydrates.
>>
>>35071237

>blood sugar and insulin levels only matter to pre-diabetics

Nigga you gonna BE pre-diabetic if you keep eating that shit
>>
>>35071237
>don't fall for the keto meme, it doesn't help you lose bodyfat any faster, or preserve muscle any more.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16403234

>and then you can essentially eat until you feel comfortable for the rest of the day, and stay under your caloric goal without counting calories
i should mention, it normally takes a day or three of fasting, before you start getting elevated levels of grehlin (the hormone that helps prevent over-eating, and thus helps you stay in your calorie goals)
>>
>>35071250
>eating white rice as part of a healthy lifestyle leads to diabetes
top kek.

do you actually believe that, though?
>>
>>35071250
http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/diets/glycemic-index-and-your-health
>>
>>35071250
No you fucking idiot. If you ate white rice instead of brown rice for the rest of your life, you're not going to end up being pre-diabetic.
That study fucking sucks. It had 15 people and used shitty surrogate endpoints. Data was collected for only 5 days. The point of the study was more a validation test for using continuous glucose monitoring as a means of collecting data than proving brown rice is better than white rice.
>>
>>35071275

>eats white rice
>pretends to have a healthy lifestyle

>>35071290

>>35070800
>>
Not all carbs are equal. Eat high fiber foods, and avoid sugar refined carbs like bread, especially if sugar is added. If you need sugar get it from fruit since fruit is usually high in fiber.
>>
>>35071314
that link actually showed glycemic index only matters to diabetics.

also
>thinking white rice is unhealthy

show a picture of yourself, because i have a hunch people who believe shit this retarded are obese as fuck, and need something (carbs, white rice, whatever) to blame their obesity on.

like that guy who only ate chicken breast, brown rice, and broccoli for like 3 years, and was type III obese

nonrestrictive dieting is objectively healthier than restrictive dieting.

there is no proof or evidence the glycemic response of white rice is more harmful than brown rice to non-diabetics
>>
>>35071250
>>blood sugar and insulin levels only matter to pre-diabetics
as long as they are within normal range (i.e. the range one would get eating rice or whatever) yeah...

there is no real reason for people who aren't pre-diabetic to track their insulin levels or their blood sugar...
>>
>>35071267
when you say a day or three of fasting are you talking about a 16/8 split fast or literally fasting full stop and not eating at all?
>>
>>35070170
hello řęðďîť
>>
>>35071549
i mean intermittent fasting, as in going 5-8 waking hours before eating.

i don't follow strict windows, and kinobody does a prtty good explanation of explaining why a strict plan is more detrimental than useful, imo

all this is just advice, do whatever the FUUCK!! you wanna do
>>
>>35071788
I figured, just wasn't completely clear thanks. I do a 16/8 too just because I enjoy eating two big meals.
>>
>>35070231
this
>>
>>35071800
i highly recommend watching some of kinobody's videos (everything he uploads is just a re-hash of shit he already said, so there is no need to subscribe, but there are a good 5-10 videos of his that are golden).

also, if you feel tempted to buy his program, don't give the jew $48.. that fucker lives in a goddamn mansion

go to pic related instead.

or just ignore his routine altogether, and just lower your volume to compensate for the caloric deficit...
>>
File: 1441804171249.jpg (487 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1441804171249.jpg
487 KB, 2448x3264
>>35070086
fuck you for posting that image while i'm PSMF
>>
File: kinobody link.png (2 KB, 216x27) Image search: [Google]
kinobody link.png
2 KB, 216x27
>>35071901
>pic related
holy fuck i am retarded

the password for the torrent is "intermittentfasting" (no quotes)
>>
File: dogpugskyrim.gif (1017 KB, 500x258) Image search: [Google]
dogpugskyrim.gif
1017 KB, 500x258
>>35071906
>>35071901

thanks breh I will check it out
>>
>>35071314
>thinks eating white rice from time to time makes you unhealthy
i bet you think wheat is the devil too, you memespouting fagtard
>>
File: FallingBack.jpg (160 KB, 900x703) Image search: [Google]
FallingBack.jpg
160 KB, 900x703
Your body is meant to subsist primarily on carbs. Hearty, fiberous carbs though and not processed sugars.

Fad diets like Atkins and trendy bestsellers like wheat belly have ingrained the foolish notion that only fats and proteins are a good fuel source. This is entirely wrong for several reasons. Your body spends a longer time digesting fats and proteins, producing more byproducts and requiring more blood and oxygen to be directed towards the digestive system for longer periods of time. Too much protein fucks with your kidneys and can build up unhealthy levels of urea as a result of the large amounts of nitrogen from protein. The most important reason to consume more healthy carbs, though, is the severe lack of fiber in the Western diet which leads to bloating, inflammation, a malnourished microbiome and subsequent hormonal disorders, digestive troubles, and an increased risk for several cancers down the line.

Eat complex carbs, op. They're more important than you'd think. Too many chumps grouping cupcakes with cantaloupe when they demonize carbs.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.